XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader Build Support Tool ( M-Shell )

Peter Suh

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/commit/0f5473fb6f5c599def8a744ed6edfa4e2e5ccf16

thats bad, really really bad. i broke my NAS 😕

You just disabled autodetection of drivers but i had SHR volume with 8 drivers on mpt3sas and 2 drives on ahci. Your all-modules package does not include mpt3sas drivers. I compiled TCRP using your M-shell just after you make changes in git. Firmware upgraded from 6.2.3 to 7.1.1 but storage is broken because it detect only 2 of 10 drives :(

Edited by shibby

[NOTICE]

Today, we applied the integrated extension driver pack that Fabio uses in ARPL to M Shell.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/rp-ext/tree/main/all-modules

This is a feature that TCRP does not yet have,

In M SHELL, like APRL, all extension drivers are bundled with the name all-modules in the form of a pack and built by default.

In the process of using the loader, it automatically detects the device and installs the necessary extension driver just like the existing TCRP does.

Now you don't have to worry about which extension drivers you need to add in the process of building the loader.

The extension driver automatically behaves like APRL.

26 minutes ago, shibby said:

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/commit/0f5473fb6f5c599def8a744ed6edfa4e2e5ccf16

thats bad, really really bad. i broke my NAS 😕

You just disabled autodetection of drivers but i had SHR volume with 8 drivers on mpt3sas and 2 drives on ahci. Your all-modules package does not include mpt3sas drivers. I compiled TCRP using your M-shell just after you make changes in git. Firmware upgraded from 6.2.3 to 7.1.1 but storage is broken because it detect only 2 of 10 drives :(

What model did you build?
There was an error in finding the pci information of DS920+, so there was a fix a few hours ago.
DS920+ is a model that does not support mpt3sas originally.
If you want to use mpt3sas, avoid Device-Tree-based models such as DS920+ and DS1621+.

2 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

DS920+ is a model that does not support mpt3sas originally.

but driver exist 😕 .

2 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

If you want to use mpt3sas, avoid Device-Tree-based models such as DS920+ and DS1621+.

I didnt know that. So this should be blocked by default to avoid users "as me" to brick DSM 😕 

At the moment i compile DS3622xs+J but:

- restored "listpci" in rploader.sh
- commented line 230 in my.sh file

DSM has been detect as migradable. NAS boot up with DSM 7.1 U4 and all drives are detected !! all data shows up, but system partition was broken so i repait it. At the end i did an update to 7.1.1.

Mission (almost) completed because now i have to compile TCRP once again with tn40xx driver :D - for now DSM works with integrated 1gigs NIC.

@Peter Suh

to be clear, when i use myv.sh script should i select all needed drivers like e1000e, mpt3sas and tn40xx or just tn40xx and all others (e1000e and mpt3sas) will be detected and downloaded automatically?

28 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

There was an error in finding the pci information of DS920+, so there was a fix a few hours ago.

but by this change

you disabled autodetection for all models. So event DS3622xsp was not download mpt3sas driver. So i have to revert your changes to compile redpill working for me.

9 minutes ago, shibby said:

I didnt know that. So this should be blocked by default to avoid users "as me" to brick DSM 😕 

--> That's right. Including a driver that doesn't work can only cause misunderstandings for users. I intend to delete it immediately from my m shell,
I don't know about pocopico's mpt3sas.

DSM has been detect as migradable. NAS boot up with DSM 7.1 U4 and all drives are detected !! all data shows up, but system partition was broken so i repait it. At the end i did an update to 7.1.1.

--> I'm glad to have returned to DS3622xs+. Broadwellnk platform confirmed that mpt3sas works correctly.

@Peter Suh

to be clear, when i use myv.sh script should i select all needed drivers like e1000e, mpt3sas and tn40xx or just tn40xx and all others (e1000e and mpt3sas) will be detected and downloaded automatically?

--> tn40xx has not been auto-detected so far, so it must be through myv.sh
The rest (e1000e and mpt3sas) are already included in the integrated driver.
The download is not visible during the loader build process.

( Only the processing of the integrated driver all-modules is visible. )
During the process of migrating and installing DSM, automatic installation is performed internally. (Similar to APRL)

Edited by Peter Suh

[NOTICE]

Today, I applied the integrated extension driver pack that Fabio uses in ARPL to M Shell.

In M SHELL, like APRL, all extension drivers are bundled with the name all-modules in the form of a pack and built by default.

In the process of using the loader, it automatically detects the device and installs the necessary extension driver just like the existing TCRP does.

Now you don't have to worry about which extension drivers you need to add in the process of building the loader.

