XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

Has anyone encountered the problem of adding XPEnology to AD on WinServer 2019?

I installed WinServer on VMWare Workstation and in a separate XPEnology virtual machine. I created a domain and am trying to add it to AD through the Synology GUI, but at the third stage an error occurs - it was not possible to receive a response from the domain controllers. How to solve this problem?

P.S.
The virtual machines are on the same subnet and ping each other.
I also checked the domain for functionality by adding regular Windows 10 and everything worked fine.
XPEnology has version ~7.1...
DS1621+ build 42962
Used ARPL GUI to install XPEnology

Edited by Graddery

Hi to all!

Today I tried to install DSM on very old PC HP rp5700 (based on Intel Core E6400).

All goes ok until "Boot the loader" point.

I press enter, "Loading DSM kernel" ... "booting" appears ... but Web UI at port 5000 never gets accessible. The host even cannot be pinged.

Too old machine?

arpl-1.1-beta2a.img.zip

Do as shown here.

Edited by tett

11 hours ago, tett said:

Hi to all!

Today I tried to install DSM on very old PC HP rp5700 (based on Intel Core E6400).

All goes ok until "Boot the loader" point.

I press enter, "Loading DSM kernel" ... "booting" appears ... but Web UI at port 5000 never gets accessible. The host even cannot be pinged.

Too old machine?

arpl-1.1-beta2a.img.zip

Do as shown here.

Replace image to ARC loader, choose DS918+, DS3615xs, or DS3617Xs models. 

• Like 1

Rick4

Now ARC loads after build process and it can see hard drive (currently one only).

The problem is Synology Web Assistant does not: "No drives detected".

I tested two models: DS224+ and DS3617Xs.

DS918+ and DS3615xs are not listed when I configured ARC.

ARC loader reports: "Please, insert at least one SATA/SCSI disk for system installation ...".

Checked one disk and two disks. Both disks are ok. I don't have any problems with them.

The point is I successfully run Ubuntu Server on this hardware and it finds all the disks.

Do I need make any changes to ARC configuration?

And by the way in the very beginning of ARC configuration process there is a question: "Do you need Syno Services"? What is it?

Do I need to turn it on?

It looks like the problem originated from BIOS specifics on this machine (an HP-made BIOS providing an absurdly limited set of options). The MB itself is also HP-made non-standard one. It has three SATA ports (invisible to ARC loader), 1 port PCIe x1 and some others.

Just for testing I installed PCIex1-to-SATA adapter card to MB PCIe x1 port. It is IOCrest 2 Port SATA III PCI-e 3.0 x1 Controller Card (Jmicron Chipset). And ARC loader recognized the drive connected to adapter. So the problem is solved and DSM now boots as expected.

Thanks for replies! It helped me!

Hi guys!

I have a working 7.1.1 syno with valid sn\mac and cloud functions installed by arpl.

I want to switch to another mainteinable loader and update os to 7.2.1. I believe that loader is arpl-i18n? Is that correct?

How to do this loader mirgration without my cloud account logoff and with sn\mac spoofing?

I've heard there is a way just pointing somehow my current arpl repo to arpl-i18n repo and it will update itself correctly. How to do that?

Thanks! :)

Hi All

I want to thank all for all the hard work put into all the loaders. I'm sure you are not thanked enough. I have been running flavors of xpenology since the 5. days. Without you guys this would never have happened. 

I was running  DSM 7.2 with ARPL-i18n v23.8.7. With this version my mac address and serial number from another machine passed through fine and were shown correctly and worked in DSM. 

I run in ESXI with the video card, ethernet card, and Sata controller all in PCIE passthrough mode. This has worked well since Jun's loader days and has never had an issue.

I went to upgrade to the latest version of rr but it wouldn't let me update and said I had to rebuild the loader. I shutdown the old VM and created a new VM with the same parameters. I booted RR v23.11.3 and built the loader adding my MAC and SN like i usually would, and built the loader. The upgrade to DSM 7.2.1 U1 went off without any issues and booted normally. The serial number passed through but the mac didn't. This has caused my machine to boot with a new ip on my home network. Dhcp provides a reserved IP for the mac address entered into RR. The correct mac shows up in the cmdline options of RR at the boot display. 

