XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

as of testing some Weeks (!) getting ARPL to work with my HP ProLiant Microserver Gen 10 with AMD CPU and an Marvell 88SE9230 SATA Raid Controller,

i'm asking now:

Did anyone  got this device running with ARPL ? 

how can i add some additional modules to the loader build ?  (esp. Marvell RAid driver) 

thank you in advance...

HELP --- I downloaded the latest ARPL. When to install on MSI MPG760I and intel i5-12500 and it gets to the point of Booting the Kernel and just freezes and nothing happens. I can see i can no longer ping the system either so it is like the kernel panic and froze the system. Is there any way I can get log after a reboot that would help narrow down the problem? I've disabled the onboard Realtek Nic and have a simple intel Nic, I don't know if it is related to i915 drivers?

Any help is appreciated

BOOTING...
Model: DS923+
Build: 42962
Cmdline:
withefi console=ttyS0,115200n8 earlyprintk earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 root=/dev/md0 loglevel=15 log_buf_len=32M syno_hw_version=DS923+ netif_num=1 synoboot2 pid=0x5580 mac1=a0369fd77617 sn=2270TQRX9SE9B SMBusHddDynamicPower=1 vid=0x0781 elevator=elevator vender_format_version=2 syno_ttyS1=serial,0x2f8 syno_ttyS0=serial,0x3f8
IP: 192.168.1.80
Loading DSM kernel...
Booting...

Le 06/02/2024 à 07:07, xpe48 a dit :

HELP --- I downloaded the latest ARPL. When to install on MSI MPG760I and intel i5-12500 and it gets to the point of Booting the Kernel and just freezes and nothing happens. I can see i can no longer ping the system either so it is like the kernel panic and froze the system. Is there any way I can get log after a reboot that would help narrow down the problem? I've disabled the onboard Realtek Nic and have a simple intel Nic, I don't know if it is related to i915 drivers?

Any help is appreciated

BOOTING...
Model: DS923+
Build: 42962
Cmdline:
withefi console=ttyS0,115200n8 earlyprintk earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 root=/dev/md0 loglevel=15 log_buf_len=32M syno_hw_version=DS923+ netif_num=1 synoboot2 pid=0x5580 mac1=a0369fd77617 sn=2270TQRX9SE9B SMBusHddDynamicPower=1 vid=0x0781 elevator=elevator vender_format_version=2 syno_ttyS1=serial,0x2f8 syno_ttyS0=serial,0x3f8
IP: 192.168.1.80
Loading DSM kernel...
Booting...

Several choices you did could lower your chances to have the DSM booting:

- DS923+ is designed for AMD Ryzen R1600

- i915 driver (is for the iGPU not related to the NIC) to my knowledge the fork from 9th gen. driver is maximum for Intel Core 10th gen., so don't expect to exploit the UHD Graphics 770 (and as Synology most probably won't release anything for Gen. 11, 12, etc... as they go now with AMD). So forget about any transcoding, except with a Plex Pass subscription

- Your onboard NIC is Realtek RTL8125BG, not the best chipset in the 2,5Gb/s world, but at least it works on DS918+

Edited by mojojojotroi

27 minutes ago, mojojojotroi said:

Several choices you did could lower your chances to have the DSM booting:

- DS923+ is designed for AMD Ryzen R1600

- i915 driver (is for the iGPU not related to the NIC) to my knowledge the fork from 9th gen. driver is maximum for Intel Core 10th gen., so don't expect to exploit the UHD Graphics 770 (and as Synology most probably won't release anything for Gen. 11, 12, etc... as they go now with AMD). So forget about any transcoding, except with a Plex Pass subscription

- Your onboard NIC is Realtek RTL8125BG, not the best chipset in the 2,5Gb/s world, but at least it works on DS918+

Hi, I tried the DS923+ as well and it was the same result. It was mentioned the issue could be i915 but I'm not so sure that is the problem. Waiting for a new version of RR to be released with more debug to determine the exact issue. I disabled the onboard NIC, using an intel nic for testing, makes no difference either in the results with the crashing/kernel panic.

9 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Hello i have a very specific question. I only have Serial/Mac for Ds918 and always used intel but running into problems

Would it be possible to use this loader and use ds918+ on 7.1+ using a 5900x and b550 motherboard and use all 24 threads?

Are you looking for gpu hardware encoding?

Edited by cferra

9 minutes ago, cferra said:

Are you looking for hardware encoding?

not necessarily.. I like my DS918+ and Real Serial mac cuz of QC.  The only encoding i need is Synology photos to make the tiny images. My system has only been using software encoding lately, so i dont think i need it. There is no dev/dri anymore that i can find, but im on 7.2 so idk. I use serviio in a docker but i dont think that requires HW transcode either. Currently running TCRP FRIEND but i only do baremetal

SO answer -- No i dont need it. 

Is it possible if HW transcode not needed?

Edited by Captainfingerbang

1 час назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

Would it be possible to use this loader and use ds918+ on 7.1+ using a 5900x and b550 motherboard and use all 24 threads?

No! 8 CPU cores - maximum (see here) Do you 

58 минут назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

not necessarily.. I like my DS918+ and Real Serial mac cuz of QC.  The only encoding i need is Synology photos to make the tiny images. My system has only been using software encoding lately, so i dont think i need it. There is no dev/dri anymore that i can find, but im on 7.2 so idk. I use serviio in a docker but i dont think that requires HW transcode either.

