XPEnology Community

i915.ko backported driver for intel 10th gen (DS918+ ver 7.0.1 up3)

47 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

So, if you haven't already built a loader for 7.2, please do so now.

Or My M SHELL for TCRP could be an alternative if you're thinking of giving it a try as a loader.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.4.3-2

I mean I do rebuild my loader before update to DSM7.2

I can boot into the new DSM 7.2

But as long as i replace the i915.ko and rebboot. it will shutdown itself right after it boot.

I think the loader is OK

could be i915.ko issue?

or do you mean the i915.ko shoud be the same using in DS920+ with DSM 7.1.1 ?

Edited by EnixSpike

14 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

So, if you haven't already built a loader for 7.2, please do so now.

Or My M SHELL for TCRP could be an alternative if you're thinking of giving it a try as a loader.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.4.3-2

update:

I find a way to manually modify the DS920+ DSM7.2 officail  i195.ko

and replace the officail one with the modify one.

Now every thing works just fine. 

Thanks guy.

sys info.png

ssh info.png

Edited by EnixSpike
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

hey guys, who can tell me how to drive i915 on dsm 7.2.0? my cpu is i3-10100 and mb is asrock z490m-ITX/AC ,
try export i915.ko , use winhex change something to CB9B and delete sign . after reboot , i can see card0 and card128 by `ls /dev/dri` but ` 

cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_frequency_info `  something seems wrong , all freq is 0MHZ , ds920 7.0.1、ds920 7.1.1 、ds920 7.2.0 all is this case , but use author‘s patch ,i can drive it in ds920 7.0.1, but 7.1.0 \7.1.1\7.2.0 unable drive i915

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 4:04 PM, dj_nsk said:

I don't know, I did it by simple copying, without using a loader. 

Perhaps such a patch is no longer suitable for the 10th generation

[add]: I made test patches for DS918+ and DS920+ 7.2-64561 CPU IDs: 

0x3E98
0x9BC5
0x9BC8
0x4C8A
0x4C8B
0x9A49
0x9A68
0x9BA8

who can test at least one of the 10-11 Gen CPUs on a test machine?

I want to test it but I have this processor:

16 x 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12650H (1 Socket). Can you make me a patch to for DSM latest 7.2 version? Within Proxmox the integrated CPU graf are passing trough to this VM. Installed the ds920+. What do you need from me to make it work? :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm finally posting it here as everything that I tested has failed.

on a Dell Optiplex 5080, with i5-10600 CPU (HD 630, id 9BC8), I tried everything and failed miserably each time.

on the latest 7.2 update 3 with DS920+ selected in Arc loader, I cannot get the hardware acceleration.

The same happens whichever loader I use

Here's what I did:

• Nothing done: boots normally, but no hardware acceleration
  • using the i915 add-on that ARC loader offers: no hardware acceleration.
    • The addon script seems sophisticated, though upon inspecting the patched file it seems that the patch isn't patching it (leaves the 92 3E).
    • A remaining file from the patch, i915.k in the modules directory, has the proper C8 9B, but upon renaming it: Blank screen
  • Manually edit the file, changing the 3E92 for 9BC8 (92 3E for C8 9B) and removing the end of the file : Blank screen (following this tutorial)
  • getting the Python script from that page: blank screen
  • Following this tutorial, using a tool (step 12) that was made for patching the i915 file easily: the PC shuts off by itself upon reaching to loading the file

Blank screen means that after the system loads the i915 driver, the loader screen goes blank and nothing else happens, non-reachable through the IP, no SSH, no ping, etc.

So, what should I do now... What am I missing ?

Thanks for your help, I'm puzzled

Edited by Optiplex_Fan
typo

В 7/31/2023 в 2:44 AM, Hjalmar сказал:

@dj_nsk

16 x 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12650H (1 Socket). Can you make me a patch to for DSM latest 7.2 version? Within Proxmox the integrated CPU graf are passing trough to this VM. Installed the ds920+. What do you need from me to make it work?

It looks like a simple method of code substitution in i915.ko stopped working - see the message below. :(

1 час назад, Optiplex_Fan сказал:

So, I'm finally posting it here as everything that I tested has failed.

on a Dell Optiplex 5080, with i5-10600 CPU (HD 630, id 9BC8), I tried everything and failed miserably each time.

on the latest 7.2 update 3 with DS920+ selected in Arc loader, I cannot get the hardware acceleration.

