XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

13 hours ago, afaroz61 said:

Hi. I have X10SLH-N6-ST031 (onboard INTEL x540 AT2 - 6x 10gbe) I am using ARC loader. I cannot connect 2.5g and 10g. The connection always shows gigabit. The cable is solid. When I connect the computer with a cable, I can establish a 2.5g connection. I tried 918+ - 920 - 3622xs. Can you help me?

Ixgbe Linux drivers do not support 2.5gb - it’s either 1 or 10. 

3 часа назад, jacqlittle сказал:

Because it's faster to build and boot is faster too than modern versions. I asked on the author's discord and all he did was joke and say that the current versions have the same drivers, but the truth is that the versions after that are much slower. According to the videos that I have seen of the author on YouTube, I see that he always uses virtual machines, but in baremetal the story is different.

How can you say that if you don't have the old version and there's nothing to test it on? I think if the Arc Loader had really started working much slower, then many users would have turned to the author. However, it is likely that in your case the problem lies elsewhere.

I have arc-23.11.28.vmdk-flat, I can convert it to .img using StarWind V2V Converter, but I'm not sure if it will work for USB flash.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dj_nsk said:

How can you say that if you don't have the old version and there's nothing to test it on? I think if the Arc Loader had really started working much slower, then many users would have turned to the author. However, it is likely that in your case the problem lies elsewhere.

I have arc-23.11.28.vmdk-flat, I can convert it to .img using StarWind V2V Converter, but I'm not sure if it will work for USB flash.

Because I have been using it since it was published and the difference compared to the latest versions is noticeable. The pendrive broke down and when I tried to download that version again for flashing on to another pendrive, because I did not have the image stored thinking that all versions would be available for download, it turns out that no, that version is not available  nor others prior to 24.2-dev (possibly another one from a long time ago is the same in terms of speed, that is the one I had tried since then and it has worked very well for me).

If you're just going to respond by asking questions and making assumptions, please don't keep interrogating me with questions that go nowhere and making more assumptions.

Bye.

Edited by jacqlittle

Devs owe you nothing.

Maintaining old releases available is not an option.

Deal with latest release, give useful logs for the dev to help you fix your issue, in case there is really an issue...

If you have nothing than (it works slower) then stop bothering devs and helpers.

There are also alternatives, you can try TCRP M-shell instead of ARC or RR.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 9:29 AM, jacqlittle said:

Because it's faster to build and boot is faster too than modern versions. I asked on the author's discord and all he did was joke and say that the current versions have the same drivers, but the truth is that the versions after that are much slower. According to the videos that I have seen of the author on YouTube, I see that he always uses virtual machines, but in baremetal the story is different.

I can help yout with an old 23.8.19 image, found it in my downloaded files folder. I can upload it anywhere. 

Ciao a tutti, sono fermo da molto tempo a ARPL con DSM 7.1.1-42962, volevo aggiornare a 7.2.1-69057 Update 4, posso usare sempre ARPL o devo necessariamente passare a ARC? Ho paura che devo fare tutto da capo

____

Hi everyone, I've been stuck at ARPL for a long time with DSM 7.1.1-42962, I wanted to update to 7.2.1-69057 Update 4, can I always use ARPL or do I necessarily have to switch to ARC? I'm afraid I'll have to do it all over again

20 минут назад, Antonio92 сказал:

Hi everyone, I've been stuck at ARPL for a long time with DSM 7.1.1-42962, I wanted to update to 7.2.1-69057 Update 4, can I always use ARPL or do I necessarily have to switch to ARC? I'm afraid I'll have to do it all over again

Use Arc or RR

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dj_nsk said:

Use Arc or RR

Quindi faccio tutto da capo? Creando la pendrive e andando avanti con l'installazione DSM troverà gli HDD già pieni e non formatta nulla?

____
So do I do it all over again? By creating the pendrive and continuing with the installation, will DSM find the HDDs already full and not format anything?

4 минуты назад, Antonio92 сказал:

Quindi faccio tutto da capo? Creando la pendrive e andando avanti con l'installazione DSM troverà gli HDD già pieni e non formatta nulla?

____
So do I do it all over again? By creating the pendrive and continuing with the installation, will DSM find the HDDs already full and not format anything?

Yes.

1. you need to burn a USB flash drive, boot from it and configure the bootloader (it is advisable to specify the same DSM model, although even this is not necessary).

2. At the first launch, the DSM will offer to restore (or migrate) - select the option with saving packages and settings. Everything must be restored

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dj_nsk said:

SÌ.

1. è necessario masterizzare una chiavetta USB, eseguire l'avvio da essa e configurare il bootloader (si consiglia di specificare lo stesso modello DSM, anche se anche questo non è necessario).

