XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

5 hours ago, extenue said:

ok good to know for future.

If I may ask , is there something doable to ensure disk can hibernate when not in use ? from what I can see my disks never hibernate even if that's configured on DSM , a quick google research show me it's a known issue but I don't really find any solution , is there a mod or something doable ?

Tchuss

I haven't tried changing the disk hibernation mode myself.

I didn't think to try it because I only knew that it had a bad effect on disk life.

I only know that there is a way to apply it since DSM 7.2.

10 hours ago, clyver said:

Hello,

installation performed on the loader but no USB boot

Starting kernel with USB boot

The img image has two versions: Legacy and UEFI.
Each should be used for its intended purpose.
If you have a legacy version of img and are using UEFI, try changing to legacy boot.

something REALLY strange happened :(

DSM up to date , two external 2.5'' HDD plugged via USB , copy in progress , I plug an external SSD 2.5'' drive from there nightmare began ...

one of the two 2.5'' HDD has been ejected , the SSD is not recognized , quick google research tells me to reboot ... on next reboot no more network , Synology Assistant find the Proliant not configured ?!? , it tried to apply DHCP then said failed ... reboot on build mode, I notice a backup being restored , maybe this happens all the time I don't know , network is recognized , I can access with SSH but I decide to not do anything so reboot on DSM : still nothing found

What should I do next ? do a fresh new build on a second USB stick ? something else ?

Have I lost all my data ?

EDIT : I've decided to redo a build using another USB key , I've verified all disks are seen while I was on build mode , with that new USB key , synology assistant see my Proliant , propose me to download PAT and install it , if I do this , will I loose all my data or is this will just wipe the system partitions on the disks ?

Else , any idea of what I can try to do on original USB disk so DSM can work again ?

Thanks,

XT

Edited by extenue

1 hour ago, extenue said:

something REALLY strange happened :(

DSM up to date , two external 2.5'' HDD plugged via USB , copy in progress , I plug an external SSD 2.5'' drive from there nightmare began ...

one of the two 2.5'' HDD has been ejected , the SSD is not recognized , quick google research tells me to reboot ... on next reboot no more network , Synology Assistant find the Proliant not configured ?!? , it tried to apply DHCP then said failed ... reboot on build mode, I notice a backup being restored , maybe this happens all the time I don't know , network is recognized , I can access with SSH but I decide to not do anything so reboot on DSM : still nothing found

What should I do next ? do a fresh new build on a second USB stick ? something else ?

Have I lost all my data ?

EDIT : I've decided to redo a build using another USB key , I've verified all disks are seen while I was on build mode , with that new USB key , synology assistant see my Proliant , propose me to download PAT and install it , if I do this , will I loose all my data or is this will just wipe the system partitions on the disks ?

Else , any idea of what I can try to do on original USB disk so DSM can work again ?

Thanks,

XT

When you re-install you can select retain configuration. This will keep both your data and your configuration. If you dont have this option, it will warn you that your data will be lost. If you get that message then stop ! Boot from a live linux distro and get a backup of your data.

ok , meanwhile I've read that installing / reinstalling DSM do not touch data partition , I have reinstalled DSM 7.2 using your loader and PAT downloaded from Syno portal , all data are there.

I found everything more slow , it's hot now here , more than 30° C in the room

I still don't understand what happened ? from now , I am not sure I'll plug too many HDD at same time .. I can't believe what I am saying ...

EDIT : Thinking about it ... I am now booting on another USB drive which I know is slower than the first one , when any settings are saved in DSM , where this is stored : on the USB key (which I think) or somewhere on system partitions of the disks ? That slowness could be explained by poor performances of the new USB drive ..

and as DSM never appears anymore using first USB Pen drive (loader boot but DSM  never came online) , I can imagine a corruption somewhere on the loader , is it possible to troubleshoot this , restore backup to try to come back to previous version or something like this ? any possibility to backup settings from first USB drive to restore to second ?

Thanks

XT

Edited by extenue

1 hour ago, extenue said:

ok , meanwhile I've read that installing / reinstalling DSM do not touch data partition , I have reinstalled DSM 7.2 using your loader and PAT downloaded from Syno portal , all data are there.

