XPEnology Community

DS412+ USB flash module pinout

wool

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I have a question I've upgraded my old 412+ which was still running 5.2 to 6.2.4 following the steps on the synology website. However downloading the 6.2.4 DSM file from the synology website (DSM 6.2.4) immediately brought it to 6.2.4 Update 7 (I guess synology updated the main version to include this patch level). Now I would like to upgrade using the 713+ steps to 7.1.x described in this topic but they mention a maximum of 6.2.4 Update 5. Should I downgrade it somehow back to 6.1 or a lower 6.2.4 version for the steps to work?

Or can I also do the steps while still being on 6.2.4 Update 7?

16 hours ago, JD2k3 said:

Hey all, I have a question I've upgraded my old 412+ which was still running 5.2 to 6.2.4 following the steps on the synology website. However downloading the 6.2.4 DSM file from the synology website (DSM 6.2.4) immediately brought it to 6.2.4 Update 7 (I guess synology updated the main version to include this patch level). Now I would like to upgrade using the 713+ steps to 7.1.x described in this topic but they mention a maximum of 6.2.4 Update 5. Should I downgrade it somehow back to 6.1 or a lower 6.2.4 version for the steps to work?

In order for it to work, based on the experience here, it shouldn't be better than 6.2.4 Update 5.
So downgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 12:02 AM, JD2k3 said:

It doesn't matter, because if you prepare /dev/synoboot2 to 713+  your installed DSM thinks you placed the HDDs in a new DS713+.

Just SSH after upgrade to your NAS and enter:

sudo sed -i 's/maxdisks="2"/maxdisks="4"/' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

sudo sed -i 's/internalportcfg="0x3"/internalportcfg="0xf"/' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

and reboot to enable all 4 bays

I found a cheap and easy way to get a f400-Stick

There are plenty usable sticks, which are cheap or free giveaways 

Just download "chipgenius", to identify the controller of your old USB-sticks.

Find one with a "Alcor Micro" controller (3 of 5 of my sticks had this controller)

google for: "Alcor Change PIDVID Rework 1.0.0.2" and download this old 32-bit executable.

You can change very easy VID and PID of Alcor sticks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 9:27 PM, mc4ren said:

Well some developments... I wouldn't say really advances.

I flashed a USB with that image, but there was no change at all.

So I took strong decisions. I used a DC power supply and I could see that there was some sort of short circuit in the board, because when I turned it on, the power supply would begin making noises. So I increased the voltage up to some 18V and a capacitor exploded. The funny thing is that without that capacitor, at least the unit is showing some kind of life. The blue ligth is ON for about 5 seconds, then it shuts down. But there is no HDD lights, no fan turning.

Strange thing is that from time to time, the unit turns on by itself and even the fans turn on, the blue light flashes for about 5 times and the everything shuts down again.

Close to the burnt capacitor there is a similar circuit portion, which has a 10 uF capacitor (I took it off, and measured it).

I had some SMD capacitors, and I have soldered a 10 uF capacitor in the place of the burnt one. The result is that there is some short circuit again.

So clearly there is a short circuit, but my skills are not good enough to find it.

IMG_20200904_192239.jpg

IMG_20200904_192230.jpg

I know its an old post but you can try to measure the mosfets on the pcb.

The mosfets are the parts with the "u" in front. So your U34 is one mosfet. There are a couple of them.

Ive just got my hand on a defect 214play with two exploding mosfets.

After a while i was able to find spare parts with the same technical specifications.

I hope i will have enough time to get the 214play repaired (at least i hope so) when the parts arriving.

Most of the non-working boxes (dont power up) have issues with the mosfets

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2023 at 3:41 PM, 7up_ said:

Synology USB DOM image cloned to a generic USB DOM, with female socket swapped to match, fits and boots up normally. Special thanks to DSfuchs.

Out of curiosity, why did you have to swap the female sockets? Aren't those standard and identical? Thanks!

Edited by Helloguys

48 minutes ago, Helloguys said:

Out of curiosity, why did you have to swap the female sockets? Aren't those standard and identical? Thanks!

Nothing is standard with Synology. This is completely proprietary crap.

It is intended as a replacement in the place of the original. But a memory plugged into one of the external USB ports, try the front first, also works.

Edited by DSfuchs

• 4 weeks later...
В 19.04.2023 в 09:27, SSS_Viva сказал:

I have not yet seen in any of the bootloaders that the search for the necessary files would occur by VID PID, either the UUID of the partition is registered in the config, or, as in this case, HD0, which will be the USB connector for the USB DOM.  In this case, there are two options, either to change the config to boot by UUID, or to solder a regular USB connector to the USB DOM connector.

