fonix232

Tutorial: DSM 6.x on Proxmox

Disk order with "machine: q35" enabled in Proxmox.    If out that line, the disk will start from 1st box. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 2.43.50 PM.png

Hello, I start under proxmox and I really liked to know how to transfer the img file on the server proxmox storage pve-lvm does not allow the storage of this type of file? Thank you very much for the light bring.

On 2018-02-09 at 8:11 AM, arkilee said:

For those who are interested to be able to power off DSM 6.1.x VM via ACPI and get the shutdown working through Proxmox Virtual Environment,
I have recompiled the button.ko and evdev.ko from the poweroff package of this post in order to get this working on dsm 6.1.x/DS3615xs.

power-off_dsm61x_ds3615xs_x86.tar.gz

Thanks for that.

When I do:

sudo /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S30acpid.sh start

I get:

insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /lib/modules/button.ko: File exists
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /lib/modules/evdev.ko: File exists
start acpid

I copied every files in the archive to its corresponding directory.

What's wrong?

Thanks.

On 2/18/2018 at 11:44 PM, jpbaril said:

Thanks for that.

When I do:

sudo /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S30acpid.sh start

I get:

insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /lib/modules/button.ko: File exists
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /lib/modules/evdev.ko: File exists
start acpid

I copied every files in the archive to its corresponding directory.

What's wrong?

Thanks.

Nothing's wrong, It means that you already have "button" and "evdev" modules already loaded in the kernel.

Maybe your bootloader has it already or you have run "s30acpid.sh start" several times.

Try to reboot your xpenology then try to shut it down with Proxmox VE web interface to see if it works.

57 minutes ago, arkilee said:

Nothing's wrong, It means that you already have "button" and "evdev" modules already loaded in the kernel.

Maybe your bootloader has it already or you have run "s30acpid.sh start" several times.

Try to reboot your xpenology then try to shut it down with Proxmox VE web interface to see if it works.

Yeah it indeed works. I had to restart. I have your synoboot with virtio drivers.
Thanks then.

On 2018-02-09 at 8:11 AM, arkilee said:

For those who are interested to be able to power off DSM 6.1.x VM via ACPI and get the shutdown working through Proxmox Virtual Environment,
I have recompiled the button.ko and evdev.ko from the poweroff package of this post in order to get this working on dsm 6.1.x/DS3615xs.

power-off_dsm61x_ds3615xs_x86.tar.gz

I updated to latest dsm versio some time ago and now I noticed that the power button function is not working anymore.

I also found this thread and simple to install package:

Would that also work instead of manually installing files like in your case?

Thanks.

Hi, 

so i been playing around with DSM and proxmox yesterday and i think it's great, and even considering migrating to it.

After installing a few apps and 2fa, i rebooted, and now all i am getting is: 

Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found.

can someone please assist?

also, can i just passthrough my ext4 hard drive or will i have to migrate all my data?

thanks,Bar1

17 hours ago, Bar1 said:

Hi, 

so i been playing around with DSM and proxmox yesterday and i think it's great, and even considering migrating to it.

After installing a few apps and 2fa, i rebooted, and now all i am getting is: 

Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found.

can someone please assist?

also, can i just passthrough my ext4 hard drive or will i have to migrate all my data?

thanks,Bar1

Ok so i am going to reload, but i am worried it will happen again.

am i not suppose to run updates on it? does 2fa breaks anything?

I reinstalled, used it for a day, and now it's happening again :-(

Had someone success in Installing Juns Loader 1.03 with DSM 6.2? I won't get any IP-Adress, so i think its not compatible - ESXi seems to work.

Works great for me. Here's my config:

args: -device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,multifunction=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa -drive file=/mnt/pve/templates/template/qemu/synoboot-test.qcow2,format=qcow2,if=none,id=drive-usb-disk2,cache=writeback -device usb-storage,bus=usb.0,port=2,drive=drive-usb-disk2,id=usb-disk2,bootindex=1,removable=off -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay -no-hpet -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s3=1 -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s4=1 -realtime mlock=off -machine pc-i440fx-2.9,accel=kvm,usb=off,vmport=off,dump-guest-core=off -cpu kvm64,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi
boot: nc
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 2
cpu: kvm64
memory: 1024
name: test
net0: e1000=A6:F0:EF:B7:91:45,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: l26
sata0: local-lvm:vm-114-disk-1,size=10G
smbios1: uuid=2dce823b-ffd0-44e5-8914-57feab9873a1
sockets: 1
tablet: 0
vcpus: 2
vga: qxl

Posted (edited)

Same issue for me.

I can boot on 1.03 but no ping and cpu is 100% on one core.

