XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader Build Support Tool ( M-Shell )

Peter Suh

4 hours ago, JackieWu said:

Hi @Peter Suh, it seems like the block line 283 of my.sh https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/my.sh#L283 have changed, what can i do to preserve the loader.img nowdays? Thanks!

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/rploader.sh#L2988

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/my.sh#L294

You only need to edit this part.

Edited by Peter Suh

Hi! If I would like to upgrade my DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 (friend with M-Shell) to DSM 7.2.0-64561, I have to rebuild the loader and make a "migration" from the old DSM (importing data and configuration), or is there a easier way to do it? Thanks for support!

3 hours ago, maxime said:

Hi! If I would like to upgrade my DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 (friend with M-Shell) to DSM 7.2.0-64561, I have to rebuild the loader and make a "migration" from the old DSM (importing data and configuration), or is there a easier way to do it? Thanks for support!

The way you know is the only way.
Please do so.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:55 PM, Peter Suh said:

to fix the satadom
It seems necessary to record the values in SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap.

In HBA, to start from disk Index 1, If the value of "SasIdxMap":"0" is meaningful, it was confirmed in bare metal.
VM seems to have another variable.

The reason for forcibly blanking the two values of SataPortMap / DiskIdxMap in the case of a VM in M SHELL was a deliberate action taken by light users who do not use a lot of disks to increase the success rate of loader installation within the range of 6 disks or less.

I recently found out that I need to adjust the SataPortMap / DiskIdxMap values to fix the satadom to Index 1 while using a lot of disk in the VM.

It seems that M SHELL needs to think about how to adjust SataPortMap / DiskIdxMap to satisfy light users and heavy users at the same time.

Did you end up figuring out a way to have a balance of keeping a setting of SataPortMap / DiskIdxMap for heavy/vm passthrough hba?

On 5/30/2023 at 12:52 PM, maxime said:

i did it in opposite way. First i upgraded DSM via GUI. After reboot Friend tried to upgrade loader for newer DSM but after that i lost connection with my NAS so i rebuild loaded for DSM7.2 using M-Shell Menu :) Result: all works fine and no migration needed.

Edited by shibby
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shibby said:

i did it in opposite way. First i upgraded DSM via GUI. After reboot Friend tried to upgrade loader for newer DSM but after that i lost connection with my NAS so i rebuild loaded for DSM7.2 using M-Shell Menu :) Result: all works fine and no migration needed.

Both methods have no problem achieving the final goal of migration.
However, the latter method can be a bit cumbersome.
You may encounter either a recovery message or a patch message from FRIEND along the way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi 

What im doing wrong?

installed DSM 7.1 but the cou frequencies is only running at 1600mhz i think this was fixed a long time ago

thank you

04-06-2023 12-57-16.png

Did you recently install M SHELL?

then, Check the running status of the service with the command below.

systemctl status cpufreq-userspace-scaler.service

6 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Did you recently install M SHELL?

then, Check the running status of the service with the command below.

systemctl status cpufreq-userspace-scaler.service

I was mistaken.
From the 4th generation to the older generations, the CPU frequency is fixed by misc at maximum performance.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/blob/main/misc/releases/install-all.sh

cpufreq-userspace-scaler will probably work on 6th generation and later CPUs.

11 minutes ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi Peter 

thank you

then i have to install without this addon in the user  config ?

This ADDON has no effect even if it is installed because the functions are separated by CPU generation.
It's not easy to delete on purpose.

7 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi 

What im doing wrong?

installed DSM 7.1 but the cou frequencies is only running at 1600mhz i think this was fixed a long time ago

thank you

04-06-2023 12-57-16.png

Might not have anything to do in your situation, and of course @Peter Suh is more of the resident Guru, and his feedback.  In general, I can't think of a reason someone would really want their CPU to be running at less than full throttle in general, though I'm sure there are some compelling logics out there.  I have an 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8700 (Coffee Lake), and when I first built my system, I noticed the Info Center status was showing my CPU Clock @ 800Mhz.  I am sure it's been stated here, somewhere in the voluminous posting, but like finding the needed in the hay stack.   I discovered that if I disable Intel Speed Step in the BIOS, my CPU Clock is 3.2Ghz, so a big difference.

In fact, the reason for planning the development of cpufreq-userspace-scaler started with the expectation of energy saving effect when lowering the clock in IDLE state.

However, in the test using the power meter, the effect was not as great as expected.

Intel advertises the Intel Speed Step as if it provides great energy savings, but in reality it seems to be insignificant.

14 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

In fact, the reason for planning the development of cpufreq-userspace-scaler started with the expectation of energy saving effect when lowering the clock in IDLE state.

However, in the test using the power meter, the effect was not as great as expected.

Intel advertises the Intel Speed Step as if it provides great energy savings, but in reality it seems to be insignificant.

Indeed!  Internal Dell PG (Product Group) and ultimately Dell I/T documentation, while I was working there, was to always turn it off on all Production hardware.  In the Dell BIOS, it's always enabled under the "Performance" category along with the Hyper-threading, Turbo Boost, etc.  Somewhere in the early 2000's if I remember right, Intel also brought out "Speed Shift Technology" in the same category.  Most internal PG testing, validated that these were more of an impediment than data center cost savior. Interestingly though, all internal workstations, we just left at the Dell Default, which had those always enabled.  In some of my testing, I often used https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu as part of my toolkit for testing and tweaking, but sadly, this is only for Windows. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 1:39 AM, Peter Suh said:

Hello, I am not sure if someone has already reported to you. Synology changed version of PAT file for 7.2 at least for 3622. Now it is 7.2-64570. So M-Shell will not work. Sorry if I posted the report in a wrong topic

15 minutes ago, Al lex said:

Hello, I am not sure if someone has already reported to you. Synology changed version of PAT file for 7.2 at least for 3622. Now it is 7.2-64570. So M-Shell will not work. Sorry if I posted the report in a wrong topic

Currently working on 7.2-64570. Please wait a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Currently working on 7.2-64570. Please wait a bit.

I didn't need to rebuild the loader, just was enough update DSM from control panel!

EDIT: I don't know why, but after update to DSM 7.2-64570, CPU in recognized as INTEL Celeron J3455 instead of the real CPU 

Edited by maxime

1 hour ago, maxime said:

I didn't need to rebuild the loader, just was enough update DSM from control panel!

EDIT: I don't know why, but after update to DSM 7.2-64570, CPU in recognized as INTEL Celeron J3455 instead of the real CPU 

Currently, I am on vacation, so the test is difficult, but I have finished distributing the new version. There have been reports of missing discs on some DT-based models.

24 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Currently, I am on vacation, so the test is difficult, but I have finished distributing the new version. There have been reports of missing discs on some DT-based models.

BTW, I have noticed that sata map stopped filing. I get two empty quotations instead. Even on your screen on github it is the same. Is it OK? I Still had no chance to check if it works in this way because of 64570

51 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

No problem! Enjoy your vacation! Thanks 👍🏻