XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader Build Support Tool ( M-Shell )

Peter Suh

2 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Applied the acpid power button addon.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-load/commit/2b2fd946e22bccdc5a7bd2514405021220cba7b9

Please rebuild the loader.

On bare metal, I confirmed that synopoweroff was handled well without any errors by briefly pressing the power button.

(The power was turned off twice.)

933241471_2023-04-294_30_52.thumb.png.bd3f954205faf4becf6badea16da0952.png

How should I test in Proxmox?

Please test.

From proxmox, just request "shutdown" from Proxmox GUI.

It should trigger ACPID power off.

You can monitor it through console serial window.

image.thumb.png.9c42df37757ffff4f5d9bebf6d4a4a86.png

Edited by Orphée
  • Thanks 2

On 4/27/2023 at 6:33 PM, asumi233 said:

I recently noticed that Jot's postupdate doesn't work properly on 7.1.1-42962 U5.
So I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

I have now finished distributing the more advanced Postupdate function.
Please check the changes in the link below.
Now you don't need to enter the menu of TC Linux.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrpfriend/releases/tag/v0.0.6f

The loader must be rebuilt to add the new Grub Boot entries.

A small update version will start again from U1.
But don't worry. If you only proceed with recovery and postupdate, it will come to normal.

Edited by Peter Suh

[NOTICE]

Official distribution of DSM 7.2-64551 RC version to M SHELL for TCRP has been completed.

During the DSM 7.2 RC installation process, the automatic installation of the latest version of DSM still has problems, so a file corruption message appears.

If you download and install DSM manually, there is no problem.

Thanks @wjz304

376947670_2023-05-0211_50_09.thumb.png.86400b8215955e2f6ea9d2d1c1b476ee.png

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Orphée said:

@Peter Suh FYI with arpl-i18n from @wjz304 there is no issue with downloading PAT directly from internet.

There is probably something wrong on your side, or something done differently with his ARPL build.

Yes, let's check the rss.json and rss.xml settings used by ARPL again.
The MD5 checksum was recorded correctly, but it seems that other additional settings are required.
thank you

• Like 1

Hi,

From Synology specs :

image.thumb.png.96c902272627e80dbcb7970cc83dde66.png

JBOD should be supported, but I only have "Basic" option to chose :

image.thumb.png.2190e7d27d78af563b62fa9978df7805.png

Whereas on SA6400 ARPL image from @jimmmmm I was able to create a JBOD RAID type.

Looking at raid lines in /etc/synoinfo.conf

There is a difference between the 2 loaders :

On TRCP with friends :

supportraidgroup="yes"

On Jimmmmm's ARPL build :

supportraidgroup="no"
support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"

So I manually added the 2 lines in TRCP configuration file in synoinfo part.

And voila :

image.thumb.png.e6981f3da4d69f2f26c939324b789f36.png

@pocopico @Peter Suh Maybe you should consider forcing these values.

I know JBOD is totally unsecure regarding data if a disk crash, but when you run it under proxmox and you want to extend your disk size, JBOD is quite useful !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

When installing DSM 7.2 RC, the automatic installation of the latest version has also been patched.

From this point on, those who build the loader can install it automatically.

Thanks, this is working in VMware Fusion on my mac.

Wil try it on my Thecus N4200 Eco this weekend.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, adamob said:

no news?

7.2 I forgot to use energy for RC development.^^
I'll add timeout handling to boot.sh to retry mounting the partition.
It looks like it will be v0.0.6h .
I'm afraid I can't trigger this.
And, the question is whether this treatment will work.

Hi! I've a couple of question:

FIRST: 
I tried to install XPEnology DS3622xs+ on a test hardware (I7-3770) using the Tiny Core RedPill M-Shell v0.9.4.3-2; it perfectly works and installed by default DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5.
Now I tried to change the loader of my XPE DS918+(see my signature), using Tiny Core RedPill M-Shell v0.9.4.3-2, too. In this case the system installed DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2. Why? Did the System check something of my hardware that is not compatible with Update 5? Can I try to manually upgrade my system to Update 5, or do I risk to break the System?

SECOND:
If I try to use the UEFI version of Tiny Core RedPill M-Shell, Synology Assistant can't find my server; I have to use the NON UEFI version of Tiny Core RedPill M-Shell to make my XPE server working. What are the differences to use the UEFi version compared to the NON EUFI one?

I attached the screenshot when I try to start my server with UEFI version: 

Thank you very much for your support!

UEFI.jpg

18 minutes ago, maxime said:

Hi! I've a couple of question:

FIRST: 
I tried to install XPEnology DS3622xs+ on a test hardware (I7-3770) using the Tiny Core RedPill M-Shell v0.9.4.3-2; it perfectly works and installed by default DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5.
Now I tried to change the loader of my XPE DS918+(see my signature), using Tiny Core RedPill M-Shell v0.9.4.3-2, too. In this case the system installed DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2. Why? Did the System check something of my hardware that is not compatible with Update 5? Can I try to manually upgrade my system to Update 5, or do I risk to break the System?

SECOND:
If I try to use the UEFI version of Tiny Core RedPill M-Shell, Synology Assistant can't find my server; I have to use the NON UEFI version of Tiny Core RedPill M-Shell to make my XPE server working. What are the differences to use the UEFi version compared to the NON EUFI one?

I attached the screenshot when I try to start my server with UEFI version: 

Thank you very much for your support!

UEFI.jpg

first:
-> TCRP ( same for ARPL ) Always use full size DSM PAT files when building loaders.
For DS3622+ or DS918+, 7.1.1-42962 U1 (with update 1)
Corresponds to the final version with full size.