Here my config:

args: -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,addr=0x18' -drive 'id=synoboot,file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/synoboot.img,if=none,format=raw' -device 'usb-storage,id=synoboot,drive=synoboot'
bios: ovmf
boot: 4
cores: 4
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-2,size=128K
hostpci0: 00:17.0,pcie=1,rombar=off
ide0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-3,size=32G
machine: q35
memory: 5000
name: test
net0: e1000=8A:1A:5A:9D:44:AA,bridge=vmbr0
net1: e1000=7E:84:C8:B6:04:B4,bridge=vmbr1
onboot: 1
parent: before_upgrade
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=9a115c50-2291-4197-8845-eed8a3b86364

@sashxp do you see anything in common with my config ?

Are you using pci passthrough ?

Edited by guik

Not working for me either. Originally tried my existing config using UEFI. Tried changing to standard BIOS as it seems the loader has UEFI issues, but still no joy.

The image seems to boot up and give the happy hacking screen, but the device can't be found and the resources of the VM don't appear normal.

Hey there,

Followed your steps perfectly, but I get a loop message "No bootable device". Here's a screen.

However, I found a workaround: if I hit F12 and choose the option 4 (boot from USB), I get the message of the GRUB that leads me to the step where I should be able to find the NAS through Synology Assistant, but I don't see it...

Actually, without Proxmox, I booted the server on a USB on which there is that synoboot, and it worked well, so I already upgraded my system from 5.2 to 6.1 that way (so working around Proxmox). I thought therefore it would be easy in a second step to upgrade my 5.2 virtual machine easily, but so far, the result is that I can't access my Synology OS on the usual IP, nor detect it with Synology Assistant...

Question: in the packaged synoboot.img I replaced the MAC1 with the one of the VIRTUAL driver. I also left the VID and PID of the USB I had used, since I don't see how I should use an alternative here. Should I have done that?

Thanks.

2018-08-18_234206.png

On 8/19/2018 at 5:51 AM, Raikoryu said:

Hey there,

Followed your steps perfectly, but I get a loop message "No bootable device". Here's a screen.

However, I found a workaround: if I hit F12 and choose the option 4 (boot from USB), I get the message of the GRUB that leads me to the step where I should be able to find the NAS through Synology Assistant, but I don't see it...

Actually, without Proxmox, I booted the server on a USB on which there is that synoboot, and it worked well, so I already upgraded my system from 5.2 to 6.1 that way (so working around Proxmox). I thought therefore it would be easy in a second step to upgrade my 5.2 virtual machine easily, but so far, the result is that I can't access my Synology OS on the usual IP, nor detect it with Synology Assistant...

Question: in the packaged synoboot.img I replaced the MAC1 with the one of the VIRTUAL driver. I also left the VID and PID of the USB I had used, since I don't see how I should use an alternative here. Should I have done that?

Thanks.

2018-08-18_234206.png

You can use 

qm terminal 100

to monitor the DSM VM serial port to debug any failure.

I also got a "mount failed" as others on Proxmox, but it was successful when using a sata image disk

I guess maybe there are some error in the bootloader for 6.2 (junboot 103b)

Hi

I've successful built test system with proxmox and DS3617 1.3b image. As others here I was forced do use BIOS instead of UEFI and USB3 emulation of synoboot pendrive. DSM  (fresh install) after week of test seems stable and the performance is comparable to DSM 6.1.

One thing stopping me from migration of my production system - lack of virtio drivers in synoboot.

Could someone compile these drivers, please?

I was able to run DSM 6.2 on Proxmox VE 5.2 using this solution 

Here is my config

eIsjb59.png

The only problem I have. Whats wrong with it?

k4TnVav.png

Edited by Hunterok

Hello Guys,

Might someone help me to understand why I can't get more than 1 SCSI disk in my VM?

This is the VM config:

args: -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,addr=0x18' -drive 'id=synoboot,file=/var/lib/vz/xpenology/synoboot-ds3615xs-208.img,if=none,format=raw' -device 'usb-storage,id=synoboot,drive=synoboot'
bios: ovmf
boot: d
cores: 2
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-104-disk-0,size=4M
hotplug: network,usb
memory: 2048
name: Synotest
net0: e1000=42:59:0F:62:F5:2D,bridge=vmbr1
onboot: 1
sata0: local-lvm:vm-104-disk-1,size=32G
sata1: zfs4k:vm-104-disk-1,size=2G
scsi0: zfs64k:vm-104-disk-0,discard=on,size=100G
scsi1: zfs4k:vm-104-disk-0,discard=on,size=1G
scsi2: zfs4k:vm-104-disk-2,size=32G
scsi3: zfs4k:vm-104-disk-3,size=32G
scsi4: zfs4k:vm-104-disk-4,size=32G
scsi5: zfs4k:vm-104-disk-5,size=32G
scsihw: megasas
smbios1: uuid=275869c7-7acd-4c76-9549-4f1a5abb933d

As you can see I attached 2 sata disk and 6 SCSI disks, with megaraid controller. While the VM is able to get all the sata drivers, it can get only the scsi0 disk.

Is there any explaination for this?

Capture.PNG.359dff4f3500c3709ba7676d4207b5c5.PNG