I have the same config in SynoBootLoader.conf: ...root (hd0,0)...

Everything loads from the flash drive with VIP/PID F400/F400 and works correctly. But during a soft reboot, the NAS does not want to boot again (it blinks blue again). But if i turn it off physically and boot up again, everything loads correctly. I assume that i need to change the configuration of the GRUB loader (SynoBootLoader.conf) to reboot correctly.

Can anyone tell me what to change?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, aladdinx9 said:

I have the same config in SynoBootLoader.conf: ...root (hd0,0)...

Everything loads from the flash drive with VIP/PID F400/F400 and works correctly. But during a soft reboot, the NAS does not want to boot again (it blinks blue again). But if i turn it off physically and boot up again, everything loads correctly. I assume that i need to change the configuration of the GRUB loader (SynoBootLoader.conf) to reboot correctly.

Can anyone tell me what to change?

Thanks in advance.

The original DOM must be removed.

2 часа назад, DSfuchs сказал:

The original DOM must be removed.

Of course it's removed.

I think changing the bootloader is my last option because I also tried:

1. Connecting the OTG cable to the USB DOM connector directly and use the same USB stick - does not boot.

2. The original USB DOM in Windows is detected as USB 2.0, but in Synology - it does not boot.

It seems to me that my USB DOM connector on the motherboard is faulty.

I will still try to connect to the terminal and check the booting.

Edited by aladdinx9

45 minutes ago, aladdinx9 said:

Of course it's removed.

I think changing the bootloader is my last option because I also tried:

1. Connecting the OTG cable to the USB DOM connector directly and use the same USB stick - does not boot.

2. The original USB DOM in Windows is detected as USB 2.0, but in Synology - it does not boot.

It seems to me that my USB DOM connector on the motherboard is faulty.

I will still try to connect to the terminal and check the booting.

If you get the original DOM to work via the front USB-socket, the USB port on the motherboard is probably defective.

Note that the boot time can be up to 5 minutes.

Edited by DSfuchs

Le 02/11/2023 à 13:34, stranGE a dit :

There are plenty usable sticks, which are cheap or free giveaways 

Just download "chipgenius", to identify the controller of your old USB-sticks.

Find one with a "Alcor Micro" controller (3 of 5 of my sticks had this controller)

google for: "Alcor Change PIDVID Rework 1.0.0.2" and download this old 32-bit executable.

You can change very easy VID and PID of Alcor sticks.

Hey, I spent several hours to get the my alcor drives recognized by the program... I downloaded countless others to no avail... I just can't edit the PID / VID.

would you have some tutorial handy to proceed with this ?

thanks a lot

6 hours ago, Optiplex_Fan said:

Hey, I spent several hours to get the my alcor drives recognized by the program... I downloaded countless others to no avail... I just can't edit the PID / VID.

would you have some tutorial handy to proceed with this ?

thanks a lot

Try another model.

I got a dozen flash drives: Alcor, Phison, USBest, Chipsbank, Appotech... got more than a dozen different programs, none of them sees any of the drives that I connect.. I managed to dump my DOM, now I need to inject it in some USB key, alas I just can't reprogram the PID VID... :-(

My USBest key was damaged, I downloaded a reviving tool, which worked. Then I used the tool that Whool linked in his post, and finally was able to give this key the proper attributes.

I swapped the power Supply for the one in my DX510 ... added a new battery, none of that would work, obviously, until I found this thread about the DOM.

My DS1513+ has now booted from this drive. AMAZING !!

I wonder if it's worth ordering a new DOM, of just sticking with USB keys...

But now, given that it boots from the key, maybe I can make it believe that it is running on a DS1515+ and get the next DSM upgrades ?

Bw2fpqL.jpeg

Edited by Optiplex_Fan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Optiplex_Fan said:

I got a dozen flash drives: Alcor, Phison, USBest, Chipsbank, Appotech... got more than a dozen different programs, none of them sees any of the drives that I connect.. I managed to dump my DOM, now I need to inject it in some USB key, alas I just can't reprogram the PID VID... :-(

My USBest key was damaged, I downloaded a reviving tool, which worked. Then I used the tool that Whool linked in his post, and finally was able to give this key the proper attributes.

I swapped the power Supply for the one in my DX510 ... added a new battery, none of that would work, obviously, until I found this thread about the DOM.

My DS1513+ has now booted from this drive. AMAZING !!

