XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

[NOTICE]

Added Mellanox 25/50/100G driver auto-detection list to M SHELL for TCRP.

New NICs corresponding to ConnectX 6, 7, 8 and Bluefield 3, 4 are the targets added this time.

Pocopico's TCRP is not updated, so these NICs will not work.

Must be used only in M SHELL.

This is a list of newly added NICs.

vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 101d ("MT2892 Family [ConnectX-6 Dx]")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 101e ("ConnectX Family mlx5Gen Virtual Function")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 101f ("MT2894 Family [ConnectX-6 Lx]")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 1021 ("MT2910 Family [ConnectX-7]")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: 1023 ("CX8 Family [ConnectX-8]")

vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: a2dc ("MT43244 BlueField-3 integrated ConnectX-7 network controller")
vendor: 15b3 ("Mellanox Technologies"), device: a2df ("BF4 Family integrated network controller [BlueField-4 integrated network controller]")

These are NICs with tremendous speeds starting from the minimum speed of 25GB.

I don't know if anyone can test it.

M SHELL for TCRP loader needs to be rebuilt to reflect it.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/blob/main/all-modules/auxfiles/modules.alias.4.json#L11139

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

Hello folks,

I'm trying to install TCRP on a HP T620 Thinclient.
I used the "withfriend" command to build the loader. I haven't installed any extension.
TCRP Friend is showing an IP address, but find.synology.com or Synology Assistant doesn't find the NAS. I'm also getting a timeout when pinging the NAS. My router is showing this DHCP client with the same MAC address as shown in TCRP Friend boot screen.

Any idea what's going on?

19 hours ago, MichelD said:

Hello folks,

I'm trying to install TCRP on a HP T620 Thinclient.
I used the "withfriend" command to build the loader. I haven't installed any extension.
TCRP Friend is showing an IP address, but find.synology.com or Synology Assistant doesn't find the NAS. I'm also getting a timeout when pinging the NAS. My router is showing this DHCP client with the same MAC address as shown in TCRP Friend boot screen.

Any idea what's going on?

I figured out. Installed TCRP "without Friend" and the NAS was reachable immediately. It looks like TCRP "Friend" doesn't support this hardware.

1 hour ago, MichelD said:

I figured out. Installed TCRP "without Friend" and the NAS was reachable immediately. It looks like TCRP "Friend" doesn't support this hardware.

AMD based PC MOBO is limited in TCRP FRIEND.

Of the Synology platforms, the v1000 or r1000 are really based on the AMD platform and

The corresponding models are DS1621+, DS2422+ and DS923+.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-t620-flexible-thin-client/5404706/document/c04017240

Until now, since the HP N54L is based on AMD, I have been having the same problem, so I have recommended a jot mode build without friend.

Perhaps HP N54L might work with FRIEND if you try only with the above 3 models.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

[NOTICE]

Distribute the new model DS723+ and the 7.0.1-42218 version of the transcoding model.

DS723+

Adds one more model of r1000 platform like DS923+ to M SHELL for TCRP.

The DS723+ has two bays.

Like DS923+, it seems to show high compatibility with Ryzen CPU XPE.

The DS923+ and DS723+ models can be used by converting M.2 NVMe to non-cache SSD data disks without any special tricks.

https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/tutorial/Which_models_support_M_2_SSD_storage_pool

a5212b6f1461e3baf341f871873e7ad5.thumb.jpg.e707a9e852c42878dbf8262f1ddabee3.jpg

7.0.1-42218

Next, in M SHELL for those who want to use it without genuine SN in transcoding

Expanded the menu for the 7.0.1-42218 version build for the three models DS918+, DS920+, DS1019+.

If it is not the above 3 models, the menu itself is not visible.

If you are using M SHELL in the past, it will be automatically updated at the point of entry into TCRP Linux.

If the update is not successful, please update and re-execute directly with the command below.

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O

tar -zxvf my.sh.gz

./rploader.sh backup

./menu.sh

• 2 weeks later...

[NOTICE]

Integrated module pack (fabio's ARPL MODULES), which can be said to be the most core function of ARPL,

There is a function that recognizes the event that a device is newly added and processes the daemon to load the module automatically.

At the heart of this feature is something called EUDEV.

The EUDEV daemon's handling is whenever a new device is detected.

It finds and loads modules (ko files) previously placed in /lib/modules.

When a new NIC or HBA card is used, you can check that only the ko file exists in the ARPL integrated module list.

