XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

27 minutes ago, Plex4Me said:

thanks for your reply. see screenshot appears that it is ping-able til the point the kernel loads.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 11.01.39 am.png

I would like to know what the chipset of your nic is.
The 2nd window among the 4 windows for TCRP loader build displays the chipset of nic.
Your NIC responds with ping while the FRIEND kernel waits 7 seconds.
It will stop from the moment it changes to 0.

In the process of loading the kernel, nic seems to be unable to respond due to a crash of the nic module or other problems.

DS3615xs+ has an older kernel module, so it is relatively disadvantageous compared to other models.
Your Atom processor is good enough to use the DS3622xs+.
Would you like to switch to this model using the new kernel module?

If you are already using the DS3615xs+, you can migrate to the DS3622xs+ without problems.

46 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

I would like to know what the chipset of your nic is.
The 2nd window among the 4 windows for TCRP loader build displays the chipset of nic.
Your NIC responds with ping while the FRIEND kernel waits 7 seconds.
It will stop from the moment it changes to 0.

In the process of loading the kernel, nic seems to be unable to respond due to a crash of the nic module or other problems.

DS3615xs+ has an older kernel module, so it is relatively disadvantageous compared to other models.
Your Atom processor is good enough to use the DS3622xs+.
Would you like to switch to this model using the new kernel module?

If you are already using the DS3615xs+, you can migrate to the DS3622xs+ without problems.

Ok so I have gone with the suggestion above to use DS3622xs+ and all installed correctly, upon first boot I receive "ERROR Could not get IP"

This is something new for me as all previous seemed to get the IP after the build, I can only assume this might be because of selecting this new version. I am just about to boot back into your loader and see if there is an option to inject the network drivers, wondering if that is the issue in this new build.

see screenshot

IMG_8380.JPG

5 minutes ago, Plex4Me said:

Ok so I have gone with the suggestion above to use DS3622xs+ and all installed correctly, upon first boot I receive "ERROR Could not get IP"

This is something new for me as all previous seemed to get the IP after the build, I can only assume this might be because of selecting this new version. I am just about to boot back into your loader and see if there is an option to inject the network drivers, wondering if that is the issue in this new build.

see screenshot

IMG_8380.JPG

"ERROR Could not get IP" may not necessarily lead directly to not getting an IP from DHCP.
It is simply a helpful reference.

The most important is your MOBO model name and NIC chipset.
Is it hard to tell you this information?

In the previous post, I noticed that your MOBO is Thecus N5550. I'll look up the specs and figure out the NIC chipset.

Edited by Peter Suh

40 minutes ago, Plex4Me said:

image.thumb.png.d6bf8107c62ad30284837d0550b8958f.png

pulled from here: Modders Thecus N5550

IMG_8381.jpg

I knew very well that two Intel e1000e chipsets were being used.

The fact that the memory is only 2GB seems to be a disadvantage.
Although TCRP's minimum memory recommendation is 2GB,
this is the case with the previous version
Judging from the fact that the GNU kernel used by ARPL requires 4GB
I wonder if the kernel of TCRP FRIEND is also the same.

The memory capacity issue is something that needs to be checked again by the opinions of the REDPILL developers.

TCRP supports JOT MOD as well as FRIEND kernels.
I think that memory capacity issue can be solved in this JOT.
It would be good to try once.

You can switch to JOT instead of FRIEND on the TCRP loader build menu.
Also, change the loader method to DDSML Only, not DDSML+EUDEV.

If JOT's attempt fails, it is preparation to present the next method.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Thanks 1

well well well...

image.thumb.png.9799b8a44576cceb02f73139192c4bea.png

using the above recommendations I am presented with this now :)

Thank you so much for your assistance. From here I guess I have 2 questions/realisations:

1. If i want to run the default modern loaders I will need at least 4gb RAM?

2. If and when I upgrade the RAM and test that I can use the default modern loaders, given my NAS is a 5-Bay, should I be opting for a model with 5 bays by default EG, DS1019+ or DS1520+

24 minutes ago, Plex4Me said:

well well well...

image.thumb.png.9799b8a44576cceb02f73139192c4bea.png

using the above recommendations I am presented with this now :)

Thank you so much for your assistance. From here I guess I have 2 questions/realisations:

1. If i want to run the default modern loaders I will need at least 4gb RAM?

2. If and when I upgrade the RAM and test that I can use the default modern loaders, given my NAS is a 5-Bay, should I be opting for a model with 5 bays by default EG, DS1019+ or DS1520+

It seems to me that the reason why the FRIEND kernel cannot support older CPUs is bigger than the RAM capacity issue.
In the case of HP N36L/N40L/N54L, old AMD CPUs cannot be supported by the FRIEND kernel, so they can only be used with JOT.

