XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

9 hours ago, pocopico said:

@fbelavenuto Since you went all the way and designed a whole new way of delivering extensions.   I was thinking about the modules.

Can we deliver the modules as a whole bundle of ~10MB each e.g. 4.4.180-geminilake.mods and then only enable or disable the loading ?  So with that module bundle and if its required by the hardware (similar to what we do with the auto detection of the hardware and extensions ) , on the fly load the modules.

9 hours ago, fbelavenuto said:

Good idea!! I'll leave it on the to-do list to study this idea for the future.

Having all available modules, enable and disable as needed would be amazing if you guys work that out. I think thats an excellent idea. (not that my opinion means much). 👍

• Like 2

For those that want to get it working on ProxMox.

Proxmox 7

Create VM 100

Guest OS Linux

Hard Disk SATA 1 100GB or whatever

CPU: 4 cores

8gb Ram

e1000 network

Download, extract and copy - https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl/releases/download/v0.1-alpha2/arpl-0.1-alpha2.img.zip

Copy .img to the location on proxmox below, I used filezilla

/mnt/pve/storage01/arpl.img

Shell on proxmox node

qm importdisk 100 /mnt/pve/storage01/arpl.img local

in the hardware settings, double-click and add as SATA Disk 0

Put the sata0 device in the first place in the boot order, activate it and start the VM.

• Like 1

acpi-cpufreq on

cat /proc/cpuinfo  |grep flags
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch intel_pt ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust smep erms mpx rdseed smap clflushopt sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 dtherm ida arat pln pts arch_capabilities

ls -ltr /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/* 2>/dev/null | wc -l

Edited by use-nas

2 hours ago, use-nas said:

cat /proc/cpuinfo  |grep flags
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch intel_pt ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust smep erms mpx rdseed smap clflushopt sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 dtherm ida arat pln pts arch_capabilities

The existence of /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/* defines whether the acpi_cpufreq will be enabled or not. 

You can choose the exclude it, but then if the service is not started the immediate shutdown on ip access issue might hit you.

Edited by pocopico

2 часа назад, pocopico сказал:

if the service is not started the immediate shutdown on ip access issue might hit you.

Asrock j3455-itx does not need any addons and drivers for 918+ and 920+, everything works without them, since the system is close to the original.

Edited by use-nas

2 minutes ago, use-nas said:

Asrock j3455-itx does not need any addons and drivers for 918+ and 920+, everything works without them, since the system is close to the original.

Then the validation for the acpi_cpufreq capability is wrong. I need to check it.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, use-nas said:

based on the below, the cpu does support speed step

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/95594/intel-celeron-processor-j3455-2m-cache-up-to-2-30-ghz/specifications.html

Maybe irrelevent

Edited by pocopico

3 hours ago, Green said:

Dell Precision T1700 i7-4790
Baremetal install DS-918+

Successful

7.1-42661 Update 3   Successful

Thank You

Only issue seems to be - Connection Failed
Everything else seems good

connection.png

this is intended to do that, so no issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ARPL worked beautifully on my baremental setup on 1037u motherboard which reportedly has 6 Sata ports but 2 of them are disabled by factory. Played with SataPortMap a bit with no luck (SataPortMap=1 installs but only sees 1 drive, SataPortMap=4 won't install). This just saved my day! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pigr8 said:

@fbelavenuto i'm trying the same on a ESXi test enviroment, it detects the mpt3sas but on reboot and dsm boot it shows disk 34 35 36 37 (with sdae sdaj disk numbering) ecc ecc, i tried adding cmdline such as sataportmap and diskidxmap but does not seem to work.

any idea?

I have no experience with ESXi but satamap diskidxmap have no affect on HBA cards. In Proxmox, my HBA shows drives immediately after any AHCI sata ports. In my personal system, and thanks to @flyride and @pocopico we established that Proxmox adds a phantom sata controller in Q35 mode, so I personally run my DS3622xs+ build as i440fx, with my HBA pci pass through and all my drives start at disk 1 now. In Q35 mode they would start at slot 3 or 5 (cant remember I think 3)... anyway, point is your hypervisor may be adding a phantom sata controller to the VM. Again, sorry I cant offer better advice since I have never used ESXi.

5 hours ago, phone guy said:

I have no experience with ESXi but satamap diskidxmap have no affect on HBA cards. In Proxmox, my HBA shows drives immediately after any AHCI sata ports. In my personal system, and thanks to @flyride and @pocopico we established that Proxmox adds a phantom sata controller in Q35 mode, so I personally run my DS3622xs+ build as i440fx, with my HBA pci pass through and all my drives start at disk 1 now. In Q35 mode they would start at slot 3 or 5 (cant remember I think 3)... anyway, point is your hypervisor may be adding a phantom sata controller to the VM. Again, sorry I cant offer better advice since I have never used ESXi.

No i dont think so, the same vm with a virtual disk as loader (tcrp) works just fine without any other changes, with arl i have this problem so must be something in the config that is not parsed right.. doing the hardware detection i finds the onboard virtual sata controller (where the arl loader is a 0:0 like tcrp) and the hba, so it adds mtp3sas correctly but then it freaks out on boot.

it's probably something to do with the virtual sata controller where the loader is.

7 hours ago, shadowcliffs said:

ARPL worked beautifully on my baremental setup on 1037u motherboard which reportedly has 6 Sata ports but 2 of them are disabled by factory. Played with SataPortMap a bit with no luck (SataPortMap=1 installs but only sees 1 drive, SataPortMap=4 won't install). This just saved my day! 

Just noticed that the CPU frequency shows up as 800 instead of the actual 1800. Did I miss any add-on? 

3 hours ago, pigr8 said:

No i dont think so, the same vm with a virtual disk as loader (tcrp) works just fine without any other changes, with arl i have this problem so must be something in the config that is not parsed right.. doing the hardware detection i finds the onboard virtual sata controller (where the arl loader is a 0:0 like tcrp) and the hba, so it adds mtp3sas correctly but then it freaks out on boot.

it's probably something to do with the virtual sata controller where the loader is.

In proxmox, I use usb loader (virtual usb loader) and boot usb from the redpill loader.  Maybe try usb load instead of sata load for your redpill/arpl loader. Then, with no virtual sata controllers, your passthrough hba should then be correct.

12 minutes ago, phone guy said:

In proxmox, I use usb loader (virtual usb loader) and boot usb from the redpill loader.  Maybe try usb load instead of sata load for your redpill/arpl loader. Then, with no virtual sata controllers, your passthrough hba should then be correct.

in ESXi you cannot use a virtual usb, you have to choose a virtual hdd (satadom implementation) or a real usb in passthough, i have to check if it's a viable solution.

I can install bare metal on two different systems however, on boths cases the SAS9300-8i does get recognized during the build but no drives attached to it are detected when installing DSM

Drives attached to onboard controller do get recognized ok

Any suggestions?

Edited by neonflx

Report here for successfully installed on ESXi 6.7 U3 and ESXi 7. 
 - DVA1622

- vm on ESXi, e100e NIC;

- arpl-0.2-alpha3.vmdk(converted to ESXi files); HDD 1 (sata0:0)
 - 2 virtual HDD on sata1:0 and sata1:1
 - During the config, only used "auto detect" the hardware
 - Used the 42661 update 1 pat file(350MB) for DSM installation

- Manual update the DSM to Update 3

Thanks for the great work! 

• Thanks 1