XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

Hi Peter  ,thanks for the update , looks like I was not enough patient , post reboot post DSM installation , ping came back after maybe 10 min (not sure exactly but was quite long) , after that , status has been stuck "demarrage des services" = "start of services" for another 10 min I would say

Right now , I can see Launching built-in packages , so maybe all this is expected , my first install with your loader was an upgrade , this times it's a fresh installation so maybe that explain why it's so long post reboot post DSM installation.

Else , yes , I have decided to reduce my RAID5 from 5 disks (4 from the bays + 1 from top) to 4 disks (all from the bays)

Once stabilized , I'll attempt again to plug that external SSD via USB to see if same issue happens again or not ..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

The situation on page 34 was 7.2-64561 JOT.
7.2-64570 was updated again between last weekend.
I was misunderstanding.
I will check again if 7.2-64570 can work as JOT and tell you.

The build of the JOT loader for migration back to 7.2-64570 is fine as you can see.
However, the update must proceed to the next version while the DSM status of 7.2-64561 is stable.

2023-06-124_27_17.thumb.png.7a78b492ea1152fd5e344002c7be9570.png

2023-06-124_27_48.thumb.png.dae2b866a7fd08a9a03f80897c957b85.png

14 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Download this shell and try it out.
UBR rules were applied.

curl -kLO https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/sngen.sh
chmod +x sngen.sh
./sngen.sh DVA1622

Hi Peter Suh, I don't understand where to download and install this patch THANKS

Salut Peter Suh,
j'ai pas compris ou il faut telecharger et installer ce patch

merci

13 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

The build of the JOT loader for migration back to 7.2-64570 is fine as you can see.
However, the update must proceed to the next version while the DSM status of 7.2-64561 is stable.

2023-06-124_27_17.thumb.png.7a78b492ea1152fd5e344002c7be9570.png

2023-06-124_27_48.thumb.png.dae2b866a7fd08a9a03f80897c957b85.png

ok , recap , when I was in 7.2.64561 (setup is RAID5 with 5 disks : 4 internal HDD from the bays + 5th located at the top plugged to either internal Sata or external) all was working fine.

To do some copies , I've plugged two other external HDD 2.5 via USB , no problem whatsover , the nightmare began after have plugged a third external drive , via USB port on front , SSD using this , from there I received error message , one of the HDD has been disconnected and on next reboot no more DSM ! the loader was dead

I have been able to reinstall a 7.2.64561 and I have been able to reproduce the problem ! this time I have not plugged the two HDD then the SSD but only the SSD and boom loader crashed !

Afterwards I have not been able to reinstall as , in the meantime , you have updated your loader to 7.2.64570 :) but it took me few hours to realize :)

I am now running 7.2.64570 and all is fine , I have not tried to plug that SSD drive ..

Conclusion : all is good for 7.2.64570 BUT loader crashed by two times on two attempts when I was on 7.2.64561 on plugging that SSD external drive ... sorry for that but this is what I have experienced.

Else , I am backuping my data to delete the RAID5 and recreate it but using 4 disks , somehow the management are the two others is different and not all loaders can handle them.

Keep up the good work ! 

Just curious , any idea why the loader crash after plug that drive ? Picopico has asked me for a settings but I don't know how interpret the result , I think I've read that correspond to a total of 20 disks ..

I'll be happy to help if I can to troubleshoot this , I know now that even if we crash the loader then it's possible to reinstall without loosing any data  , once I'll start with a fresh DSM once my RAID will be rebuild then i'll plug that external SSD .... note: this external SSD works like a charm on my windows laptop

5 hours ago, clyver said:

Hi Peter Suh, I don't understand where to download and install this patch THANKS

Salut Peter Suh,
j'ai pas compris ou il faut telecharger et installer ce patch

merci

You can use this command in any Linux environment.
Terminal on macOS is also compatible.
If nothing is ready, use the console for building the TCRP Linux loader.

(base) yousuk@iMac ~ % curl -kLO https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/sngen.sh
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
100 10374  100 10374    0     0  17388      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 17388
(base) yousuk@iMac ~ % chmod +x sngen.sh
(base) yousuk@iMac ~ % ./sngen.sh DVA1622
2030UBRLGTPMB
(base) yousuk@iMac ~ % 

Edited by Peter Suh

3 hours ago, extenue said:

ok , recap , when I was in 7.2.64561 (setup is RAID5 with 5 disks : 4 internal HDD from the bays + 5th located at the top plugged to either internal Sata or external) all was working fine.

To do some copies , I've plugged two other external HDD 2.5 via USB , no problem whatsover , the nightmare began after have plugged a third external drive , via USB port on front , SSD using this , from there I received error message , one of the HDD has been disconnected and on next reboot no more DSM ! the loader was dead

I have been able to reinstall a 7.2.64561 and I have been able to reproduce the problem ! this time I have not plugged the two HDD then the SSD but only the SSD and boom loader crashed !

Afterwards I have not been able to reinstall as , in the meantime , you have updated your loader to 7.2.64570 :) but it took me few hours to realize :)

I am now running 7.2.64570 and all is fine , I have not tried to plug that SSD drive ..

