XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

I have a similar problem.. I update to beta 9, reboot.. Later update addons, lvm, and modules and rebuild boot loader. But when I try to boot, aparently loader start with ip but I can't see them.. I think something it's wrong on this steps or with last beta version..

Edited by lord_kimbou

Reading along for a couple of days. Would appreciate some guidance. I have run Jun's bootloader 6.xx for a couple of years in an old sandybridge sysem with 8 hard drives(onboard controllers). Setting up a completely new system with hewlett packard g3 sff with Intel Core i5-6500 processor(skylake), 32 gigs ram, IOCREST PCIe Gen3 x4 slot to 5 Port SATA III 6Gbp/s Non-Raid Controller Card JMB585, 8 spinners, extra power supply for spinners, and a google coral either pcie or usb which ever will come first. 

The new system serves as the majority of storage but I had planned also to run one VM which is home assistant which is what the current systems responsibilities are. 

Is there something I must do to include support for the disk controller card and further down the line possibly the pcie or usb google coral which will need to be passed through to the home assistant VM.

I am open to suggestions on what platform to use also. I have an synology ds218+ with apollo lake that currently acts as plex stack. The media libraries are stored on the old system which will hopefully migrate to the new system bc the ds218+ old has room for 2 hard drives.

Edited by dasbooter

Hello everyone , im new to this forum , im having an issue and i have been trying to figure it out like crazy.

So everything started from youtube i got a video about xpenology . well , i liked it .

downloaded this loader trying on virualbox and everything was ok . then i wanted to install on my very old pc i found .

upgraded my ram installed 3 hdd that i found like 2 3.5 and 1 2.5 laptop hdd (i dont need to backup very important things , most of the photos and vids and doc i keep on cloud).

all started like a fun project and going pretty extreme project for me. installed the arpl into usb pluged in , booted usb did everthing i did in virtualbox , found the synology ip and then bum surpsise , NO HDD DETECTED .

tried a ton of things like sataportmap and idmap or whatever , none of this worked and i had no idea what i was doing , and still i dont have any idea whats wrong .

also tried the other loader with .rploader with all comands and still no luck .

tried ds 920+ ds3622xs+ , ds1621+ and still NO HDD DETECTED. found in this forum some commands and i can see all devices 3 of my hdd and 1 usb 

down below is the output that i saved 

can anyone take a look and have any idea how to fix this . THANKS

ps. in bios i have set LEGACY

for sata there is only 1 option ATA

fdisk -l.txtlspci -nnvk.txt

IMG_20221219_000253.thumb.jpg.21bc075500a1bb8d0c60e3044c129629.jpg

4 minutes ago, romeo said:

Hello everyone , im new to this forum , im having an issue and i have been trying to figure it out like crazy.

So everything started from youtube i got a video about xpenology . well , i liked it .

downloaded this loader trying on virualbox and everything was ok . then i wanted to install on my very old pc i found .

upgraded my ram installed 3 hdd that i found like 2 3.5 and 1 2.5 laptop hdd (i dont need to backup very important things , most of the photos and vids and doc i keep on cloud).

all started like a fun project and going pretty extreme project for me. installed the arpl into usb pluged in , booted usb did everthing i did in virtualbox , found the synology ip and then bum surpsise , NO HDD DETECTED .

tried a ton of things like sataportmap and idmap or whatever , none of this worked and i had no idea what i was doing , and still i dont have any idea whats wrong .

tried ds 920+ ds3622xs+ , ds1621+ and still NO HDD DETECTED. found in this forum some commands and i can see all devices 3 of my hdd and 1 usb 

Sorry off the top of my head you said really old system...is your generation of cpu supported by the platform your installing? just thought I would check

Edited by dasbooter

thanks for reply , i saw an graph where like what cpu and threads the loaders support , and i remeber i saw any x86_x64 if im not wrong 

and i dont know how to tell but xpenology is booting , i just get NO DRIVES DETECTED. So it is booting fine 

also i just check in the settings of the loader that i have 0 hdd

here is the photo

IMG_20221218_224422.thumb.jpg.ee040025c6ad348beb0769e6fd05d26b.jpg

Edited by romeo

15 hours ago, romeo said:

fdisk -l.txt 1.28 kB · 1 download lspci -nnvk.txt 9.04 kB · 1 download

The lspci says your SATA controller is set to IDE mode, I think this should be set to AHCI in your BIOS. Can you set it to UEFI instead of legacy?