2. Al primo avvio, DSM offrirà il ripristino (o la migrazione): selezionare l'opzione con il salvataggio di pacchetti e impostazioni. Tutto deve essere ripristinato

Grazie grazie grazie! Proverò oggi stesso!

_____
Thanks thanks thanks! I'll try it today!

1 hour ago, Antonio92 said:

Grazie grazie grazie! Proverò oggi stesso!

_____
Thanks thanks thanks! I'll try it today!

@dj_nsk ha funzionato! Ma ho un dubbio sull'IP, avevo impostato un IP statico, sul monitor collegato al NAS vedo e1000e (1000Mb/s | DHCP) Accesso http://192.168.178.189:5000 per connettersi al DSM via web

Ma lo raggiungo comunque al numero 192.168.178.50

È importante mettere DHCP?

____

It worked! But I have a doubt about the IP, I had set a static IP, on the monitor connected to the NAS I see e1000e (1000Mb/s | DHCP) Access http://192.168.178.189:5000 to connect to DSM via web

But I still reach him on 192.168.178.50

Is it important to put DHCP?

Edited by Antonio92

30 минут назад, Antonio92 сказал:

It worked! But I have a doubt about the IP, I had set a static IP, on the monitor connected to the NAS I see e1000e (1000Mb/s | DHCP) Access http://192.168.178.189:5000 to connect to DSM via web

But I still reach him on 192.168.178.50

Is it important to put DHCP?

in the new Arc and RR versions, the MAC of the network card is not replaced by default (i.e. it remains the same as it is on the physical card) - keep this in mind when configuring.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dj_nsk said:

in the new Arc and RR versions, the MAC of the network card is not replaced by default (i.e. it remains the same as it is on the physical card) - keep this in mind when configuring.

Normale che mi dia sempre DHCP anche se ho impostato da ARC IP statico?

___

Is it normal that it always gives me DHCP even if I set a static IP from ARC?

PXL_20240310_150148703.jpg

13 часов назад, Antonio92 сказал:

Normale che mi dia sempre DHCP anche se ho impostato da ARC IP statico?

___

Is it normal that it always gives me DHCP even if I set a static IP from ARC?

It is better to set up a static IP (binding to MAC) on the router than inside the DSM - so the behavior will be more understandable

• Like 1

Hi, I couldn't find if this already was discussed. But I'm trying to install ARPL by using Proxmox. My server is in a datacenter and I'm not able to attach a USB stick in it very easily. So who could tell me if it's possible to use and ARPL image, while mounting the .img as an ISO image and booting from that instead of an USB device?

30 minutes ago, dthissen said:

Hi, I couldn't find if this already was discussed. But I'm trying to install ARPL by using Proxmox. My server is in a datacenter and I'm not able to attach a USB stick in it very easily. So who could tell me if it's possible to use and ARPL image, while mounting the .img as an ISO image and booting from that instead of an USB device?

qm disk import 10x /path/to/img local-lvm

adapt it to your needs

it will add a new sata disk to your VM. then affect it to latest sata position, and in option menu, choose this sata disk as boot disk.

7 hours ago, dferara said:

What is the meaning of DT on the models list? I researched and find DEVICE TREE? Which one is better for BareMetal and which is better for virtual environment? Thanks in advance.

Device Tree it's the way each model identifies the drives. It has nothing to do with BareMetal or a VM (my opinion).

On 12/3/2022 at 2:24 AM, Neilyboy said:

Hey there. Looking for some guidance here.

I have previously installed dsm via redpill awhile back on another machine. 

I snagged another machine and a few drives. Was hoping to upgrade to this machine.

Lenovo H50-55

CPU: AMD A8-8600

16GB Ram

I have updated the bios and continue to have the same issue.

I am trying with newest loader.

I can fully build the loader (have tried multiple models 918 920, tried just about all of them.

I reboot

I get boot DSM

everything looks normal it gets ip (replys about 6 packets), loads kernel, booting... but this is when it quits responding to ping and never comes back.

image.png.4d40515f7e500e749dbad6534855b647.png

This is all with the on-board nic. So I pulled the tplink gig pcie card from my working redpill dsm server and same thing. I thought maybe it was some off driver or something that shits the bed while booting but I am at a loss as to what to try next.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time and thank you for the work on this wonderful loader (all involved of course)!!

Neil

Hy, have you managed to get it worked? Thanks

Всем привет.

Прошу дать рекомендации по выбору "железа" для установки DSM 920+ из двух существующих вариантов:

1 Вариант:

ASUS P8H61-MX R2.0

Intel Pentium G2010 2,8GHz

DDR3  Kingston HyperX Genesis KHX1333C9D3K2/4G  (2Gb + 2Gb = 4Gb )

2 Вариант:

ASUSTeK P5Q-VM DO

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 2,83GHz

Kingston DDR2-800MHZ  KVR800D2N6/2G  (2Gb + 2Gb + 2Gb + 2Gb= 8Gb )