I found everything more slow , it's hot now here , more than 30° C in the room

I still don't understand what happened ? from now , I am not sure I'll plug too many HDD at same time .. I can't believe what I am saying ...

EDIT : Thinking about it ... I am now booting on another USB drive which I know is slower than the first one , when any settings are saved in DSM , where this is stored : on the USB key (which I think) or somewhere on system partitions of the disks ? That slowness could be explained by poor performances of the new USB drive ..

and as DSM never appears anymore using first USB Pen drive (loader boot but DSM  never came online) , I can imagine a corruption somewhere on the loader , is it possible to troubleshoot this , restore backup to try to come back to previous version or something like this ? any possibility to backup settings from first USB drive to restore to second ?

Thanks

XT

Hi, DSM might have decided to perform a volume data scrubbing. This actually read and writes on the volume a lot and some slowness might be experienced during that process. 

Can you please check "Storage Manager" under storage -> Storage Poll and see whats the status ?  

You dont need to care much about the USB disk speed, thats only used to boot the kernel and ramdisk. DSM is stored on DISKS.

Edited by pocopico

Hi Pocopico ! congrats for your hard work

all is fine under Storage Manager , I think the slowness are due to the high temperature , I am more concerned about what happened before , I've more or less reproduced the same problem on pluggin that SSD on new build , it has never been recognized , then I have seen similar message at this morning saying to connection has failed and I had to try to reconnect to DSM ... I have not rebooted since , maybe on next boot it'll be same :)

anyway , I know the data can't be lost , I have reconfigured what I have lost (mount , etc ...) , next time I'll backup settings from DSM ...

53 minutes ago, extenue said:

all is fine under Storage Manager , I think the slowness are due to the high temperature , I am more concerned about what happened before , I've more or less reproduced the same problem on pluggin that SSD on new build , it has never been recognized , then I have seen similar message at this morning saying to connection has failed and I had to try to reconnect to DSM ... I have not rebooted since , maybe on next boot it'll be same :)

anyway , I know the data can't be lost , I have reconfigured what I have lost (mount , etc ...) , next time I'll backup settings from DSM ...

You might have wrong internalportcfg setting on synoinfo.conf. Can you please check by running :

grep -i internalportcfg /etc/synoinfo.conf 

18 hours ago, extenue said:

here we go ! on next reboot = same thing , DSM has the status of "not installed" with synology assistant , so issue is reproducible : I plug that SSD via USB and on next reboot no more DSM

too many issues , I don't know what's going on , I can build loader , but once I install DSM , the installation is always fine but no network on next reboot , tested two times.

too much issues , I need to find some alternatives , is it possible to have that jot mode with another loader ? sorry to ask but I need to try something

something must have changed on the repo ? why it's not working now anymore whereas all was ok few days ago ? nothing has changed on my end ..

EDIT : my bad I think sorry ... the PAT I am using is DSM_DS3622xs+_64570.pat whereas build is for 64561 .. I forgot DSM has been updated recently , sorry , I guess all will be fine with 64561  ,I hope I can find it somewhere

EDIT 2 : unable to find 7.2.64561 , does anyone can give me a link please ? for DS3622XS+ , thank you !

Edited by extenue

1 hour ago, clyver said:

I find mac1 & sn 

no letters it is in which file

Le numéro de série dans DSM doit impérativement être au format : XXXXUBRXXXXXX

Il te faut impérativement reconfigurer dans le build du loader (quand tu crées le loader) le "serial" (numéro de série).

Normalement, si tu as la dernière version du loader, l'option pour générer un numéro de série aléatoire respecte la condition d'avoir les 3 lettres UBR.

Vérifie le numéro de série affiché dans DSM lorsqu'il est démarré. Tant que tu n'auras pas ces 3 lettres UBR (à la bonne position) tu auras un problème de licences.

----------------------

(english translation for other readers)

The serial number in DSM must be in the format: XXXXUBRXXXXXX

You must imperatively reconfigure in the build of the loader (when you create the loader) the "serial" (serial number).

Normally, if you have the latest version of the loader, the option to generate a random serial number respects the condition of having the 3 letters UBR.

