XPEnology Community

DS412+ USB flash module pinout

wool

Notice again for all those who are looking for help with this for a repair or a model upgrade.
The individual information here in the thread cannot be mixed or several procedures can be carried out at the same time. They are all different requirements and goals. Therefore, it must be clearly written what the status is and what is to be achieved. Otherwise scrap is inevitable in most cases.

On 3/27/2023 at 2:42 PM, exibocinemaz said:

Guys here I am again. I have tried some of the steps you suggested and will try to update you step by step. 

DSfuchs:
0. I was finally able to access the DOM and view the files. I had to do this with Ubuntu because Windows would not allow me to see the files inside. In the 16 mb partition I have 5 files and 1 EFI/boot folder with 3 files inside; in the other partition I have 7 files including the famous vender file. 

IMG_1892.thumb.jpeg.08e94047792891cf41da77fab173954a.jpeg

1. I haven't tried to bake everything yet, but I'm thinking about it ahahah.
2. i tried to build a UT163 flash drive with pid/vid 0400 and giving as a base the DOM: backup didn't work. The synology keeps blinking for more than 10 minutes and doesn't give any sign of life.
3. i tried your img but equally failed. I must admit that I tried without changing any files because I could not open/download the contents of the DOM. now that I succeeded I will try again.
4. i would really like to have you here beside me but i am holding back from doing so, so i will try to update you step by step.

7up_:
I tried the mode you recommended but unfortunately windows will not allow me to access either the DOM or the usb once flashed with HDDRaw backup. With Ubuntu I was at least able to access and download data from the DOM (which is already a big step forward from before).

As I said I will try to update you step by step. What I will do now is to create yet another backup of the DOM but on Ubuntu, flash the USB with DSfuchs' IMG and replace the files as he described. If you have any other ideas I am here!

Thanks again to everyone for the support you are giving me!

A second NAS also has a Linux that can be used to do it.
For Windows there are also drivers for the file system ext2 and btrfs.

I may have created some scrap which is my fault.

I created a backup of the DOM using 'dd if=/dev/sda of=~/DS412.img' before starting and also have a backup of the DSM configuration.

I also mounted /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 and copied the files to an alternate location for backup.

The DS412+ was working until I edited the /etc.defaults/VERSION from

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
major="6"
minor="2"
micro="4"
productversion="6.2.4"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="25556"
smallfixnumber="6"
nano="0"
base="25556"
builddate="2022/05/13"
buildtime="14:27:16"

to

majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.2"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="24922"
smallfixnumber="4"
builddate="2020/12/04"
buildtime="21:03:19"

and then shutdown the NAS in an attempt to downgrade to smallfix number 5 on the same build.  The plan was to use Step 4 and trick the synology into allowing me to downgrade.

It has not worked since.

I restored the DS412.img back to the DOM but it boots for a few minutes, beeps, and the status light flashes yellow.

I was able to flash a USB drive and set F400 as the PID and UID, then restored the DS412.img to the USB drive, removed the DOM, which also boots for a few minutes, beeps, and the status light flashes yellow.

I attempted a Mode 2 reset but I was unable to get the three beeps mentioned in step 3.

I have additional HDD's SSD's in both 2.5" and 3.5" format for additional steps if needed.  Also a old DS112j is at my disposal that runs DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 5 if that helps.

I am unsure exactly what to do at this point.  I'm surprised restoring the img to the DOM did not work.

Edited by SuperBus22
Wanted to add a piece about the 2nd synology.

5 hours ago, SuperBus22 said:

@DSfuchs  After reading this thread several times it looks like I can convert my DS412+ to appear as a RS814+ and upgrade to DSM 7+.

My DS412+ is running DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 6.

I extracted the checksum.syno, grub_cksum.syno, zImage, and rd.gz from the DSM_RS814+_25556.pat as mentioned in post #35, rebooted the Synology which beeped and started flashing yellow.  I took the flashing yellow light as the attempt did not work.

Next I replicated the same steps using the DSM 7.0.1 version for the RS814+ with the same results.

The previous posts mention a vender file on the 2nd partition which does exist currently on my DS412+ but it's unclear how to get a RS814+ version and modify it with my SN/MAC.

Also there is mention in previous posts of "vender_format_version=2", where and how does that change take place?

@7up_  You mention in post #57 that the current DS412+ image needs to be earlier than 6.2.4-25556 Update 6.  Is it possible to downgrade from 6.2.4-25556 Update 6 to 6.2.4-25556 Update 5?

Also @7up_ you mention in post #66 "1.EFI System.img."  but I do not see that file in the DSM_RS814+_25556.pat?  Am I missing something?

I restored the backup and the DS412+ is working as expected on 6.2.4-25556 Update 6 but I would like to get to DSM 7.

Any help is appreciated.

Everything I learned on the conversion to DS713+ or RS814+ came from DSfuchs.   As he stated, follow post #35 in this thread 

If you don't have a vender 2 file, conversion to DS713+ is one step easier although will require edit to synoinfo.conf to support 4 hard drives.  I would advise starting with conversion to DS713+ and after you figure out or understand the process, then possibly RS814+.    There is no functional difference.

Please disregard my comment about "1.EFI System.img", typing to quickly.  1.EFI System.img is partition on flash module image, not found in .pat.  Open DSM_DS713+_2555.pat or RS814+_25556.pat  and you will see the 4 file needed.

29 minutes ago, SuperBus22 said:

I may have created some scrap which is my fault.

I am unsure exactly what to do at this point.  I'm surprised restoring the img to the DOM did not work.

If you have a valid copy of your USB DOM .img which is flashed it to USB thumb drive with VID/PID = F400, the NAS should boot when the USB DOM module is removed and the thumb drive is inserted into the front USB port.   Try booting up with a single spare drive installed.

