XPEnology Community

DS412+ USB flash module pinout

wool

I've already said it at least once...

You have to remove the mini USB socket from the DOM because it's low profile and won't mount properly on the Motherboard header pins. You replace it with a standard mini USB female socket, same as what's on the Synology DOM.  

Of course before doing any of this you reflash the controller chip first otherwise you might actually do all of this and then find out you don't know how to flash it or worse its DOA!   I'll say it again, it's a lot easier to use a thumb drive plugged in the front USB port.  Happing modding.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I managed to get my DS412+ running as a DS713+ on DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 6 version.  The proven procedure of @DSfuchs works just fine (Thank you) !

After that I tried to manually upgrade to DSM 7.1-42661 Update 1 but that fails with error:  Incompatible Upgrade File.

Any suggestions what to change to make it work ?

• Like 1

Hello, this is normal misconduct by the manufacturer. I'll take a look at the workaround description.

Here you are:

First upgrade the 6.2.4 to 7.0.1. Then comes the trick from grisu:
I found a way to get to 7.1.
You simply change the contents of the /etc/VERSION file to an old version.
Then restart and the message migration appears in the web client. Import the DSM version specified in the migration path and then after the migration to version 7.1 update 2.
But then you have to adapt the /etc/defaults/synoinfo.conf file again with the parameters mentioned.

Best regards

Edited by DSfuchs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 12:26 PM, EricT said:

@DSfuchs,

I managed to upgrade my old DS412+ all the way to DSM 7.1.1 Update 5 (Latest). Thanks for your advise.

Regards, 

Hello, could you put the parameters to modify in the /etc/defaults/synoinfo.conf, I've been looking for them and I can't find them, thanks

@DSfuchs

On 6/23/2023 at 4:34 PM, DSfuchs said:

You will find this here in #76:

As a DS713+, you still have to change values in the /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf file to:
maxdisks="4"
internalportcfg="0xf"

@DSfuchs I have a DS412+ transformed into an RS814+ with version DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4 and it won’t let me update to version 7.1.1-42962 Update 6. Checking the file you indicate /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf, I have the correct values. Do you know what could be happening and why it won’t let me update?

Problems during an update can be a "normal" error caused by the manufacturer. Check the internet for the error, or let me know what exactly isn't working.

Does the problem exist via the GUI ...?

Surely you have to install 7.1.1-42962 (with Update 1) first.

Consider entry #207 and #208.

Also doesn't it work with a fresh installation on a single spare drive without the full install on the hard drives?

Edited by DSfuchs

On 7/6/2023 at 11:25 AM, DSfuchs said:

Also doesn't it work with a fresh installation on a single spare drive without the full install on the hard drives?

So I remove all 4 disks and put in an empty one and do a clean installation from scratch?

Edited by jmia

Yes, when the desired update level is reached, discard the replacement hard disk and start again with the 4 data hard disks. After the migration, everything should be fine.

If the update cannot be carried out on the replacement hard drive, you must first downgrade there to a maximum of 6.2.4-U5 as described here in the thread.

Edited by DSfuchs

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, DSfuchs said:

Yes I can, how is the status of your NAS. Did you follow #90 ?

I wish I could do that, I'm one of the "lucky" DS412+ users who has a failed USBest chip so the unit is not booting up. So I'm looking for someone who is willing to share the image, ofcourse the SN can be stripped out of the image. 

I've replaced the chip already, but still it doesn't show up in windows (or boots the DS412+)

Edited by Sparqq