XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Install on vmware ESXI

@r.og - I believe that he was running the version that he did the guide for. I'm still in the process of setting mine up, but because I used some of my Server build budget to buy a new Nexus 7 (lol), I have to cheap out and use the BR10i and hope that work..lol.

@kwiky - I don't know for sure but hopefully, he will chime in with some info

Hi

Can you please detail how you install the vmdk onto the ESXi after you did the conversion. I tried to follow the guide and always get

GRUB Loading Error 22

Thank you.

Ok, now I get to the point with the "Synology Web Assistant" " Installing DiskStation Manager" "Initializing" and I get the following error :

"An error occur during installation. The telnet service of DiskStation is turn on ...."

The difference is that I am using a 20 GB VMFS virtual disk on SCSI0:0 with Type: Paravirtual

Thanks

Can you post a screenshot of the VM settings properties window

I manage to get it to install and working after some trial and error. Btw, I am using the following guide "Idiot's Guide to DSM 4.2 and ESXi 5.1.pdf" by Tuatara

Looks like the default "DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64_Microserver-20130612.vmdk" is too small ? After conversion the size is 124,928KB

How do I expand the size when I create a new VM and import this vmdk ?

How I got it working is create a 2nd VMFS on IDE0:1 (10Gig). It than went pass the install process. After the first reboot, I did get "GRUB error 22". I restore the original "DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64_Microserver-20130612.vmdk" file from backup and it booted fine.

Thanks

Looks like the default "DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64_Microserver-20130612.vmdk" is too small ? After conversion the size is 124,928KB

How I got it working is create a 2nd VMFS on IDE0:1 (10Gig). It than went pass the install process. After the first reboot, I did get "GRUB error 22". I restore the original "DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64_Microserver-20130612.vmdk" file from backup and it booted fine.

Thanks

That is just a boot loader leave it alone small and add other drives for storage like you have done.

Has somebody already has spindown working on esxi?

I know, to use spin down on a physical rdm with a lsi sas controller in windows i have to change the drivers.

But i'm not that good with unix, i hope somebody can take a look at it

Furthermore, has anybody vmware tools installed? I tried open vm tools, but during installation it failed

Regards

Thanks

That is just a boot loader leave it alone small and add other drives for storage like you have done.

When I tried to use "SCSI0:0" for my VMFS disk. It did not work. I get an error when it tried to start the installation after providing the 'pat' file and putting in password. I had to use "IDE0:1"

Hi,

I'm trying to install on esxi 5.1 U1. I followed the idiots guide and made an RDM to my 2TB disk which was installed in my old ds212+.

The VM boots and I find the DS in Synology assistant. When I try to install the DSM using the .pat file, the installation shows an error. It says I should forward the telnet port 23 on my router. I'm directly connected from my pc to my esxi server with LAN, no router in between. Tried stopping the firewall service and antivirus services but no luck..

Does someone has an idea how to solve this?

Grtz,

Kenny

Hi,

I'm trying to install on esxi 5.1 U1. I followed the idiots guide and made an RDM to my 2TB disk which was installed in my old ds212+.

The VM boots and I find the DS in Synology assistant. When I try to install the DSM using the .pat file, the installation shows an error. It says I should forward the telnet port 23 on my router. I'm directly connected from my pc to my esxi server with LAN, no router in between. Tried stopping the firewall service and antivirus services but no luck..

Grtz,

Kenny

Double check your settings against the idiots guide. Make sure your drives are using the correct mode (paravirtual, or whatever the guide said - i forget), as that setting will keep reverting back to something else each time a drive is added to the VM (or something like that.. I forget what makes it change).

I used the exact same guide, once I made sure none of the settings changed on me everything worked great, and still does :smile:

Hi,

Grtz,

Kenny

Same issue here. Works great under 3202, but when I try with the 3211 .pat file I get prompted to forward port 23. BTW - I've tried that too but same result. Guess I'll go back to using 3202 for now.

