XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader Build Support Tool ( M-Shell )

Peter Suh

3 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Currently, I am on vacation, so the test is difficult, but I have finished distributing the new version. There have been reports of missing discs on some DT-based models.

ENJOY YOUR REST AND RELAXATION!  I hope it's somewhere AMAZING!  Forget about everything here in the meantime, free your mind! 🥳

Edited by gericb
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 4:52 AM, maxime said:

Hi! If I would like to upgrade my DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 (friend with M-Shell) to DSM 7.2.0-64561, I have to rebuild the loader and make a "migration" from the old DSM (importing data and configuration), or is there a easier way to do it? Thanks for support!

On 6/3/2023 at 2:37 AM, shibby said:

a second ago i upgraded DSM from 7.1.1 U5 to 7.2. All i have to do was upgrade M-Shell scripts and re-build the loader. All works fine. Thanks for your work!

obraz.thumb.png.74f56752f0fbdc184f8f101a23b76ce7.png

I started clean a month ago and installed tinycore-redpill v0.9.4.3-2 when 7.2.0-64551 (https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-load/tree/master/config/DS3622xs%2B/7.2.0-64551) was latest.

I would like to update to most latest 7.2.0-64570 (https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-load/tree/master/config/DS3622xs%2B/7.2.0-64570). 

Can I simply use the GUI to update to 64551.pat, or do I need do something special like "upgrade M-shell scripts" or "rebuild the loader" as quoted by others?  

I searched this thread and I assumed that upon a reboot, scripts & loader are updated automatically. Please confirm if my assumption is wrong.

Appreciate any pointer to a post with instructions or steps needed to upgrade before installing the latest .pat.

Many thanks! 

38 minutes ago, twoheaded0304 said:

I started clean a month ago and installed tinycore-redpill v0.9.4.3-2 when 7.2.0-64551 (https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-load/tree/master/config/DS3622xs%2B/7.2.0-64551) was latest.

I would like to update to most latest 7.2.0-64570 (https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-load/tree/master/config/DS3622xs%2B/7.2.0-64570). 

Can I simply use the GUI to update to 64551.pat, or do I need do something special like "upgrade M-shell scripts" or "rebuild the loader" as quoted by others?  

I searched this thread and I assumed that upon a reboot, scripts & loader are updated automatically. Please confirm if my assumption is wrong.

Appreciate any pointer to a post with instructions or steps needed to upgrade before installing the latest .pat.

Many thanks! 

Using either of the two methods related to the processing order, you can reach the goal of normal final version operation. Don't worry. Both methods require a rebuild of tcrp.

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

Using either of the two methods related to the processing order, you can reach the goal of normal final version operation. Don't worry. Both methods require a rebuild of tcrp.

I searched and couldn't find the instructions to rebuild or update the scripts to latest.  Please point me to a post or steps required to manually update. 

Thanks for your help!

5 hours ago, twoheaded0304 said:

I searched and couldn't find the instructions to rebuild or update the scripts to latest.  Please point me to a post or steps required to manually update. 

Thanks for your help!

I haven't thought about it because it's so simple and easy and I don't really need a guide.
1. In the GNU GRUB boot menu, select the second "Tiny Core Image Build" again by moving the arrow keys on the keyboard to rebuild the TCRP M SHELL loader.
2. Rebuild the loader without touching any menu and selecting only "Build TCRP 7.2.0-64570 Loader". (reboot after that)
3. When accessing port 5000 in a web browser, the DSM migration screen is automatically displayed.

• Like 2

\

30 минут назад, Peter Suh сказал:

Which syno model did you apply? Each syno model has a different way to enable NVMe cache.

I've applied ds920+. in previously installed DSM I used manually created storage pool on this device, and there was any issue with this.

22 minutes ago, maqros said:

\

I've applied ds920+. in previously installed DSM I used manually created storage pool on this device, and there was any issue with this.

The KB below is an example of a SAS disk, but I would like to do a preliminary investigation because it seems to be applicable to NVMe cache as well.

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/Allocation_status_not_supported_by_DSM_version_DSMUC

In case "/run/synostorage/disks/nvme0n1" is under
Does the "sys_not_support" file exist?

And please check this out as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/134ymtl/dsm_72_rc2_nvme_raid_1_unsupported/

M SHELL has already made it possible to adjust the NVME cache patch related to this, but the adjustment may have failed.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/blob/main/nvme-cache/src/nvme-cache.sh#L87

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

14 минут назад, Peter Suh сказал:

The KB below is an example of a SAS disk, but I would like to do a preliminary investigation because it seems to be applicable to NVMe cache as well.

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/Allocation_status_not_supported_by_DSM_version_DSMUC

In case "/run/synostorage/disks/nvme0n1" is under
Does the "sys_not_support" file exist?

