XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

please help me to arrange discs for DS920+ (DT). I used default settings and used one sata drive in port 6(named sata5 in bios as they go 0-5 there). After installing the DSM I see one drive in slot 1. But what I want is to see it in slot 6. How to fix it? I need them go exactly as ports marked on the motherboard. 

• Like 1

Hello! Use ARC loader, that a fork from ARPL, latest contains many more good feature, just tried cpu scaler that works good, i get lower cpu speed, from 2100 can fall to 1700 and 1400 MHz, but unfortunately get significant less point in a geekbench test. Nothing's changed, only that one added. 

What can i do? 

before cpuscaler.jpg

after cpuscaler.jpg

Edited by Rick4

3 hours ago, gadreel said:

Hello,

I have a 1Gbit port and 10Gbit port, is it possible configure the ARPL i18n loader to which port will be eth0 and which eth1? Because every time I reboot the VM it changes around and is breaking my HA cluster.

I gave you some replies on Github

• Like 1

[NOTICE]

Now, when using DS918+ and HBA in REDPILL, the hard drive serial number is displayed.

I've been hanging here all day today, and for the first time in a while, I'm bringing you some good news.

It seems that DS918+ (apollolake) will now rise again to the level of the most perfect model.

Transcoding, HBA everything is perfect.

This makes it the only model that supports these two conditions.

Until now, there has been a problem with not being able to distribute the serial number, which is the S.M.A.R.T information of the hard disk, when using it with HBA.

There was a fatal problem that made it difficult to replace the hard drive when using it in raid mode.

Today, the source of lkm5 for Kernel 5 developed for SA6400 was developed targeting Kernel 5, but various improvements were seen.

https://github.com/XPEnology-Community/redpill-lkm5

I imported only the improved parts of the existing lkm source for Kernel 4 and compiled it.

A new source that stands out is scsi_disk_serial.c / scsi_disk_serial.h.

I could smell it just by looking at the name, so I brought it right away. lol

scsi corresponds to the hba device and means the serial source of the disk.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-lkm/blob/master/shim/storage/scsi_disk_serial.c

Many experts came together to solve this problem in order to improve this source.

Development was completed 3 months ago, but it seems no one has thought to apply it to Kernel 4.^^

2023-08-307_37_10.thumb.png.e194a14e91ae85b9be053a38e1720aca.png

Currently only applied to M-SHELL.

I will spread this information separately to ARPL developers.

As always, you will need to rebuild your loader.

The lkm version that must be updated to the new version during the build process is 23.5.8.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-lkm/releases/tag/23.5.8

2023-08-307_24_57.thumb.png.6366e594543307139f0656e4bb37de33.png

@wjz304

Please see my lkm linked.
I think you can consider the sources modified today as the target for syncing.
Please try it and contact us if you have any problems.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-lkm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 2/17/2023 at 6:51 PM, IG-88 said:

usually up to 24 war the way to go with the "old" style of disk handling

try to make it 24 and no esata and no usb an look for the outcome

it might also be possible to do disk remapping with syno's kernel parameters but that's going to be  a lot of try an error to get it right

esataportcfg="0x0"
maxdisks="20"
internalportcfg="0xfffff"
usbportcfg="0x0"

(or usbportcfg="0x300000"

that way you dont have to touch the 6 ports on the main board (in that situation its best to disable the whole onboard sata part if possible, so look fot data controller disable in bios, if there is some stuff about sigle ports ignore it, look for disabling all ports at once)

Sorry reply old post but i really needed some help from the Genius IG 88 on this!

Could you tale a look at my issue in my thread please? It is just like this guys above that you were helping here..

I really need to use external usb, and not have it show up as the boot disk! lol!  

Please, if you could spare just a minute on my issue, i KNOW you can solve. I NEED your help please... you are Awesome IG88!

3 hours ago, crazych said:

I want to buy a 10gbs sfp+ network card from my server, but I can't find a list of supported network cards anywhere, how can I see which cards are supported by the loader?

ask auxxillium through e-mail, he develop his ARPL  fork (ARC loader)  very very hard. 

On 8/30/2023 at 6:48 AM, Peter Suh said:

[NOTICE]

Now, when using DS918+ and HBA in REDPILL, the hard drive serial number is displayed.