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl-modules

And the detected device static module loading, which is still used by pocopico for the original TCRP, is

I named it DDSML.

This method is based on VID / PID analyzed by ARPL's integrated module pack with TCRP's lspci command.

This is a method of injecting matching modules one by one by comparing pre-prepared modules.alias.4.json files.

If this is done statically, even if the integrated module pack is prepared, if modules.alias.4.json is not prepared,

There is a blind spot that prevents module installation.

Could the opposite be the case?

Since the two developers are different, it is possible that there are omissions in both places.

The full names of the two abbreviations are as follows.

EUDEV
embedded userspace device with eudev deamon

DDSML
Detected Device Static Module Loading with modprobe / insmod command

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-modules

52602638_2023-03-019_08_58.thumb.png.57ddf5c20efd9a45d81c4c8c8d0939db.png

68525050_2023-02-2612_38_29.thumb.png.15dfaa3b79e910e2eb82061bea5c328c.png

In M SHELL for TCRP, EUDEV is set as the default value.

If possible, use the improved EUDEV first,

If EUDEV does not work, please rebuild the loader after switching to DDSML.

So far, the officially confirmed problem was that Intel 4th generation Haswell and Xeon did not work in EUDEV in Denverton (DVA3221 / DVA3219).

Switching to DDSML solves the problem.

The menu composition has been changed and it is automatically updated when running TCRP Linux.

1388409214_2023-03-018_29_11.thumb.png.509222e41238656af68a4f508ce3d4fb.png

If you are installing a new, you can use the release link below for the latest version.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.4.0-1

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 4:13 AM, Peter Suh said:

[NOTICE]

Integrated module pack (fabio's ARPL MODULES), which can be said to be the most core function of ARPL,

There is a function that recognizes the event that a device is newly added and processes the daemon to load the module automatically.

At the heart of this feature is something called EUDEV.

The EUDEV daemon's handling is whenever a new device is detected.

It finds and loads modules (ko files) previously placed in /lib/modules.

When a new NIC or HBA card is used, you can check that only the ko file exists in the ARPL integrated module list.

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl-modules

And the detected device static module loading, which is still used by pocopico for the original TCRP, is

I named it DDSML.

This method is based on VID / PID analyzed by ARPL's integrated module pack with TCRP's lspci command.

This is a method of injecting matching modules one by one by comparing pre-prepared modules.alias.4.json files.

If this is done statically, even if the integrated module pack is prepared, if modules.alias.4.json is not prepared,

There is a blind spot that prevents module installation.

Could the opposite be the case?

Since the two developers are different, it is possible that there are omissions in both places.

The full names of the two abbreviations are as follows.

EUDEV
embedded userspace device with eudev deamon

DDSML
Detected Device Static Module Loading with modprobe / insmod command

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-modules

52602638_2023-03-019_08_58.thumb.png.57ddf5c20efd9a45d81c4c8c8d0939db.png

68525050_2023-02-2612_38_29.thumb.png.15dfaa3b79e910e2eb82061bea5c328c.png

In M SHELL for TCRP, EUDEV is set as the default value.

If possible, use the improved EUDEV first,

If EUDEV does not work, please rebuild the loader after switching to DDSML.

So far, the officially confirmed problem was that Intel 4th generation Haswell and Xeon did not work in EUDEV in Denverton (DVA3221 / DVA3219).

Switching to DDSML solves the problem.

The menu composition has been changed and it is automatically updated when running TCRP Linux.

1388409214_2023-03-018_29_11.thumb.png.509222e41238656af68a4f508ce3d4fb.png

If you are installing a new, you can use the release link below for the latest version.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.4.0-1

Hi, thank you for the work. 

I tried creating a DVA3219 loader using your 0.9.4.0-1 but once the loader is created and reboot, I do not see an updated grub. It just gives me an option for the tinycore linux itself. what should i do?

thank you. 

20 hours ago, powerw6 said:

Hi, thank you for the work. 

I tried creating a DVA3219 loader using your 0.9.4.0-1 but once the loader is created and reboot, I do not see an updated grub. It just gives me an option for the tinycore linux itself. what should i do?

thank you. 

In case of TCRP FRIEND, everything should be written in user_config.json instead of grub.cfg.
This user_config.json must be completed before the loader is built, and if modifications occur after the loader is built,

you must go back to Tinycore Linux, modify this file, and rebuild the loader.

