XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

11 minutes ago, wjz304 said:

Would it be better as a backup? What do you think?

The software for simply writing disks on the PC side is already very rich

It would be nice if both backup/restore and simple new loader recording were possible.
I know that there are many disk utilities available on the PC side.
This feature was considered in terms of user convenience.

TCRP seems to be more free than the ttyd environment because Tinycore uses a separate kernel.
Is it possible to unmount a busy partition that is currently being used by the loader?
In the case of TCRP, the 3rd partition cannot be unmounted.
If only this were possible, backup and restore would be possible.

I bought an Intel N6005 board from TopTon on aliexpress, and installed Proxmox 8.0.3.

I have 2 VMs Synology and Home Assistant, both got 4 cores to maximise performance (4 core total).

I have 16gb ram, 8gb for Synology and 4gb for Home Assistant without ballooning, 4gb for proxmox.

Randomly I get this error message: Synology was shut down improperly and softreboot itself, Proxmox shows no errors.

Reinstalled Proxmox completely and tried to leave everything on default and even tried other Synology loaders and switched from 923+ to 920+ with the same error.
DSM shows nothing useful in error logs and same goes for Proxmox. :(

Read this topic that someone had similar problem with Intel N5005 but that was for Proxmox 7 (kernel 5.x) but Proxmox 8 has kernel 6.2 already, so I can't really update it.

The VM does not freeze but the DSM inside shuts down.

The CPU is around 55-60°C and 20-40% load because of Frigate in Home assistant, I also use Coral AI TPU in my NVME slot.

8559.png.7a5f16135855ad4878cdf334f3227ba4.png

8575.png.e02332d95b330041c73d1fc32fbff326.png

12 minutes ago, BullFrog said:

I bought an Intel N6005 board from TopTon on aliexpress, and installed Proxmox 8.0.3.

I have 2 VMs Synology and Home Assistant, both got 4 cores to maximise performance (4 core total).

I have 16gb ram, 8gb for Synology and 4gb for Home Assistant without ballooning, 4gb for proxmox.

Randomly I get this error message: Synology was shut down improperly and softreboot itself, Proxmox shows no errors.

Reinstalled Proxmox completely and tried to leave everything on default and even tried other Synology loaders and switched from 923+ to 920+ with the same error.
DSM shows nothing useful in error logs and same goes for Proxmox. :(

Read this topic that someone had similar problem with Intel N5005 but that was for Proxmox 7 (kernel 5.x) but Proxmox 8 has kernel 6.2 already, so I can't really update it.

The VM does not freeze but the DSM inside shuts down.

The CPU is around 55-60°C and 20-40% load because of Frigate in Home assistant, I also use Coral AI TPU in my NVME slot.

8559.png.7a5f16135855ad4878cdf334f3227ba4.png

8575.png.e02332d95b330041c73d1fc32fbff326.png

cpu used the host

image.png.bc6280c4ce9125c3d5c2e9016d425632.png

Edited by wjz304

15 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

It would be nice if both backup/restore and simple new loader recording were possible.
I know that there are many disk utilities available on the PC side.
This feature was considered in terms of user convenience.

TCRP seems to be more free than the ttyd environment because Tinycore uses a separate kernel.
Is it possible to unmount a busy partition that is currently being used by the loader?
In the case of TCRP, the 3rd partition cannot be unmounted.
If only this were possible, backup and restore would be possible.

It should be possible to uninstall, as long as you don't do any other operations after uninstalling, and restart directly after restore/backup.