If you have spare RAM and can upgrade, it's worth a try.
No additional purchases are recommended for this trial.
As mentioned above, this is because it cannot be 100% guaranteed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

It seems to me that the reason why the FRIEND kernel cannot support older CPUs is bigger than the RAM capacity issue.
In the case of HP N36L/N40L/N54L, old AMD CPUs cannot be supported by the FRIEND kernel, so they can only be used with JOT.

If you have spare RAM and can upgrade, it's worth a try.
No additional purchases are recommended for this trial.
As mentioned above, this is because it cannot be 100% guaranteed.

Thank you so much, I am logged in and fully operational. I will see if I can get my hand on some older RAM I did a clean out not too long ago on anything older than DDR3/4.

Might be something on marketplace I can get my hands on to test.

Now to try test this on an even older Netgear RND4000 NV2+ 🤣

• Like 1

hi all 

i have a HP N40L server that has been running Jun DSM 6.2.3-25426 update 3 DS3615xs for around a year with no problems

cpu is an intel 1.5 Ghz 2 core with 8 gig ram

i curranty have 3 x 8tb, 1 x 4tb , and 2 x 3tb hard drives running in raid 5

as i have just become aware if i change to shr raid i will get 26tb usable instead of the 15th i curranty have (cant afford to replace the drives at the min)

so i am in the process of backing up all the information on there then i am going to break the raid to start again

now finally to my question dose any one know if red pill will work on the N40L it has an intel nic installed as the jun loader had a problem with the onboard nic

and is it worth updating if it can be done its used mostly for tv shows to be streamed to a kodi box  

I had it running on the N54L (standard with 1000e 4-port network card and 4gb ram), but had to use the arc installer. the first time I got an itch to update to the 7.2 update 2 and have tried again and it failed. I have had success with the redpill tinycore on my other gen8 model, so I thought I'd try this again. After building it, I get most of the way after a reboot and I'm presented with 'booting the kernal.' and then a flashing curser. This doesn't make it visible to the find Synology app. Any clues as to what might be happening Peter?

13 minutes ago, blue max said:

I had it running on the N54L (standard with 1000e 4-port network card and 4gb ram), but had to use the arc installer. the first time I got an itch to update to the 7.2 update 2 and have tried again and it failed. I have had success with the redpill tinycore on my other gen8 model, so I thought I'd try this again. After building it, I get most of the way after a reboot and I'm presented with 'booting the kernal.' and then a flashing curser. This doesn't make it visible to the find Synology app. Any clues as to what might be happening Peter?

Currently you are using JOT, not FRIEND (existing kernel method, not FRIEND)
7.2-64570 U1, Can I assume it is in use?
7.2-64570 U1 Was operating normally?

My M SHELL supports POSTUPDATE, which is a little more convenient than POCOPICO's TCRP.
After installing U2's pat file, try using the 3rd TinyCore PostUpdate (RamDIsk Update) in the menu below.
Don't be surprised if you see FRIEND's kernel for a while.
After the U2 auto patch again, it automatically returns to JOT.

2023-07-279_54_46.thumb.png.df06db5312e4be332b0ac19c2940227e.png

There are two types of TCRP. Do you know the M-SHELL for TCRP I developed?
Which loader are you using?
I will give you instructions based on your answer.

Edited by Peter Suh

Thank you so much for trying to help me Peter, but a lot of this goes over my head.

Let me try....

Originally, I tried to use this tinycore-redpill.v0.9.4.3-2.m-shell.img.gz, but had the problem I posted about above. I was able to get it functioning after several attempts (not sure what I was doing differently), with arc-23.7.33.img.zip

Then I was able to go ahead and load the Synology pat file and it worked.