Do you want to put a more powerful CPU? Try other model (DS3622 for example) and Arc loader with "Arc patch".

[add]: Another way to use excessive processor performance is virtualization. For example, how do I have ESXi + virtual machines: DSM, Windows, etc.

Edited by dj_nsk

1 hour ago, dj_nsk said:

No! 8 CPU cores - maximum (see here) Do you 

Do you want to put a more powerful CPU? Try other model (DS3622 for example) and Arc loader with "Arc patch".

[add]: Another way to use excessive processor performance is virtualization. For example, how do I have ESXi + virtual machines: DSM, Windows, etc.

yes more powerful cpu, but i want to use nvme for storage. can arc loader do this like TCRP FRIEND?   For the most cores i can use DS3622?

5 минут назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

yes more powerful cpu, but i want to use nvme for storage. can arc loader do this like TCRP FRIEND?   For the most cores i can use DS3622?

1. Yes. In Arc Loader you can use Addons (see in Wiki), for example:

nvmecache: Allow the User to create NVMe Cache on DS918+, DS419+, DS719+, DS1019+, DS1621xs+ and RS1619xs+
nvmevolume: Allow the User to create NVMe Storage Volume

2. Yes:

image.png.1e2c4c8586ef93cb8c838beaf815d6d5.png

Sorry if this was asked and answered previously. I did try to search, but don't know how to phrase the "search keyword" . bear with me if this has been asked.

I use ESXi 6.5 and ARC bootloader. The boot image is always taking up the first slot of the NAS leaving the NAS with one drive less visible. The boot image takes the SATA 0:0, the remainder take 0:1, 0:2 and so on. Is there a way to take the boot image from taking a SATA slot?

Thanks

7 часов назад, Grincher сказал:

I use ESXi 6.5 and ARC bootloader. The boot image is always taking up the first slot of the NAS leaving the NAS with one drive less visible. The boot image takes the SATA 0:0, the remainder take 0:1, 0:2 and so on. Is there a way to take the boot image from taking a SATA slot?

And what do you need it for? The bootloader disk should not be visible inside the DSM - what does it bother you with?

and this does not contradict the author's recommendations.

But if you really want to, you can add a second SATA-controller and connect all data disks to it.

4 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

And what do you need it for? The bootloader disk should not be visible inside the DSM - what does it bother you with?

and this does not contradict the author's recommendations.

But if you really want to, you can add a second SATA-controller and connect all data disks to it.

Thanks. Just cosmetic. When you click storage overview, it always shows an empty slot in the drive 1, which is equivalent to SATA 0:0. 

I guess, I will just live with it. 

1 час назад, Grincher сказал:

Thanks. Just cosmetic. When you click storage overview, it always shows an empty slot in the drive 1, which is equivalent to SATA 0:0. 

I guess, I will just live with it. 

Add a second SATA-controller in the virtual machine and switch all data disks to it (1:0, 1:1,...) - you will be happy :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

Add a second SATA-controller in the virtual machine and switch all data disks to it (1:0, 1:1,...) - you will be happy :)

Thanks. 

I managed to boot from a virtual USB instead of a SATA 0:0. That completely solved the problem and kind of neat. 

5 часов назад, vista1967 сказал:

Good morning,

I have a problem after updating arc loader latest version 24.2.12, everything went fine, but when I am in DSM 7.2.1 update 4 (rs2423+),

I can't start the control panel 🤔

Reboot DSM and select in first menu "DSM force Reinstall" (do not worry, only the system part of the DSM will be reinstalled, at startup you will answer that you need to save the packages and settings)

image.png.fe116852969c9399943d13cf1645dbb9.png

Well, in general, I advise you to read the WiKi from the author of the Arc Loader - he describes everything quite well, there are already answers to many questions there (a work that deserves great respect, thank you, Christian!).

Edited by dj_nsk
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 12:35 PM, Big_11 said:

Help needed...

Since Days (Weeks) i try to revive my HP ProLiant Microserver Gen10 (AMD and Marvell 88SE9230 Raid-Controller)

It had Jun's Loader DSM 6x (as 918+ with DSM 62.23739 but i broke it, trying to upgrade with ARPL (even with RPL) but without success since weeks!..

with  DSM Im coming to the point, where the box is recognized by the synology agent but not with ARPL !..
with DSM it starts to install the System up to 58% (you know?) than it stops with "Image may be corrupt {13}"

Does anybody know or has anybody the module for the Marvell 88SE9230 Raid-Controller ? 

or can give me help to re-install it with ARPL (even DSM) ?

Thank you in advance

I had the same problem with "Image may be corrupt" with my HP Gen10 microserver but I do not think that I habe a Raid Controller.

Last I tried, was 5 arround christmas 2023 with ARC and couldn't get the issue solved.

Did you find a way to use ARC with Gen8 microserver?

Can anybody help me?

When I search for the nas, more than 1 nas appears... And then it tells me that I have problems with disk 3 and 4. How can I solve it?

This is my hardware, I have hot plug activated, ic3 activated in cpu.

My hardware:

Asus P8H61-M LE R2.0

Cpu intel i5 2320

8gb ram

fa19c5c8f6c7fe5a69da80cf0421ee4e.png