XPEnology Community

DS412+ USB flash module pinout

wool

I was able to get my DS412+ running DSM 6 to upgrade as a DS713+ running DSM 7.1.  Thanks for the assistance.

Is there a way to upgrade my DS412+/DS713+ to RS814+?  Since the official DS713+ has two disk drives when rebooting my synology it asks me to repair the system partition on drives 3 & 4 each time.  It only takes a second to resolve but I think the RS814+ version would resolve that.

I was able to get the DS412+ running as an RS814+ on the DSM 7.0.1 version but it fails when upgrading to DSM 7.1.x.  I assume this has to do with the infamous vender file needing to be "vender_format_version=2".  I need "vender_format_version=2" listed in the grub.cfg in various posts but it's unclear if I need to convert my current vender file to a version 2 vender and how to do that.

14 minutes ago, SuperBus22 said:

I was able to get my DS412+ running DSM 6 to upgrade as a DS713+ running DSM 7.1.  Thanks for the assistance.

Is there a way to upgrade my DS412+/DS713+ to RS814+?  Since the official DS713+ has two disk drives when rebooting my synology it asks me to repair the system partition on drives 3 & 4 each time.  It only takes a second to resolve but I think the RS814+ version would resolve that.

I was able to get the DS412+ running as an RS814+ on the DSM 7.0.1 version but it fails when upgrading to DSM 7.1.x.  I assume this has to do with the infamous vender file needing to be "vender_format_version=2".  I need "vender_format_version=2" listed in the grub.cfg in various posts but it's unclear if I need to convert my current vender file to a version 2 vender and how to do that.

Did you perhaps forget #76 as well?

1 minute ago, DSfuchs said:

Yes, we could build it based on the 918+. Do you also need the hardware with VID/PID and vender?
Newer models from 2018 tend to break down. It's just funny that my 2016s are already running for 3.5 times the warranty period.

My DS412+ has been very dependable over the last 10 years.  I ran into a certificate limitation with DSM 6.5 that was available in DSM 7 (ECC certificates) and that is what started the journey to DSM 7 on my DS412+.  I'm trying to squeeze a little more life out of it.

3 minutes ago, DSfuchs said:

You have to copy the vender from a >15series, enter your license data and just recalculate the checksums.

The only way I have been able to see the vender file is from mounting the 2nd boot partition of the DOM.  Is there a way to extract the vender file directly from a PAT file? 

The vender file on my DS412+ appears encrypted.

I don't see a checksum (grub_cksum.syno or grub_cksum.syno) that reference the vender file.

2 minutes ago, DSfuchs said:

Did you perhaps forget #76 as well?

I did remember #76, however when I upgraded from DSM 7.0 to DSM 7.1 I had to reenter those values manually as they did not persist.  I believe moving to a 4 or 5 disk synology platform would alleviate that issue.

3 minutes ago, SuperBus22 said:

Meine DS412+ war in den letzten 10 Jahren sehr zuverlässig. Ich bin mit DSM 6.5 auf eine Zertifikatseinschränkung gestoßen, die in DSM 7 (ECC-Zertifikate) verfügbar war, und damit begann die Reise zu DSM 7 auf meiner DS412+. Ich versuche, ein bisschen mehr Leben daraus zu quetschen.

Die einzige Möglichkeit, die Vender-Datei zu sehen, besteht darin, die zweite Boot-Partition des DOM zu mounten. Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, die Vender-Datei direkt aus einer PAT-Datei zu extrahieren? 

Die Vender-Datei auf meinem DS412+ erscheint verschlüsselt.

Ich sehe keine Prüfsumme (grub_cksum.syno oder grub_cksum.syno), die auf die Vender-Datei verweist.

Ich erinnerte mich an Nr. 76, aber als ich von DSM 7.0 auf DSM 7.1 aktualisierte, musste ich diese Werte manuell neu eingeben, da sie nicht bestehen blieben. Ich glaube, der Wechsel zu einer Synology-Plattform mit 4 oder 5 Festplatten würde dieses Problem lösen.

No, all assumptions are wrong.

I found information that the NAS can boot from any external device, it is completely optional to edit the VID PID, it is enough to make a dd-copy of the boot partition (/dev/synoboot1), during boot, the UUID of the partition and the bootloader itself are checked.