And please check this out as well.
M SHELL has already made it possible to adjust the NVME cache patch related to this, but the adjustment may have failed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/134ymtl/dsm_72_rc2_nvme_raid_1_unsupported/

Thanks alot. /usr/syno/bin/synosetkeyvalue /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf support_m2_pool yes  this helped me. Now I see my RAID device healthy and all the data came back.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, maqros said:

Thanks alot. /usr/syno/bin/synosetkeyvalue /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf support_m2_pool yes  this helped me. Now I see my RAID device healthy and all the data came back.

Until now, NVMe-cache in M SHELL has been selectively applying models.
Among them, DS920+ based on Device-Tree are all missing.

I just applied the NVMe-cache enable script to all models starting from DSM 7.2.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/blob/main/nvme-cache/rpext-index.json

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/commit/2be476b3076fec7c864cb6f464bf9682ae2963ec

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I haven't thought about it because it's so simple and easy and I don't really need a guide.
1. In the GNU GRUB boot menu, select the second "Tiny Core Image Build" again by moving the arrow keys on the keyboard to rebuild the TCRP M SHELL loader.
2. Rebuild the loader without touching any menu and selecting only "Build TCRP 7.2.0-64570 Loader". (reboot after that)
3. When accessing port 5000 in a web browser, the DSM migration screen is automatically displayed.

Thanks Peter for taking time to help a noob! 

My xpenology system is in a closet with no display/keyboard/mouse attached. Just curious if there a way to do these types of actions remotely without needing to physically attach monitor/keyboard? 

Thanks for all the work you do!

Edited by twoheaded0304
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, twoheaded0304 said:

Thanks Peter for taking time to help a noob! 

My xpenology system is in a closet with no display/keyboard/mouse attached. Just curious if there a way to do these types of actions remotely without needing to physically attach monitor/keyboard? 

Thanks for all the work you do!

1. You can make it possible to change the GNU GRUB boot order by manually executing "RebootToTcrp" of the custom task scheduler

as shown below without using a physical keyboard.
    After this execution, the GNU GRUB boot menu automatically enters "Tiny Core Image Build".

(This function is provided only when using the latest version of M SHELL.)

2.TCRP You must be able to access SSH to Linux.
   The IP address is usually the same as the first IP assigned to DSM when using a real MAC address.
   For more secure processing, please assign the above real MAC address and static IP to the router.

3. Connect to TCRP Linux with the information below through the SSH tool.
    userid : tc
    password : P@ssw0rd

4. Run ./menu.sh to rebuild the loader.

2023-06-1211_40_39.thumb.png.ae540d35a7bbc63b32b6c5464e10b5d1.png2023-06-1211_40_57.thumb.png.e94929f3172112ca9bb56bf68d6af4e1.png2023-06-1211_50_05.thumb.png.7da0b2c7b6d28d617e55fdb9431a6de9.png

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

If RebootToTcrp doesn't show up in Task Scheduler on your DSM
You can register this scheduler separately with the command below.

sudo -i
curl -kLO https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/raw/main/reboottotcrp/installondsm.sh
chmod +x installondsm.sh
./installondsm.sh

• Like 1

Hello Peter,

First thank you very much for the M-Sheel tool for the TCRP loader compiling tool: it makes thing much easier to me !

I recently replaced my J4105 motherboard with a Aorus B450 ITX and a Ryzen Pro 4650GE. Doing so, I also switched to a DS923+ configuration: I am currently running DSM 7.2-64570 very nicely.

I installed a 2.5 Gbits network RTL 8125b double ports card using the M2 NVME interface of my board(https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004688409727.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.1395YGbtYGbt5k&algo_pvid=559ecf0c-d415-4278-a82c-47d03db1f5de&algo_exp_id=559ecf0c-d415-4278-a82c-47d03db1f5de-3&pdp_npi=3%40dis!EUR!53.55!42.84!!!!!%40214527fd16865706285884997d07b7!12000030105850507!sea!FR!721471133&curPageLogUid=fP9GXQw6x8HG)

The only thing that does not work is WOL: I activated this option in the motherboard's Bios (but I guess that it did not take my network card into account). I also noticed that the "powersched" service was not installed during loader compiling. Do you have any piece of advice ?

Thank you again for your support.

Best regards

1 hour ago, pkdick1 said:

Hello Peter,

First thank you very much for the M-Sheel tool for the TCRP loader compiling tool: it makes thing much easier to me !

I recently replaced my J4105 motherboard with a Aorus B450 ITX and a Ryzen Pro 4650GE. Doing so, I also switched to a DS923+ configuration: I am currently running DSM 7.2-64570 very nicely.

I installed a 2.5 Gbits network RTL 8125b double ports card using the M2 NVME interface of my board(https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004688409727.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.1395YGbtYGbt5k&algo_pvid=559ecf0c-d415-4278-a82c-47d03db1f5de&algo_exp_id=559ecf0c-d415-4278-a82c-47d03db1f5de-3&pdp_npi=3%40dis!EUR!53.55!42.84!!!!!%40214527fd16865706285884997d07b7!12000030105850507!sea!FR!721471133&curPageLogUid=fP9GXQw6x8HG)

The only thing that does not work is WOL: I activated this option in the motherboard's Bios (but I guess that it did not take my network card into account). I also noticed that the "powersched" service was not installed during loader compiling. Do you have any piece of advice ?

