XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

3 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Could be multiple things but I would recommend you check if the adapter you are using is a straight through adapter. If that is the case then that could be the problem. You need a null modem adapter not a straight through adapter. See the difference in pin correspondance. What really matters are pins 2,3 and 5. Other pins could be disconnect that it would not matter.

Simple Null Modem Cable

Null Modem.jpg

Simple Straight Through Cable

Strait Through.jpg

"You can use a hand held DMM to test continuity on the individual pins of your serial cable [adapter]. If every pin is electrically connected to the corresponding pin on the other end, i.e.: pin 1 to pin1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. then the cable is straight through." Quote from http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1EE0DD8AF67922FA86256F720071DECF

I would suggest you to open a new thread for further support on this serial connectivity issue as it is off-topic. I will take it from there.

Thank you, sorry about the off-topic. I'll go to a new thread if needed. 

Installed on HP gen7  AMD N57L

Everything seems great, but encrypted directory does not work. It can create directories, but i cannot create or upload file.

What's wrong?

Will AMD be supported or better to use the  ESXI?

Edited by Alex31337

10 hours ago, jarzyn said:

@Polanskiman regarding mine disk problem do you have any idea what could possibly be wrong?

Or maybie it would be better to install linux and under this os run virtual machine with xpenology?

IDE will not work. Disable IDE in the bios. Enable AHCI. Make sure BIOS is up to date.

Also, use the Synology Assistant app instead of find.synology.com.

Ultimately if it still doesn't work you coud simply install a host OS/EXSI and run DSM as a VM. 

I am using dsm 5.2-5967.
The latest version of 6.0 ~ 6.x.x is not available.
This is because amd is not supported by the class loader.
The latest loader, the 1.02b loader, will boot but will not find any devices on the network.
I am using AMD G-T48E 1.4 GHz Dual Core 64bit APU.
I am using Realtek RTL 8111e LAN card.
I sent the above to Jun, but it is hard to wait.
I hope you will be supported by the following loaders.

20 hours ago, pauldiaz said:

Hi Just Asking I'm running DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 8

what update can I take ?

Thank you

As stated in the OP:

On 10/28/2016 at 11:18 PM, Polanskiman said:

10 - When the migration is finished you will most probably have to update some of your packages. You can then proceed and update DSM 6.0 up to DSM 6.0.2-8451 update 11. It is possible you might either need to hard reboot or re-image your usb drive. DO NOT UPDATE DSM TO VERSIONS 6.0.3, 6.1, 6.1.1 or 6.1.2 with loader v1.01. Make sure to deactivate auto-updates within DSM.

Install type: New Bare Metal
with 1.02b (ds3615)
Machine: Lenovo TS140 Xeon

Extras : Intel Pro/1000 VT 
SATA PCI Card

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help - I've tried installing on a bare metal machine with the above using the guide but the machine can't be found when searched for - its not appearing on my routers attached devices either.

I've tried installing it with Extra.lzma file and everything works except the SATA PCI Card (so I know the Grub config file is setup correctly etc.) so I lose a few hard drives.

I've tried booting from uefi and legacy but with the same results.

I've also tried disabling the onboard Nic.

On 28-10-2016 at 6:18 PM, Polanskiman said:

Note 1: If after following the tutorial you can’t find your NAS through http://find.synology.com ou Synology Assistant it is highly possible that the drivers of your NIC are not included in the ramdisk of the loader. In doubt, just ask.

My NIC's (I have two) are not recognized on my AMD machine. Is there anyway to solve this?

I have the Realtek PCIe GBe family controller series v2.46

Edited by twan74

10 hours ago, neeiro said:

Install type: New Bare Metal
with 1.02b (ds3615)
Machine: Lenovo TS140 Xeon

Extras : Intel Pro/1000 VT 
SATA PCI Card

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help - I've tried installing on a bare metal machine with the above using the guide but the machine can't be found when searched for - its not appearing on my routers attached devices either.

I've tried installing it with Extra.lzma file and everything works except the SATA PCI Card (so I know the Grub config file is setup correctly etc.) so I lose a few hard drives.

I've tried booting from uefi and legacy but with the same results.

I've also tried disabling the onboard Nic.

This topic deals with loader v1.01 not v1.02b.

