Forum Terms and Rules
Last updated: August 1, 2019 @ 12:50 (GDPR compliance)
A valid e-mail address is required to register in the forums. After you agree to the terms listed below, we will send you a validation e-mail. The email will include a link to validate and approve the registration. You will need to complete the validation process to become a member with posting privileges. If for some reason you do not receive the validation email please inform us. Please keep your email current so that you will receive XPEnology notices.
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE PAGE BEFORE CLICKING YES. IT WILL ONLY TAKE YOU 5 MINUTES.
Use of Forums
The following are NOT permitted to be used as Display Names, profile photos or signatures:
- Company / business or commercial names.
- Trademarks (or variations thereof).
- Domain names, web, QR codes, or email addresses.
- Profile photos should NOT be offensive, pornographic, or vulgar.
- Display Name should show respect to the community, thus nothing containing offensive language.
Signatures should NOT contain the following:
- Animations or high-definition graphics.
- Referral or affiliate program graphics/links.
Accounts not in line with the above rules will be edited or deleted without warning.
We expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner which allows others to understand their posts. Posts full of intentional misspellings, all caps, no caps, or similar slang may be deleted in order to preserve a standard of readability. This is a forum, not a blog, SMS or a Twitter platform.
Please remember that we cannot actively monitor the contents of, and are not responsible for, any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of xpenology.com or any entity associated with xpenology.com. All advice voluntarily given by any member in any XPEnology Forum is provided free of charge. XPEnology Forums accepts no liability for the content and is released from any responsibility for information found using Internet links posted on the forum.
Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function or via email. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Do not respond to objectionable messages, use the report button.
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this website to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this website.
In using XPEnology you agree to abide by the following terms and rules:
- Flaming is not tolerated. This includes racism, threatening, personal attacks, victimization or hateful content. Retaliation will not be tolerated either; if a member has broken a rule, please use the report feature on the forum and the staff will deal with the situation appropriately.
- Trolling is not tolerated. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonising other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
- Do not discuss or argue publicly the decision of a moderator in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions.
- Do not take moderation into your own hands. Use the report button instead and a moderator will take the appropriate action.
- Multiple accounts by the same person are not allowed. Duplicate accounts will be banned or deleted without prior notice. If you have access issues please contact us.
- Advertising or business offers of any kind will be immediately deleted and the account associated banned.
- Attachements must come with clear descriptions of what they are and what they do.
- Materials derived from Open Source must include source code, as well as an explanation of what has been done to it.
- Do not post direct or indirect links to warez or pirated pieces of software, this includes cracks, serials and torrents. Posts containing such material will be deleted immediately and the account banned permanently.
- Do not post spyware or any other malware. Doing so will lead to the account being banned.
- Discussion of P2P, torrent sites, or similar download sites of any kind will not be tolerated.
- No posting of copyrighted material. This includes copying and pasting news articles from news websites.
- Use the appropriate language in each section
- Please do not modify in any way someone else's post (either with font or color changes or wording) in your quoted reply except for the only purpose of shortening the quoted post. Non-compliance will lead to the deletion of the post.
- Make and effort and proofread your post first. Poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand and gives unnecessary work to moderators. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.
- Pick the most appropriate title and tags (if any) for your post. A good title makes it easier to find what you are looking for. Using informative tags allows for improved searching of related topics.
- Your topic does not deserve any more attention than others seeking help hence topic titles must reflect their content, and topic titles containing things like: 'please help' 'look here' ' 'urgent' or other inaccurate descriptions will be removed without warning. This includes all-caps titles.
- Bumping of topics without contributing to it in a meaningful way is not permitted.
- Meaningless and useless posts will be removed at Moderator's discretion.
- Do not double or multi-post the same thing across several forums/topics. Such posts will be deleted and only one post allowed to remain.
- 8. Quoting multiple nested quotes is discouraged. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes.
- Avoid quoting entire OPs (Original Posts). It is unnecessary.
- Off-topic responses in an attempt to hijack the thread will be deleted without warning.
- Please do not respond to insults with more insults. Instead use the report button to report inflammatory posts.
- Keep topics related to the forums they are in. Use the internal search engine. It's there for a reason.
- Provide your hardware detailed specs when necessary (such as asking for support).
- Last but not lease, if anyone helps you in resolving your problem then be nice and thank the person!
Personal Messaging Abuse
Personal Messaging is provided to the members of xpenology.com as a service intended to enhance the community experience. The purpose of personal messaging is to allow for discreet conversations to take place between members. This privilege is not to be abused! Solicitation, spamming, or harassment of any kind is strictly forbidden. Any member receiving an inappropriate personal message should forward that message to an Administrator or Moderator right away. Although PM's are normally only accessible by those who send and receive them, they are part of the database and as such, property of xpenology.com. An Administrator, if so inclined, could locate the Private Messages in the database and read them. They are private, but not necessarily secret. In addition, Private Messages are not intended to deprive the Community of valuable information or experiences which could benefit the entire group. Please do not use private messages if the content of the message can be helpful to others.