Conclusion : all is good for 7.2.64570 BUT loader crashed by two times on two attempts when I was on 7.2.64561 on plugging that SSD external drive ... sorry for that but this is what I have experienced.

Else , I am backuping my data to delete the RAID5 and recreate it but using 4 disks , somehow the management are the two others is different and not all loaders can handle them.

Keep up the good work ! 

Just curious , any idea why the loader crash after plug that drive ? Picopico has asked me for a settings but I don't know how interpret the result , I think I've read that correspond to a total of 20 disks ..

I'll be happy to help if I can to troubleshoot this , I know now that even if we crash the loader then it's possible to reinstall without loosing any data  , once I'll start with a fresh DSM once my RAID will be rebuild then i'll plug that external SSD .... note: this external SSD works like a charm on my windows laptop

As I already explained yesterday, USB type external disk (SDD or HDD) etc.
Although it requires additional power, it is difficult to supply stable power and there are many unfavorable factors, so I do not want to use it.

And, another problem in XPENOLOGY REDPILL is
If a USB stick and an external disk of this USB type exist together at boot time, it can confuse the bootloader of the USB stick.
As if there are more than 2 USB sticks, the loader can confuse them and lead to the crashes you are experiencing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everybody and many thanks for your efforts.

I found this topic and I was wondering if I can upgrade directly from DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 to the latest version 7.2 that is available. 

Also I noticed that the discussions are regarding 7.2.64570, but from what I can see in the Synology website, there are only two different versions available

- 7.2-64570-1-NanoPacked (7.2-64570 (with Update 1))

- 7.2-64570-1

Will a direct upgrade to those versions work, or an intermediate upgrade is needed?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, giann84 said:

Hello Everybody and many thanks for your efforts.

I found this topic and I was wondering if I can upgrade directly from DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 to the latest version 7.2 that is available. 

Also I noticed that the discussions are regarding 7.2.64570, but from what I can see in the Synology website, there are only two different versions available

- 7.2-64570-1-NanoPacked (7.2-64570 (with Update 1))

- 7.2-64570-1

Will a direct upgrade to those versions work, or an intermediate upgrade is needed?

Thanks in advance.

If you are new to DSM 7 and REDPILL,
We recommend that you practice migrating from 6.2.3 to 7.2 with a separate USB stick and an extra disk.

Of course, real data must be backed up first.
No matter which version you choose.
Proceed as you wish.

• Like 1

Everything went fine! now running the latest 7.2 version coming from 6.2.3. 

HP server was found migratable, and worked perfectly :)

Many thanks for your efforts Peter!

The only issue that I encountered was that I build it without using the config_user.json that I have created and it used a random serial, which is fine, but it didn't use the fake MAC that I had defined, but the real MAC which is also fine. It just made it harder for me to find the server after the restart, but got to it in the end :)

Is there a specific procedure documented somewhere when it comes to the upgrades?

5 minutes ago, giann84 said:

Everything went fine! now running the latest 7.2 version coming from 6.2.3. 

HP server was found migratable, and worked perfectly :)

Many thanks for your efforts Peter!

The only issue that I encountered was that I build it without using the config_user.json that I have created and it used a random serial, which is fine, but it didn't use the fake MAC that I had defined, but the real MAC which is also fine. It just made it harder for me to find the server after the restart, but got to it in the end :)

Is there a specific procedure documented somewhere when it comes to the upgrades?

Isn't what you've been doing an upgrade? ^^
Perhaps you have your next upgrade in mind.
Perhaps when DSM 7.3 comes out, you may need to rebuild the REDPILL loader you just did.
However, minor updates within DSM 7.2 can be safely updated from within DSM Control Panel.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Perhaps when DSM 7.3 comes out, you may need to rebuild the REDPILL loader you just did.
However, minor updates within DSM 7.2 can be safely updated from within DSM Control Panel.

Didn't express that properly I suppose :), but you did get what I wanted to say.

If a new version for 7.2 becomes available, then the only thing I have to do is just do the upgrade via the Control Panel. Nice and easy!! many many thanks again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to change the MAC address without reinstalling-reruning everything? For some reason, my mistake I guess, it has a different Mac during the initial boot and the original mac when boot is complete.  Also, is there a way to get all the logs in the console? For now, I am only getting lots up to the stage that it says no more logs will be posted.

Thx in advance 

6 hours ago, giann84 said:

Is there a way to change the MAC address without reinstalling-reruning everything? For some reason, my mistake I guess, it has a different Mac during the initial boot and the original mac when boot is complete.  Also, is there a way to get all the logs in the console? For now, I am only getting lots up to the stage that it says no more logs will be posted.

Thx in advance 

If you are using MSHELL and maintaining a FRIEND kernel, you can fix it by following the instructions below.

And in this topic, a lot of M SHELL-centered know-how has been accumulated.

Please use the M SHELL topic rather than this installation guide for now.

• Thanks 1

Hi Petter.