@wjz304

please could you give me some values to try?
I tried and the disk is always seen as internal n17 or it is not detected as internal.
I would like to try to show it as n1, maybe it solves the dmesg problem that I attached before.
Thanks for your help

Edited by iancilos

26 minutes ago, iancilos said:

@wjz304

please could you give me some values to try?
I tried and the disk is always seen as internal n17 or it is not detected as internal.
I would like to try to show it as n1, maybe it solves the dmesg problem that I attached before.
Thanks for your help

Oh, sorry for my misunderstanding, you need to set DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap

Hi,

does your loader support also DELL Server with  4x6TB Seagate SAS Drives, as RAID5, PERC H710 Mini (Embedded) Raid Controller ?
I get "No Drives detected" issue.

image.thumb.png.b7b101b15c250a7d12d9d6ca44179c52.png

image.thumb.png.c596ea6fe2549127fa22b4a5db2ada35.png

image.thumb.png.b5c1684594c169aa8045d37729ea3f46.png

image.thumb.png.10e7c4e9c5cf32b799343236e3a7cb4a.png

I try it also with DS3622xs+ but unfortunatelly, I get the same issue.

Edited by ULSY

7 hours ago, ULSY said:

Hi,

does your loader support also DELL Server with  4x6TB Seagate SAS Drives, as RAID5, PERC H710 Mini (Embedded) Raid Controller ?
I get "No Drives detected" issue.

image.thumb.png.b7b101b15c250a7d12d9d6ca44179c52.png

image.thumb.png.c596ea6fe2549127fa22b4a5db2ada35.png

image.thumb.png.b5c1684594c169aa8045d37729ea3f46.png

image.thumb.png.10e7c4e9c5cf32b799343236e3a7cb4a.png

I try it also with DS3622xs+ but unfortunatelly, I get the same issue.

When I was having this issue it was due to the incorrect driver for my SAS card being called. See the thread in my signature for what I did - it's a bit out of date now but perhaps the device drivers are the issue for yours in the same way.

On 9/22/2023 at 8:19 AM, Peter Suh said:

I looked for more reviews of the x540-T2. At first, there were only failure reviews, but since then there have been more success stories. It is not clear whether everyone was successful in temporarily removing x540-T2. At the center of this problem is the proper maintenance of the ixgbe vanilla module built into DSM. The ixgbe module compiled by popopico must be excluded.

Peter my Supermicro board uses the x540-T2 and I have no problems with your loader. 

I'm curious - I wonder if the fellow I wrote to above this comment who has "No disks FOund" has the same problem I did where the incorrect ixgbe module was preventing the mpt3 module loading properly. 

I am requesting assistance with a problem.  How do I get all of my onboard SATA ports to not overlap/conflict with my HBA ports? 

Having all SATA drives connected to my HBA (LS9211-8i) when onboard SATA ports are enabled results in 2 drives not being visible in DSM.
It seems some of the ports overlap or conflict. 

I have been doing a lot of fiddling with the settings in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf  (maxdisks, esata, internalportcfg and USBportcfg). I don't seem to see any real changes when I alter these variables. 

I ran DMESG earlier today to see what ports are being recognised and to attempt to resolve this. 

I *think* I need to correct user_config.json but I do not understand the Diskid, portmap and other variables that I have seen mentioned around this topic. 

I'd be delighted if someone can explain a solution or offer some tuition/ a link to a tutorial. I've never quite got my head around it in the past.

dmesg.txt

1 hour ago, mgrobins said:

Peter my Supermicro board uses the x540-T2 and I have no problems with your loader. 

I'm curious - I wonder if the fellow I wrote to above this comment who has "No disks FOund" has the same problem I did where the incorrect ixgbe module was preventing the mpt3 module loading properly. 

It would be easier to explain if there was a sample of the /var/log/linuxrc.syno.log log file from Junior mode (DSM Pat file installation stage), which had this problem in the past.
Let me explain without it first.

In the case of TCRP, the steps of loading the device module *.ko file related to the device and loading other addons are processed at once.

If a problem occurs in even just one module or addon during this process, the processing process is stopped and an error code is returned.

If an error code is returned, it means that it has become difficult to proceed with normal installation in Junior mode.

Everything is logged in /var/log/linuxrc.syno.log.