Why is the mac not passing through? Is this an issue with the current version of the loader? Is this something that i have done incorrectly? 

Is it possible to upgrade ARPL-i18n v23.8.7 to RR v23.11.3 via the manual update?  If so  could somebody please assist me in how to do this? Maybe this would keep the mac intact in the previous VM.

Any help that could be offered would really be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, thekidz said:

Hi All

I want to thank all for all the hard work put into all the loaders. I'm sure you are not thanked enough. I have been running flavors of xpenology since the 5. days. Without you guys this would never have happened. 

I was running  DSM 7.2 with ARPL-i18n v23.8.7. With this version my mac address and serial number from another machine passed through fine and were shown correctly and worked in DSM. 

I run in ESXI with the video card, ethernet card, and Sata controller all in PCIE passthrough mode. This has worked well since Jun's loader days and has never had an issue.

I went to upgrade to the latest version of rr but it wouldn't let me update and said I had to rebuild the loader. I shutdown the old VM and created a new VM with the same parameters. I booted RR v23.11.3 and built the loader adding my MAC and SN like i usually would, and built the loader. The upgrade to DSM 7.2.1 U1 went off without any issues and booted normally. The serial number passed through but the mac didn't. This has caused my machine to boot with a new ip on my home network. Dhcp provides a reserved IP for the mac address entered into RR. The correct mac shows up in the cmdline options of RR at the boot display. 

Why is the mac not passing through? Is this an issue with the current version of the loader? Is this something that i have done incorrectly? 

Is it possible to upgrade ARPL-i18n v23.8.7 to RR v23.11.3 via the manual update?  If so  could somebody please assist me in how to do this? Maybe this would keep the mac intact in the previous VM.

Any help that could be offered would really be appreciated. 

Hi All

I think I found my own answer. On Github it appears that by adding skip_vender_mac_interfaces="" to cmdline  was the answer. My DS now boots with the correct IP from my dhcp server and is shows the inputed mac in the Synology DSM. As always I should read before I speak. I hope this helps someone else out

Thanx Again

14 hours ago, thekidz said:

Would also like some pointers for this. I've previously just rebuilt the loader on another flash drive and then let the 'new' system recognise the drives etc - then import the configuration.

There is an update.zip on the ARPL 18n github page, but I can't see any guides on what to do with it - and whether you can easily update?!

1 hour ago, Hostilian said:

Would also like some pointers for this. I've previously just rebuilt the loader on another flash drive and then let the 'new' system recognise the drives etc - then import the configuration.

There is an update.zip on the ARPL 18n github page, but I can't see any guides on what to do with it - and whether you can easily update?!

https://github.com/wjz304/rr/releases/tag/23.9.7

https://github.com/wjz304/rr/releases/tag/23.10.5

Please read the release notes for both versions

Hi. I've had a look and the 10.5 update is only from 23.10.4 to 23.10.5 (so the script says). The other doesn't look to have any 'update' information.

One of my boxes is on the 23.7.1 loader.

I can't see notes for updating on the vast majority of the release pages, which is why I am asking. There's just that update.zip file present.
It's not a big issue, just wondering whether there was a simple upgrade path. If not, I'll just replace the loader and reconfigure as I've been doing.

Edited by Hostilian

25 minutes ago, Hostilian said:

Hi. I've had a look and the 10.5 update is only from 23.10.4 to 23.10.5 (so the script says). The other doesn't look to have any 'update' information.

One of my boxes is on the 23.7.1 loader.

