hpk

XPEnology on hp MicroServer Gen10

As it looks like, hp's ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 will be available soon for $ 399.- 

However, as of now, only one model is available, the one with AMD Opteron X3216 processor.

Are there any plans to support this platform with a 1.02c or 1.03 release of Jun's loader?

Edited by hpk

Gen7 with Turion are not supported.
We are many with it... and the 6.0.2 is the maximum for this time.

well, likely not any time soon. AMD Opteron X3216  features Zen core, and itself is an APU with Radeon VEGA.   Not only the current version of boot loader doesn't support AMD CPU yet,  there is likely no support of the graphics portion of the APU as well. 

Thanks ... so I'll go for a Gen8 with Xeon processor and ILO port ...

• Like 2

On 6/27/2017 at 1:45 PM, hpk said:

Thanks ... so I'll go for a Gen8 with Xeon processor and ILO port ...

Actually going with Gen8 might be better two fold reason - you can upgrade the CPU plus the lack of ILO on the new Gen10 and not to mention its cheaper now (gen8)

jep, just ordered one for around $630 ... will install ESXi next week and ad a few VMs including a 3617xs ...
See, how it performs as NAS ...

On 1-7-2017 at 0:28 AM, hpk said:

jep, just ordered one for around $630 ... will install ESXi next week and ad a few VMs including a 3617xs ...
See, how it performs as NAS ...

Did you get it working? I'm really curious!

On 9/14/2017 at 11:04 PM, hpk said:

yes, works like a charm ... 

Hi, could you give me more details about your config? I am planning to buy one of these servers and I would like to install DSM baremetal. If is not possible, I will try with ESXi.

Where do you store the VMs in ESXI? Do you have a SSD in the 5th SATA port? Is it possible to install ESXi on a USB stick using the interal connector?

12 hours ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi 

Which loader you have used to install XPEonolgy on the server ?

Do you mean XPE 5967.1 is also working?

thanks

Use Juns 1.02b loader

Hi Neobluenet,

are u sure u using HPE Microserver Gen10 ?

Cos i test it few weeks ago and it freeze during DSM (pat file) installing...

If yes could u pls share tweaks u use ?

Many thanks.

Edited by MichaelM

Hi Michael,

Yes, I am using the HPE Gen10 microserver. The steps I did before installing DSM were:

1. Boot the server, entered bios and copied the MAC addresses of the 2 network cards.

2. Found the PID and VID of the usb

3. Mounted the img file from 1.02b and updated the MACs

4. With WIn32DiskImages I wrote the loader on a USB and put it in the internal slot.

5. Started the server and installed DSM. The pat file was 6.1.4 and after everything was done I installed the latest update at that time, update 2.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 12:48 AM, neobluenet said:

Hi Michael,

Yes, I am using the HPE Gen10 microserver. The steps I did before installing DSM were:

1. Boot the server, entered bios and copied the MAC addresses of the 2 network cards.

2. Found the PID and VID of the usb

3. Mounted the img file from 1.02b and updated the MACs

4. With WIn32DiskImages I wrote the loader on a USB and put it in the internal slot.

5. Started the server and installed DSM. The pat file was 6.1.4 and after everything was done I installed the latest update at that time, update 2.

Hi Neobluenet,

I am looking at purchasing the Gen10 as an alternative for building on XPEnology box from scratch. I'm not new to Synology, but new to using XPEnology.  I know this thread is a few months old, but can you elaborate on your steps above, e.g., the need to find the PID and VID as well as updating the MACs?  If this is documented somewhere else, please let me know and I will review.

Thanks in advance for the post and follow-up

6 hours ago, IT_Informant said:

Hi Neobluenet,

I am looking at purchasing the Gen10 as an alternative for building on XPEnology box from scratch. I'm not new to Synology, but new to using XPEnology.  I know this thread is a few months old, but can you elaborate on your steps above, e.g., the need to find the PID and VID as well as updating the MACs?  If this is documented somewhere else, please let me know and I will review.

Thanks in advance for the post and follow-up

It is documents in FAQs section of this forum which point to the proper tutorials.

On 2/5/2018 at 1:37 AM, IT_Informant said:

I know this thread is a few months old, but can you elaborate on your steps above, e.g., the need to find the PID and VID as well as updating the MACs?

Hi, for PID and VID check the tutorials like @Polanskiman said. The MACs for this specific model can be found in the BIOS.

• Like 1

Hi Neobluenet,

it works with me too, thanks for your info :91_thumbsup:. I also have a X3216 Microserver from HP gen10

Did you afterwards ever try to install DSM 6.2, with another Juno loader, or did you stay on DSM 6.1.7-15284.

Kind regards

Kristof

Hi, @Sportify, no I didn't installed 6.2 because 6.1.7 works fine for me. In the future, when I will buy some HDDs, I will probably do an update. As far as I read is a bit complicated to do the update and there is a high probability of data loss, so I'd better wait.