XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

I just changed from ARPL to ARPL-18n and updatet from latest 7.1 to 7.2

in 7.2, everything works good so far (haven't tested every bit) but I found resource monitor not working:

Every field is empty, nothing is monitored. (in the Info Center under System, CPU info, cores, freq, memory and even thermal status are reported correctly)

Anything I could have missed while building the loader?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-08 um 13.09.06.pdf

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-08 um 13.09.20.pdf

My install is baremetal on a  TX5240 M1 3622xs+

Edited by jollmo

2 minutes ago, Rick4 said:

Tried to burn ARC loader to a 60GB Corsair SSD, set it to an old ITX motherboard, it can boot very fast: 

IMG_20230708_152625.jpg

And after that SSD pulled out, push back  to newest topton mini pc, set all, booted, looks like all same, loader shows IP address, but never can reach through browser or syno assistant..

IMG_20230708_153255.jpg

Edited by Rick4

3 hours ago, Rick4 said:

And after that SSD pulled out, push back  to newest topton mini pc, set all, booted, looks like all same, loader shows IP address, but never can reach through browser or syno assistant..

IMG_20230708_153255.jpg

So looks like loader works without any issues, i found server with advanced ip scanner, can browse folders, but disappears after build loader and trying to start. 

aipsc.jpg

I would like to replace loader arpl 1.1beta2 with arpl ln18. I'm on dsm 7.1.1-42962 update 6. I don't like to reinstall dsm and lose data,sertings and packages. If I create loader to new usb and choose same model and build number will I be able to direct boot to same dsm with same settings and packages as before?

3 hours ago, dejimmy said:

I would like to replace loader arpl 1.1beta2 with arpl ln18. I'm on dsm 7.1.1-42962 update 6. I don't like to reinstall dsm and lose data,sertings and packages. If I create loader to new usb and choose same model and build number will I be able to direct boot to same dsm with same settings and packages as before?

Yes, just make a new disk with aARPL-18n, build loader, boot loader and you are good to go.

I just did it, it had to 'migrate' upon booting 7.2.2 though, everything went fine.

Tbh I was just so angry I had to make a new bootloader again, because I thought the arpl 1.1beta2 was going to manage it well, unfortunately it doesn't work with the new DSM versions.

3 hours ago, Randomized said:

Yes, just make a new disk with aARPL-18n, build loader, boot loader and you are good to go.

I just did it, it had to 'migrate' upon booting 7.2.2 though, everything went fine.

Tbh I was just so angry I had to make a new bootloader again, because I thought the arpl 1.1beta2 was going to manage it well, unfortunately it doesn't work with the new DSM versions.

fabio left the message below on April 7th.

fabio's original ARPL has v1.1-beta2a and is no longer being developed.
This version is only supported up to DSM 7.1.

6 hours ago, Randomized said:

I've already tried. But I got this. I believe "recover" will only recover files and that I have to get message "migrate"?

Screenshot 2023-07-08 215228.png

14 hours ago, dejimmy said:

I've already tried. But I got this. I believe "recover" will only recover files and that I have to get message "migrate"?

Screenshot 2023-07-08 215228.png

You are good to go, i had to do a 'recover' too.

Just make sure you're using the same model (ds920+), sn and mac, and just press recover.

On 7/8/2023 at 4:57 PM, Randomized said:

Where is ARPL-18n?

Well, I don't know what to think after that full day spent understanding what happens.

Yesterday I installed ARPL-i18n and it worked out of the box using DS923+ on a i5-10500 CPU (Optiplex 5080)

Wanting to enable Hardware transcoding with patched i915 (which never worked, I must miss something), I realized that maybe the AMD based DS was not shipped with the i915 drivers and changed to DS920+ in the loader.

From there, started a full day of black screen ... the loader loads and after the installation of DSM and its reboot, the screen goes black, it doesn't display the loader typical information.

I formatted the drives and used DS918+, same deal.

I changed loader to the original ARPL, formatted drives, same deal.

I changed loader to ARC, ... same black screen

went back to DS923+ on ARPL-i18n and it worked again.

So what is it ??

Also, would I be able to enable HW transcoding ?

Thanks a lot

Edited by Optiplex_Fan

On 7/15/2023 at 6:22 PM, Optiplex_Fan said:

Wanting to enable Hardware transcoding with patched i915 (which never worked, I must miss something), I realized that maybe the AMD based DS was not shipped with the i915 drivers and changed to DS920+ in the loader.

From there, started a full day of black screen ... the loader loads and after the installation of DSM and its reboot, the screen goes black, it doesn't display the loader typical information.

I formatted the drives and used DS918+, same deal.

I changed loader to the original ARPL, formatted drives, same deal.

I changed loader to ARC, ... same black screen

went back to DS923+ on ARPL-i18n and it worked again.

So what is it ??

Also, would I be able to enable HW transcoding ?

Thanks a lot

The screen will turn off on a connected monitor when the video driver is loaded properly. This may be what happens in your case. Have you tried connecting via network?

On 7/8/2023 at 7:57 PM, Randomized said:

You were angry?  The developers here do so much work getting this working for our benefit.  If you don't like it then please make your own loader.

• Like 4

Le 17/07/2023 à 22:33, rok1 a dit :

The screen will turn off on a connected monitor when the video driver is loaded properly. This may be what happens in your case. Have you tried connecting via network?

Yes, I've noticed that on my i5-8500 which is managed properly with the i915 driver.

Though, for the Optiplex with the i5-10500, the screen turns black, but I can no longer access it through the network. nothing happens...

the arp -a command no longer reports its MAC address on the network (I disabled hyper threading in BIOS, so the 920+ should not pose any problem with more threads than expected). I'm really puzzled as why it does that.

I wish I could attach a terminal and see the logs while it boots...

For now, I'll stick with the i5-8500, though I wish to switch to the i5-10500 which is a bit more powerful, though, realistically, not really making this much of a difference between the two.

Did you check in loader builder what modules are included?

Now i'm testing arpl-i18n and mpt3sas is on the list. You just have to mark it to includ to loader. Than rebuild loader.

I have another question. Did any one try to instal DS423+ and use m.2 disk as storage? I'm in vbox and i can only make ssd cache on m.2 disk.

I found that out so I learned that I am having issues seeing the drives after its installed, not sure why though.
I created a VM in ESXI with a HBA and I tried a variety of models and versions and the DS918+ and DS1819+ seemed to work better than the others.

The only NVME's in my system is ESXI File stores I do have 2 Sata SSDs which I plan to use as read write cache... I know its not NVME speed but I figure it should help even ifits a little