XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

9 hours ago, Lestat said:

I belive that is how my bios is set up but will double check when I get home 

And will try the direct boot 

Thanks

I had no luck with the ds3615 and the others only luck I had had ds918+ which now I have now toasted found it ran very slow

16 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

ARPL also has a function corresponding to TCRP JOT. Remember “Boot direct”. Try this first. A sata boot instead of usb won't do you any favors either. I don't know why, but there is a high probability of encountering a bug that unconditionally crashes the mount.

IMG_6388.thumb.png.49041ec8d85ba8020d042f5824b0da48.png

I Cant see the option in your picture 

there is no advanced option or switch direct boot in the options menu

20230730_133047.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lestat said:

do i use that image file to the usb in  place of your tinycore-redpill.v0.9.4.3-2.m-shell.img?

ARPL is a completely different loader than TCRP.
Forget my M SHELL for a moment and re-install the image of ARPL to your USB stick again.
ARPL is also provided as a menu method, so it is very easy.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

thank you for taking the time to help 

trying it again 

i tried making the build the loader with out the direct boot and the server was not seen by windows

am now trying it with switch direct boot true now i know how to get to the setting

10 minutes ago, Lestat said:

thank you for taking the time to help 

trying it again 

i tried making the build the loader with out the direct boot and the server was not seen by windows

am now trying it with switch direct boot true now i know how to get to the setting

Not using "direct boot" from ARPL is not supported by older AMDs.
Same situation as TCRP FRIEND kernel doesn't support it.

In fact, after you failed TCRP M SHELL's JOT mode, I made some changes to M SHELL's kernel loading process.
Trying to mount the FAT partition in question at a slightly earlier point in ARPL,
In the case of TCRP, this timing was slightly delayed.
However, I improved this so that M SHELL also tries to mount the FAT partition at the same time as ARPL.
To be precise, it is to give a slight delay so that this partition mounts.
The boot-wait addon does the job.

Edited by Peter Suh

N40L Bios settings C1E disabled and AHCI set 

IDE Combined mode dose not exist on my bios 

and the switch direct boot to true ds3622xs+ dsm 7.2-64570 update 1 is running fine

will your installer now work the same?

Do you want me to test your installer now to see if it works before i start to put things back on my server?

Edited by Lestat

8 minutes ago, Lestat said:

N40L Bios settings C1E disabled and AHCI set 

IDE Combined mode dose not exist on my bios 

and the switch direct boot to true ds3622xs+ dsm 7.2-64570 update 1 is running fine

will your installer now work the same?

Do you want me to test your installer now to see if it works before i start to put things back on my server?

There are no more things to check beforehand. I just want the disk to install without any file corruption.

• Thanks 1

dose the method we have used stop other things using the usb ports on the server 

i only ask as i have a ups and its no longer detected when i plug in the usb cable 

have also just tried it with a external hard drive and this is not detected both using different usb ports

9 hours ago, Lestat said:

would it still be the same loader 0.9.4.3-2 that you will use with your updated settings 

or will there be a new one?

aprl-i18n is good but i find your interface a lot easer to follow

If you already have a separate USB loader for M SHELL that is still archived, you do not need to re-record it.
New features of the module are automatically referenced through github in real time whenever the loader is built, and used during build.
There is nothing special to do.
However, if it is already working well in ARPL, please use it.
If you want, you can also test the TCRP additionally. Success is not guaranteed.

8 hours ago, Lestat said:

dose the method we have used stop other things using the usb ports on the server 

i only ask as i have a ups and its no longer detected when i plug in the usb cable 

have also just tried it with a external hard drive and this is not detected both using different usb ports

Only the REDPILL bootloader should be connected to the USB port of the PC used for XPE.
If two or more bootloaders are connected or if another USB stick is co-attached, it will affect kernel booting.
It was the first time I knew that it affected even the UPS using the USB port.
I have to ask N40L / N54L users who use UPS in the Korean community where I am active.

5 hours ago, sliders said:

hello Lestat , use tinycore-redpill.v0.9.3.0-1.m-shell.img

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

M SHELL uses APRL-i18n, pocopico's TCRP and img's image, so the meaning is a bit different.
M SHELL is when entering TCRP Loader Build that enters the TCRP Linux X terminal.
It always automatically downloads and maintains the latest version.

At the time of building the loader, it is also checked and kept up to date.
The redpill module or Addon used during loader build uses the latest state through Github.

So M SHELL should in fact see that the shared imgs of a release do not differ between versions.

Since the other two loaders are changed only when the user directly downloads the latest version through the Internet,

it may be meaningful to burn the shared img file of the latest release, which is a little different from M SHELL.

15 minutes ago, Lestat said:

its to get the ups to work only

from what i understand the after DSM7 there are no native drivers installed for the usb sockets on the n40l that is why the ups is not working 

So the UPS wasn't interfering with the booting of the USB bootloader? Isn't that right?

no the server is up and running plugging the ups in and its not seen by the server 

at first i was thinking it may be due to the boot loader and how it works thats why i asked the question 

but it now looks like synology removed the drivers for the usb ports that the n40l has

UPS still not working after a tried the steps above its a Cyber Power VP1200ELCD and shows compatible with the DS3266sx+ on the synology web site

so at a loss with that 

i tried your loader again i got to recover then i got failed it never asked me for a file just started counting 1% stopped at 2%

using synology assistant i can click on recover system then it did ask for the pat file but got the same problem as before gets to 57% then fails 

Screenshot 2023-07-31 145220.png

Edited by Lestat
update

10 minutes ago, Lestat said:

UPS still not working after a tried the steps above its a Cyber Power VP1200ELCD and shows compatible with the DS3266sx+ on the synology web site

so at a loss with that 

i tried your loader again i got to recover then i got failed it never asked me for a file just started counting 1% stopped at 2%

using synology assistant i can click on recover system then it did ask for the pat file but got the same problem as before gets to 57% then fails 

Screenshot 2023-07-31 145220.png

Now that you have started using ARPL, please continue your UPS issues and inquiries on ARPL to the topics below.

wjz304 will definitely give you a nice and definitive answer.