Using the custom ramdisk extra.lzma I posted in the OP with v1.02b will simply not work because 6.0.2 and 6.1 have a different kernel.

Please clarify what you problem is. You first paragraph states that your box is not found on the network but in the second paragraph you say everything works.

20 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Check consol boot logs to know what is happening.

Once DSM is loaded? in 5.2 I was able to see each driver loaded on screen before getting to the point where DSM was ready. In jun's loader thats not possible so I assume I can see it in DSM correct?

15 minutes ago, madhits45 said:

Once DSM is loaded? in 5.2 I was able to see each driver loaded on screen before getting to the point where DSM was ready. In jun's loader thats not possible so I assume I can see it in DSM correct?

No, during boot. You need a serial cable since there is no video output available.

11 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

No, during boot. You need a serial cable since there is no video output available.

Polanskiman is there any other way? Is the log saved on the USB? I have no serial cable and actually no serial port either on this pc.

So am I just SOL?

UPDATE: Looks like there is a bug in the driver and it may need to be patched.. See: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/88232/

Further reference: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/48504/

Could this patch be applied? This is most likely the problem.

Edited by madhits45

Going back to 5.2 some observation's about 5.2.5967 vs 6.0.2

1. My Via Vt6410 loads up regardless if I choose IDE or Raid modes, never had tried raid before but it works amazing. I have tried both modes in the install of DSM 6.0 and neither work so it must be related to the patch linked here:

See: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/88232/

Further reference: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/48504/

Could this patch be applied? This is most likely the problem.

2. In 5.2.5967 I can shutdown and reboot my DSM, in DSM 6.0 I can do neither of these. I actually hear the system attempt shutdown or reboot and the DSM 6 goes offline but the PC remains on. One note is the DSM 5.2.5967 writes some junk to the USB on reboot (only reboot) actually corrupting it when it boots back you can not boot off the USB the next time unless you fix the USB partition, on shutdown this does not happen. This problem is loosely related to this topic from 5.2 see:

If I could get the patch applied from above to the PATA-VIA.KO id be curious if my hard drives showed up then. However I would once again be stuck with a system that can not be shutdown rebooted or anything which is a huge loss. Now the shutdown fix maybe related to the same as the above, DSM trying to write data to the bios. I remember the fix in 5967 stopped the writing to the bios and made it do it to the USB drive. However some (maybe all) usb drives will corrupt if enough of this junk data is written.

Hope you can help with these @Polanskiman or @jun. THANKS IN ADVANCE

I use the Main G41T-M LX 3 Plus.
I created usb as instructed, got booted to black screen. I can not see my nas via find.synology.com or Synology Assistant. Although using the extra.lzma ramdisk. Do not know if this 6.02 boot has LAN port support on this motherboard?
If not, can anyone help me add drivers? Thanks

Edited by nqn_vnn

On 2017/7/26 at 1:32 PM, Polanskiman said:

@Polanskiman  hi,Polanskiman! I have already installed DSM6 on VMware workstation ,using an ISO file and a VMDK file I found in the v1.02a loader package.

but now,I want to upgrade to v1.02b,but I found there's only IMG or ISO file for downloading.

Where can I find the VMDK file for v1.02b?

Or,how can I install DSM6 with v1.02b on VMware workstation,with only IMG or ISO?

On 7/29/2017 at 9:41 PM, neverwinboy said:
@Polanskiman hi,Polanskiman! I have already installed DSM6 on VMware workstation ,using an ISO file and a VMDK file I found in the v1.02a loader package.
but now,I want to upgrade to v1.02b,but I found there's only IMG or ISO file for downloading.
Where can I find the VMDK file for v1.02b?
Or,how can I install DSM6 with v1.02b on VMware workstation,with only IMG or ISO?

You can user the vmdk-file from loader 1.02a as a base for loader 1.02b. It's only text file with information: open it with a text editor and your will see what I mean.

2 hours ago, Balrog said:

You can user the vmdk-file from loader 1.02a as a base for loader 1.02b. It's only text file with information: open it with a text editor and your will see what I mean.

thanks!!!!

Now I'm using the 1.02a loader, if I want to update to 1.02b,will all my data lost?

Can I update with all data stored?