I've been hanging here all day today, and for the first time in a while, I'm bringing you some good news.

It seems that DS918+ (apollolake) will now rise again to the level of the most perfect model.

Transcoding, HBA everything is perfect.

This makes it the only model that supports these two conditions.

Until now, there has been a problem with not being able to distribute the serial number, which is the S.M.A.R.T information of the hard disk, when using it with HBA.

There was a fatal problem that made it difficult to replace the hard drive when using it in raid mode.

Today, the source of lkm5 for Kernel 5 developed for SA6400 was developed targeting Kernel 5, but various improvements were seen.

https://github.com/XPEnology-Community/redpill-lkm5

I imported only the improved parts of the existing lkm source for Kernel 4 and compiled it.

A new source that stands out is scsi_disk_serial.c / scsi_disk_serial.h.

I could smell it just by looking at the name, so I brought it right away. lol

scsi corresponds to the hba device and means the serial source of the disk.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-lkm/blob/master/shim/storage/scsi_disk_serial.c

Many experts came together to solve this problem in order to improve this source.

Development was completed 3 months ago, but it seems no one has thought to apply it to Kernel 4.^^

2023-08-307_37_10.thumb.png.e194a14e91ae85b9be053a38e1720aca.png

Currently only applied to M-SHELL.

I will spread this information separately to ARPL developers.

As always, you will need to rebuild your loader.

The lkm version that must be updated to the new version during the build process is 23.5.8.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-lkm/releases/tag/23.5.8

2023-08-307_24_57.thumb.png.6366e594543307139f0656e4bb37de33.png

@wjz304

Please see my lkm linked.
I think you can consider the sources modified today as the target for syncing.
Please try it and contact us if you have any problems.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-lkm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for this serial update. I've been waiting for this feature for a long time!!!

But it seems this feature introduces several problems. (It might be this feature or ARPL, I'm not sure, I've created an issue #201 in arpl-i18n for these problems.)

First is changing HDD serial number does crash existing storage pool. WE NEED PUT CAUTION MESSAGE IN LOADER CHANGELOG. The storage which contains HDD on SAS HBA will show as "missing" after LKMS update. The solution as following.

1. Eject all HDDs related to a "missing" pool

2. Remove storage pool from Storage Manager

3. Attach back those HDDs

4. Wait until DSM identifies all HDD, and it should give an "recoverable" pool

5. Do a "repair" or "reconstruct" on that pool.

Then, there is more serious problem. It seems the loader doesn't pass HDD information until DSM boots up. So, as soon as we can login the web portal, the HDDs are not there. They will pop up one-by-one. Before those HDD are taken over by DSM, the storage pool shows "missing". In another word, DSM boots "too fast" even before those HDDs are handed over to DSM.

Can you please look into those problems? Thanks a lot.

10 hours ago, snailium said:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for this serial update. I've been waiting for this feature for a long time!!!

But it seems this feature introduces several problems. (It might be this feature or ARPL, I'm not sure, I've created an issue #201 in arpl-i18n for these problems.)

First is changing HDD serial number does crash existing storage pool. WE NEED PUT CAUTION MESSAGE IN LOADER CHANGELOG. The storage which contains HDD on SAS HBA will show as "missing" after LKMS update. The solution as following.

1. Eject all HDDs related to a "missing" pool

2. Remove storage pool from Storage Manager

3. Attach back those HDDs

4. Wait until DSM identifies all HDD, and it should give an "recoverable" pool

5. Do a "repair" or "reconstruct" on that pool.

Then, there is more serious problem. It seems the loader doesn't pass HDD information until DSM boots up. So, as soon as we can login the web portal, the HDDs are not there. They will pop up one-by-one. Before those HDD are taken over by DSM, the storage pool shows "missing". In another word, DSM boots "too fast" even before those HDDs are handed over to DSM.

Can you please look into those problems? Thanks a lot.

This may be an existing issue that has persisted and occurred occasionally in the past.
I too have experienced this phenomenon in the past.

I understand that most HBA SAS controller firmware is mainly legacy firmware. Of course, EFI firmware also exists.

