XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader Build Support Tool ( M-Shell )

Peter Suh

7 hours ago, maqros said:

Hi guys. Is there any way to roll back or recover, if I trapped into this)? I've got DS920+ with M.2 NVMe cache

I will share how to temporarily change the loader back to another model and handle it.

Rebuild the loader with a model different from the model you are currently using (change only the model, keep the serial/MAC address)

as an example

DS920+ U2 -> DS923+ U0(U1) -> DS920+ U0(U1)

You can downgrade by changing to another model for a while and going through two migrations back to the original model.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 2:50 PM, Peter Suh said:

[notification]

DT based DS920+ (Gemini Lake), DS1621+ (v1000), ds923+ (r1000)
Please refrain from updating to 7.2-64570 U2 for your platform.

An issue has been identified where M.2 NVMe caches are not recognized as DT devices.
If you are not using M.2 NVMe cache, this issue is irrelevant.
As soon as the cause is confirmed, related fixes will be distributed and announced.

[notification]

That issue has been resolved.
In case of M SHELL, you need to rebuild the loader.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi is it possbile install DSM with Mshell without CPU Freq. Addon ?

Because as you know with this addon the Gne8 has not the full CPU performance.

thank you

A script to disable scalable is already installed.

sudo -i
cd /usr/sbin
sh unscaler.sh

Re-enable it as follows.

sh rescaler.sh

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sliders said:

Hello, why each time I start with the latest version v0.9.4.3-2 I don't have the installation console as indicated here for me there is only the tinycore-redpill.v0.9.3.0-1 version with console

00000.png

You first reported that the installation console menu did not appear in v0.9.4.3-2.

I will let you know after analyzing what the differences are between the two versions.

Probably only aterm was used in the old version,
In the latest version, urxvt for multilingual support is used.
I'm not sure for some reason, but it looks like urxvt failed to install or couldn't run in your v0.9.4.3-2.

Can you run urxvt in one of the four console windows where commands are available?
I would like to know the result.

If only English is needed, I don't know if a supplementary plan is needed to use only aterm.

• Like 1

i made yesterday a fresh instalation. At the first run it did an update of M-Shell and waited for "any key". Push a "spacebar" didnt help but ENTER did and M-Shell Menu appear.

@Peter Suh at the moment i have DSM 7.2-64561 (DS920+)... Can i safety update to DSM 7.2-64570 without redpill re-compilation or i have to re-compile redpill first?

Edited by shibby

51 minutes ago, shibby said:

i made yesterday a fresh instalation. At the first run it did an update of M-Shell and waited for "any key". Push a "spacebar" didnt help but ENTER did and M-Shell Menu appear.

@Peter Suh at the moment i have DSM 7.2-64561 (DS920+)... Can i safety update to DSM 7.2-64570 without redpill re-compilation or i have to re-compile redpill first?

There is a possibility of unexpected errors when using a lower version loader.
Try updating without recompiling (rebuilding).
If the DSM recovery request is repeated, the loader must be rebuilt.

Il y a 11 heures, Peter Suh a dit :

You first reported that the installation console menu did not appear in v0.9.4.3-2.

I will let you know after analyzing what the differences are between the two versions.

Probably only aterm was used in the old version,
In the latest version, urxvt for multilingual support is used.
I'm not sure for some reason, but it looks like urxvt failed to install or couldn't run in your v0.9.4.3-2.

Can you run urxvt in one of the four console windows where commands are available?
I would like to know the result.

If only English is needed, I don't know if a supplementary plan is needed to use only aterm.

Merci , THANKS

19 hours ago, sliders said:

Merci , THANKS

Are you French living in France?
If so, M SHELL automatically detects the router's country and tries to automatically switch to French.
We have modified and distributed the function promised yesterday.
If you try and fail with urxvt , aterm is run instead.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, shibby said:

I want to show off my new toy :) M-shell loaded ofc.

cpu i5-4570
msi h81m-e34
8GB ram
PERC H310 IT mode
8x 12TB SAS 4kN
4x 4TB WD Gold
case Aerocool Cipher
be quiet 700W System Power 9

0ecb4c481733d97e00c97113b6252b4b1eaf4575

8f5b4939c8432cd3fb654d79410a5a8cbe25fbb5

d4520a54a5bc804ea87b01c742d5e30291fbe6d5

😁

All 3 images attached look broken.
See settings below.

[HBA - H200, H310 recommended setting]

DDSML, DS3622xs+, not EUDEV

"DiskIdxMap": "1000",
"SataPortMap": "12",
"SasIdxMap: "0",
"MaxDisks: "24"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asaf said:

Hi does TCRP M-shell support for whatever Synology model all at the same time

- Intel gen10 CPU

- LSI SCSI HBA

- NVMe read cache

- iGPU hardware acceleration 

It sounds like you want to use both transcoding and HBA. As of now, DS918+ is the only model. However, unlike Jun's loader whose HBA was used up to DSM 6.2.3, this model has a problem of not displaying the disk's serial information properly in S.M.A.R.T. If this part is used as a RAID, it can be fatal because the location to be replaced is determined by serial information when a bad disk is replaced. So if you are considering RAID, we recommend adding a SATA controller that supports AHCI instead of HBA and DS920+ or DS1520+ that supports automatic disk mapping. This symptom is also common with the redpill loader covered.

Edited by Peter Suh

5 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

It sounds like you want to use both transcoding and HBA. As of now, DS918+ is the only model. However, unlike Jun's loader whose HBA was used up to DSM 6.2.3, this model has a problem of not displaying the disk's serial information properly in S.M.A.R.T. If this part is used as a RAID, it can be fatal because the location to be replaced is determined by serial information when a bad disk is replaced. So if you are considering RAID, we recommend adding a SATA controller that supports AHCI instead of HBA and DS920+ or DS1520+ that supports automatic disk mapping. This symptom is also common with the redpill loader covered.

Thank you!

Can you advice on a compatible SATA controller with at least 4 SATA channels?

Or point me to a resource of some kind?

having an issue with ESXi and getting drives detected for new install. FRIEND doesn't detect the drive, but the previous method has a format error. I have several using normal tinycore with no issue at 7.0, was looking to update and see what new progress has made, this is the first time i'm trying m-shell. 

it's awesome so far, i'm sure it'll be great once i can get it going.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 1:30 PM, dimakv2014 said:

No R8168/R8169 nic extension found in latest loader v0.9.4.3-2

Usb nics on R8152 and R8153 as well as Asix don't help 

IMG_20230822_142906.jpg

IMG_20230822_142853.jpg

You need to connect your LAN cable to the internet via your R8168/R8169 network card.
Also you have to select/specify a Synology serial number and MAC address in the menu.

Edited by DSfuchs

6 hours ago, DSfuchs said:

You need to connect your LAN cable to the internet via your R8168/R8169 network card.
Also you have to select/specify a Synology serial number and MAC address in the menu.

Oh really, why didn't I think of that *being sarcastic* :)

of course Cable was in and I even tried 5 different router ports and rj45 cables, for some reason tcrp v0.9.4.9c and previous versions of M-Shell works fine)

as for Menu it doesn't boot up if cannot load NIC driver 

Edited by dimakv2014