Jump to content
XPEnology Community

Flash transplant


wool
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

It is possible to get the DS412+ to boot from an external USB drive, I have done this successfully with an A-DATA C802.

Normally the NAS will not boot any old USB you connect to it, regardless of whether the drive is in the front USB port or the back. It turns out the BIOS is locked to only boot a certain VID/PID (F400 for both) so even if you clone the internal USB to an external drive it will not boot.

 

This has been a problem for me.. until now!

 

Attached is a ChipGenius dump of the original onboard controller showing VID/PID, device vendor, device name, manufacturer, product model and device revision. This is obtained by connecting the DS412+ onboard flash to a PC using the pinout in my other post. (synology-orig-flash.png)

 

Also attached is a dump of the original A-DATA C802 (a-data-c802-orig.png)

 

And finally, the modified A-DATA C802 (c802-modded.png) - the DS412+ will happily boot from this with a dd'd clone of the original flash. Happily, the size of this disk is 4G, much larger than the original internal flash (128mb), so now I can work on putting a whole Debian install on the USB drive and have the DS boot it.

 

Also attached is a tool that allows you to change USBest UT165 vendor/etc details (hwupgv1010v3.rar). I wouldn't try it on other USB sticks, verify you have a USBest UT165 with ChipGenius before proceeding.

 

Happy hacking...

synology-orig-flash.png

a-data-c802-orig.png

c802-modded.png

hwupgv1010v3.rar

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hallo,

 

interesting, i kind of think it the other way around, like if i get a dump of a 918+ and write it to usb flash drive on which i can change vid/pid and serial number i will be able to use that usb drive a non synology hardware to boot up the 918+ image? kind of what jun's loader does but instead of changing the vid/pid in the dsm software to the one of the hardware used it will be changing the vid/pid of the hardware to the one dsm expects to find

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry - I won't post a flash dump for legal reasons - take the flash daughterboard out (it's probably USB but confirm) and dump it yourself.

I'm focused on running mainstream Linux on the Synology hardware instead of DSM, because I am not sure the Synology DSM code is sufficiently secure for my application.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you think your method could be used to recover a faulty DS411?

I have one of those and the internal flash got corrupted so it wont boot (blue light of death)

I've tried serial connection to reflash the boot image, but it failed, but if I could create a usb to boot from I've have the NAS back

The boot flash is on-board so cant be removed, but have another working DS411 that I could 'hack' for the image.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

interssring topic !

my spare DS1511+ is able to boot and install DSM, with the original flash module also connected from the backside usb ports.

I am still not able to boot from my cloned USB stick, cloned from the original flash module of synology.
I also tried adding the PID and VID valeus of my own usb-stick, to the Grub config file but that did not work so far..

 

If I understand what you wrote, than I have to hardmod the PID and VID valeus of my own usb-stick, to get it working ?
I don't really understand this part how it works...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

@wool
I'm searching for a compatible USb Stick, is the A-DATA C802 still available to buy ?
I can't find this usb flash drive anymore in stores...
Maybay there is a good other flash drive that would work ??

And using HWUpg tool, saving the configration will back-up everything for emergency ?
What is the best way to back-up the current configuration... ?

My DS1511+ and DS1512+ both use VID/PID F400.. 

How does it actually work ?

Is it just as simple as changing the Vendor name VID PID etc, and click on start ?
How does this changing process works.. ?

Edited by FlorisVN
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10-2-2018 at 12:26 PM, sbv3000 said:

Do you think your method could be used to recover a faulty DS411?

I have one of those and the internal flash got corrupted so it wont boot (blue light of death)

I've tried serial connection to reflash the boot image, but it failed, but if I could create a usb to boot from I've have the NAS back

The boot flash is on-board so cant be removed, but have another working DS411 that I could 'hack' for the image.


Which model is this, DS411+ ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
On 3/25/2018 at 11:53 AM, FlorisVN said:

@wool
I'm searching for a compatible USb Stick, is the A-DATA C802 still available to buy ?
I can't find this usb flash drive anymore in stores...
Maybay there is a good other flash drive that would work ??

And using HWUpg tool, saving the configration will back-up everything for emergency ?
What is the best way to back-up the current configuration... ?

My DS1511+ and DS1512+ both use VID/PID F400.. 

How does it actually work ?

Is it just as simple as changing the Vendor name VID PID etc, and click on start ?
How does this changing process works.. ?

I still have some 8GB USB sticks with Synology / Diskstation identification. If anyone needs help, just contact me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Hi guys, I need your help. I was trying to install DSM 7 into my DS1511+ using the method to make the unit think it is capable of. Unfortunately, I didn't make any backup of the drive because I didn't have any data on it. I also know the procedure because I've done this before. It was DS1512+ that I hacked to install DS1513+.

After rebooting the system, it generates random MAC addresses every time and I can't reinstall DSM, it does not show up in the synology assistant.

1-Any ideas how I can read the contents of the drive?
2-Is there a way to reinstall the basic OS to recover the system to a point the unit can be recognized by the synology assistant?
3- The VGA port only shows this, but I don't know if it was showing something else before the issue. Using find.synology.com gives me an error.
4-I've never heard about xpenology, can I use it to reinstall the system? Will it be like the original one or will it act as a "hacked/similar" system?
5-Would it work if somebody shares a default image for me, therefore I can restore it to my disk?

Any help is welcome.

syno1.jpg

syno2.jpg

syno3.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm very late to this thread but here goes...

 

I have a DS412+ which isn't being supported for a DSM 7 update so I'd like know if its possible to boot to USB loaded with a +918 image, since its essentially the same hardware?  

Edited by 7up_
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DSfuchs said:

Yes, you can. But the right model will be one with Intel Cedarview CPU like RS814+.

The DS412+ then becomes a true RS814+ Synology.

It is not a boot process via Xpenology or TCRP!
With the above I got a DS710+/4GB working fine as a DS3615xs. However, the DS412+ does not run with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2022 at 10:19 PM, AndreROS said:

Hi guys, I need your help. I was trying to install DSM 7 into my DS1511+ using the method to make the unit think it is capable of. Unfortunately, I didn't make any backup of the drive because I didn't have any data on it. I also know the procedure because I've done this before. It was DS1512+ that I hacked to install DS1513+.

After rebooting the system, it generates random MAC addresses every time and I can't reinstall DSM, it does not show up in the synology assistant.

1-Any ideas how I can read the contents of the drive?
2-Is there a way to reinstall the basic OS to recover the system to a point the unit can be recognized by the synology assistant?
3- The VGA port only shows this, but I don't know if it was showing something else before the issue. Using find.synology.com gives me an error.
4-I've never heard about xpenology, can I use it to reinstall the system? Will it be like the original one or will it act as a "hacked/similar" system?
5-Would it work if somebody shares a default image for me, therefore I can restore it to my disk?

Any help is welcome.

syno1.jpg

syno2.jpg

syno3.jpeg

@DSfuchs any ideas regarding my doubts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...