XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

Tests on beta11a (latest for this moment). Remind: LSI 9400, Proxmox, SATA and SAS hdd-s. 

1. Download image. Configure it as usual. Result - DSM boots but without LSI 9400 and without hdd-s.

2. Took the last working for me arpl.img. Updated everything by menu. Build loader. Try to boot... Result the same as previous.

3. Took the last working for me arpl.img. Updated: ARPL, addons, LKMs. Not updated modules. Build loader. Try to boot... Ok now, DSM boot completed.

So... What happens with virtual SAS controller module or 9p addon? Anyway now it looks better then previously - no exception during boot.

First of all, I would like to thank the moderator for providing such an excellent program, which is more convenient than previous guidance.
Some more advanced questions to ask:
1. The IP address displayed on the screen of the host is assigned by DHCP. When the IP address of the NAS is manually changed, the IP address displayed on the screen of the host is not the actual changed IP address.
2. Try to change /etc/network/interfaces, and change the IP from automatic to static IP, but the default value will be restored after rebooting.

May I ask if the IP address of the control screen can be changed to a static IP address?

21 minutes ago, DannyChen0623 said:

First of all, I would like to thank the moderator for providing such an excellent program, which is more convenient than previous guidance.
Some more advanced questions to ask:
1. The IP address displayed on the screen of the host is assigned by DHCP. When the IP address of the NAS is manually changed, the IP address displayed on the screen of the host is not the actual changed IP address.
2. Try to change /etc/network/interfaces, and change the IP from automatic to static IP, but the default value will be restored after rebooting.

May I ask if the IP address of the control screen can be changed to a static IP address?

DHCP can judge whether the network is normal, and it can indicate that this IP address may not be the actual working IP address.

Edited by DannyChen0623

So I found something that tanks performance, maybe it's to be expected, but my DS1621+ (R1600 2.2mhz max) was getting better openvpn performance over a 10700 (4.9ghz max) as a DVA3221 build. Performance was half of what it should have been.

I coundn't figure it out initially, but changing from dev to prod LKM and booting directly to DSM fixed it. Will this  create problems in the future when I need to install updates so that ARPL can do the special patching on reboot?

Hi,
I also had a problem with cpu clock frequency

ARPL v1.0-beta11a --> DS3266XS+ --> DSM 7.1.1-42962-Update3
Asus P8P67 B3 IvyBridge --> 3570k@3.40GHz --> RAM: 16gb 1600mhz --> HDD: 1-WD SSD 500GB NAS -->
2,3-2xSegate HDD 500GB --> 4-Segate 4TB IronWolf
BIOS build:
Bios: 3602 x64 11/01/2012 --> ECversion: MBECE-0018 --> MEversion: 8.0.2.140 --> SouthBridge: B3
Motherboard Settings:
Target CPU Turbo-Mode Speed: 3800Mhz --> Target DRAM Speed: 1600Mhz --> BCLK 100Mhz -->
AI Overlock Tuner: Manual --> Turbo Ratio: By All Core -->  Internal PPL Overvoltage: Auto -->
Memory Frequency: DDR3-1600Mhz --> EPU switch: Disabled --> Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology: Disabled -->
CPU Spread Spectrum: Auto --> Intel Adaptive Thermnal Monitor: Enabled --> Active Processor Cores: ALL -->
Limit CPUID Maximum: Disabled --> Execute Disable Bit: Enabled --> CPU C1E: Disabled --> CPU C3 Report: Auto -->
CPU C6 Report: Auto -->Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled -->HT: Not supported --> High Precision Timer: Enabled
Sata mode: AHCI
S.M.A.R.T.: Enabled --> All Intel Sata Port --> HotPlug: Enabled --> Marvell Storage Controller Port: Disabled -->
Bluethoot Controller: Disabled --> VIA 1394 Controller: Disabled --> Realtek Lan Controller: Enabled -->
Realtek PXE Oprom: Disabled

PowerConsumption in first boot 92.4W (in proxmox and 1-128gb ssd and 2- 500gb hdd) in idle consumtion 65W

At first, I did the transition from TCRP 0.9.4.1 because I had a problem with update 3. 
On ARPL it installed Update 3 very nicely, but I had a problem with CPU Clock Frequency and it was showing me 1.6Ghz and 6 cores. After applying ch_cpuinfo the CPU information was good, but the 1.6Ghz problem still remained. After many attempts failed (in geekbench5 I had a score similar to other i5-3570k) I disabled in Bios C1E, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology, RAM with XMP to Manual and hard, disabled bluethoot, 1394, Marvell and Realtek PXE Oprom. 