You will be able to select EFI priority or Legacy priority in the storage related settings in BIOS.
If EFI is prioritized, the SAS controller BIOS will proceed quickly.
However, if legacy is preferred, the SAS controller BIOS detects each disk.
In this process, the controller gains enough timing to stably recognize all disks.

I have never encountered this phenomenon since changing the BIOS to legacy priority.
I hope the direction I predicted is correct.

13 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

This may be an existing issue that has persisted and occurred occasionally in the past.

I understand that most HBA SAS controller firmware is mainly legacy firmware. Of course, EFI firmware also exists.

You will be able to select EFI priority or Legacy priority in the storage related settings in BIOS.
In this process, the controller gains enough timing to stably recognize all disks.

I have never encountered this phenomenon since changing the BIOS to legacy priority.

Thanks Peter, I'll try using legacy BIOS with HDD detection.

Currently on my baremetal, I'm using BIOS mode but set controller to off, so it bypasses the HDD detection and saves me some boot time.

But this problem also exists on Proxmox VM, which I cannot switch it to legacy BIOS mode. Probably we need to find some other solution.

So i was able to get my 918 from 6.2 to 7.1 and now 7.2 

My OTHER more production 918+ is backing up as we speak, not sure which loader ill use.

My question is, with all these new loaders i see a lot of new driver support and correct me if I'm wrong, but driver support for cards etc weve not been able to typically use in past. 

Is it in the realm of possibility that i could somehow now install an ASMedia Asm3242 in ANY build? USB-C 3.2 x2 20gbps is needed for special use case/testing. Any sortof driver tweak for this? Or ANY possibility of ANY 10g/20g usb c card for any of the new loaders?

For example,

Startech's (PEXUSB321C)

I wouldn't dare ask for TB3/TB4 functionality!

Also need driver for Marvell , Aquantia, Aqtion AQx-107? (Atlantic?) 10GBE single port nic. (mine are tp-link's  tx401) dirt cheap on ebay.

Trust me I completely understand that this is a Nas and not a PC we're talking about here, but with some of the really cool drivers people have made with these loaders, it's made some stuff I thought was impossible now very possible! And i thank you devs and mods, for this!

On 9/5/2023 at 2:54 AM, crazych said:

I want to buy a 10gbs sfp+ network card from my server, but I can't find a list of supported network cards anywhere, how can I see which cards are supported by the loader?

My Intel X540-t2 (rj45) cards have worked for me on Arpl,Arpl 18n, and Arc. These are rather inexpensive on ebay. 

I have successfully used arpl-i18n-23.7.5 to install 7.2 on two machines and had to reinstall on one to try and get a network card recognised.

However, when I try again (on both Microserver Gen7 and Gen8) and go to find.synology I end up with no drives detected... 

Are there simple steps to address this? I'm sure it must be a minor change to make. 

Thank you!

EDIT: Fixed. There was a bios setting for sata/asci that I missed.

Edited by blue max
update

Posted this question in Post-Install but got no comments on it. Reposting it here. Hope that is OK?

I bought a small Beelink N100 box. It came with installed NVME and I added a SATA SSSD. I used ARPL i18l loader and with additional module manage to get everything up and running. 

I selected DS923+. 

I can create storage pools with either drive.

However, my wish would be to create a SHR storage pool from both drives. DSM does not allow me to make this. 

Did anyone found a way to make this happen?

On 9/6/2023 at 9:58 AM, Peter Suh said:

Hi Peter,

After several experiments, I managed to get rid of the corrupt disks.

The problem is due to mpt3sas driver update from ARPL-i18n 23.9.0.

Current working set

- ARPL-i18n 23.9.1

- LKMs 23.9.1

- addon 23.9.1

- modules 23.8.5

People with corrupt disk problem can try revert modules to 23.8.5 through update menu -> Local upload.

https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-modules/releases/tag/23.8.5

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snailium said:

Hi Peter,

After several experiments, I managed to get rid of the corrupt disks.

The problem is due to mpt3sas driver update from ARPL-i18n 23.9.0.

Current working set

- ARPL-i18n 23.9.1

- LKMs 23.9.1

- addon 23.9.1

- modules 23.8.5

People with corrupt disk problem can try revert modules to 23.8.5 through update menu -> Local upload.

https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-modules/releases/tag/23.8.5

Did you create an issue on @wjz304 GitHub repo ?