In particular, in the case of DS923+ / DS723+ / RS4021xs+, 7.1.1-42962 U5 exists in full size.

If you go to the path below, PAT files that exceed approximately 300M are such files.
https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM

After that, you need to additionally install the required SMALL Update version.
After the Small Update version is installed, FRIEND proceeds with RD automatic patching.

second:
-> You don't have to use the UEFI version of IMG to boot into UEFI.
Legacy versions are also compatible with UEFI.
If you have problems with the legacy version of IMG, I know that the workaround is to use the UEFI version of IMG.
This part borrows the image produced by pocopico as it is in M SHELL, so I don't know exactly how it works.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

first:
-> TCRP ( same for ARPL ) Always use full size DSM PAT files when building loaders.

In particular, in the case of DS923+ / DS723+ / RS4021xs+, 7.1.1-42962 U5 exists in full size.

If you go to the path below, PAT files that exceed approximately 300M are such files.

After the Small Update version is installed, FRIEND proceeds with RD automatic patching.

second:
If you have problems with the legacy version of IMG, I know that the workaround is to use the UEFI version of IMG.
This part borrows the image produced by pocopico as it is in M SHELL, so I don't know exactly how it works.

FIRST: OK, then is possible that on test hardware, after the installation (7.1.1-42962 U1), the system automatically updated to Update 5 without me realizing it... 
when you say "you need to additionally install the required SMALL Update version", you mean to install PAT files using manual installation from Synology Web Interface, right?

SECOND: It seems clear. thanks!

42 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

first:

second:

And is there any benefit to using DS923+ instead of DS918+? Should I change the version to DS923+? I'm watching your signature and I see you used two different kind of loader in your servers: one use Jot and another one use Jun. Why you choose that? Isn't June a newer (and than better) kind of loader?

On 5/7/2023 at 1:02 AM, maxime said:

FIRST: OK, then is possible that on test hardware, after the installation (7.1.1-42962 U1), the system automatically updated to Update 5 without me realizing it... 
when you say "you need to additionally install the required SMALL Update version", you mean to install PAT files using manual installation from Synology Web Interface, right?

SECOND: It seems clear. thanks!

SMALL FIX UPDATE is not handled automatically.
The Jun loader used until DSM 6.2.3 had an auto-update function,
A setting in Redpill is preventing automatic updates.
All Redpill updates require a manual update process through the DSM Control Panel.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

for Xpenology I didn't see any advantages for 923+ over 918+

One of the advantages of DS923+ is flexible disk and M.2 SSD mapping based on Device-Tree if only HBA is not used.
From DSM 7.2, M.2 SSD, which is supported by DS923+ models, can be used for storage as well as cache.

• Thanks 1

Hello from Austria,

the m-shell is great, especially for people like me with no linux-knowledge. Have two identical boards (j4125-itx) and two identical usb-sticks.

Installed 918+/DSM 7.1.1.-42962 U1 on 23.4., worked perfect, and update U1 directly to U5 was also perfect.

Now tried DVA1622, error "out of space". Tried 918+, error "out of space". Took bigger USB-Stick, same error.

Tried different PC (i3-4170), same error with DVA1622 and 918+.

Although Version of m-Shell and date is the same, it is updating (i.e. DSM 7.2) so the conclusion would be, something is changed, as it works no more?

As the first 918+ is running well, it is not urgent, but would be nice to test the DVA. 

Sorry, no idea how to input a picture in this post.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

[NOTICE]

A problematic case has been identified with some nics that require firmware as mandatory.

bnx2x 10G nic requires firmware only on Apollo Lake/Gemini Lake platforms.

In other platforms, the module operates normally without firmware.

In the Junior stage, these files were normally copied to /lib/firmware,

DSM is missing at the installation completion stage.

Improved the phenomenon of missing firmware files by adding a process to process /tmpRoot/lib/firmware in the DSM booting stage.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-modules/commit/d3f6300c4b36528fb4aaf8665d98a76765f552a3

Not all devices and all platforms necessarily require firmware.

If the device module behaves abnormally, it is recommended to rebuild and use the M SHELL for TCRP loader.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/arpl-modules/tree/main/firmware

652178722_2023-05-1010_10_54.thumb.png.07c6ec78c169d90ebf38fe79d9d28d06.png

11 hours ago, cbook2334 said:

Hello from Austria,

the m-shell is great, especially for people like me with no linux-knowledge. Have two identical boards (j4125-itx) and two identical usb-sticks.

Installed 918+/DSM 7.1.1.-42962 U1 on 23.4., worked perfect, and update U1 directly to U5 was also perfect.

Now tried DVA1622, error "out of space". Tried 918+, error "out of space". Took bigger USB-Stick, same error.

Tried different PC (i3-4170), same error with DVA1622 and 918+.

Although Version of m-Shell and date is the same, it is updating (i.e. DSM 7.2) so the conclusion would be, something is changed, as it works no more?

As the first 918+ is running well, it is not urgent, but would be nice to test the DVA. 

Sorry, no idea how to input a picture in this post.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is not enough specific information on which partition (P1/P2/P3) is running out of space in any particular case.

The size of the USB memory may be sufficient, but in the case of M SHELL bare metal, do not allocate more than 1GB to the sum of the P1+P2+P3 partitions.

In the case of the P3 partition, about 2 DSM files of about 350M are barely installed.
In some cases, both can be difficult.

Instructions for attaching files are at the bottom of the post window.
You will see "Drag files here to attach, or choose files...".
All you have to do is drag and drop your captured image file here.