If a problem occurs while loading the ixgbe.ko module as you asked, there is a possibility that the processing of the mpt3sas.ko module, which is processed in alphabetical order, has not progressed and stopped.

46 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

It would be easier to explain if there was a sample of the /var/log/linuxrc.syno.log log file from Junior mode (DSM Pat file installation stage), which had this problem in the past.
Let me explain without it first.

In the case of TCRP, the steps of loading the device module *.ko file related to the device and loading other addons are processed at once.

If a problem occurs in even just one module or addon during this process, the processing process is stopped and an error code is returned.

If an error code is returned, it means that it has become difficult to proceed with normal installation in Junior mode.

Everything is logged in /var/log/linuxrc.syno.log.

If a problem occurs while loading the ixgbe.ko module as you asked, there is a possibility that the processing of the mpt3sas.ko module, which is processed in alphabetical order, has not progressed and stopped.

That makes sense. I was thinking back to my initial effort working with you on my.sh where my drives were not found and we were suspicious that the mpt3sas was not loading properly (which it wasn't) and coincidentally ixgbe was not working and blocking it. 

I wondered if the person in this thread "Ulsy" may have the same issue with his HBA not showing his disks. 

50 minutes ago, mgrobins said:

That makes sense. I was thinking back to my initial effort working with you on my.sh where my drives were not found and we were suspicious that the mpt3sas was not loading properly (which it wasn't) and coincidentally ixgbe was not working and blocking it. 

I wondered if the person in this thread "Ulsy" may have the same issue with his HBA not showing his disks. 

DS3617xs (Broadwell, 10GbE option) and DS3622xs+ (Broadwellnk) include Intel 10Gb NIC in SYNO original hardware.

https://global.synologydownload.com/download/Document/Hardware/DataSheet/DiskStation/17-year/DS3617xs/enu/Synology_DS3617xs_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS3622xs+#specs

In order to operate this correctly, there is already a built-in ixgbe.ko.
This module is called vanilla.
There is a separate ixgbe.ko developed separately by Redpill.
Overriding the vanilla module and using this module instead will cause problems.

So, when creating an integrated pack for the two platforms, Broadwell and Broadwellnk, I overwrite the existing Redpill module with this vanilla module.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/arpl-modules/tree/main/vanilla/broadwell-4.4.302
https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/arpl-modules/tree/main/vanilla/broadwellnk-4.4.302

I discussed this with @wjz304 quite a while ago.
So, I emphasized that this is something that must be applied to ARPL-i18n.

If you extract ixgbe.ko from my module integration pack, it is a vanilla module.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/arpl-modules/releases/tag/v1.61
If ixgbe.ko extracted from ARPL's module integration pack is also a vanilla module, the size must be the same.

https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-modules/releases/tag/23.9.5

The first person to guide how to handle it this way was @fbelavenuto, the owner of this topic and the founder of ARPL.

p.s: I have now extracted and compared the size of Broadwell-4.4.302's ixgbe.ko, which is 415,667 bytes, which is the same for both.
I think we need to look for the cause again.
To check the log in ARPL, don't you need to add the dgbutils addon separately?

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

DS3617xs (Broadwell, 10GbE option) and DS3622xs+ (Broadwellnk) include Intel 10Gb NIC in SYNO original hardware.

https://global.synologydownload.com/download/Document/Hardware/DataSheet/DiskStation/17-year/DS3617xs/enu/Synology_DS3617xs_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS3622xs+#specs

In order to operate this correctly, there is already a built-in ixgbe.ko.
This module is called vanilla.
There is a separate ixgbe.ko developed separately by Redpill.
Overriding the vanilla module and using this module instead will cause problems.

So, when creating an integrated pack for the two platforms, Broadwell and Broadwellnk, I overwrite the existing Redpill module with this vanilla module.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/arpl-modules/tree/main/vanilla/broadwell-4.4.302
https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/arpl-modules/tree/main/vanilla/broadwellnk-4.4.302

I discussed this with @wjz304 quite a while ago.
So, I emphasized that this is something that must be applied to ARPL-i18n.