I wonder if it's worth ordering a new DOM, of just sticking with USB keys...

But now, given that it boots from the key, maybe I can make it believe that it is running on a DS1515+ and get the next DSM upgrades ?

Bw2fpqL.jpeg

No, you can only stay within the Intel Cedarview CPU architecture.

The models are:
DS713+
DS412+
DS1513+
DS1512+
DS1813+
DS1812+
DS2413+
RS814(RP)+
RS2414(RP)+

So DSM 7.1 is the latest you can get.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 7:19 PM, DSfuchs said:

Happy Modding, my DS412+ is now prepared as RS814+ for DSM 8

Thanks for your pinout!

Dear DSfuchs,

I'm finishing this thread with high interest and I will do the same upgrade as you i.e. upgrading DS412+ to RS814+ the latest we can I guess.

However, information are split through the whole thread and it gets confusing what minimal path to follow up in order to achieve the goal (Upgrade RS814+).

Would it be possible to gather all info in a concise but yet clear Tutorial please ? I will try to contribute as best I can for the tutorial.

Thank you in advance !

1 hour ago, yakup said:

Dear DSfuchs,

I'm finishing this thread with high interest and I will do the same upgrade as you i.e. upgrading DS412+ to RS814+ the latest we can I guess.

However, information are split through the whole thread and it gets confusing what minimal path to follow up in order to achieve the goal (Upgrade RS814+).

Would it be possible to gather all info in a concise but yet clear Tutorial please ? I will try to contribute as best I can for the tutorial.

Thank you in advance !

Note #76 and complete the points under #90.

#76 can also be done (between 14. and 15.), thanks to @stranGE , with these commands and without editing:

sudo sed -i 's/maxdisks="2"/maxdisks="4"/' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

sudo sed -i 's/internalportcfg="0x3"/internalportcfg="0xf"/' /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

There is no advantage to switching to the RackStation. On the contrary, your "vender" file can continue to be used for the DS713+ with the serial number and the MAC addresses.

Best regards

Edited by DSfuchs
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the usb pinout!

I have a ds415+ on which I once overwrote the synoboot flash over serial (was a bad idea) and would like to restore the original image. Luckily I've dumped an image with dd before breaking it.

grafik.thumb.png.2d6080848d808cd3fa2ef106537cdff7.pnggrafik.thumb.png.f6f0e34c55f3cfa6f5739e08372f5a28.png

I assume the connector is the same as the ds412, and I'm trying to connect the 4 pins as shown in your pinout to my computers usb2 header, but it keeps failing to recognize the device. Does the AVSS +5V need to be connected to something? dmesg keep telling the device is not responding.

[ 2959.757039] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
[ 2960.164967] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2960.401067] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2960.637034] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[ 2960.765066] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2962.745013] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
[ 2962.873039] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2963.109017] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2963.349005] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 10 using xhci_hcd
[ 2963.477021] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2963.713024] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2963.821082] usb usb1-port8: attempt power cycle
[ 2964.232946] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 11 using xhci_hcd
[ 2964.233492] usb 1-8: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 2964.441494] usb 1-8: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 2964.648965] usb 1-8: device not accepting address 11, error -71
[ 2964.780979] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 12 using xhci_hcd
[ 2964.781494] usb 1-8: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 2964.989588] usb 1-8: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 2965.196935] usb 1-8: device not accepting address 12, error -71
[ 2965.196973] usb usb1-port8: unable to enumerate USB device

On the other hand I'm trying to find an usb stick with modifiable PID/VID as a backup plan, but can't find an ADATA stick over here. Are there other known models to have the phison or other configurable chip in it?

Thanks

On 3/9/2024 at 3:05 PM, Sears said:

Thank you for the usb pinout!

I have a ds415+ on which I once overwrote the synoboot flash over serial (was a bad idea) and would like to restore the original image. Luckily I've dumped an image with dd before breaking it.

grafik.thumb.png.2d6080848d808cd3fa2ef106537cdff7.pnggrafik.thumb.png.f6f0e34c55f3cfa6f5739e08372f5a28.png

I assume the connector is the same as the ds412, and I'm trying to connect the 4 pins as shown in your pinout to my computers usb2 header, but it keeps failing to recognize the device. Does the AVSS +5V need to be connected to something? dmesg keep telling the device is not responding.

