XPEnology Community

i915.ko backported driver for intel 10th gen (DS918+ ver 7.0.1 up3)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 6:38 AM, mzcls687 said:

Can you upload them somewhere else and share again please, site is not responding for me.  Thanks !

"code.imnks.com took too long to respond"

• 3 weeks later...

@blackmangaHi I had been banging my head for weeks to try to get HW transcoding to work in plex on my ds918 xpenelogy , DSM 7.1.0 42661 with TCRP loader, setup. i think your thread here is prbably the closes im getting to making it work.

I have a mini pc with lntel N5095A processor. I have copied over the .ko fies from your first post here. What i dont understand, do i need to copy over some firmware bin files also? So far i did run your scripts, but dont think they worked on my setup because the /dev/dri is still missing. Therefore i wondering if need to copy over some bin files before running your scrut.

Would really appreciate your help here. THanks

Edited by alirz1

3 hours ago, alirz1 said:

@blackmangaHi I had been banging my head for weeks to try to get HW transcoding to work in plex on my ds918 xpenelogy , DSM 7.1.0 42661 with TCRP loader, setup. i think your thread here is prbably the closes im getting to making it work.

I have a mini pc with lntel N5095A processor. I have copied over the .ko fies from your first post here. What i dont understand, do i need to copy over some firmware bin files also? So far i did run your scripts, but dont think they worked on my setup because the /dev/dri is still missing. Therefore i wondering if need to copy over some bin files before running your scrut.

Would really appreciate your help here. THanks

intel N5095A is jasper lake and these drivers don’t cover that graphics pci id 0x4e55

3 minutes ago, blackmanga said:

intel N5095A is jasper lake and these drivers don’t cover that graphics pci id 0x4e55

Ok thanks. So what would be my option, To compile the driver's myself? If so, I don't know if I have enough know-how for that to be honest.

Do you know if the drivers for jasoerlake for ds918 platform exist anywhere? Thank you.

29 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

Ok thanks. So what would be my option, To compile the driver's myself? If so, I don't know if I have enough know-how for that to be honest.

Do you know if the drivers for jasoerlake for ds918 platform exist anywhere? Thank you.

If I am not wrong it will require gen 11 support in drivers. And that is going to take a bit more work to backport.

User @RedwinX and @jimmmmm were working on something. Maybe they can add some insights

9 minutes ago, blackmanga said:

If I am not wrong it will require gen 11 support in drivers. And that is going to take a bit more work to backport.

User @RedwinX and @jimmmmm were working on something. Maybe they can add some insights

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully a last question.

What about for intel i3-8100, coffee lake cpu? Do your drivers cover that? If so, do i need to copy additional firmware files other than the 3 bin files files you mentioned. Thanks again. 

2 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully a last question.

What about for intel i3-8100, coffee lake cpu? Do your drivers cover that? If so, do i need to copy additional firmware files other than the 3 bin files files you mentioned. Thanks again. 

i3-8100 should work with the regular i915.ko drivers and will not require any backported ones. You can use mine too - it shouldn’t make a difference 

you would still need to copy the 3 firmware files as they are not provided by default if I remember. 

Edited by blackmanga

9 hours ago, blackmanga said:

Too dificult to do it. I spoken to a kernel driver engeneer from intel, and it said that's impossible right know. Let's wait for the DSM 7.2. Have the confirmation from synology themself that's the kernel would be upgrade to v5. Would be easier to add the i915 driver

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedwinX said:

Too dificult to do it. I spoken to a kernel driver engeneer from intel, and it said that's impossible right know. Let's wait for the DSM 7.2. Have the confirmation from synology themself that's the kernel would be upgrade to v5. Would be easier to add the i915 driver

Great

• 2 weeks later...

so apparently when i converted my ds3266 box to ds918+ using tcrp 0.8.5. It enabled/added the necessary extension to support hardware decoding. After the migration to ds918 /dev/dri was already there and i have successful HW decoding working with PLEX. I also used real Ds918 mac and serial so i also have the advanced media codec working successfully for HECV support in synology photos etc.