6 minutes ago, SSS_Viva said:

I found information that the NAS can boot from any external device, it is completely optional to edit the VID PID, it is enough to make a dd-copy of the boot partition (/dev/synoboot1), during boot, the UUID of the partition and the bootloader itself are checked.

The boot process must be initiated from hardware with VID/PID 0xf400/0xf400.

Seems interesting, but it isn't.
I stopped reading after a few lines. We're not talking about a different operating system. He also confirms that the hardware is locked with 0xf400/oxf400. Of course, it can be any storage hardware that reports like this.
I even say it only works from the front USB socket.

• Like 1

I also got Xpenology running fine on a DS710+ as a DS3615+. To this is to be said:
- the 4GB RAM module is very expensive
- 1c/1t performance is very limited
- an additional hardware trick was necessary, another USB device had to be plugged into one of the rear sockets at the same time. For me it was a keyboard transmitter.

Dealing with the DS218+ with 2c/2t is a waste of time. You definitely get 4c/4t hardware like DS716+II for 75 mice.

3 hours ago, SuperBus22 said:

Your conversion to DS713+ should preferably be done with a spare drive installed.  After you have successfully made it to DSM 7.x that updates normally, make required edits to support 4 drives and then migrate your array. 

There is no functional difference  running as DS713+ vs RS814+ other than a graphical image in storage manager.   Maybe even that could be hacked?  ;)

If you don't have vender file from a newer model, just run as DS713+ and spend time on more important things.

Edited by 7up_
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 7up_ said:

Your conversion to DS713+ should preferably be done with a spare drive installed.  After you have successfully made it to DSM 7.x that updates normally, make required edits to support 4 drives and then migrate your array. 

There is no functional difference  running as DS713+ vs RS814+ other than a graphical image in storage manager.   Maybe even that could be hacked?  ;)

If you don't have vender file from a newer model, just run as DS713+ and spend time on more important things.

Should you not be familiar with migrating RAID arrays:

After the model change under DSM6 on the replacement drive, I recommend removing it and performing the migration and in a 2nd step the OS upgrade as described/intended by the manufacturer.

To do this, you must first start with only one hard disk leftmost, install the DSM6-pat of the new model, make the changes regarding the drives and then restart with all the drives to complete the array. Then only the system partition needs to be synchronized. Now Upgrade to DSM7 by the gui.

Edited by DSfuchs
  • Like 1

В 05.04.2023 в 16:43, DSfuchs сказал:

Seems interesting, but it isn't.
I stopped reading after a few lines. We're not talking about a different operating system. He also confirms that the hardware is locked with 0xf400/oxf400. Of course, it can be any storage hardware that reports like this.
I even say it only works from the front USB socket.

I asked a friend to make a copy of the internal USB DOM, made a copy of the HDD Clone, deployed it to a regular USB flash without changing the VID PID, connected via the front USB, as a result my NAS booted up, but it appears as 918+. Now we need to fix this image to get 218+.

photo_2023-04-06_22-52-53.jpg

В 05.04.2023 в 16:54, DSfuchs сказал:

I also got Xpenology running fine on a DS710+ as a DS3615+. To this is to be said:
- the 4GB RAM module is very expensive
- 1c/1t performance is very limited
- an additional hardware trick was necessary, another USB device had to be plugged into one of the rear sockets at the same time. For me it was a keyboard transmitter.

Dealing with the DS218+ with 2c/2t is a waste of time. You definitely get 4c/4t hardware like DS716+II for 75 mice.

In 218+, you can install 16GB of memory, the approximate cost is $ 40, I think it's not that expensive. When I restore this NAS, I may try to change SR2Z8 to SR2Z9 as a result it will be 4c / 4t.

It seems to be, that the original Flash is working on it's 1st partition further on. Than it is posssible that the boot process finds the 2nd on your memory.

To recover the 2nd partition, take the Sone.9 file from the DS918+ and the other files out of the downloaded pat.

If you need detailed information about the image of the DS218+, I can look at mine, since I have one now.

DS218+2nd.JPG

Edited by DSfuchs