The same happens whichever loader I use

So, what should I do now... What am I missing ?

After installing 7.2 update 3, HW-transcoding also disappeared (there is no /dev/dri folder). Previously used i915 patches.ko and addon in ARC bootloader are not helping yet.

I'll try to experiment again later. I have a CPU Core i9-9900K (3E98), ESXi 8, passthroughed iGPU (it worked at 7.2 U1)

25 minutes ago, dj_nsk said:

It looks like a simple method of code substitution in i915.ko stopped working - see the message below. :(

After installing 7.2 update 3, HW-transcoding also disappeared (there is no /dev/dri folder). Previously used i915 patches.ko and addon in ARC bootloader are not helping yet.

I'll try to experiment again later. I have a CPU Core i9-9900K (3E98), ESXi 8, passthroughed iGPU (it worked at 7.2 U1)

Yes, seems that way. I have been waiting to get linux 4.4.302+ source files. but they havent been released yet. If/when we get those, i can backport and create the modules from scratch for the new VIDs (10th Gen).

4 часа назад, blackmanga сказал:

Yes, seems that way.

It's strange, but I was able to repeat the trick with replacing the CPU ID on a test VM - the same version of DSM 7.2u3 is used there, iGPU is also passthrough (temporarily disconnected from the working DSM), the same Arc loader - patched i915.ko has earned (/dev/dri has appeared).

Obvious differences between the test and the working DSM: fewer CPU cores (2 vs 8), less memory (4 vs 12), virtual SATA disk (vs passthrough SATA controller) - can this affect the result?

2 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

It's strange, but I was able to repeat the trick with replacing the CPU ID on a test VM - the same version of DSM 7.2u3 is used there, iGPU is also passthrough (temporarily disconnected from the working DSM), the same Arc loader - patched i915.ko has earned (/dev/dri has appeared).

Obvious differences between the test and the working DSM: fewer CPU cores (2 vs 8), less memory (4 vs 12), virtual SATA disk (vs passthrough SATA controller) - can this affect the result?

yes, it’s possible that the iGPU is getting a different PCI id number in the VM in the above 2 cases. 

8 часов назад, dj_nsk сказал:

3 часа назад, dj_nsk сказал:

It's strange, but I was able to repeat the trick with replacing the CPU ID on a test VM

6 минут назад, blackmanga сказал:

yes, it’s possible that the iGPU is getting a different PCI id number in the VM in the above 2 cases. 

Everything worked out for me! (for some reason, the /dev/dri folder did not appear immediately after the patch and the DSM start, but after some time🤪)

I restored it in this order (maybe some steps are unnecessary):

1) Arc loader / Configure / Update/ Full upgrade

2) Build loader for another model - DS918+ (to clear all previous patches and addons), start DSM ("Migrate")

2.1) [optional] patching i915.ko for DS918+, reboot, check /dev/dri

3) Arc loader / Configure/ Build loader for my previous model - DS920+, start/migrate

4) patching i915.ko for DS920+, reboot, wait, see /dev/dri -SUCCESS! (check HW transcoding in Jellyfin - working) 

The patch was done using a hexadecimal editor by simply replacing the CPU ID 3E92 with my 3E98 and removing the driver signature at the end of file.

• Like 1

I found a chinese blogger that states that this does not work on some motherboards from MSI, Gigabyte and Rainbow (almost end of page, in red). Maybe that's the same for my Dell motherboard 😕

Regarding the update 3, this was doing the same with the update 2

I spent too much time on this already, I think I'll go the ESXi route with one Linux VM with Jellyfin and HW transcoding, and another VM with DSM

15 minutes ago, Optiplex_Fan said:

I found a chinese blogger that states that this does not work on some motherboards from MSI, Gigabyte and Rainbow (almost end of page, in red). Maybe that's the same for my Dell motherboard 😕

Regarding the update 3, this was doing the same with the update 2

I spent too much time on this already, I think I'll go the ESXi route with one Linux VM with Jellyfin and HW transcoding, and another VM with DSM

