XPEnology Community

Tutorial: Install/Migrate to DSM 7.x with TinyCore RedPill (TCRP) Loader

flyride

Hello, after installation, for sudo via ssh, is root allowed? What is the password for root?

When I use sudo -l, I get

Matching Defaults entries for lukas on XPEnology:
    syslog=authpriv

User lukas may run the following commands on XPEnology:
    (ALL) ALL

but still I do not have admin rights

(for example 'mv /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt.bak' or 'mkdir /volume1/@appstore' does not work - Permission denied)

So, how can I get root privileges?

Edited by ladamek

On 2/28/2023 at 3:54 PM, dj_nsk said:

In your case (assuming two HDDs work as RAID/SHR?) I can offer this scenario:

1.       Checking DSM7

1.1.    Write down the currently used Serial number/MAC

1.2.    Disconnect both HDD 4TB, disconnect USB flash Jun 1.04b - put them aside

1.3.    Connect any free HDD for experiments, from which you can delete all data (you can also use a new 8TB HDD, but after checking you will have to erase it).

1.4.    Download TCRP and Write Image to the new USB Flash Drive (Step 2 in this Tutorial)

1.5.    Follow the remaining steps of the Tutorial. In Step 4 point 4 – manually enter your SN/MAC into user_config.json

1.6.    Download the "clean" DSM7, check how it works

2.       DSM6 to DSM7 upgrade

2.1.    Disconnect the experimental HDD (from clause 1.3), do not disconnect the flash drive TCRP

2.2.   Connect one active HDD 4TB with DSM6 (let the second HDD 4TB lie as a backup data source) 

2.3.   Start the DSM. A recover/upgrade will be offered. If everything goes well, then DSM7 will boot successfully, but it will swear at the critical state of the storage pool (one disk is missing in the RAID).

2.4.    We need to make sure that the data (and some of the settings, packages) are preserved. If everything is fine, then:

2.5.    Turn off the DSM, connect one new 8TB HDD, turn on and restore the storage pool. Be prepared – this will take several hours to complete. Now you will already have a fully working DSM7, only with a storage size of 4TB.

3.       Final upgrade HDD

3.1.    Turn off DSM 7, disconnect the old HDD 4TB, connect the second new HDD 8TB, turn on DSM

3.2.    Restore and expand the storage pool. It will also last a few hours, but this is already your updated DSM7 + 2x8TB HDD.

4.       If something went wrong after point 2.2 (returning to the DSM6 + 2x4TB HD):

4.1.    Disconnect the first HDD 4TB, connect instead only one second HDD 4TB (deferred in clause 2.2)

4.2.    Disconnect the TCRP USB-flash drive, connect Jun 1.04b, start and check DSM 6

4.3.    Clear the first HDD 4TB (Erase the Drive)

4.4.    Connect a erased first HDD 4TB to the DSM 6, start, restore the storage pool. Now you are completely back to the original state.

In such a scenario, you have a backup copy of your data on one of the HDD at every step.

Feeling brave enough to try it in next few days.
Can you please advise, what did you mean by restore in steps 3.2 and 4.4. is it an option somewhere in settings of DSM. 

many thanks. 

Edited by peter_pan

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 9:47 AM, flyride said:

...Typical Problems:

• If the DSM installation reports something went wrong/SATA ports disabled, or if WARNING: Bad port is returned by the TCRP configuration tools, there are three primary causes:
    1. hotplug not enabled for all ports on controllers that support hotplug
    2. ports supported by the chipset but omitted from the motherboard physical implementation
    3. M.2 SATA-capable ports that have no hotplug option enabled...

Can anybody elaborate on ports supported by the chipset but omitted from the motherboard physical implementation please?

I'm running DSM 7.1.1 on Gen8 baremetal.
Trying to upgrade to 7.2.0.

No matter what approach will I adopt - and I've been trying at least 4-5 now - everytime after the installation of the PAT file and restart I end up with Syno Assistant saying Recoverable:

image.thumb.png.32305618b2fc710fd27e814739965385.png

and when trying to recover I get:

image.png.bec8bcd0ca1668b86580e4d9ead1c1e9.png

I've been over the three sugestions on the Troubleshooting section in order to solve the problem BUT Gen8 is doesn't support hotplug/unplug and doesn't have M.2 SATA-capable ports either. The third one - ports supported by the chipset but omitted from the motherboard physical implementation - is not clear to me.

Can anybody elaborate on it please?

Thanks!

Edited by asaf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, maybe not the right place to ask, but I have been running TCRP DS918+ for quite some months now without ever doing an update. I also have a real DS918+ that currently updated to DMS 7.1.1-42962 Update 6. My xpenology machine shows to be up-to-date with DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 1. I'm wondering why it's not suggesting me to update. It used to suggest me updates when was running Juns loader. Can I manually do the update or do I also have to do some steps with the TCRP loader?

cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

After usb broke down i made  a new one and tried to get it working again

whenever i give the command to build wit tcrp i get this message back

tc@box:~$ Error : Platform not found :
-sh: Error: not found
tc@box:~$ sudo ./rploader.sh build ds3622xs+-7.1.0-42661
Error : Platform not found :
rploader.sh

Tryint to go from 7.0.0.  to 7.1.0 or higher to 7.2.1

Who can direct waht i am doing wrong or is going wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 9:07 PM, southernsun said:

Hi, maybe not the right place to ask, but I have been running TCRP DS918+ for quite some months now without ever doing an update. I also have a real DS918+ that currently updated to DMS 7.1.1-42962 Update 6. My xpenology machine shows to be up-to-date with DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 1. I'm wondering why it's not suggesting me to update. It used to suggest me updates when was running Juns loader. Can I manually do the update or do I also have to do some steps with the TCRP loader?

cheers.