Checks the serial number displayed in DSM when it is started. As long as you don't have these 3 letters UBR (in the right position) you will have a licensing problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Orphée said:

Le numéro de série dans DSM doit impérativement être au format : XXXXUBRXXXXXX

Il te faut impérativement reconfigurer dans le build du loader (quand tu crées le loader) le "serial" (numéro de série).

Normalement, si tu as la dernière version du loader, l'option pour générer un numéro de série aléatoire respecte la condition d'avoir les 3 lettres UBR.

Vérifie le numéro de série affiché dans DSM lorsqu'il est démarré. Tant que tu n'auras pas ces 3 lettres UBR (à la bonne position) tu auras un problème de licences.

----------------------

(english translation for other readers)

The serial number in DSM must be in the format: XXXXUBRXXXXXX

You must imperatively reconfigure in the build of the loader (when you create the loader) the "serial" (serial number).

Normally, if you have the latest version of the loader, the option to generate a random serial number respects the condition of having the 3 letters UBR.

Checks the serial number displayed in DSM when it is started. As long as you don't have these 3 letters UBR (in the right position) you will have a licensing problem.

when I regenerate the serial number I have sn=2040SJRE1GXWF it varies but no UBR in the latter I did it three times

lorsque je régénère le numéro de série j’ai sn=2040SJRE1GXWF elle varie mais pas de UBR dans ce dernier je l’ai fais trois fois

10 minutes ago, clyver said:

when I regenerate the serial number I have sn=2040SJRE1GXWF it varies but no UBR in the latter I did it three times

lorsque je régénère le numéro de série j’ai sn=2040SJRE1GXWF elle varie mais pas de UBR dans ce dernier je l’ai fais trois fois

Download this shell and try it out.
UBR rules were applied.

curl -kLO https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/sngen.sh
chmod +x sngen.sh
./sngen.sh DVA1622

Peter , please help , I don't know when you have updated your repo but now your loader is giving 64570 and no more 64561.

When have you updated your repo ?

Now , I am not able to bring back to life my proliant N54L , all is fine until DSM installation (post build , Synology Assistant see my N54L and propose me to install it on uploading a PAT) but after installation , on next reboot , then network does not work , all looks good on console but NAS is not found.

To validate this , could you please somehow add a line in your menu to install 64561 ? if that's the case then can you share the PAT if you have it as I have been unable to find it anywhere

Thanks & Regards

XT

Edited by extenue

21 minutes ago, extenue said:

Peter , please help , I don't know when you have updated your repo but now your loader is giving 64570 and no more 64561.

Now , I am not able to bring back to life my proliant N54L , all is fine until DSM installation (post build , Synology Assistant see my N54L and propose me to install it on uploading a PAT) but after installation , on next reboot , then network does not work , all looks good on console but NAS is not found.

To validate this , could you please somehow add a line in your menu to install 64561 ? if that's the case then can you share the PAT if you have it as I have been unable to find it anywhere

Thanks & Regards

XT

You've grown the problem too far out of hand.
It seems that Synology experts have tried the method not recommended.
The first thing I mentioned was disk hibernation.
This should not be attempted.
Moreover, power saving on USB disk is even worse.
If you have no choice but to use an external disk, Synology recommends ESATA instead of USB interface.
It seems risky to you to proceed with building the DS3622xs+ 7.2-64570 with a USB disk.

You said you have a N54L, do you have 4 internal HDDs and 2 USB HDDs?
Remove the USB-type HDD even now so that it does not participate in DSM update.
Only 4 built-in SATA HDDs can be used to stably update, and USB HDDs can be installed afterwards. (I recommend avoiding it if possible.)
As far as is known, N54L with old AMD CPU is said to work only in Jot.

Last time I finished distributing Jot available on 7.2-64570 on M SHELL, and on page 34 of this topic you responded that you put the new feature to good use.
I don't understand why it has to stay at 7.2-64561 again now.
Wasn't the migration from DS3622xs+ to 7.2-64570 successful last time?

Please let me know what I am misunderstanding.

28 minutes ago, extenue said:

Thanks & Regards

XT

The situation on page 34 was 7.2-64561 JOT.
7.2-64570 was updated again between last weekend.
I was misunderstanding.
I will check again if 7.2-64570 can work as JOT and tell you.