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2022 at 1:59 PM, alirz1 said:

so apparently when i converted my ds3266 box to ds918+ using tcrp 0.8.5. It enabled/added the necessary extension to support hardware decoding. After the migration to ds918 /dev/dri was already there and i have successful HW decoding working with PLEX. I also used real Ds918 mac and serial so i also have the advanced media codec working successfully for HECV support in synology photos etc.

This is in a virtual environment, right?

8 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

No, baremetal.

Don't flame me...just trying to understand  something, to clarify...thought it worked one way, but your feedback seems to imply otherwise.  So let me get this straight..

1) You have a mini pc with lntel N5095A, likely with a single built-in ethernet port, and it's factory programmed MAC address.

2) In your build of the TCRP loader, you have created it using a REAL SN from a DS918+ unit unit to the configuration file.

3) In your build of the TCRP loader, you have also added your REAL MAC address from your DS918+ unit to the configuration file.

4) So your TCRP loader configuration file REAL MAC address doesn't match the mini pc with lntel N5095A factory programmed built-in ethernet port MAC address and yet you have fully functional ethernet connectivity?

I thought the TCRP configuration of the MAC address had to match the REAL MAC address of the motherboard, otherwise no connectivity.

Thanks

43 minutes ago, gericb said:

Don't flame me...just trying to understand  something, to clarify...thought it worked one way, but your feedback seems to imply otherwise.  So let me get this straight..

1) You have a mini pc with lntel N5095A, likely with a single built-in ethernet port, and it's factory programmed MAC address.

2) In your build of the TCRP loader, you have created it using a REAL SN from a DS918+ unit unit to the configuration file.

3) In your build of the TCRP loader, you have also added your REAL MAC address from your DS918+ unit to the configuration file.

4) So your TCRP loader configuration file REAL MAC address doesn't match the mini pc with lntel N5095A factory programmed built-in ethernet port MAC address and yet you have fully functional ethernet connectivity?

I thought the TCRP configuration of the MAC address had to match the REAL MAC address of the motherboard, otherwise no connectivity.

Thanks

ok so i was referring to my baremetal system here which is based on intel i3-8100. But that is only relevant for the HW video transcoding portion.

As for TCRP build, most people use the "serialgen" command of tcrp, which generates serial/MAC combo. These are not REAL serials/MAC and has no impact on network connectivity.

However in my case, i was looking to install and actviate synoloyg's advance media codec pack. Which ony works if i use REAL synology serial and MAC combo. So for that i used that info in my tcrp build, no other reason.

12 hours ago, alirz1 said:

ok so i was referring to my baremetal system here which is based on intel i3-8100. But that is only relevant for the HW video transcoding portion.

As for TCRP build, most people use the "serialgen" command of tcrp, which generates serial/MAC combo. These are not REAL serials/MAC and has no impact on network connectivity.

However in my case, i was looking to install and actviate synoloyg's advance media codec pack. Which ony works if i use REAL synology serial and MAC combo. So for that i used that info in my tcrp build, no other reason.

Yes, I am aware of the TCRP generation of SN/MAC and most people using this, even I have used in previous testing.  The key point, that I am trying to clarify is that the MAC address you have encoded in your TCRP loader is from a REAL from a D918+.....however THAT MAC address does not actually match the MAC address of your built-in or add-in ethernet card, correct?  Example: Synology MAC - 001132...   Built-in/add-in NIC - F8B156...

2 minutes ago, gericb said:

Yes, I am aware of the TCRP generation of SN/MAC and most people using this, even I have used in previous testing.  The key point, that I am trying to clarify is that the MAC address you have encoded in your TCRP loader is from a REAL from a D918+.....however THAT MAC address does not actually match the MAC address of your built-in or add-in ethernet card, correct?  Example: Synology MAC - 001132...   Built-in/add-in NIC - F8B156...