I did just that and clicked update manually to 7.2 from 7.1.1 Update 6 and now have error "no drives found"

Could someone help me to solve the issue?

Do I need to update the TCRP?

can someone post some steps please?

Thank you!

Edited by icanic

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, hiliger84 said:

I have nuc8i7 with slot m.2 nvme. Can i install dsm on it?

The guide says that one additional SATA port and power is supported.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i5INH_NUC8i7INH_TPS.pdf

DSM cannot be installed on M.2 NVMe alone.
You must have at least one SATA disk.

The guide says that one additional SATA port and power is supported.
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i5INH_NUC8i7INH_TPS.pdf
DSM cannot be installed on M.2 NVMe alone.
You must have at least one SATA disk.
Can i use it?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ejyiswj

5 Sata port for raid disk and one for dsm

8 minutes ago, hiliger84 said:

Can i use it?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ejyiswj

5 Sata port for raid disk and one for dsm

Does your NUC model not support one SATA port?

I'm using the model you mentioned too, but it doesn't seem to be very stable.
In XPE, only up to 5 items could be recognized.
If you use this part, how do you plan to power the SATA disks?

2023-09-2010_42_47.thumb.png.be2f06ed2bfaf2c282d3634180ae83c3.png

59 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Does your NUC model not support one SATA port?

I'm using the model you mentioned too, but it doesn't seem to be very stable.
In XPE, only up to 5 items could be recognized.
If you use this part, how do you plan to power the SATA disks?

2023-09-2010_42_47.thumb.png.be2f06ed2bfaf2c282d3634180ae83c3.png

First of all, thank you very much for your answers.

You're right, I hadn't thought of that

Edited by hiliger84

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I've got an error after fresh Installation of DSM 7.2-64750 (which is the newest into RedPill ./rploader.sh List).

It installs this version, the version boot and I install the PAT-File without Errors, but after that the Recovery Page from DSM appears with "Hello Back"... please recover... But this HDD is Blank, there's no old installation. How could I get a working DMS 7.2 onto that?

If I click on "Recover" there's an installation but after reboot I get the same error.

grafik.thumb.png.6681ab4584ffd89b16da53a7df50a5e5.png

Hello,

I've installed xpenology on VMWare, initially I used generated stuff for SN and MAC addresses.

But now, synology wont boot :(

I've also changed VM settings to set mac addresses the same that the one I set in loader....

Do you know what wrong ?

Thanks

Edited by DomZ

Hello,

I've installed xpenology on VMWare, initially I used generated stuff for SN and MAC addresses.
But now, synology wont boot [emoji20]
I've also changed VM settings to set mac addresses the same that the one I set in loader....

Do you know what wrong ?

Thanks

I use VMWare on W11 with E1000 and boot perfect with loader.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I'm facing a lot of issue with my new hardware... So I'm testing some setups but with no success for now :(

I just received an HPE Proliant Microserver gen10+ v2 to which I added a QNAP M.2 card (the QM2-2P10G1TB, 2 M.2 NVMe slots and a 10Gb ethernet port).

I put a SSD on one of the NVMe port, and have 4 disks on the native SATA's ports.

First of all I wanted to install Arc on an ESXI VM, and I successfully installed ESXI on the M.2 SSD, but I can't get my disks in passthrough, so I tried some other configurations.

So, I tested to install Arc in baremetal. I removed all 4 SATA drives to install DSM on the M.2 SSD.

First steps went well but when the DSM installation arrived... The NVMe disk is missing (while ESXI hadn't any issue seeing it...)

image.thumb.png.68890f9de8e8e57f5ac258123cc33704.png

Am I missing something? Do I need to configure anything special on the BIOS? Is the NVMe card not adapted to my configuration?

(And maybe there is another topic I should move this subject to?)

Thanks a lot!!

• 1 month later...

Hi colleagues!

I had installed and working XPEnology XS3622xs+ (based on Proxmox) but it was clean and not really used. I tried to upgrade from 7.1.1 version to 7.2.x manually via GUI but didn't perform any task in loader. (Loader version was 0.8.5). The system was not started after rebuild :(

I spent a lot of time in attempts to go back but no results obtained. So I tried to re-install XPEnology with manual. Loader version is now 10.0.0. Manual remains in previous state but some procedure is changed (but nothing critical with misunderstanding). The last version installing in loader (build) is 7.2.0 however Synology base is 7.2.1 already.

Anyway I tried many times with different versions but I have now the remaining status "Recoverable": "We see you have moved your hard disks from other NAS to DS3622sx+. Please press Recover to restore your data and blablabla". After pressing Recover button something was tried to perform (visible on console) but just system restart is really done. After restart the status is the same and everything can be continued if you press again...

I tried USB and SATA mode, "download latest SW" and put just link to downloaded file - no result. Now I used the same version as it is possible in loader = 64570 (built step by step as it was mentioned in manual).

Probably something was not added to the loader to align the "motherboard loaded software" and "disk placed software?

image.thumb.png.910b6cc3a0a182fa4a32f1e0fe1aef1d.png