XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate DSM 5.2 to 6.0.2 (Jun's loader)

Polanskiman

Hi! I'm having some issues or doing it wrong... When using 1.01 - 6.0.2 baremetal all worked fine. (I'm using an old Dell Vostro 230 with DS3615xs)

I'm not sure on how to update the bootloader and the DSM, what should I do first, but when I flash the new bootloader (either 1.02a or 1.02b) the system doesn't shows on lan, just with the 1.01 loader. I tried to do the update to 6.1.1 or 6.1.2 with the 1.01 bootloader and then switch of and flashing 1.02b, the system doesn't appears on lan anymore. 

By now I'm just experimenting with xpenology to use that same machine as my first nas once I know how to work with it, so by now I don't mind formating the drives as I don't have any important data yet. 

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am having exactly the same issue with my HP Gen7 (N36L) as described by MarcHT91. It worked only with 1.01 loader otherwise not visible to LAN. I think some drivers must be missing in the newer loaders then 1.01. Is it possible to fix that?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, MarcHT91 said:

Hi! I'm having some issues or doing it wrong... When using 1.01 - 6.0.2 baremetal all worked fine. (I'm using an old Dell Vostro 230 with DS3615xs)

I'm not sure on how to update the bootloader and the DSM, what should I do first, but when I flash the new bootloader (either 1.02a or 1.02b) the system doesn't shows on lan, just with the 1.01 loader. I tried to do the update to 6.1.1 or 6.1.2 with the 1.01 bootloader and then switch of and flashing 1.02b, the system doesn't appears on lan anymore. 

By now I'm just experimenting with xpenology to use that same machine as my first nas once I know how to work with it, so by now I don't mind formating the drives as I don't have any important data yet. 

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Qwertyz said:

Hi, I am having exactly the same issue with my HP Gen7 (N36L) as described by MarcHT91. It worked only with 1.01 loader otherwise not visible to LAN. I think some drivers must be missing in the newer loaders then 1.01. Is it possible to fix that?

Thanks!

When updating DSM, you first need to update and burn the new loader on the usb drive then do the update of DSM. Not the other way around. Make sure to edit the grub.cfg file accordingly.

I have not updated any DSM yet. I have the old 5.2 there but this is test machine so it does not matter. I just wanted to test the new 1.02b loader.

I followed the instructions exactly as in the first post. Modified the grub.cfg with all the VID/PID, SN and MAC information. I also tried 2 variants, first with keeping the original extra.lzma as comes in 1.02b for ds3615xs synoboot.img and second with replacing the extra.lzma with the one linked in the tutorial. But the result is still the same. The machine boots beyond the point where there is no more info on the screen. But then it cannot be found by the Synology Assistant.

I tried this with all the loaders but the only one which was visible in the Synology Assistant is the 1.01. So possibly I can use this one, but then I can install just the 6.0.2, right?

On 6/19/2017 at 3:49 PM, Qwertyz said:

I have not updated any DSM yet. I have the old 5.2 there but this is test machine so it does not matter. I just wanted to test the new 1.02b loader.

I followed the instructions exactly as in the first post. Modified the grub.cfg with all the VID/PID, SN and MAC information. I also tried 2 variants, first with keeping the original extra.lzma as comes in 1.02b for ds3615xs synoboot.img and second with replacing the extra.lzma with the one linked in the tutorial. But the result is still the same. The machine boots beyond the point where there is no more info on the screen. But then it cannot be found by the Synology Assistant.

I tried this with all the loaders but the only one which was visible in the Synology Assistant is the 1.01. So possibly I can use this one, but then I can install just the 6.0.2, right?

With v1.01 only DSM 6.0.2 will work. For DSM 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 you need v1.02b.

The custom extra.lzma provided in the tutorial is only for v1.01 not for v1.02b.

If there is no information on the screen (totally black screen) then it means the loader is simply not booting. There should be at least something as mentioned in the tutorial.

Try the following on a formatted drive. Install DSM 5.2 or DSM 6.0.2 on your test machine (don't use the custom extra.lzma). Turn off the machine when DSM is installed and you can confirm having access to DSM GUI.  Now burn v1.02b and modify the grub.cfg as you did for 5.2 or 6.0.2. When finished plug the usb and re-start the machine. Use Synology Asistant to find the machine and go through the upgrade process.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 6:55 PM, Polanskiman said:

The custom extra.lzma provided in the tutorial is only for v1.01 not for v1.02b.