I don’t know the details as to how and at what network level this MAC mapping is done, but I see your point. from what I see, ifconfing on the xpenology and also on my home router, both show the Mac I had specified in tarp.

in the past I’ve used the real mad for my Nic because I wanted to use WOL. Though I don’t need that anymore. But someone here mentioned that wol works with fake Mac also! I haven’t tried.

5 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

I don’t know the details as to how and at what network level this MAC mapping is done, but I see your point. from what I see, ifconfing on the xpenology and also on my home router, both show the Mac I had specified in tarp.

in the past I’ve used the real mad for my Nic because I wanted to use WOL. Though I don’t need that anymore. But someone here mentioned that wol works with fake Mac also! I haven’t tried.

🤯 this is exactly what caught my attention in your original posting.  I THOUGHT the only way the networking would actually function at all, was the TCRP encoded MAC address HAD to match the ACTUAL hardware MAC address of what your motherboard or add-in ethernet port had.  So from I am learning from you, this is not an actual requirement.  This would mean I too, can use my decommissioned DS920+ real SN/MAC as well.  I'm also hoping to use WOL, Transcoding, Advanced Media Codecs and though I know there are various rough draft tutorials on using said feature WITHOUT a REAL SN/MAC combo, this is even better news.

I'm very intrigued by your previous positing, as I am planning on going from DS3615xs to DS920+, wondering if I will be able to replicate your shocked surprised success/discovery in having it all auto enable and configure ---> "so apparently when i converted my ds3266 box to ds918+ using tcrp 0.8.5. It enabled/added the necessary extension to support hardware decoding. After the migration to ds918 /dev/dri was already there and i have successful HW decoding working with PLEX. I also used real Ds918 mac and serial so i also have the advanced media codec working successfully for HECV support in synology photos etc."

1 minute ago, gericb said:

🤯 this is exactly what caught my attention in your original posting.  I THOUGHT the only way the networking would actually function at all, was the TCRP encoded MAC address HAD to match the ACTUAL hardware MAC address of what your motherboard or add-in ethernet port had.  So from I am learning from you, this is not an actual requirement.  This would mean I too, can use my decommissioned DS920+ real SN/MAC as well.  I'm also hoping to use WOL, Transcoding, Advanced Media Codecs and though I know there are various rough draft tutorials on using said feature WITHOUT a REAL SN/MAC combo, this is even better news.

I'm very intrigued by your previous positing, as I am planning on going from DS3615xs to DS920+, wondering if I will be able to replicate your shocked surprised success/discovery in having it all auto enable and configure ---> "so apparently when i converted my ds3266 box to ds918+ using tcrp 0.8.5. It enabled/added the necessary extension to support hardware decoding. After the migration to ds918 /dev/dri was already there and i have successful HW decoding working with PLEX. I also used real Ds918 mac and serial so i also have the advanced media codec working successfully for HECV support in synology photos etc."

I also debated going to ds920. But I wasn’t sure about the different sata mapping method tcrp uses for that so I decided to go with the 918.

to tell you the truth I performed a high risk task for this migration. I did this all remote from across the country lol.

I tested in a vm environment first, repeated all the conversions steps etc multiple times to make sure I wouldnt lose access to the remote setup at any point. It was dumb of me to do this, but at the end it did work successfully. 
I have some very rough notes that I documented for all of this. I can pm you those if you want. 

23 hours ago, alirz1 said:

I also debated going to ds920. But I wasn’t sure about the different sata mapping method tcrp uses for that so I decided to go with the 918.

to tell you the truth I performed a high risk task for this migration. I did this all remote from across the country lol.

I tested in a vm environment first, repeated all the conversions steps etc multiple times to make sure I wouldnt lose access to the remote setup at any point. It was dumb of me to do this, but at the end it did work successfully. 
I have some very rough notes that I documented for all of this. I can pm you those if you want. 

Sure!  That'd be awesome. Feel free to share whatever you think would be useful to know.  Thank YOU