With the help of pocopico, dependency issues between modules, like APRL, are completely handled.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

[NOTICE]

Today, I applied the integrated extension driver pack that Fabio uses in ARPL to M Shell.

With the help of pocopico, dependency issues between modules, like APRL, are completely handled.

Please note that the extensions always end up in first partition of the loader on a file called custom.gz

The size of the first partition is limited and TCRP Friend will have issues after processing the custom.gz.

The proper way would be to have the custom.gz and the rd.gz located on the third partition where we have plenty of free space.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2022 at 6:39 PM, pocopico said:

Please note that the extensions always end up in first partition of the loader on a file called custom.gz

The size of the first partition is limited and TCRP Friend will have issues after processing the custom.gz.

The proper way would be to have the custom.gz and the rd.gz located on the third partition where we have plenty of free space.

@pocopico

I modified the redpill-load/build-loader.sh file as below.

Since it is difficult to predict how big the file size of custom.gz will be, from the beginning,

the storage partition inside the loader.img file was changed to a temporary second partition with relatively more space than the first partition.

1259127418_2022-11-117_24_08.thumb.png.5c6dde0c0fc502f37349c0451ba7cb1d.png

./rploader.sh has been modified to work as shown below.

And finally, in the second partition stored temporarily I moved custom.gz to 3rd partition.
At this time, the rd.gz of the first partition is also moved to the third partition.
I also need the zImage, so I copy it to the 3rd partition.

Use msdos3 instead of msdos1 in each model's config.json.

408019893_2022-11-117_19_18.thumb.png.15ae2a32c86df819880a0daf440b6b1a.png

603677758_2022-11-117_20_24.thumb.png.5ac32b07124de669488c975cc9c2b61f.png

Do you think my modifications followed your guide?

Edited by Peter Suh

[NOTICE]

M SHELL's loader build mode now switches to TCRP FRIEND ONLY.

In the M shell, Jun/Jot builds and menu support are discontinued.

The existing Jun Mode is fully covered by ARPL,

Jot mode was removed as a menu above TCRP FRIEND by pocopico for the purpose of being used in an emergency,

but compared to TCRP FRIEND,

it is difficult to find the synoboot partition of USB.

First of all, all development and testing of M SHELL will be focused on one TCRP FRIEND.
Efforts to cover all Jun / Jot modes within M Shell seem to consume more time and energy.

If you need Jun Mode, go to ARPL
If you need Jot Mode, please build in Jot Mode of TCRP.

I plan to further enhance the completeness by allowing only TCRP FRIEND to be processed.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

8 часов назад, Peter Suh сказал:

[NOTICE]

M SHELL's loader build mode now switches to TCRP FRIEND ONLY.

In the M shell, Jun/Jot builds and menu support are discontinued.

The existing Jun Mode is fully covered by ARPL,

Jot mode was removed as a menu above TCRP FRIEND by pocopico for the purpose of being used in an emergency,

but compared to TCRP FRIEND,

it is difficult to find the synoboot partition of USB.

First of all, all development and testing of M SHELL will be focused on one TCRP FRIEND.
Efforts to cover all Jun / Jot modes within M Shell seem to consume more time and energy.

If you need Jun Mode, go to ARPL
If you need Jot Mode, please build in Jot Mode of TCRP.

I plan to further enhance the completeness by allowing only TCRP FRIEND to be processed.

Thanks for info, question, is it possible to download and put to TC folder last version of M Shell with Jun and Jot instead of using command to download latest version where its not there? Or is it possible to leave it there on list as it was but not support it anymore? You could just leave files on github with latest version that had them on the list if possible. Jot/Jun works fine with DVA3221/3219 the way it is :) the reason I am asking is that I want to test them out on older system without fma3 and try to make it work as well as emulate instructions and it takes some time, if I will succeed it will be good alternative for those with old cpus. The more versions are there on the list the better for testing purpose. But totally agree it takes a lot of energy so its totally understandable why you discontinue. You guys already did a very big job and thank you very much for your work 

Edited by dimakv2014
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dimakv2014 said:

Thanks for info, question, is it possible to download and put to TC folder last version of M Shell with Jun and Jot instead of using command to download latest version where its not there? Or is it possible to leave it there on list as it was but not support it anymore? You could just leave files on github with latest version that had them on the list if possible. Jot/Jun works fine with DVA3221/3219 the way it is :) the reason I am asking is that I want to test them out on older system without fma3 and try to make it work as well as emulate instructions and it takes some time, if I will succeed it will be good alternative for those with old cpus. The more versions are there on the list the better for testing purpose. But totally agree it takes a lot of energy so its totally understandable why you discontinue. You guys already did a very big job and thank you very much for your work 