On 3/25/2023 at 7:01 AM, Peter Suh said:

In case of TCRP FRIEND, everything should be written in user_config.json instead of grub.cfg.
This user_config.json must be completed before the loader is built, and if modifications occur after the loader is built,

you must go back to Tinycore Linux, modify this file, and rebuild the loader.

I've tried rebuilding multiple times after that but it still does not boot into the loader. I did not touch user_conf after building. I ended up just using the beta ARPL. :(

Hello!

I have an Intel NUC d54250wyk with an i5-4250U Processor (4th Gen - Haswell).

I try to install DSM 7.1

I used the latest UEFI image (is this correct)? It has UEFI "bios".

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
./rploader.sh serialgen DS918+ realmac
./rploader.sh identifyusb now
./rploader.sh satamap now
./rploader.sh build ds918p-7.1.1-42962 auto
./rploader.sh clean now
rm -rf /mnt/sdb3/auxfiles; rm -rf /home/tc/custom-module;
exitcheck.sh reboot

"SataPortMap": "1",
"DiskIdxMap": "00"

I have a very small SSD as storage, but is ok, I don't need storage.

The problem is "No Drives detected in DS918+"

Please help

Thank you

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 19.24.37.jpg

8 hours ago, Mentat said:

Hello!

I have an Intel NUC d54250wyk with an i5-4250U Processor (4th Gen - Haswell).

I try to install DSM 7.1

I used the latest UEFI image (is this correct)? It has UEFI "bios".

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
./rploader.sh serialgen DS918+ realmac
./rploader.sh identifyusb now
./rploader.sh satamap now
./rploader.sh build ds918p-7.1.1-42962 auto
./rploader.sh clean now
rm -rf /mnt/sdb3/auxfiles; rm -rf /home/tc/custom-module;
exitcheck.sh reboot

"SataPortMap": "1",
"DiskIdxMap": "00"

I have a very small SSD as storage, but is ok, I don't need storage.

The problem is "No Drives detected in DS918+"

Please help

Thank you

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 19.24.37.jpg

How small is the SSD?

Depending on the capacity of the SSD, it may or may not be recognized as a disk.

I'm not sure how this baremetal thing works, so I decided to clarify just in case: let's say we have an original ds920+ device and an assembly for Intel i3 10th generation with 2.5gbit lan adapters. Will the assembly work at the same performance level as original device with no advantages, or will it work at the full capacity of compatible hardware (processor threads, 2.5Gb network, more RAM than ds920+ supports) but will write information in the system properties as for the original device? 

28 minutes ago, mar1boro said:

I'm not sure how this baremetal thing works, so I decided to clarify just in case: let's say we have an original ds920+ device and an assembly for Intel i3 10th generation with 2.5gbit lan adapters. Will the assembly work at the same performance level as original device with no advantages, or will it work at the full capacity of compatible hardware (processor threads, 2.5Gb network, more RAM than ds920+ supports) but will write information in the system properties as for the original device? 

It will work at the full capacity of compatible hardware, even if the CPU will be shown as Intel Celeron J4125. 
If you want, you can show the real CPU of your build, following this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9I-5srNfNY

Edited by maxime
  • Like 1

[NOTICE]

I release TCRP Friend v0.0.6. (Now I am not afraid of being bricked. ^^)

There was a request from our member to apply ARPL's getty console addon to M SHELL for TCRP, so I finished reflecting and distributing it today.

The version of TCRP FRIEND will be automatically updated to v0.0.6 and the screen will look like the one below.

The key change here is the red line in the middle.

press to enter a Getty Console to solve trouble

1315584529_2023-04-0610_55_54.thumb.png.058e15abf77d0deec67f4f83af8c0e20.png

You might be wondering how to use this Getty console.

After building the redpill bootloader, when you can't proceed anymore due to a brick phenomenon of unknown cause

This is a very useful feature for identifying problems.

Even if the LAN card does not work, this Getty console works. Serial cables are no longer needed.

Press the g key within 7 seconds from the above booting screen and wait for a while to change to the getty console screen as shown below.

1192237518_2023-04-0712_03_04.thumb.png.963bb88439b1c24928e261a1ec7519a4.png

You can log in as root without a password.

In this state

SynologyNas> cat /var/log/*rc*

and show me the log that looks like below.

Usually errors are mostly at the bottom of the log.

Sometimes to check kernel panic

SynologyNas> dmesg

In some cases, confirmation may be required.

Depending on the case, the log or situation to check is different, so I think you can do the command as I request.

1465108935_2023-04-0712_04_24.thumb.png.389f90308dd37388d51a46b3ec8c178b.png

To use this function, you must build the loader once again in M SHELL fot TCRP FRIEND.