Hi,

Grtz,

Kenny

Same issue here. Works great under 3202, but when I try with the 3211 .pat file I get prompted to forward port 23. BTW - I've tried that too but same result. Guess I'll go back to using 3202 for now.

I had this problem as well initially. I configure the VMFS disk to be type IDE instead of SCSI and it works for me.

Hi,

Grtz,

Kenny

I had this problem as well initially. I configure the VMFS disk to be type IDE instead of SCSI and it works for me.

I've got the "boot" disk set to IDE and my RDM drive set as Paravirtual SCSI so perhaps that the issue. I'll try it with a IDE vmfs file and see what happens. I wonder if that's enough to get it loaded and have the ability to add RDMs.

I also noticed on the 3202 instance that items downloaded from the Package Store seem to be hit or miss on living through a reboot. I downloaded 3 packages and only 1 of them was visible, even though it said the other 2 were installed. Seems that if I launch the package before the reboot, they stay visible.

One more thing - a question for those who tried the open-vm-tools - how do you know if you were successful? I followed the instructions and the modules were listed as "success" but it still looks like they're not running to the vSphere Client.

To fix the GRUB 22 error, you must re-upload the xxxxx-flat.vmdk file to the same datastore location. Then restart the VM. in the past, I just login to the console and do a copy from a repo of installation images, but that didn't work for some reason.

So, re-upload the VMDK flat image solves the Grub 22 error.

Is there any documentation to explain how to add LSI SAS drivers to this build? Or perhaps maybe someone could include them in the next build? LSI SAS2008 specifically in my case.

When I try to pass through my LSI SAS card via VT-d I get an error on boot and it hangs. As soon as I remove the passthrough it boots up fine.

I'd rather not use RDM as I like having SMART features.

UPDATE: I also tried my other SAS card -- Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (Marvell 6480 chipset) via VT-D and it didn't detect any drives at all. Support for either card would be dandy. If I have to compile it myself I will.

Did anyone mention a fix for this? I have a M1015 flashed in IT mode and would love to use Passthrough for my Xpen VM.

Hey Guys,

Sorry that I haven't been active on the forum ... I promise I'll keep an eye on developments, but it's been a maniacally busy time for me.

Actually, tuatara got his M1015 (flashed to IT mode) working in pass through. Do you still have the stock firmware on the lsi2008 or did you flash it to IT mode?

I would love to know what firmware his card is running and what settings he used (in esxi and in his card bios) and what build he is using.

Mine is running in IT mode FW: 11.00.00.00 / BIOS: 7.21.00.00 / 22-AUG-11 (LSI P11), but I'll flash it to whatever mode I need to if it'll work via passthrough.

I got bored and setup 2x3tb last night via RDM, but I'd love to do it via VT-d.

I have my XPEnology running using a M1015, flashed to IT mode (I think I'm running the same BIOS version as yours), with all drives set up (8 x WD 2Tb REDs) as RDM using the PVSCSI driver. For the VT-d testing I did previously, I used separate PCIe SATA cards with single drives attached so I could measure performance.

Depending on the motherboard & motherboard BIOS support for VT-d the LSI/M1015 card should be able to be passed through to the host. This would necessitate the driver installation in XPEnology, which AFAIK has been done by Trantor in his XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.2 Build 3211++ (repack 1.2) (REF: Forum Thread)

Without the driver support in XPEnology and 100% reliable VT-d passthrough by the motherboard you will have undiagnosable problems. In the end, I decided that the ability to monitor SMART settings wasn't as important to me as having a reliable system I can trust. The LSI/M1015 support in ESXi is robust, and the driver in XPEnology is compiled from the current source, so I'm confident in this solution, and will continue to use RDM & PVSCSI and will not bother with SMART reporting.

