Forum Terms and Rules updated August 9, 2017
A valid e-mail address is required to register for the forums. After you agree to the terms listed below, we will send you a validation e-mail. The email will include a link to validate and approve the registration. You will need to complete the validation process to become a member with posting privileges. Please keep your email current so that you will receive XPEnology notices.
Please read the entire page before clicking yes.
Use of Forums
The following are NOT permitted to be used as Display Names or profile photos:
- Company / business or commercial names.
- Trademarks (or variations thereof).
- Domain names, web, QR codes, or email addresses.
- Profile photos should not be offensive, pornographic, or vulgar.
- Display Name should show respect to the community, thus nothing containing offensive language.
Additionally, signatures should NOT contain the following:
- Animations or high-definition graphics.
- Referral or affiliate program graphics/links.
Accounts not in line with the above rules will be edited or deleted without warning.
Use the appropriate language in each section.
We expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner which allows others to understand their posts. Posts full of intentional misspellings, all caps, no caps, or similar slang may be deleted in order to preserve a standard of readability. This is a forum, not an SMS or Twitter message.
Please remember that we cannot actively monitor the contents of, and are not responsible for, any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of xpenology.com or any entity associated with xpenology.com. All advice voluntarily given by any member in any XPEnology Forum is provided free of charge. XPEnology Forums accepts no liability for the content and is released from any responsibility for information found using Internet links posted on the forum.
Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function or via email. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this website to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.
You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this website.
In using XPEnology you agree to abide by the following terms and rules:
1. Flaming is not tolerated. This includes racism, threatening, personal attacks, victimization or hateful content. Retaliation will not be tolerated either; if a member has broken a rule, please use the report feature on the forum and the staff will deal with the situation appropriately.
2. Trolling is not tolerated. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
3. Do not discuss or argue publicly the decision of a moderator in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions.
4. Multiple accounts by the same person are not allowed. Duplicate accounts will be banned or deleted. If you have access issues contact support at https://xpenology.com/forum/contact/
5. Bumping of topics without contributing to it in a meaningful way is not permitted.
6. Meaningless and useless posts will be removed at Moderator's discretion.
7. Do not double or multi-post the same thing across several forums/topics. Such posts will be deleted and only one post allowed to remain.
8. Advertising or business offers of any kind will be immediately deleted and the account associated banned.
9. Attachements must come with clear descriptions of what they are and what they do.
10. Materials derived from Open Source must include source code, as well as an explanation of what has been done to it.
11. Do not post direct or indirect links to warez or pirated pieces of software, this includes cracks, serials and torrents. Posts containing such material will be deleted immediately and the account banned permanently.
12. Do not post spyware or any other malware. Doing so will lead to the account being banned.
13. Discussion of P2P, torrent sites, or similar download sites of any kind will not be tolerated.
14. No posting of copyrighted material. This includes copying and pasting news articles from news websites.
1. Please do not modify in any way someone else's post (either with font or color changes or wording) in your quoted reply except for the only purpose of shortening the quoted post. Non compliance will lead to the deletion of the post.
2. Make and effort and proofread your post first. Poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand and gives necessary work to moderators.
3. Pick the most appropriate title and tags (if any) for your post. A good title makes it easier to find what you are looking for. Using informative tags allows for improved searching of related topics.
4. Your topic does not deserve any more attention than others seeking help hence topic titles must reflect their content, and topic titles containing things like: 'please help' 'look here' ' 'urgent' or other inaccurate descriptions will be removed without warning. This includes all-caps titles.
5. Quoting multiple nested quotes is discouraged. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes.
6. Avoid quoting entire OPs (Original Posts). It is unnecessary unless you are quoting part of the OP for a specific prupose.
7. Off-topic responses in an attempt to hijack the thread will be deleted without warning.
8. Please do not respond to insults with more insults. Instead use the report button to report inflammatory posts.
9. Keep topics related to the forums they are in. Use the internal search engine. It's there for a reason.
10. Provide your hardware specs when necessary (such as asking for support).
The privacy of our visitors to xpenology.com is important to us. At xpenology.com, we recognize that privacy of your personal information is important. Here is information on what types of personal information we receive and collect when you use and visit xpenology.com, and how we safeguard your information. We never sell your personal information to third parties.
As with most other websites, we collect and use the data contained in log files. The information in the log files include your IP (internet protocol) address, the time you visited our site and which pages you visited throughout our site.