Simply changing the gpu pci id doesn’t work for me with gigabyte MB. Which is why I am still on 7.0.1 and not really upgrading as I can’t back port without the files for kernel 4.4.302+

5 hours ago, blackmanga said:

Simply changing the gpu pci id doesn’t work for me with gigabyte MB. Which is why I am still on 7.0.1 and not really upgrading as I can’t back port without the files for kernel 4.4.302+

Hi @blackmanga It may be a silly question but I really needs some guidance 

I am planning to build a custom Xpenology NAS using ARC loader. I currently have machine with Intel i5 7400 but I want to move to at least 10th gen i3 or i5. I started looking for i5-10400T but for some reason I can't find any new processors for sale (even T version of other 10 gens aren't available in my country). 

So my question to you is..

Is Xpenology compatible with latest 12 or 13 gen i3, i5 processors?  

If 12/13 are out of question, can I at least get 10th gen CPU like yours and don't apply any patches? I my case I don't need hardware transcoding.

Are there other aspects of CPU (other than hardware transcoding) that are not compatible with Xpenology DSM 7.2 

Edited by peter_pan

4 hours ago, peter_pan said:

Hi @blackmanga It may be a silly question but I really needs some guidance 

I am planning to build a custom Xpenology NAS using ARC loader. I currently have machine with Intel i5 7400 but I want to move to at least 10th gen i3 or i5. I started looking for i5-10400T but for some reason I can't find any new processors for sale (even T version of other 10 gens aren't available in my country). 

So my question to you is..

Is Xpenology compatible with latest 12 or 13 gen i3, i5 processors?  

If 12/13 are out of question, can I at least get 10th gen CPU like yours and don't apply any patches? I my case I don't need hardware transcoding.

Are there other aspects of CPU (other than hardware transcoding) that are not compatible with Xpenology DSM 7.2 

If you don’t need hardware transcoding you can choose any modern CPU. So yes, intel 12th gen or 13th gen will work absolutely fine. 
one of the other issue that people have can be the LAN chip on the motherboard. So choose the MB accordingly. 

On 6/26/2023 at 12:31 PM, EnixSpike said:

update:

I find a way to manually modify the DS920+ DSM7.2 officail  i195.ko

and replace the officail one with the modify one.

Now every thing works just fine. 

Thanks guy.

sys info.png

ssh info.png

Can you tell me how to modify it? I also have a 10th gen i3, and I can't turn on the computer after rebooting after dsm 7.2 modification of the core drivers

I'm like, wtf... I   booted ESXi, loaded arc loader, installed a DS918+ and GPU pass-through. Modded the 918.ko and I get hardware transcoding active

Révélation

Opti@VM5080:/$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_frequency_info
Password:
Video Turbo Mode: yes
HW control enabled: yes
SW control enabled: no
PM IER=0x00000000 IMR=0xffffffff ISR=0x00000000 IIR=0x00000000, MASK=0x00003ffe
pm_intrmsk_mbz: 0x80000000
GT_PERF_STATUS: 0x00000000
Render p-state ratio: 0
Render p-state VID: 0
Render p-state limit: 255
RPSTAT1: 0x0a800000
RPMODECTL: 0x00000d92
RPINCLIMIT: 0x00002c88
RPDECLIMIT: 0x00004fb0
RPNSWREQ: 350MHz
CAGF: 350MHz
RP CUR UP EI: 33 (44us)
RP CUR UP: 33 (44us)
RP PREV UP: 0 (0us)
Up threshold: 95%
RP CUR DOWN EI: 33 (44us)
RP CUR DOWN: 34 (45us)
RP PREV DOWN: 0 (0us)
Down threshold: 85%
Lowest (RPN) frequency: 350MHz
Nominal (RP1) frequency: 350MHz
Max non-overclocked (RP0) frequency: 1200MHz
Max overclocked frequency: 1200MHz
Current freq: 350 MHz
Actual freq: 350 MHz
Idle freq: 350 MHz
Min freq: 350 MHz
Boost freq: 1200 MHz
Max freq: 1200 MHz
efficient (RPe) frequency: 350 MHz
Current CD clock frequency: 337500 kHz
Max CD clock frequency: 675000 kHz
Max pixel clock frequency: 675000 kHz

I'm going to try the DS918+ in baremetal, see what it does, instead of sticking to DSxx20+ series...