Thank you again for your support.

Best regards

Unfortunately, the product description does not say that WOL is supported anywhere.

2023-06-1210_42_41.thumb.png.cf15b7c584e043e6667dbeaea763bca5.png

Also, check the following settings in DSM once more.

2023-06-1210_40_26.thumb.png.22e55e22fd56852c640d2e8a43120f4e.png

DS923+ supports powersched.
However, in 7.1.1, rtc-cmos.ko had a compatibility problem reported, and at that time, the test was successful by replacing it with a module of v1000.
I will test again in an environment where WOL and powersched work well to see if the same phenomenon exists in 7.2.
But your new 2.5G M.2 type dual nic may not be guaranteed to work.
Is there no nic to replace this nic?

2 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Unfortunately, the product description does not say that WOL is supported anywhere.

However, in 7.1.1, rtc-cmos.ko had a compatibility problem reported, and at that time, the test was successful by replacing it with a module of v1000.
I will test again in an environment where WOL and powersched work well to see if the same phenomenon exists in 7.2.

I read the manual again. Although there is no direct word WOL, the following two contents seem to be related to WOL.

16. Supports 32-set 128-byte Wake-Up Frame pattern exact matching
17. Supports Microsoft WPI (Wake Packet Indication)

6 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

I hope you will solve your WOL problem, but if you can't, you could use this workaround: using a Smart Plug (like this https://a.co/d/cO3gecV), you can switch on your server remotely, and you can have consumption statistics, too. I know it's a last and not professional possibility, but it can be considered.

il y a 46 minutes, Peter Suh a dit :

I read the manual again. Although there is no direct word WOL, the following two contents seem to be related to WOL.

Hello,

I agree but I could not imagine that a network card would not support WOL ☹️. When I look DSM settings, I have exactly  the same as what you shown. Moreover when I program a shutdown, it works: it only the startup that is not working...

il y a 31 minutes, maxime a dit :

I hope you will solve your WOL problem, but if you can't, you could use this workaround: using a Smart Plug (like this https://a.co/d/cO3gecV), you can switch on your server remotely, and you can have consumption statistics, too. I know it's a last and not professional possibility, but it can be considered.

I am not sure I understand what you are proposing: my NAS always stays plugged on the power. Do you mean that after shutdown, "creating" a fake "power disconnection" and reconnection would lead to a startup for the NAS?

il y a 57 minutes, Peter Suh a dit :

One more information: when I program a shutdown/startup of my NAS, I got an error message like "settings not saved": but the shutdown works then... Thank you in advance

7 minutes ago, pkdick1 said:

One more information: when I program a shutdown/startup of my NAS, I got an error message like "settings not saved": but the shutdown works then... Thank you in advance

WoL will work for Network Cards that support it, mainly onboard cards. You can try if you have a setting on BIOS for power on by PCI-E ? Like : 

image.png.b781fa8559cab8fc47a0a8b39771d943.png

Does your network card link stay on during power off ? 

Edited by pocopico

il y a 1 minute, pocopico a dit :

WoL will work for Network Cards that support it, mainly onboard cards. You can try if you have a setting on BIOS for power on by PCI-E ? Like : 

image.png.b781fa8559cab8fc47a0a8b39771d943.png

Does your network card link stay on during power off ? 

Hello Pocopico,

I guess that my configuration may be not correct: as I told Peter, I bought a network card connected to may mainboard using the M.2 NVME slot (so I could use my PCIE slot for another purpose). There is however a "third" network plug available (1 Gbit) on my motherboard: I will connect it to check whether or not it works then.

13 minutes ago, pkdick1 said:

I am not sure I understand what you are proposing: my NAS always stays plugged on the power. Do you mean that after shutdown, "creating" a fake "power disconnection" and reconnection would lead to a startup for the NAS?

Yes! If you need WOL, it means that your system, for any reason, is powered off. If you can't use WOL (f.e. because your NIC doesn't support it), and you have a Smart Plug connect to your server, you can power off and then power on the smart plug. This operation will turn on your server.
Obviously you must first set your Mainboard's bios for auto-start after a power disconnection. 

il y a 41 minutes, pkdick1 a dit :

Hello Pocopico,

I guess that my configuration may be not correct: as I told Peter, I bought a network card connected to may mainboard using the M.2 NVME slot (so I could use my PCIE slot for another purpose). There is however a "third" network plug available (1 Gbit) on my motherboard: I will connect it to check whether or not it works then.

I tried two times to "wake" my NAS using the internal network (WOL OK in the bios) without success... No clue why 😪