I created from scratch Loader --> LKM: dev and all modules include to config xD --> Build --> Boot and Working!
I test reboot DSM, shutdown and running directly boot and working very good!

Screenshot_20230113_203852_Tuya Smart.jpg

873_230113.png

874_230113.png

10 hours ago, horvathzeros said:

Im noob and just testing, i put last ARPL 1.0beta11a on a usb and when i try to buid i get this error. I checked /mnt/p2 and there is no zImage, tried to chmod but didnt worked

but the image seems to have downloaded fine

image.thumb.png.d737c3d4a219edf327ba7abff8b08bc7.png

Sorry for my bad english

If you have the opportunity then try to download ARPL with some files downloader. 

Previously I used rufus, but I changed to Win32DiskImager

On the USB stick, delete all partitions and create one new one and then burn the .img image to the stick.

Go through the motherboard settings in the bios in the USB topic.

In my spare time, maybe I can assemble a second PC unit and use it for just testing, a mam dostępną kartę hp nc550sfp+

@fbelavenuto

1831721560_2023-01-148_48_56.thumb.png.97f095eea93f8cdbdd8998ad2afdd06b.png

I did a intensive test of the AMD Ryzen MOBO today on TCRP and ARPL.
As a result, dtbpatch does not work on AMD Ryzen MOBO and v1000 (DS1621+, etc.)
Patches in the model.dtb file are obviously handled well,
Synology doesn't seem to notice.

The MOBOs used in the test are the following three.
ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING (M-ATX)
ASUS PRIME A320I-K (M-ITX)
ASROCK A520M-ITX/ac (M-ITX)

Among them, ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING, an M-ATX MOBO, recognized DT disks well.
But the two M-ITX MOBOs don't find the disk.

In the case of DS923+, which is the same AMD Ryzen series r1000 platform recently added, everything works without problems.

So, I am attaching the monitor log including the junior log from these two models.
The same symptom occurs in ARPL beta11.

The results of TCRP and ARPL will of course be the same since they are the results using the same dtbpatch utility.

However, in the case of dtbpatch used in ARPL, there is one more error that the second nvme cache cannot be found.

If you need more information, please let me know. I will support you.

ds1621+sata1_arpl.txt

ds1621+sata1_tcrp.txt

ds923+sata1_tcrp.txt

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

Hi all i have been running a HP N40L for a couple of years with Juns loader its running DSM 6.2.3-25426 update 3 on DS3615xs and 6 hard drives

my question 

with this new loader would i be able to update the DSM to the latest version with out loosing any data that is on the drives 

i can get around a computer ok but am not on the same level as a lot of people on this forum  

i can Confirm that ARPL v1.0-beta11a is now working pefect with the gen8 also the CPU Frequencies are fixed and  the CPU Governor is not needed anymore.

Please not for the Gen8 Microserver that the Performance Modus has set to OS Control Mode that CPU Freq is working correct.

Here are the guide for the Bios setting for the Gen8 OS Controll Mode

There is Small issue in the Info Page for the CPU Takt 

CPU Takt.png

Edited by nemesis122

Goood morning.

I have attempted to install this over the last day or so and between ARPL and TCRP ive had no success installing on a poweredge R720XD.

Both have different faults. The issue specifically with ARPL is that once booted into DSM it finds no disks to install but i  have 14 SSD's connected to an LSI9207-8i.

What do i need to add during the install in order to get the disks to read??

i have checked and mptsas and mpt3sas is ticked in the modules during the ARPL configuration process.

thanks in advance.

58 minutes ago, Andy Miller said:

Goood morning.

I have attempted to install this over the last day or so and between ARPL and TCRP ive had no success installing on a poweredge R720XD.

Both have different faults. The issue specifically with ARPL is that once booted into DSM it finds no disks to install but i  have 14 SSD's connected to an LSI9207-8i.

What do i need to add during the install in order to get the disks to read??

i have checked and mptsas and mpt3sas is ticked in the modules during the ARPL configuration process.

thanks in advance.

Which model did you choose?

Device-Tree based v1000(DS1621+), geminilake(DS920+), r1000(DS923+) cannot use HBA.