EDIT: no go on DS918+ Baremetal :-/

Edited by Optiplex_Fan

16 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

note - not "any", but depends on the DSM platform, see here (especially "Max CPU Threads")

I was planning to use either DS918+ or DS920+. According to your link both have a limit of Max CPU Threads = 8

does it mean that I can't use a processor which supports >8 Threads OR DSM will work on those processors but it will only utilise 8 Threads and rest will just be ignored?  

What about i3 12100T or i3 13100T both have 4 core and max 8 Threads?

Edited by peter_pan

16 hours ago, blackmanga said:

If you don’t need hardware transcoding you can choose any modern CPU. So yes, intel 12th gen or 13th gen will work absolutely fine. 
one of the other issue that people have can be the LAN chip on the motherboard. So choose the MB accordingly. 

Is the LAN issue just with Realtec NICs only or people have issues with newer Intel NICs as well.

I am NOT planning to get anything with more than 1Gig Intel NIC

6 hours ago, peter_pan said:

I was planning to use either DS918+ or DS920+. According to your link both have a limit of Max CPU Threads = 8

does it mean that I can't use a processor which supports >8 Threads OR DSM will work on those processors but it will only utilise 8 Threads and rest will just be ignored?  

What about i3 12100T or i3 13100T both have 4 core and max 8 Threads?

You can use any processor, but DSM will only use upto a max of 8 cores or 8 threads. So something like 8 cores (no HT), or 4 core 8 threads etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, peter_pan said:

Is the LAN issue just with Realtec NICs only or people have issues with newer Intel NICs as well.

I am NOT planning to get anything with more than 1Gig Intel NIC

Generally intel nics are fine. Unless it’s a very new pci-id. I haven’t followed the MBs for gen 12 and gen 13 intel so I don’t have a comprehensive answer. Best bet would be to check the upgrades/update thread to see the system specs of people who are installing new DSM versions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 9:37 AM, blackmanga said:

Recently, users who are trying on the 13th generation of Intel are prominent.
No success cases have been confirmed in ARPL-i18n or ARC yet, so we are looking into it.

It is said that the only Korean user received a response from nic by switching to the Jot mode of the 13th generation and M SHELL for TCRP. FRIEND says it failed.
ARPL also thinks that only Direct Boot, not the existing GNU kernel, will work in the 13th generation, so I think we need to test this part.

https://svrforum.com/case/684652

The 12th generation sometimes has success stories in the GNU kernel commonly used by ARPL and TCRP Friend.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 2:41 AM, Peter Suh said:

Recently, users who are trying on the 13th generation of Intel are prominent.
No success cases have been confirmed in ARPL-i18n or ARC yet, so we are looking into it.

It is said that the only Korean user received a response from nic by switching to the Jot mode of the 13th generation and M SHELL for TCRP. FRIEND says it failed.
ARPL also thinks that only Direct Boot, not the existing GNU kernel, will work in the 13th generation, so I think we need to test this part.

https://svrforum.com/case/684652

The 12th generation sometimes has success stories in the GNU kernel commonly used by ARPL and TCRP Friend.

Hello ! I can tell that someone found the solution with loader SA6400 with kernel 5.10 

Integrated gpu from 11th to 13gen is working fine, and CPU too^^. Backport and integration of i915 is working just fine actually

My config based on Erying chineese motherboard, based on mobile CPU on an ITX motherboard :

image.thumb.png.f2fc967cbf364c802ad4e840fe72f208.png

image.thumb.png.60f2df7d97d81f7432f51b22ea964457.png

Edited by RedwinX
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 10:37 PM, RedwinX said:

Hello ! I can tell that someone found the solution with loader SA6400 with kernel 5.10 

Integrated gpu from 11th to 13gen is working fine, and CPU too^^. Backport and integration of i915 is working just fine actually

My config based on Erying chineese motherboard, based on mobile CPU on an ITX motherboard :

image.thumb.png.f2fc967cbf364c802ad4e840fe72f208.png

image.thumb.png.60f2df7d97d81f7432f51b22ea964457.png

I also saw this information, but the driver hasn't released to public yet. If the driver can be released individually not integrated in loader, it will be great.