On 12/18/2022 at 2:40 PM, Altaram said:

I get the following score with the latest version of ARPL 920+. I run the test with docker: 

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19373659

They seem like very low figures to me, you should get something similar to this:

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/intel-core-i5-4570t

Any suggestions?

Thanks for running the test, getting some more samples helps.

The best solution I see right now is switching to the 3615xs, which doesn't work in UEFI mode so you need CSM/legacy mode.

I get the following score with the latest version of ARPL 920+. I run the test with docker: 

They seem like very low figures to me, you should get something similar to this:

Any suggestions?

That benchark is terrible low, i think, you must try it with newer hardware. Thas uses old chipsets, low speed DDR rams, and the cpu wit T on end always significant slower than original. Do not but a T ended CPU. 

Any suggestions?

Running it with docker on VM proxmox using I7-4790K :

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19395499

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/intel-core-i7-4790k

Single Core is near original, but far less in multi-core.

24 minutes ago, testcb00 said:

As I have some Optane 16GB, I would like to use them as boot drive if possible.

Don't think it's possible, the bootloader needs to exclude itself from DSM. Right now only USB and SATA is supported.

Just use a Flash drive for ARPL and try the Optane as SSD caching, that's what its porpoise was if I'm not mistaken.

The real boot process of DSM happens on the HDD anyway, the ARPL boot is only the first part of it. So wouldn't be a big speed boost.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:06 PM, idaanx said:

I didn't choose the 918+ model because according to this table my CPU might not support the required FMA3 instruction. But I did try it out later like most (or all) other models, and it worked but with poor performance like the other models.

I have been running 918+ for years on N3150, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

If you give me steps how to perform the benchmark that you did, I can run it on my system and we can compare results.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to run the arpl-1.0-beta9 loader on hardware:

Gigabyte H610I, integrated I219-V network card with e1000e core driver.
Intel Celeron G6900 AlderLake, F21
Memory 8Gb ddr4

The problem is that when the loader starts after the build, the loader freezes. This was observed in many, but not one of the solutions did not suit me. The last hope is for the author of the assembly and those who faced the same problem and solved it.
Before buying a compatible PCIe card or USB stick to RJ-45, I would like to fully understand and understand that it will not be possible to run the bootloader on the built-in network card.

photo_2022-12-19_22-34-05.jpg

photo_2022-12-19_22-34-01.jpg

5 minutes ago, turtle_a said:

Hi everyone, I'm trying to run the arpl-1.0-beta9 loader on hardware:

Gigabyte H610I, integrated I219-V network card with e1000e core driver.
Intel Celeron G6900 AlderLake, F21
Memory 8Gb ddr4

The problem is that when the loader starts after the build, the loader freezes. This was observed in many, but not one of the solutions did not suit me. The last hope is for the author of the assembly and those who faced the same problem and solved it.
Before buying a compatible PCIe card or USB stick to RJ-45, I would like to fully understand and understand that it will not be possible to run the bootloader on the built-in network card.

photo_2022-12-19_22-34-05.jpg

The loader doesn't freezes, that's just how far it goes with outputting text. Use Synology Assistant to find it or wait a few minutes and use the green ip that it is showing in a browser to start the installation.

11 минуту назад, idaanx сказал:

The loader doesn't freezes, that's just how far it goes with outputting text. Use Synology Assistant to find it or wait a few minutes and use the green ip that it is showing in a browser to start the installation.

Please forgive me, I forgot to mention that ping disappears to the specified IP address. I waited about 20 minutes before, but Assistant Synology never showed me the device.

1 minute ago, turtle_a said:

Please forgive me, I forgot to mention that ping disappears to the specified IP address. I waited about 20 minutes before, but Assistant Synology never showed me the device.

I've had this happen to me on certain models, the one that works most consistently is the 920+

Just now, turtle_a said:

Thanks, I'll try it now. And what else did you specify before build the loader?

I personally haven't ben able to get the whole thing to work with the Mini PCs I have available, but I did experience that different device models remain undiscoverable, whereas others do become discoverable, my roadblock is when Installing the system, it just won't complete.