Edited by Peter Suh

On 1/11/2023 at 1:17 AM, fbelavenuto said:

Thanks for all the cpufreq diagnostics! I fixed the misc addon, now I mount the /sys partition, load the acpi-freq module (with modprobe, the processor.ko module is loaded too) and test the directory, then unmount /sys. 

Just tested it on my main system, on Skylake and VM and now the module is loaded on my main system and not loaded on the other two as aspected. Thanks for the fix 👍

One small issue remains though. The ARPL loader/configurator still has the governor set to userspace with the lowest speed. This is only on the pre-Skylake system, Skylake and up use the intel_pstate driver with different settings, VM doesn't use this at all.

1462577062_Schermafbeelding2023-01-15om16_07_57.thumb.png.8ea925b37f8f743f1419058ecb8ae599.png

The issue with this is that the configurator, the installation itself and the boot is unnecessarily slow, until the acpi-freq module is loaded in DSM. Setting it to 1 of the other 3 available governors will help, if possible. Another possibility is to set the scaling_setspeed inputs to the output of scalling_max_freq.

This also has the result of showing this lowest frequency in the Info Center, looks like system is checking the speed before the module is loaded. This is just cosmetic but it is an indication it is still off at boot. I have also set a custom frequency in the configurator and booted from the menu with that frequency being displayed in Info Center and having a faster boot-time.

3 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

There is Small issue in the Info Page for the CPU Takt 

CPU Takt.png

4 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

i can Confirm that ARPL v1.0-beta11a is now working pefect with the gen8 also the CPU Frequencies are fixed and  the CPU Governor is not needed anymore.

The governor is now loaded by the system again as intended, as it is on real Synology hardware. No need to load it yourself any longer, ie. the fix I've provided.

Run the command below and you'll see it still loads the performance governor by default for all your cores.

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

On 1/13/2023 at 8:51 PM, buczi said:

Hi,
I also had a problem with cpu clock frequency

ARPL v1.0-beta11a --> DS3266XS+ --> DSM 7.1.1-42962-Update3
Asus P8P67 B3 IvyBridge --> 3570k@3.40GHz --> RAM: 16gb 1600mhz --> HDD: 1-WD SSD 500GB NAS -->
2,3-2xSegate HDD 500GB --> 4-Segate 4TB IronWolf
BIOS build:
Bios: 3602 x64 11/01/2012 --> ECversion: MBECE-0018 --> MEversion: 8.0.2.140 --> SouthBridge: B3
Motherboard Settings:
Target CPU Turbo-Mode Speed: 3800Mhz --> Target DRAM Speed: 1600Mhz --> BCLK 100Mhz -->
AI Overlock Tuner: Manual --> Turbo Ratio: By All Core -->  Internal PPL Overvoltage: Auto -->
Memory Frequency: DDR3-1600Mhz --> EPU switch: Disabled --> Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology: Disabled -->
CPU Spread Spectrum: Auto --> Intel Adaptive Thermnal Monitor: Enabled --> Active Processor Cores: ALL -->
Limit CPUID Maximum: Disabled --> Execute Disable Bit: Enabled --> CPU C1E: Disabled --> CPU C3 Report: Auto -->
CPU C6 Report: Auto -->Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled -->HT: Not supported --> High Precision Timer: Enabled
Sata mode: AHCI
S.M.A.R.T.: Enabled --> All Intel Sata Port --> HotPlug: Enabled --> Marvell Storage Controller Port: Disabled -->
Bluethoot Controller: Disabled --> VIA 1394 Controller: Disabled --> Realtek Lan Controller: Enabled -->
Realtek PXE Oprom: Disabled

PowerConsumption in first boot 92.4W (in proxmox and 1-128gb ssd and 2- 500gb hdd) in idle consumtion 65W

At first, I did the transition from TCRP 0.9.4.1 because I had a problem with update 3. 
On ARPL it installed Update 3 very nicely, but I had a problem with CPU Clock Frequency and it was showing me 1.6Ghz and 6 cores. After applying ch_cpuinfo the CPU information was good, but the 1.6Ghz problem still remained. After many attempts failed (in geekbench5 I had a score similar to other i5-3570k) I disabled in Bios C1E, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology, RAM with XMP to Manual and hard, disabled bluethoot, 1394, Marvell and Realtek PXE Oprom. 

I created from scratch Loader --> LKM: dev and all modules include to config xD --> Build --> Boot and Working!
I test reboot DSM, shutdown and running directly boot and working very good!