If there is no information on the screen (totally black screen) then it means the loader is simply not booting. There should be at least something as mentioned in the tutorial.

Try the following on a formatted drive. Install DSM 5.2 or DSM 6.0.2 on your test machine (don't use the custom extra.lzma). Turn off the machine when DSM is installed and you can confirm having access to DSM GUI.  Now burn v1.02b and modify the grub.cfg as you did for 5.2 or 6.0.2. When finished plug the usb and re-start the machine. Use Synology Asistant to find the machine and go through the upgrade process.

This is the only walkaround i haven't tried yet. I'll do it tonight and let you know. 

Thank you!

7 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

The custom extra.lzma provided in the tutorial is only for v1.01 no for v1.02b.

It doesn't works. All ok with 6.0.2 and 1.01 but it doesn't appears on the network after flashing 1.02b

20 minutes ago, MarcHT91 said:

It doesn't works. All ok with 6.0.2 and 1.01 but it doesn't appears on the network after flashing 1.02b

Same here :(

WIth any newer loader (tested on 1.02a and 1.02b) then 1.01 it just displays:

Intro: blablabla :)

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.

Booting the kernel.

Then the light on the flashdrive turns off immediatelly after the Booting the kernel message and nothing happens any more, invisible on LAN.

I even tried to burn the synoboot.img directly without touching it and then configuring using grub command, but the same situation.

I have also tried to disconnect all HDDs but nothing changes.

I hope somebody will come with some idea...

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Qwertyz said:

Same here :(

WIth any newer loader (tested on 1.02a and 1.02b) then 1.01 it just displays:

Intro: blablabla :)

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.

Booting the kernel.

Then the light on the flashdrive turns off immediatelly after the Booting the kernel message and nothing happens any more, invisible on LAN.

I even tried to burn the synoboot.img directly without touching it and then configuring using grub command, but the same situation.

I have also tried to disconnect all HDDs but nothing changes.

I hope somebody will come with some idea...

Thanks.

For you it will just not work since you have an HP Gen7 (N36L) and that is an AMD based machine. Have you read the OP of Jun's thread?

9 hours ago, MarcHT91 said:

"It doesn't work" will not help resolve the issue. Please provide more information. What do you see on screen for example? Do you have access to boot logs via serial? Those would give as a clue of what is happening.

I tested the upgrade procedure myself on a VM with VirtualBox starting from a 6.0.2 fresh install with v1.01, then switching to v1.02b and migrating to 6.1.2 and it all went fine. I can access DSM fine which was not the case with v1.02a2 when I did the test some weeks ago. This means Jun has fixed his patch and now modules are properly copied during migration with v1.02b.

4 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

"It doesn't work" will not help resolve the issue. Please provide more information. What do you see on screen for example? Do you have access to boot logs via serial? Those would give as a clue of what is happening.

I tested the upgrade procedure myself on a VM with VirtualBox starting from a 6.0.2 fresh install with v1.01, then switching to v1.02b and migrating to 6.1.2 and it all went fine. I can access DSM fine which was not the case with v1.02a2 when I did the test some weeks ago. This means Jun has fixed his patch and now modules are properly copied during migration with v1.02b.

Yes, you're right, my bad for not providing any info. I can't access via serial to the computer, is there any way to get a boot log or a dump file? The only thing I've seen behaving different from 1.01 to 1.02b is the network card booting. With 1.01 the computer boots, then the nic goes off (I can see it from the laptop atached to it, it says disconnected) and less than a minute later boots again and the connection to the webgui works. With 1.02b I haven't seen this process going on, it just boots on and stays like this. My guess is than the nic drivers are not loading like they used to do in 1.01. 

Thank you

2 hours ago, MarcHT91 said:

Yes, you're right, my bad for not providing any info. I can't access via serial to the computer, is there any way to get a boot log or a dump file? The only thing I've seen behaving different from 1.01 to 1.02b is the network card booting. With 1.01 the computer boots, then the nic goes off (I can see it from the laptop atached to it, it says disconnected) and less than a minute later boots again and the connection to the webgui works. With 1.02b I haven't seen this process going on, it just boots on and stays like this. My guess is than the nic drivers are not loading like they used to do in 1.01. 