I can't see notes for updating on the vast majority of the release pages, which is why I am asking. There's just that update.zip file present.
It's not a big issue, just wondering whether there was a simple upgrade path. If not, I'll just replace the loader and reconfigure as I've been doing.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/69718-tuto-dsm-7-pour-tous/

2. Sélectionner le menu Update menu :

or "Update menu -> Local upload"

• Like 2

Hi all just got notified of an update on the DSM 7.2.1-69057 update 1

i am running this on a HP N40L

now this is my first time updating and i believe i need to update arpl-i18n first

when i did this install i used version 23.7.5 and i see the latest version is 23.11.6

i also had to turn on direct boot for it to work

now down to my question 

can i load into the i18n menu and update from there 

and if i can do that then do i need to build the loader again or is it done automatically

doing it this way is all the setting preserved ie direct boot and things like serial number  

or do i need to down load the file from git hub and create a new usb boot drive and redo all the settings 

Screenshot 2023-11-18 164349.png

Edited by Lestat

Hi guys, I have made a mistake upgrading my Xpenology on VMWare environment to the latest 7.2.1. I'm using ARPL 1.1 beta 2a and the system, after the update, showed up this error and cannot boot anymore.

Can someone of you guys be so kind to help me in recovering this bad situation ?

The configuration of the Storage is based on a simple basic volume with a VMDK of a 2 TB.

Thank you in advance.

photo_2023-11-20_11-48-34.jpg

On 11/18/2023 at 5:53 PM, Lestat said:

now this is my first time updating and i believe i need to update arpl-i18n first

when i did this install i used version 23.7.5 and i see the latest version is 23.11.6

now down to my question 

and if i can do that then do i need to build the loader again or is it done automatically

doing it this way is all the setting preserved ie direct boot and things like serial number  

or do i need to down load the file from git hub and create a new usb boot drive and redo all the settings 

I'm having exactly the same questions

Le 18/11/2023 à 17:53, Lestat a dit :

now down to my question 

You are right, you need to upgrade ARPL-i18n (now called RR) at least in this version https://github.com/wjz304/rr/releases/tag/23.9.6 (according to release notes) before upgrading to the DSM version you mention.
By security, I suggest you to browse and note in a safe place every current boot loader settings in every menu before doing the update, in place or flashing a second boot device (USB stick, SATA DOM, what else, ...)

By the way, I suggest to do the same for BIOS settings, modern motherboards offer in general some slot in memory to save settings profiles. Easy for testings and saving you lots of time 'cause it could be a real pain in the *ss to find the exact settings to make DSM boots successfully !

Good luck !

Thanks I do have all my settings written down

I am going with a new usb drive and new image

I have the serial number the server has been using but can't see where in the rr menu I can enter this to preserve it

Or is that something I dont need to do

Edited by Lestat

22 hours ago, MichelD said:

I'm having exactly the same questions

have just done the update on the n40l and 8th gen with no problems i used RR 23.11.8

and used all the same settings as before i did ad the serial number i was using not sure if this is needed 

i did it by going to advanced, edit user config file, and changed the number next to sn:

i then built the loader after the loader was built i went back into the advanced settings and switched direct boot to true 

i then booted the loader after around 5 min the server was visible to my pc i updated the dsm direct form synology 

on the restart it took nearly the full 10 minuets for the server to restart 

4 hours ago, Lestat said:

Thanks I do have all my settings written down

I am going with a new usb drive and new image

I have the serial number the server has been using but can't see where in the rr menu I can enter this to preserve it

Or is that something I dont need to do

image.thumb.png.0958b018dd83dfe930e387c5f13142b5.png

• Like 2

Since my bootloder flashdrive got faulty I needed to flash a new flashdrive with latest RedPill (I chose ARC) loader. This generates at least new mac for the nics and I think also a 'general id'. However, I cannot recover just migrate via Synology Assistant. But then I run into the error "Available system space is insufficient".

The only tip here seems to be until now to log into ssh. But that is in my case not possible. I think that I had terminal ssh active in options and I know that I changed the port that I still know but since DSM is not running I can not log in and 'clean stuff up'.

Is there no way I can recover my DSM via bootloader?

I found in ARC the option to force reinstall. Well, at least I backups and could try that but very time consuming since only the flashdrive got faulty and not my DSM install!

13 minutes ago, MichelD said:

Is an update of RR recommended before updating DSM?

Is it required to rebuild the loader after an update of RR?

Whether you need to update RR when updating DSM depends on whether the official boot file has been modified. This is unpredictable, 
so I can't answer this question. I can only suggest that if you update DSM, it is best to update RR simultaneously.

After RR is updated, it will be prompted to rebuild.

• Like 1