SMART monitoring? If I (should I ever?) need to check the SMART status of the disks, I simply shut down the XPEnology and fire up another Ubuntu/Mint VM with the same drive mappings. I can check the drives and manage them to my heart's content. I can then do ANYTHING needed to the drives, without adding tools or modifying a "clean" XPEnology installation. Works perfectly. That's what a VM is for!

In my experience, SMART has never truly told me of a drive failure before it actually failed; so for me SMART reporting is poor at best. Only twice have I ever had a SMART alert before a complete drive failure, and that's monitoring over 1000's of drives. While SMART happily tells me the details of the failure, it only does so when it has failed. By then it's always been too late and I'm already heading to the machine because it has operationally failed well before the SMART notification.

SMART lets you see the gradual degradation over time, but the problem being ... if it's working, it ain't broke, so nobody wants to fix it. It's a gradual failure, the sector was transparently remapped, so it's recovered right? Ok, great. We won't replace the drive now - but we'll remember to do it soon. Soon is ALWAYS too late.

Nothing beats a REGULAR BACKUP, with a formal drive REPLACEMENT strategy in place BEFORE the drive is EXPECTED to fail. That 7200rpm spinning magnetic platter is attached to a motor, with read/write drive heads floating 3 nanometers above those platters. The linear speed under the head is a staggering 120 km/h! (PI * 3.5 inch * 2.54 cm/inch / 100 cm/m * 7200 rpm * 60 min/hr / 1000 m/km >= 120 km/hr) Acceleration at the head is about 550g - yeah 550 times the force of gravity holding you in your seat. It WILL break and fail, it's only a matter of time. EXPECT to replace the drives in "X" years, based on the drive and usage patterns. SMART will not save you here. Same goes for "RAID is NOT a backup strategy" ... but that's another rant for another day. [ Yeah, it's always THOSE people who think they know better ... *sigh*]

(REF: Wikipedia - Hard Drive and basic high-school mathematics - Linear Velocity = PI * diameter * revolution speed)

EDIT: Just because I wanted an analogy of how insane this really is: A 747 Airplane's Cruising Speed is about 900km/h, so 900 / 120 = 7.5, which is my scaling factor for this comparison. 3 nanometers right? Therefore, this is like flying your 747 airplane 22.5 nanometres above the ground at full cruising speed and expecting not to crash.

(REF: Wikipedia - Flying Height, Wikipedia - 747 Airplane)

It's been one of those weeks ... :ugeek:

I hope to have some time again soon, and might update the forums with some of my patches/apps, but I will keep an eye on the forums for any XPEnology updates.

Cheers,

Tuatara

Hi, I was wondering about DSM's I/O performance on iSCSI or NFS for VMware vSphere 5.x

I'm using a NexentaStor ZFS virtual machine with ZiL and L2ARC on SSD: performance is great!

An LSI/M1015 PCIe card flashed in IT mode - with 8 HDD - is being passed through using VT-d, no problem.

As mentioned on the previous POST, support in ESXi is robust and does not require the use of RDM and PVSCSI.

SMART is working too, natively.

NexentaStor also has a great feature to light up channels on the LSI/M1015 card (visible blink on the PCB), to identify the disk where the SATA cable is attached to: awesome to replace a defective hard disk drive, limiting human error.

Anyway, there are a lot of functionalities in DSM that I really like (Surveillance Station, Plex, etc.)

Sure, I could backup all my vSphere VMs and deploy DSM 4.2 instead.

Now, I really doubt to obtain any benefits in terms of I/O performance as ZFS is a true performer.

As a compromise, I would hope NOT to loose too much velocity overall.

Any experience/thoughts on that?

Or shall I wait for XPEnology's DSM 4.3 , which bring SSD caching... hoping to take I/O performance to the NexentasStor level?

Cheers.

Followed the instructions on installing ESXi and I'm running into the problem where I get a Grub error 22 when the VM reboots.

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

recheck your settings against the doc. Specifically the IDE/SATA types used. They change on their own when adding stuff to the VM.