First let me say thank you for releasing this loader, it was the only one that worked for me. I tried every single other one and each got stuck in the IP loading step once the loader is configurated. I can only asume its a driver problem since my Nic is the RTL8125BG and now I know that a lot of people have a lot of issues with that nic. But somehow you manage to overcome that problem and I was able to login to the loader and connect to the nas DS3622xs+ and now is Up and running using DSM 7.2 .

So here is my problem, I am running a network at 2.5gb but for some unknown reason to me the nic is not passing 1 gigabit speed. While transferring files the maximum speed is 75 or 76 mbs, thats way below the speeds that I normally get. I was previously running Truenas Scale with no issues at all.

Any ideas on how i can bump those speeds up?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joewydiart said:

Hi Petter.

First let me say thank you for releasing this loader, it was the only one that worked for me. I tried every single other one and each got stuck in the IP loading step once the loader is configurated. I can only asume its a driver problem since my Nic is the RTL8125BG and now I know that a lot of people have a lot of issues with that nic. But somehow you manage to overcome that problem and I was able to login to the loader and connect to the nas DS3622xs+ and now is Up and running using DSM 7.2 .

So here is my problem, I am running a network at 2.5gb but for some unknown reason to me the nic is not passing 1 gigabit speed. While transferring files the maximum speed is 75 or 76 mbs, thats way below the speeds that I normally get. I was previously running Truenas Scale with no issues at all.

Any ideas on how i can bump those speeds up?

I've never used TrueNas, but it seems that TrueNas has more advantages in terms of nic speed.
In my case, in a 1 gigabit environment on Synology (Xpe), 75 to 90 was a typical speed when transferring from NAS to PC (Windows 10) using the SMB protocol.
The speed increased only when using multi-channel with multiple nics.

41 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

I've never used TrueNas, but it seems that TrueNas has more advantages in terms of nic speed.
In my case, in a 1 gigabit environment on Synology (Xpe), 75 to 90 was a typical speed when transferring from NAS to PC (Windows 10) using the SMB protocol.
The speed increased only when using multi-channel with multiple nics.

Noted. But since mine is a 2.5 gigabits nic, is it normal that it wont go up more than 1 gigabit, thats a huge letdown to me since I constantly move huge files (20-75 gb files) and at less than 1gbit speed it takes forever.

43 minutes ago, Joewydiart said:

Noted. But since mine is a 2.5 gigabits nic, is it normal that it wont go up more than 1 gigabit, thats a huge letdown to me since I constantly move huge files (20-75 gb files) and at less than 1gbit speed it takes forever.

Is a switch hub compatible with 2.5 gigabit being used, or is the nic directly connected to the other side also 2.5 gigabit?
I thought all these environments were 1 gigabit.
If everything is configured in a 2.5 gigabit environment, does the test result with iperf also show a slowdown?

2 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Is a switch hub compatible with 2.5 gigabit being used, or is the nic directly connected to the other side also 2.5 gigabit?
I thought all these environments were 1 gigabit.
If everything is configured in a 2.5 gigabit environment, does the test result with iperf also show a slowdown?

Everything its in a 2.5 environment. PC is 2.5 and Nas its 2.5, switch is 10, 5 and 2.5 gigabit. Build was previously used with Truenas and was working fine at 2.5 speeds.

Dont know how to run the iperf test

8 minutes ago, Joewydiart said:

Everything its in a 2.5 environment. PC is 2.5 and Nas its 2.5, switch is 10, 5 and 2.5 gigabit. Build was previously used with Truenas and was working fine at 2.5 speeds.

Dont know how to run the iperf test

iperf3 is available on Synology by installing the synogear package.
Installation and usage are simple.

sudo -i
synogear install
iperf3 -c [target ip addr]

If the speed decreases even in the iperf3 test, the stability of the nic module should be questioned.

Edited by Peter Suh

19 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

iperf3 is available on Synology by installing the synogear package.
Installation and usage are simple.

sudo -i
synogear install
iperf3 -c [target ip addr]

If the speed decreases even in the iperf3 test, the stability of the nic module should be questioned.

iperf3: error - unable to connect to server: Connection timed out

maybe im doing something wrong here

8 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

sorry, on the other side (server) has to use this commad.

iperf3 -s

Thy thanks for the clarification. When I run the command this is what I get:
iperf3.jpg.e45ba7e06e76cc3318c3868ec5d28ab5.jpg

it simply stays like this and do nothing.

I want to point out that my issue is when I am writing to the server that my speed is around 75 mbs:

writing.thumb.jpg.d3c0cb10f4167ce9100ec856a6e13e1b.jpg

But when I am sending a file from server to my PC the speed drastically change:

uploading.jpg.42554475b3c0e7ebc8f1f81558a945ac.jpg

still 100 mbs short of what I normally get with a different OS, but definitely 100mbs above what I get when I am sending files to the NAS right now.

I am running Raid 5 on my nas. I dont know if that affect the speeds on my server or if its a configuration thing, or even something with the driver.

Regradrles of that I do appreciate you taking from your time to help me.

I wanted to try Xpenology because I though it was going to be a more pleasant experience than Truenas, oh boy this been a headache 😅

Edited by Joewydiart