Thank you

That Dell Vostro 230 does have a serial port. Having a serial adapter like these ones would enable you to see the boot logs.

Anyways, did you try with a formatted drive?

Did you make sure to modify the MAC address on v1.02b before upgrading to match the one on v1.01?

Is the MAC address fixed in the router?

I did again the procedure this time on a baremetal starting at 6.0.2 and it worked fine. So I am not really sure what is going on with your setup specially when it is actually working on DSM 6.0.2 which mean the NIC is already recognized.

23 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

That Dell Vostro 230 does have a serial port. Having a serial adapter like these ones would enable you to see the boot logs.

Anyways, did you try with a formatted drive?

Did you make sure to modify the MAC address on v1.02b before upgrading to match the one on v1.01?

Is the MAC address fixed in the router?

I did again the procedure this time on a baremetal starting at 6.0.2 and it worked fine. So I am not really sure what is going on with your setup specially when it is actually working on DSM 6.0.2 which mean the NIC is already recognized.

yes, i've seen the adapters I might end getting one... With a formatted drive you mean using just 1.02b without doing first 1.01? 

I modified mac address through grub using the console (as far as I know capital letters make no difference in MAC addresses), and the computer is connected straight to a laptop, without any router. If I use the laptop as a DHCP server to give xpenology an IP could help?

I don't understand two things with ESXI, not sure if the good place...

But why when i use set sn and set mac before to boot, it's work the first boot but after the second, default value was restored (or old value).
Example i had mac1 = xx, i put yy, it's ok when i reboot, but if i reboot new time, it's xx...

On 6/20/2017 at 8:01 PM, ordimans said:

I don't understand two things with ESXI, not sure if the good place...

But why when i use set sn and set mac before to boot, it's work the first boot but after the second, default value was restored (or old value).
Example i had mac1 = xx, i put yy, it's ok when i reboot, but if i reboot new time, it's xx...

I am no expert in ESXI but that looks like there is a network setting in ESXI that is changing the MAC address each time you boot. Look into ESXI settings see if you can change the MAC address to the desired one.

14 hours ago, MarcHT91 said:

I tried with the formatted drive. No luck either

The Dell Vostro 230 is nornally using the Broadcom NetLink 57788 controller although you would need to confirm that. The module for that controller should be the broadcom tg3 and looking into the ramdisk of v1.02b it is there.

The best way to know what is happening is to see the boot logs through a serial cable and a console.

14 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

The Dell Vostro 230 is nornally using the Broadcom NetLink 57788 controller although you would need to confirm that. The module for that controller should be the broadcom tg3 and looking into the ramdisk of v1.02b it is there.

The best way to know what is happening is to see the boot logs through a serial cable and a console.

Thanks for checking this, but this was mixed with other post from MarcHT91 who is using this Dell Vostro 230. In my case it is the HP Gen7 N36L which you commented is not supported as it is AMD. Would you have any information if the support is at least planned to be added back in some future versions (as it was there in 1.01)? Or do I have only possibility to use ESXI to run it?

18 hours ago, Qwertyz said:

Thanks for checking this, but this was mixed with other post from MarcHT91 who is using this Dell Vostro 230. In my case it is the HP Gen7 N36L which you commented is not supported as it is AMD. Would you have any information if the support is at least planned to be added back in some future versions (as it was there in 1.01)? Or do I have only possibility to use ESXI to run it?

Yes it seems I got mixed up with the quotes. It's all fixed now. For AMD no idea. Jun is pretty mute on the matter. Running on a VM is probably the solution for now.

12 hours ago, Novarg said:

I'm on 5.2 right now. Can i upgrade to DSM 6.1.2-15132 with v1.02b loader by this tutorial and skip dsm 6.0.2 ?

In principal yes. Be aware though that since the release of Jun's loader v1.0 (then v1.01, v1.02a, v1.02a2 and v1.02b) there is a significantly lower amount of modules included in the loader compared to the previous generation Xpenoboot loaders (under DSM 5.x). In principal most common hardware should be detected but if you have any specialty hardware in your HP Gen 8 it might not be recognized. I recommend doing an upgrade test on a spare drive first to make sure the upgrade process is successful. Also note that it's highly possible you will not be able to convert some video files since the advent of 6.1.1 as Synology is checking the pairing of Serial Number and MAC address.