[How to fix to M Shell Jun / Jot mode available version (22.10.22)]

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/5d18c3ffd4125c9b8c7f753256c9d35ddc0fbc13/myfunc.h" -O

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/30443567f58256a84d0225ee16182eab4b6c3e7c/rploader.sh" -O

And, to prevent automatic update to the final version of M shell

Edit my.sh and comment out both lines 61 and 230 with #

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------

I've retested Jun's Mod and Jot's Mod of DVA3219 on bare metal for you now.
Jun's Mod messed up what was the problem (probably a mistake in the process of migrating custom.gz as advised by pocopico. Driver could not be loaded)

Only bare metal Jot's Mod seems to work.

Jun's Mod and Jot's Mod's VMs go into kernel panic.

I can no longer use my time and energy.

Please switch to any other method available to you.

Please use ARPL for Jun mode.

Most of the models available in M Shell, including the DVA3219, have been requested from fabio to be supported by ARPL.

The bottom line is that the only situation where the DVA3219 is possible is in bare metal Jot mode.
Finally, DVA3219 will also continue the stabilization test at TCRP FRIEND.
Please consider switching to using TCRP FRIEND in the future.

Thank you.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Thanks 1

1 час назад, Peter Suh сказал:

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/5d18c3ffd4125c9b8c7f753256c9d35ddc0fbc13/myfunc.h" -O

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/30443567f58256a84d0225ee16182eab4b6c3e7c/rploader.sh" -O

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------

I've retested Jun's Mod and Jot's Mod of DVA3219 on bare metal for you now.
Jun's Mod messed up what was the problem (probably a mistake in the process of migrating custom.gz as advised by pocopico. Driver could not be loaded)

Only bare metal Jot's Mod seems to work.

Jun's Mod and Jot's Mod's VMs go into kernel panic.

I can no longer use my time and energy.

Please switch to any other method available to you.

Please use ARPL for Jun mode.

Most of the models available in M Shell, including the DVA3219, have been requested from fabio to be supported by ARPL.

The bottom line is that the only situation where the DVA3219 is possible is in bare metal Jot mode.
Finally, DVA3219 will also continue the stabilization test at TCRP FRIEND.
Please consider switching to using TCRP FRIEND in the future.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear about Jun mode messed up since I used all modes and it was working fine, plus liked that it can be upgraded through dsm to latested version, but if it was messed by mistake its ok Jot mode will work for testing too so its time to say goodbye to Jun in TCRP, you spent a lot time on it, dont need to waste more, thank you for instructions on revise back :).

About Friend, I tested it today both baremetal and VM, both work fine, updated to 7.1.1 Update 2, but with VM when building loader at SATA config confirmation I needed to press N and Enter to work. It found 52 sata or scsi controllers by default for some reason when in VM setting it was only 2 vmdk drives and if to press Y and Enter to accept what Friend tried to put in UserConfig leads to error HDD not found. Baremetal doesnt have this problem, controllers identified correctly. But thats with fma3 cpu, soon will try it on PVE on IvyBridge EP and I ll keep updates on progress, so thanks again for good work its a really huge thing you guys are doing and done so far :)

Edited by dimakv2014

1 hour ago, dimakv2014 said:

Sorry to hear about Jun mode messed up since I used all modes and it was working fine, plus liked that it can be upgraded through dsm to latested version, but if it was messed by mistake its ok Jot mode will work for testing too so its time to say goodbye to Jun in TCRP, you spent a lot time on it, dont need to waste more, thank you for instructions on revise back :).

About Friend, I tested it today both baremetal and VM, both work fine, updated to 7.1.1 Update 2, but with VM when building loader at SATA config confirmation I needed to press N and Enter to work. It found 52 sata or scsi controllers by default for some reason when in VM setting it was only 2 vmdk drives and if to press Y and Enter to accept what Friend tried to put in UserConfig leads to error HDD not found. Baremetal doesnt have this problem, controllers identified correctly. But thats with fma3 cpu, soon will try it on PVE on IvyBridge EP and I ll keep updates on progress, so thanks again for good work its a really huge thing you guys are doing and done so far :)

pocopico's satamap function can help with configuration as pocopico described, but not absolutely.

I also don't trust this satamap function. And it doesn't even try to make it more sophisticated in the m shell.

Recently, I guide users to always empty the SataPortMap and DIskIdxMap values.

Of course, the graphically mapped part of the Synology Disk overview may look strange, but there is no problem in functionality.