I also have a gen 8 microserver and that seemed to work with your loader (the first one I mentioned). So I would like to use yours on the gen 7, so I only have the one loader to work with. 

I think I'm using the M-Shell (the one with the four windows?). I only interact with the top left one. I go through and build the loader and then when it reboots, it gets as far as 

'booting the kernal.' and then a flashing curser. I've tried numerous times, but it never gets any further than that. It seems it's not completing, so I can't get to load the DSM onto it. Is that any clearer?

6 hours ago, blue max said:

Thank you so much for trying to help me Peter, but a lot of this goes over my head.

Let me try....

Originally, I tried to use this tinycore-redpill.v0.9.4.3-2.m-shell.img.gz, but had the problem I posted about above. I was able to get it functioning after several attempts (not sure what I was doing differently), with arc-23.7.33.img.zip

Then I was able to go ahead and load the Synology pat file and it worked.

I also have a gen 8 microserver and that seemed to work with your loader (the first one I mentioned). So I would like to use yours on the gen 7, so I only have the one loader to work with. 

I think I'm using the M-Shell (the one with the four windows?). I only interact with the top left one. I go through and build the loader and then when it reboots, it gets as far as 

'booting the kernal.' and then a flashing curser. I've tried numerous times, but it never gets any further than that. It seems it's not completing, so I can't get to load the DSM onto it. Is that any clearer?

Did you disable C1E in Bios?

Some help please i am following the steps on the first page i have logged in successfully with putty but after going through the first few commands the json file dose not seam to exist

PuTTY 0.78 running on windows 11 i am trying to install Redpill / XPEnology on a HP N40L

Screenshot 2023-07-28 150519.png

Edited by Lestat

a little more info i am using the tinycore-repill v 0.9.4.3-2m on the N40L i have make a boot for both the 7.1.1-42962 and 7.2 64570

booth boot and i can get to the install DSM screen but i get the same result on both it gets to 57/58% of the install and fails 

i have C1E turned off in the bios 

the server is running 8gig of ram

can any one give me some things to try and at this point i am at a loss on what to do next 

one thing to note on the monitor connected to the server it says TCRP JOT Version 0.9.4.3-1 is this correct should in not be -2?

Edited by Lestat

1 hour ago, Lestat said:

a little more info i am using the tinycore-repill v 0.9.4.3-2m on the N40L i have make a boot for both the 7.1.1-42962 and 7.2 64570

booth boot and i can get to the install DSM screen but i get the same result on both it gets to 57/58% of the install and fails 

i have C1E turned off in the bios 

the server is running 8gig of ram

can any one give me some things to try and at this point i am at a loss on what to do next 

one thing to note on the monitor connected to the server it says TCRP JOT Version 0.9.4.3-1 is this correct should in not be -2?

Are you using a USB stick as a bootloader?

It is known that the occurrence of file corruption messages at 55 to 58% depends on the speed and quality of the USB memory.

The above phenomenon is related to the case where the three FAT partitions in the bootloader of the USB stick cannot be mounted normally to the Linux kernel and fails.

This part is one of the most difficult to solve because the exact cause is still unknown in REDPILL.

What is recommended is to operate the USB memory at high speed in accordance with the standard of 3.0 or higher. Does N40L support USB 3.0?

unfortunately its usb 2.0 only and i am using scandisk ultra fit 32gb says speed up to 130mb read on the packet 

the old jun loader still works and lets me get back into an old version of synology may have to fall back to that  

Edited by Lestat

3 hours ago, Lestat said:

I have an old 250gig ssd 

If I make that my boot drive with redpill will I have a better chance of this working? at work now so can't try it until tomorrow

ARPL also has a function corresponding to TCRP JOT. Remember “Boot direct”. Try this first. A sata boot instead of usb won't do you any favors either. I don't know why, but there is a high probability of encountering a bug that unconditionally crashes the mount.

IMG_6388.thumb.png.49041ec8d85ba8020d042f5824b0da48.png

Edited by Peter Suh

3 hours ago, Lestat said:

I have an old 250gig ssd 

If I make that my boot drive with redpill will I have a better chance of this working? at work now so can't try it until tomorrow

I found a review of a successful user on the N40L. DS3615xs was excluded and DS3622xs+ was tried,

BIOS setting (C1E disable, IDE Combined mode disable, AHCI).