XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

Just wanted to say thanks you all for the help 

just in case any one is trying to do the same thing with the HP n40l think it will also work with the n54l

i installed ULANSEN PCI-E to USB 3.0 Type C +3 Type A Expansion Card - Interface USB 3.0 4-Port Express Card and the UPS was seen starlight away

i am still on the arpl loader but i take it with this card as its a lot faster than the onboard USB Peter Sue s loader should work 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2023 at 1:37 PM, Peter Suh said:

Wow! Thank you so much for this Peter. This worked first time. I have spent the last three days trying all the other ones I could find. Must have attempted it over 50 times. There was absolutely nothing different that I could tell. I'm on update 3 actually. Now wondering if I should push my luck and try and my real server (gen8 microserver). 

• Like 1

Hello :)

Hope you may help me

When my computer start up, there are not auto boot / auto selection of TINYCORE bootloader, i'm alway need to presse ENTER on keyboard...

How may i get auto start from  ? 

Editing the GRUB ? add what ?

thanks you very much

13 hours ago, blue max said:

Wow! Thank you so much for this Peter. This worked first time. I have spent the last three days trying all the other ones I could find. Must have attempted it over 50 times. There was absolutely nothing different that I could tell. I'm on update 3 actually. Now wondering if I should push my luck and try and my real server (gen8 microserver). 

have just done my gen 8 using the i18n and the same settings as the n40l and its booted 1st time and running great

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @Peter Suh

I have an HP MicroServer GEN8 with a Xeon and I plan on adding a SAS Controller and 4x Seagate 16TB EXOS 12Gbps drives. What controller will work for this, and must it be in IT Mode or does not matter?

Also what Model must i select for this please.

Also is there a new guide on how to upgrade / install to the latest version please.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Vodka2014 said:

Hi @Peter Suh

I have an HP MicroServer GEN8 with a Xeon and I plan on adding a SAS Controller and 4x Seagate 16TB EXOS 12Gbps drives. What controller will work for this, and must it be in IT Mode or does not matter?

Also what Model must i select for this please.

Also is there a new guide on how to upgrade / install to the latest version please.

Thanks

If the specifications of GEN8 are as listed in the guide below

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/c04123182

Corresponds to Intel 3rd generation CPU, requires Intel 4th generation or higher
Avoid models based on the Apollo Lake, Gemini Lake, or Denverton platforms.

I'm not sure the HBA really needs IT.

SAS controller "HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller"
The linux module name for is hpvsa.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03773207&docLocale=en_US

As a result of searching for hpvsa, it seems that the module for redpill has not been developed yet.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/arpl-modules/tree/main/broadwellnk-4.4.302

However, hpsa exists.

In order to check if hpsa can support B120i, please tell us the VID:PID value of the corresponding controller with the command below.

lspci -nn

5 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

If the specifications of GEN8 are as listed in the guide below

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/c04123182

Corresponds to Intel 3rd generation CPU, requires Intel 4th generation or higher
Avoid models based on the Apollo Lake, Gemini Lake, or Denverton platforms.

I'm not sure the HBA really needs IT.

SAS controller "HPE Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller"
The linux module name for is hpvsa.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03773207&docLocale=en_US

As a result of searching for hpvsa, it seems that the module for redpill has not been developed yet.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/arpl-modules/tree/main/broadwellnk-4.4.302

However, hpsa exists.

In order to check if hpsa can support B120i, please tell us the VID:PID value of the corresponding controller with the command below.

lspci -nn

Thanks but that controller is SATA not SAS. It is working with my SATA Disks. Now i want to disable it and use an SAS Controller Card to support 16TB Seagate EXOS Disks. 

I am using DS3622xs+ right now just want to make sure it is still correct as i am going to re-do this whole setup.

Thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:
Hi @Peter Suh

What other Model do you recommend for the server

Thanks

Model DS3622xs+ is the best choice for HBA. Why should you get rid of the well-behaved SATA controller and use a different one? You never know what variables will appear if you change controllers. And, I'm afraid you and another long relay will start a question-and-answer. I don't want this kind of support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Peter Suh

5 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Model DS3622xs+ is the best choice for HBA. Why should you get rid of the well-behaved SATA controller and use a different one? You never know what variables will appear if you change controllers. And, I'm afraid you and another long relay will start a question-and-answer. I don't want this kind of support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Peter Suh 

All good will post on the other forum and I fully understand :).