If a part of the disk is not visible, then you have to use it by modifying the SataPortMap inevitably.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dimakv2014 said:

Several causes of kernel panic have been identified in jun's mod, and the rploader.sh file has been modified accordingly.

Please try again using the modified method below.

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/3b01805c68fd991e59807fe6f3482e70b01be0a6/rploader.sh" -O

In my case, there was another cause that caused the kernel panic,

It was caused by randomly stretching the third partition in the VM to build multiple models.

Even though the capacity is sufficient, if it exceeds a certain capacity, a message of insufficient space continues to appear,

and in the end, this third partition seems to have been damaged.

After replacing the vmdk file with the new 0.9.2.9 version, this phenomenon disappeared.

Tested DS3622xs+, DS918+, DVA3219, etc in VM and bare metal.

It works flawlessly.

• Thanks 1

6 часов назад, Peter Suh сказал:

Several causes of kernel panic have been identified in jun's mod, and the rploader.sh file has been modified accordingly.

Please try again using the modified method below.

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/3b01805c68fd991e59807fe6f3482e70b01be0a6/rploader.sh" -O

In my case, there was another cause that caused the kernel panic,

It was caused by randomly stretching the third partition in the VM to build multiple models.

Even though the capacity is sufficient, if it exceeds a certain capacity, a message of insufficient space continues to appear,

and in the end, this third partition seems to have been damaged.

After replacing the vmdk file with the new 0.9.2.9 version, this phenomenon disappeared.

Tested DS3622xs+, DS918+, DVA3219, etc in VM and bare metal.

It works flawlessly.

I ve tested it before on 0.9.2.9 thats why I said it was working flawlessly :) I think Pocopico made the most stable release with 0.9.2.9. I think this version need to be made offline or at least as Main stable. Really no bugs or at least I havent seen any besides some small problems with VM hdds but its easy fixable.

Ok I applied fix, all shows :) thanks a lot, you are the best :) even no HDD error in VM 

In order to fix "No disk detected" error in UserConfig sata settings must be as follows

"SataPortMap": "58",
"DiskIdxMap": "0A00"

Edited by dimakv2014
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, Orphée said:

Did you sort it ?
In my DVA3221 thread I gave my experience with Proxmox passthrough and I succeded with it.

Remember to run "update-grub" after you edit your grub config

Edit : you may not need all the command as for me it was for the NVIDIA GPU passthrough

@Peter Suh I just tested again to passthrough my GPU after Proxmox VE update to 7.2

I uncountered an issue, it did not work anymore.

I found the workaround here :

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/problem-with-gpu-passthrough.55918/page-2#post-478351

By the way, I also found better solution on a reddit post. It is adding "initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init" to kernel parameter. No need "video=efifb:off" or "video=simplefb:off" in kernel parameter. I also tested, it does solve the problem!

In case you need it :)

It works again for me.

• Thanks 1

[notice]

Today I am distributing menu.sh as included in the m shell package.
It is similar to ARPL's menu.

31916721_2022-11-1410_34_36.thumb.png.40b594719982eb7c82f417914a5c7d96.png

Existing M shell users will find that my.sh is updated today.
This menu.sh is also automatically distributed.

If you run the menu with ./menu.sh , it runs inside TCRP Linux as shown below.
The way it works is similar to ARPL.

First-time users can download the m shell package as shown below.

curl -L "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O;tar -zxvf my.sh.gz;

• Like 2

[Notice]

Official distribution of TCRP for M-Shell 0.9.3.0 recording image and ARPL style menu.sh.

Please download the img file for USB stick and vmdk file for virtual machine from the Github release link below and use it.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases

311603656_2022-11-1612_08_23.thumb.png.6038fc483975c0839bdf2bff3d84c4e1.png

It is a TCRP image rebuilt by adding M shell and menu.sh to the final version of pocopico's TCRP 0.9.3.0 modified as of today.

For first-time users, download and record from the link above.

Existing users, if you run ./my.sh once
The latest version is automatically downloaded and up to menu.sh is also downloaded.

When the download is finished, even if you do not finally build the loader
Be sure to save the backup with ./rploader.sh backup

If you do this, the screen will change like this from the next boot, and menu.sh will be automatically executed from the start.

I applied the same menu to the ARPL style, so those who have used the APRL menu more than once will be able to use it right away.

Those who record to a USB stick do not have to worry about the VID/PID being recorded automatically during the Build Loader process.

If you have any questions, please ask in additional comments.

I tested with Proxmox new tinycore-redpill.v0.9.3.0.m-shell.img. 

Generate one build with menu.sh. First create model, then generate random serial and mac, finally build the loader.

Not found DiskIdMap, SataPortMap, sn and mac1. What is the issue?