If you extract ixgbe.ko from my module integration pack, it is a vanilla module.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/arpl-modules/releases/tag/v1.61
If ixgbe.ko extracted from ARPL's module integration pack is also a vanilla module, the size must be the same.

https://github.com/wjz304/arpl-modules/releases/tag/23.9.5

The first person to guide how to handle it this way was @fbelavenuto, the owner of this topic and the founder of ARPL.

p.s: I have now extracted and compared the size of Broadwell-4.4.302's ixgbe.ko, which is 415,667 bytes, which is the same for both.
I think we need to look for the cause again.
To check the log in ARPL, don't you need to add the dgbutils addon separately?

A nice summary :).

I'm not having any issues with my machine - I had been attempting to offer some direction to the person posting up above with "No disks Found" :). 

My sole project for now is to try and get my SATA controller and LSI HBA to work together with no port conflicts.

On 8/18/2023 at 3:50 PM, Uuugh said:

Solved. My posts feel like SPAM now. I'll wrap up the corrected script and instructions, upload to GitHub, and paste a link in a new post. Hopefully this will help anyone using DSM7 with a Lenovo LS120 DAS.

Dear Moderator. Feel free to delete these three posts and I will repost a solution.

Thanks 

I updated the script and installation instructions in the original repo. https://github.com/ParkWardRR/Synology-Lenovo-SA120-Fanspeed

I use xpenology since 2012, so i have a good skill. Last few months tried many more loaders, but finally ARC loader wins, it deals a wide range of addons, modules, functions, setting is very easy and fast, author update it frequently. I changed at july my hardware to a topton n1 pro mini nas server,  installed that loader, and then works good. Just checked cpu frequencies, tried cpu scaling, but unfortulately get significant lower points, so just untick cpu freq scaling option, and rebuild loader. Nothing happens, so  burn loader again, untick cpu freq scaling, but unfortunately that method doesn't work, frequency scaling works at me. Completely erased hdd, burn image again, copied back saved data, and then works good. 

At september sell my server, and buy same one again,  unfortunately i forgot untick (or ticked it) cpu frequency scaling option, and then it works again, but my geekbench points same low as earlier. 

Format boot flash drive, rebuild loader without cpu frequency scaling, boot, and that option working again and again. 

It's a ryzen5-5500u 6 core 12 thread CPU, differente between two state is only 2 watts. 

How can i completely delete it? 

before cpuscaler.jpg

after cpuscaler.jpg

gbench.jpg

On 10/20/2023 at 1:50 PM, Rick4 said:

I use xpenology since 2012, so i have a good skill. Last few months tried many more loaders, but finally ARC loader wins, it deals a wide range of addons, modules, functions, setting is very easy and fast, author update it frequently. I changed at july my hardware to a topton n1 pro mini nas server,  installed that loader, and then works good. Just checked cpu frequencies, tried cpu scaling, but unfortulately get significant lower points, so just untick cpu freq scaling option, and rebuild loader. Nothing happens, so  burn loader again, untick cpu freq scaling, but unfortunately that method doesn't work, frequency scaling works at me. Completely erased hdd, burn image again, copied back saved data, and then works good. 

At september sell my server, and buy same one again,  unfortunately i forgot untick (or ticked it) cpu frequency scaling option, and then it works again, but my geekbench points same low as earlier. 

Format boot flash drive, rebuild loader without cpu frequency scaling, boot, and that option working again and again. 

It's a ryzen5-5500u 6 core 12 thread CPU, differente between two state is only 2 watts. 

How can i completely delete it? 

before cpuscaler.jpg

after cpuscaler.jpg

gbench.jpg

So i got informations from ARC deveroper himself, simply boot to arc loader, and choose force reinstall dsm. All cpuscaling "features" gone, but other data remains, it works good.   

1026ok.jpg

Edited by Rick4