[ 2959.757039] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
[ 2960.164967] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2960.401067] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2960.637034] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[ 2960.765066] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2962.745013] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
[ 2962.873039] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2963.109017] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2963.349005] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 10 using xhci_hcd
[ 2963.477021] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2963.713024] usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2963.821082] usb usb1-port8: attempt power cycle
[ 2964.232946] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 11 using xhci_hcd
[ 2964.233492] usb 1-8: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 2964.441494] usb 1-8: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 2964.648965] usb 1-8: device not accepting address 11, error -71
[ 2964.780979] usb 1-8: new low-speed USB device number 12 using xhci_hcd
[ 2964.781494] usb 1-8: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 2964.989588] usb 1-8: Device not responding to setup address.
[ 2965.196935] usb 1-8: device not accepting address 12, error -71
[ 2965.196973] usb usb1-port8: unable to enumerate USB device

On the other hand I'm trying to find an usb stick with modifiable PID/VID as a backup plan, but can't find an ADATA stick over here. Are there other known models to have the phison or other configurable chip in it?

Thanks

Just take the one described in #229.

On 4/19/2023 at 4:01 PM, Lucky1234 said:

I admit that I don't want to wait until DOM is delivered to me from China, it could easily be a month. I ordered this exact DOM as it was listed in the posts here, but I thought it had a UT165 chip, but it doesn't. So I'm curious if it's possible to change the PID/VID or if Synology will accept it. I'd better start looking for the C802 USB flash drive, it's no longer sold here, so I'll have to post an ad.

B1C8B75C-4AB9-48F9-946F-5B086351816A.jpeg

Hi Lucky1234,

did you come up with a solution for your DOM here?
I'm hoping to persuade a DS1812+ that it's actually an 1813+ but have stumbled at the first hurdle - getting one of these DOMs to the correct VID/PID.

My DOM appears identical to your photo - Chipgenius identifies it as a UNIGEN PHB20000IS1-ATB but I'm unable to get any of the Phison utilities to recognise it so far, despite a few hours of trawling around USBDev.ru and downloading many revisions of tools.

7 hours ago, DSfuchs said:

You can use any USB stick if you have the software tool from the manufacturer to change the VID/PID. I have a drawer full of them.

That's great. I went through my collection of sticks and found the downside to buying premium Sandisk ones is the lack of generic controllers according to ChipGenius.
Hence why I thought it's be easier (and neater) to just order a DOM. Seems otherwise.
If you've got a suggestion for something currently available I can go and order from Amazon that'd be appreciated.

On the upside, I tried flashing the DD IMG from the stock DOM with Rufus. This partition layout seems promising yes?

DD_Image_Rufus.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all ! And thank you for this post, intended to fight obsolescence ;)

I have a DS412+. I've managed to transition it to DS713 through ssh, but got stuck at the update to 7.0.1, and I believed it was because I was in 6.2.4.95556 update 7. So I followed another tutorial to downgrade it, wich told me to delete the etc.defaults/VERSION file by rm command in ssh. Once rebooted I could start the process of installing a pat file, but it crashed, and after the next reboot, nothing, blue blink of death. So I then tried everything, mounting the USBDOM to my computer (which works perfectly in usb2), restored it file by file, then the entire .img - I made a backup earlier), nothing. Even tried to connect to the serial pins with a special TTL adapter, nothing, no output from terminal or putty. Tried with new disks, zero disks, reset button, every combo possible...

So my questions are : is there a way to restore this VERSION file ? And... Is it time to buy a new one ?

Thank you very much !

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, nitroshady said:

Hi all ! And thank you for this post, intended to fight obsolescence ;)

I have a DS412+. I've managed to transition it to DS713 through ssh, but got stuck at the update to 7.0.1, and I believed it was because I was in 6.2.4.95556 update 7. So I followed another tutorial to downgrade it, wich told me to delete the etc.defaults/VERSION file by rm command in ssh. Once rebooted I could start the process of installing a pat file, but it crashed, and after the next reboot, nothing, blue blink of death. So I then tried everything, mounting the USBDOM to my computer (which works perfectly in usb2), restored it file by file, then the entire .img - I made a backup earlier), nothing. Even tried to connect to the serial pins with a special TTL adapter, nothing, no output from terminal or putty. Tried with new disks, zero disks, reset button, every combo possible...

So my questions are : is there a way to restore this VERSION file ? And... Is it time to buy a new one ?

Thank you very much !

Simply open the PAT from the manufacturer corresponding to the model, as seen in #35, with 7zip. Then also hda1.tgz. Extract the hda1 harddrive-image from there. Reopen the unpacked file new with 7zip. Below the /etc.defaults directory, you will find the VERSION file.

Edited by DSfuchs