Screenshot_20230113_203852_Tuya Smart.jpg

873_230113.png

874_230113.png

When running DSM inside a VM the CPU management is handled by the Host (Proxmox). Since you've disabled Speedstep you might not get you're boost speeds and the rest of its benefits.

The processor info is baked into the system and is the CPU info from the model you've chosen.

On 1/12/2023 at 3:56 PM, wifi75 said:

hello for cpu scaling Governor, what it the best choice as below?

image.png.2e461bf8403ab92f48c70a895f296fc4.png

I don't know what tool you're using here, but it shows options that aren't available in DSM, before you break your system don't use this tool in DSM.

The governor issues are fixed since the updates from this year, mainly the misc add-on. When updating from within ARPL make sure to also update the add-ons.

On 1/10/2023 at 8:02 PM, Loredan said:

Just in case, I will briefly describe the problem.
ARPL and TCRP Friend: Virtual machines through VMM are very slow (long installation, long startup, very slow overall). CPU load 1-2%
TCRP: No problem, virtual machines are working fine. CPU load 10-12%
Described in more detail here:
https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl/issues/260

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/issues/208

Test results (DVA3221):

TCRP (0.9.3 classic mode):
a) 

2\4(cpu\memory): https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19811712 
6\8(cpu\memory): https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19813994

b)

Loredan@NAS:~$ sudo su
Password:
ash-4.4# grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | grep -m1 hwp
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb invpcid_single intel_pt ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp ibrs_enhanced tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx avx512f rdseed adx smap clflushopt avx512cd sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp hwp_pkg_req pku md_clear flush_l1d arch_capabilities
ash-4.4#

ARPL (v1.0-beta10)

a)

Before "modprobe acpi-cpufreq && echo "performance" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor"
2\4(cpu\memory): https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19813055

6\8(cpu\memory): https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19813550

After "modprobe acpi-cpufreq && echo "performance" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor"
2\4(cpu\memory): https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19813250

6\8(cpu\memory): https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19813746

b)

Loredan@NAS_test:/$ sudo su
Password:
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch epb invpcid_single intel_pt ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp ibrs_enhanced tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx avx512f rdseed adx smap clflushopt avx512cd sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp hwp_pkg_req pku md_clear flush_l1d arch_capabilities
ash-4.4# modprobe acpi-cpufreq && echo "performance" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance
ash-4.4# grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/affected_cpus:0
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/bios_limit:2601000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq:2601000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq:2601000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq:800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_transition_latency:10000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/freqdomain_cpus:0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/related_cpus:0
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:2601000 2600000 2500000 2300000 2200000 2100000 2000000 1800000 1700000 1600000 1400000 1300000 1200000 1100000 900000 800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors:powersave performance userspace
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq:28171840
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver:acpi-cpufreq
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor:performance
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:2601000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq:800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed:<unsupported>
grep: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats: Is a directory
ash-4.4#

TCRP Friend (0.9.3):
a)

After "modprobe acpi-cpufreq && echo "performance" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor"

2\4(cpu\memory): https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19812586

b)

Loredan@NAS_test:/$ sudo su
Password:
ash-4.4# modprobe acpi-cpufreq && echo "performance" | tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance
ash-4.4# grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/affected_cpus:0
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/bios_limit:2601000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq:2601000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq:2601000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq:800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_transition_latency:10000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/freqdomain_cpus:0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/related_cpus:0
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies:2601000 2600000 2500000 2300000 2200000 2100000 2000000 1800000 1700000 1600000 1400000 1300000 1200000 1100000 900000 800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors:powersave performance userspace
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq:28018838
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver:acpi-cpufreq
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor:performance
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq:2601000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq:800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed:<unsupported>
grep: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats: Is a directory
ash-4.4#

The difference is not big, but upon use it is significant and visible without any measurements. The explorer window opens for 30-60 seconds.
The problem is probably something else, I'm confused by reading from the HDD, look in the issues, I've attached screenshots.

p.s. Sorry in advance, I can not actively and quickly conduct tests to test, this is a working machine, and I am not a very experienced user.

The easy suggestion is, stick with what works. ARPL and TCRP have some road ahead before they're as stable and usable as DSM 6 and Jun's loader was.

Another solution I can give you, try out a Hypervisor like Proxmox or similar and run your Windows and DSM in separate VMs.

Edited by idaanx