Edited by 7up_

5 minutes ago, 7up_ said:

If you have a valid copy of your USB DOM .img which is flashed it to USB thumb drive with VID/PID = F400, the NAS should boot when the USB DOM module is removed and the thumb drive is inserted into the front USB port.   Try booting up with a single spare drive installed.

You are correct.  It does currently boot to the web assistant, and detects the drives and is requesting I install a newer DSM.  I believe at this point I select Reinstallation "Re-install diskstation and keep my data".  Should I manually install the DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update for DS412+ at this point and then try the DS713+ migration using Step #35 and  change values in the /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf file to:
maxdisks="4"
internalportcfg="0xf"

?

Either I'm confused or you seem to be convoluting issues.  Before you attempt any "upgrade" to DSM 7.x, please make sure you are able to bootup normally to DSM 6.2.4-25556.   Don't focus on the update version.   After you are back to normal with a single spare HD installed, then go thru the process for the conversion. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 7up_ said:

Either I'm confused or you seem to be convoluting issues.  Before you attempt any "upgrade" to DSM 7.x, please make sure you are able to bootup normally to DSM 6.2.4-25556.   Don't focus on the update version.   After you are back to normal with a single spare HD installed, then go thru the process for the conversion. 

I am back on 6.2.4-25556 with the original drives, all data and configuration information is intact and available.

Correct Seven,

the model change has nothing to do with the things on the disks!
So no involuntary/voluntary deletion of the DSM programs and package configurations.
Only when the model change is complete are the manufacturer-described OS updates made with the data disks.

• Like 1

Hi DSfuchs & 7up & All,

I would like to convert my 11 years old DS412+ to work with DSM7 and I'm reading this thread with a lot of interest.
Is there any summary of the steps needed ?

I currently understand that the following steps are needed:

1) Make a backup of the current synoboot USB device (this can be done using putty and "dd if=/dev/synoboot of=/synoboot.img")

2) Have a USB key with VID/PID = F400 (or buy a USB DOM)
   This is a challenging part as none of my USB keys (sandisk) can be used to "customize" VID/PID. 
    Do you have any pointer (amazon or other) to a USB key brand with a chipset supporting VID/PID change ?

3) Write the USB key with the previously saved image (synoboot.img)

4) Mount the USB key and replace the 4 files mentioned in step #35  (checksum.syno, grub_cksum.syno, zImage, rd.gz  from DSM_RS814+_25556.pat)

5) Then I need to do something using "vender 2 file with your SN/MACs and chk sums edited in exactly as described by DSfuchs".
     Do you have some precise instructions as I'm totally lost on these steps.

6) Finally, after removing the original USB DOM and plug in the prepared USB key, I should be able to boot DSM7 and get to the migration page

Is the above correct ? Many thanks for your help !

François Pignon

Hello, I've found a shortcut for your situation in the meantime. With 7z you have seen what needs to be done. It is well known that many roads lead to Rome.

Here is the start:
1. Rename the downloaded .pat => .tar
2. Upload the new .tar to the DiskStation's general purpose share.
3. Installation of the synocli-file package from here:
https://packages.synocommunity.com/synocli-file/19/synocli-file.v19.f15047[apollolake-avoton-braswell-broadwell-broadwellnk-broadwellntbap-bromolow-cedarview-denverton-dockerx64-geminilake-grantley-purley- kvmx64-v1000-x86-x86_64%5D.spk
4. Now log into the SSH terminal and switch to root:
sudo -i
5. Then mount the internal flash to /mnt:
cd /dev
mount synoboot2 /mnt
cd /mnt
6. The newly installed package includes the Midnight commander.
Call this with mc on the command line.
7. F7 create a backup directory, let's say it says:
DSM6.412
8. Now switch to the new directory target in the right-hand window of the commander (left-right change with TAB).
9. Back to the left and use F6 to move the four files to the directory on the right.
03/18/2021 07:42 2.007 checksum.syno
03/18/2021 07:42 55 grub_cksum.syno
03/18/2021 07:41 5,859,308 rd.gz
03/18/2021 07:41 2,960,352 zImage
10. Switch right and get the new files:
Change through the directory tree to the .tar and open it with "ENTER".
Copy all four files there to the flash module (/mnt) with F5.
11. Leave mc with F10.
12. back to /root:
cd /root
13. Remove the integration from the flash module:
umount synoboot2
14. Done and reboot with:
reboot
15. Complete the migration of the DiskStation from DS412+ to DS713+ with the manual installation of the .pat (rename .tar => .pat beforehand) in the Synology Assistant.

Good course!

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for your kind and precise response DSfuchs ! I already have ssh access to my DS412+, so I'm not sure why I need to install synocli ? (I can mount /dev/synoboot2 directly from ssh).

From your procedure, I understand that I just need to replace the 4 files by the one from the DS713+ PAT file (https://archive.synology.com/download/Os/DSM/6.2.4-25556) ? Ideally, I would like to test using a USB stick because I'm afraid to brick my DS412+ if I do something wrong (my DS412+ is a production machine :)).

Kind Regards,

François

Edited by pignon

Thanks DSfuchs. In step 5, you are also instructing to mount synoboot2 directly so this could also end with the next boot ?

I think I can avoid installing synocli and use mc in my scenario but I appreciate that you took the time to write a detailed procedure that covers all scenarios! Many thanks !
Indeed many roads lead to Rome :) Still, I would be more confident to use a USB stick rather than directly replacing files on the original USB DOM.

Hello.
In my DS 218+, the internal flash memory stopped working.
Now the NAS is flashing blue.
I want to run it from an external USB flash drive.
With the replacement of VID PID is understandable.
Where can I get an image of the partitions for my NAS, can someone share.
Thank you.