If you press the g key while there is no build, the above getty console will not activate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi to everyone! I have a problem and I hope you can help me.
I've a baremetal XPEnology DS918+working with DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 on TCRP Friend. Today I connect a second PCI-ex 1Gb/s NIC to my XPE (first NIC is onboard); I boot without connected the second lan cable, but my server was unreachable. Then I ran Synology assistant but the State of my DiskStation was "NOT INSTALLED"!

I tried to remove the second NIC, and reboot it, but the State is always "NOT INSTALLED"! What is happened? Is it possible that inserting the second NIC I broke the bootloader?
How can I solve this problem? Thanks for your support!

9 hours ago, maxime said:

Hi to everyone! I have a problem and I hope you can help me.
I've a baremetal XPEnology DS918+working with DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 on TCRP Friend. Today I connect a second PCI-ex 1Gb/s NIC to my XPE (first NIC is onboard); I boot without connected the second lan cable, but my server was unreachable. Then I ran Synology assistant but the State of my DiskStation was "NOT INSTALLED"!

I tried to remove the second NIC, and reboot it, but the State is always "NOT INSTALLED"! What is happened? Is it possible that inserting the second NIC I broke the bootloader?
How can I solve this problem? Thanks for your support!

I think you will need to install a second NIC, add mac2 and rebuild the loader. Did you proceed like this?

18 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I think you will need to install a second NIC, add mac2 and rebuild the loader. Did you proceed like this?

No, I simply connected the second NIC. When I tried to boot, and it didn't work, I disconnected the second NIC and reboot.
After many reboot, now the server seems to work again.

If I would to install the second NIC, how could I add mac2? Sorry, I'm not so expert, could you please show me more specifically, how to do it? Thank you very much!

On 4/14/2023 at 5:53 AM, maxime said:

No, I simply connected the second NIC. When I tried to boot, and it didn't work, I disconnected the second NIC and reboot.
After many reboot, now the server seems to work again.

If I would to install the second NIC, how could I add mac2? Sorry, I'm not so expert, could you please show me more specifically, how to do it? Thank you very much!

I don't know if you are using my M SHELL for TCRP FRIEND or pocopico's.

My M SHELL has a function to easily add MAC2 on the menu.

If it is pocopico's TCRP, you can add more M SHELL functions with the command below.

If you execute the command below, ./menu.sh is automatically executed and the M SHELL menu appears.

curl -k -L "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/master/my.sh.gz" -O; tar -zxvf my.sh.gz ; ./rploader.sh backup; ./menu.sh

In this menu, select MAC ADDRESS 2 to finish adding mac2.

Then, rebuild with the FREIND loader.

1270515129_2023-04-1512_19_07.png.8bf8b34de494efcea77bb4f2fcdac7be.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Dell R720XD with ESXI 7 and a sas controller flashed to IT mode past directly to the VM. For the raid controller to be recognized by Synology I had to build the image as normal then ran ./rploader satamap and wrote down sataport= and diskidmap= and choose no to update. Then I rebooted let it boot and did "e" chose ediit sata config and added both entries and applied the changes and they reconized the options are in the config just add =# to each, DO NOT  MIGRATE DRIVES before adding your these modifications or you'll loose drives. Also I had 2 virtual nics and mellanox 2 port 40GB and using the menu system Synology wouldn't load. What I had to do was manually edit user config file in the menu and put change mac# for the 40GB to be firsts and the Virtual nics last. I would like to see creator add too scan for HBA's in menu as well as work on the way network adapters are added, to sum up.

Choose the model, serial, and macs in menu

Figure out your macs and change the mac#

mac1 Virtual NIC xx:xx:xx:xx:01 to mac3 Virtual NIC xx:xx:xx:xx:01

mac2 Virtual NIC xx:xx:xx:xx:02 to mac4 Virtual NIC xx:xx:xx:xx:02

mac3 40g Nic xx:xx:xx:xx:03 to mac1 40g Nic xx:xx:xx:xx:03

mac4 40g Nic xx:xx:xx:xx:04 t0 mac2 40g Nic xx:xx:xx:xx:04

Build image

./rploader.sh satamap in another terminal (write down the info)

N to not update

Boot up synology before it does the finale stage

press e

edit sata config

look for

sataport change to sataport=your info

diskidmap change to diskidmap=your info

ok to update and continue to boot

Edited by sb0519
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sb0519 said:

I have a Dell R720XD with ESXI 7 and a sas controller flashed to IT mode past directly to the VM. For the raid controller to be recognized by Synology I had to build the image as normal then ran ./rploader satamap and wrote down sataport= and diskidmap= and choose no to update. Then I rebooted let it boot and did "e" chose ediit sata config and added both entries and applied the changes and they reconized the options are in the config just add =# to each, DO NOT  MIGRATE DRIVES before adding your these modifications or you'll loose drives. Also I had 2 virtual nics and mellanox 2 port 40GB and using the menu system Synology wouldn't load. What I had to do was manually edit user config file in the menu and put change mac# for the 40GB to be firsts and the Virtual nics last. I would like to see creator add too scan for HBA's in menu as well as work on the way network adapters are added, to sum up.

Choose the model, serial, and macs in menu

Figure out your macs and change the mac#

mac1 Virtual NIC xx:xx:xx:xx:01 to mac3 Virtual NIC xx:xx:xx:xx:01

mac2 Virtual NIC xx:xx:xx:xx:02 to mac4 Virtual NIC xx:xx:xx:xx:02

mac3 40g Nic xx:xx:xx:xx:03 to mac1 40g Nic xx:xx:xx:xx:03

mac4 40g Nic xx:xx:xx:xx:04 t0 mac2 40g Nic xx:xx:xx:xx:04

Build image

./rploader.sh satamap in another terminal (write down the info)

N to not update

Boot up synology before it does the finale stage

press e

edit sata config

look for

sataport change to sataport=your info

diskidmap change to diskidmap=your info

ok to update and continue to boot

It seems that I wrote this guide because I initialized not to record values in Sata PortMap and DiskIdxMap in the M SHELL VM environment.
Is that right?

This is because I thought it would be best for beginners to automatically map the disk without recording the Sata PortMap and DiskIdxMap values according to the TTG guidelines.

However, advanced users may want to manually adjust the above values.
I didn't have an idea to satisfy both users, so I chose the initialization method.

In your guide, the ability to edit the sata cmdline by entering the e key has been added since kernel version v0.0.5 of the M Shell for TCRP Friend loader as shown below.

Thank you for writing the guide.

3 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Thanks for the information I didn't know there was already a guide. I do have one request can you add DSM support version 6 for those who want run older software like modded version of SurveillanceStation on the newer loader as Juns loader is pain for setting up spoofed macs and I would like to use 10gb virtual nics to baremetal nics.

It seems that I wrote this guide because I initialized not to record values in Sata PortMap and DiskIdxMap in the M SHELL VM environment.
Is that right?

This is because I thought it would be best for beginners to automatically map the disk without recording the Sata PortMap and DiskIdxMap values according to the TTG guidelines.

However, advanced users may want to manually adjust the above values.
I didn't have an idea to satisfy both users, so I chose the initialization method.

In your guide, the ability to edit the sata cmdline by entering the e key has been added since kernel version v0.0.5 of the M Shell for TCRP Friend loader as shown below.

Thank you for writing the guide.

Please forgive the double post I don't know how the qoutes option works here.

Thanks for the information from above and great work on the loader, I didn't know there was already another guide. I do have one request can you add DSM support version for 6 for those who want to run older software like modded version of SurveillanceStation on the newer loader as Juns loader is pain for setting up spoofed macs and I would like to use 10gb virtual nics to baremetal nics.

Edited by sb0519

14 minutes ago, sb0519 said:

Please forgive the double post I don't know how the qoutes option works here.

Thanks for the information from above and great work on the loader. I didn't know there was already a guide. I do have one request can you add DSM support version 6 for those who want run older software like modded version of SurveillanceStation on the newer loader as Juns loader is pain for setting up spoofed macs and I would like to use 10gb virtual nics to baremetal nics.

M SHELL is supported from DSM 7,

I know that pocopico's TCRP supports DSM 6.2.4.

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.4.3

https://github.com/pocopico/redpill-load/tree/master/config/DS918%2B

Available models are the 3 models below.
DS918+ / DS3615xs / DS3617xs

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I've been using Synology for awhile is the new loader worth using and the links for the new loader you listed for the vmware image and the other image was removed from google. I also need to figure out how to compile the mellanox modules. I will have to admit this is my main nas but like to play around to see what I can do to make it better. Also I was able to migrate just fine but lost 2 drives but no data was lost but I knew better but wanted to see what it did by default and was able to recover the 2 drives after the edit above.

Edited by sb0519