Other question, how change keyboard map? 

Captura de pantalla 2022-11-15 192600.jpg

I have installed DSM 7.1.1-42962 over DS3622xs+ and works, but then I try to update to DSM 7.1.1-429662 Updte 2 and not works.

Only works with Update 0 and then need rebuild for Update 2?

Captura de pantalla 2022-11-15 200527.jpg

Captura de pantalla 2022-11-15 201313.jpg

Edited by apriliars3

5 hours ago, apriliars3 said:

I tested with Proxmox new tinycore-redpill.v0.9.3.0.m-shell.img. 

Generate one build with menu.sh. First create model, then generate random serial and mac, finally build the loader.

Not found DiskIdMap, SataPortMap, sn and mac1. What is the issue?

Other question, how change keyboard map? 

I have installed DSM 7.1.1-42962 over DS3622xs+ and works, but then I try to update to DSM 7.1.1-429662 Updte 2 and not works.

First of all, thanks for the test report.

The initial values of DiskIdMap and SataPortMap are originally empty, so if necessary, you need to manually edit them in the "Edit user config file manually" menu.
sn / mac1 should have been recorded in the process of using the "Build the loader" menu as created in menu.sh, but it is strange.
Didn't you directly command ./my.sh DS3622xs+F to build the loader?

Implementing the keyboard map function seems to take a lot of time, so we excluded it from this release.

I will add it like ARPL after testing soon.
I only have a US qwerty keyboard, so I can't test it.
Please test the French keyboard in a future release.

DSM 7.1.1-42962 If TCRP FRIEND is abnormal when changing from U0 to U2, it seems that you need to contact pocopico again.
I will try this part more.

Edited by Peter Suh

11 hours ago, apriliars3 said:

Captura de pantalla 2022-11-15 200527.jpg

Update 2 issue has been resolved. If you change to Update 2, TCRP Friend will take care of postupdate patching internally.
However, since pocopico's TCRP Friend still supports Jot mode, the process of copying the postupdate patched kernel file rd.gz back to the first partition is included.

So, you may encounter the message out of space as below. After booting, the message disappears.

In M Shell, Jot mode is excluded, so there seems to be no related issue.

However, to solve even that yellow message, you really need to size up the first partition of the USB stick.

Since it is not absolutely necessary, size-up is withheld for now.

EA539B8B-8820-4FC5-9BC0-84D85FB56C48_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4c4f46dc8fd7a95979cd18ef88351e23.jpeg

Edited by Peter Suh

5 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

First of all, thanks for the test report.

The initial values of DiskIdMap and SataPortMap are originally empty, so if necessary, you need to manually edit them in the "Edit user config file manually" menu.
sn / mac1 should have been recorded in the process of using the "Build the loader" menu as created in menu.sh, but it is strange.
Didn't you directly command ./my.sh DS3622xs+F to build the loader?

Implementing the keyboard map function seems to take a lot of time, so we excluded it from this release.

I will add it like ARPL after testing soon.
I only have a US qwerty keyboard, so I can't test it.
Please test the French keyboard in a future release.

DSM 7.1.1-42962 If TCRP FRIEND is abnormal when changing from U0 to U2, it seems that you need to contact pocopico again.
I will try this part more.

I don´t use ./my.sh DS3622xs+F, only use new menu to create a build. It is less intuitive if you need commands and new graphical menu.

Other question, I try to recovery with other time start to new with other build 0.9.3 m-shell and migrate, but not recovery (no ip but serial port show me Synology login).

I try then with pocopico 0.9.3 and get to recovery, works with DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 and I can login with ip.

I undestand exists any issue with 0.9.3 m-shell or I haven´t done something rigth.

Edited by apriliars3

7 minutes ago, apriliars3 said:

I don´t use ./my.sh DS3622xs+F, only use new menu to create a build. It is less intuitive if you need commands and new graphical menu.

Other question, I try to recovery with other time start to new with other build 0.9.3 m-shell and migrate, but not recovery (no ip but serial port show me Synology login).

I try then with pocopico 0.9.3 and get to recovery, works with DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 and I can login with ip.

I undestand exists any issue with 0.9.3 m-shell or I haven´t done something rigth.

Yes, it looks like you did the right thing for the recovery.

pocopico's TCRP FRIEND corresponds well to automatic postupdate to update 2.

In my m shell, the use of the integrated driver pack encounters the problem of insufficient capacity in the partitions.

That part caused the problem in the update 2 part you reported.

An hour ago, m shell is in a state where the bug has been fixed.

Rebuild the loader and the M shell works just like pocopico's TCRP FRIEND.