Can you maybe please point me to the new Install Guide so i can upgrade my system to the last 7.2.

Thanks again

Edited by Vodka2014

53 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

Hi @Peter Suh 

All good will post on the other forum and I fully understand :).

Can you maybe please point me to the new Install Guide so i can upgrade my system to the last 7.2.

Thanks again

In fact, there were requests from users to create a new guide,

There's nothing complicated enough to make it a guide.

In this request, "I am a beginner, so I really need this guide!" The request is also a bit far-fetched.

Proceed to build the TCRP loader again for 7.2 and you're done.

There is absolutely nothing difficult.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

In fact, there were requests from users to create a new guide,

There's nothing complicated enough to make it a guide.

In this request, "I am a beginner, so I really need this guide!" The request is also a bit far-fetched.

Proceed to build the TCRP loader again for 7.2 and you're done.

There is absolutely nothing difficult.

Hi @Peter Suh

I have some good news.

I tested the new version my test rig with my LSI 4 Port 6GB/s SAS HBA in IT Mode.

It upgraded, & it fixed 2 disk issues where they were failed and now online. So am very happy this all works. Thanks again :)

Oh 1 thing i have noticed is that it only shows 16GB RAM when i have 32GB RAM installed & it is on DSM 7.2-64570 Update 1

Thanks

Edited by Vodka2014
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have successfully been running DSM 7.1 on VMware using this guide with RedPill TinyCore.  Thanks to many of you for all your contributions. 

BUT I cannot install the advanced media extension from synology package center (if failed due to invalid serial number when attempted).

1. How do I change the serial number of this DSM VM I installed using TinyCore (I chose the serial gen option) running on VMWare to a legit Synology serial # I own?
  2. If the above is successful, would this new VM conflict with my legit syno box sharing the same serial #, which is also in production?
  3. Or is there a way to manually download and install the advanced media extension?
  4. Or since I do own a syno box, can I ssh into that box and extract the advanced media extension install files then install it on this VM somehow using TinyCore, has someone done this (instructions pls)?

Again, many thanks to many of you.

Edited by FluidTech
Typo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just want to make people  aware I found a weird bug and I don´t know if this applies to everyone. But I have a Dell r720xd and DS4021 setup ond the first 2 slots always shows empty which is normal for me but it is full of drives. But basically I lost a drive when I rebooted with a thumb drive plugged in and it showed only 7 out of 8 seagate drives and was worried that the drive failed but then noticed that DSM was recognizing and mounted the thumb drive when before it was complaining about not being able to mount the disk also it wasn´t from what I could tell showing up in disk manager. Then I decided to remove the thumb drive and rebooted and the 8th hard drive reappeared now its rebuilding but the drive is 100 percent healthy.

7 minutes ago, sb0519 said:

I just want to make people  aware I found a weird bug and I don´t know if this applies to everyone. But I have a Dell r720xd and DS4021 setup ond the first 2 slots always shows empty which is normal for me but it is full of drives. But basically I lost a drive when I rebooted with a thumb drive plugged in and it showed only 7 out of 8 seagate drives and was worried that the drive failed but then noticed that DSM was recognizing and mounted the thumb drive when before it was complaining about not being able to mount the disk also it wasn´t from what I could tell showing up in disk manager. Then I decided to remove the thumb drive and rebooted and the 8th hard drive reappeared now its rebuilding but the drive is 100 percent healthy.

It seems that HBA is being used in Dell r720xd.
DS4021xs+ is based on the same Broadwellnk platform as DS3622xs+.

These are the settings from flyride recommended for HBA.

If you use TCRP-mshell, we recommend DDSML rather than EUDEV.

With the settings below, disks will appear starting from storage bay 0.

"SataPortMap": "12",
"DiskIdxMap": "1000",
"SasIdxMap: "0"

"MaxDisks: "24"

Edited by Peter Suh

9 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

It seems that HBA is being used in Dell r720xd.
DS4021xs+ is based on the same Broadwellnk platform as DS3622xs+.

These are the settings from flyride recommended for HBA.

If you use TCRP-mshell, we recommend DDSML rather than EUDEV.

With the settings below, disks will appear starting from storage bay 0.

"SataPortMap": "12",
"DiskIdxMap": "1000",
"SasIdxMap: "0"

"MaxDisks: "24"

Hello thank you for this information I have a friend with the same server and I will be setting up the same way I will test your suggestion on a clean slate and then do it for my setup. After a full backup of course.