XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

1 minute ago, cferra said:

So does all this change the post update process update method that was previously documented?  I’m slightly confused because I thought that was all working. 

No the build process for the encrypted pat files is an addition. Postupdate should work regardless

So I've successfully made the image for broadwellnk-7.1.0-42621 and have installed the pat, but currently for some reason when I tried to root to change the ifconfig for eth0 as I'm running in proxmox, the machine automatically power off right after and I have to reinstall, as starting it up again it would just power off again. Any ideas what's happening? Note: I do not have DHCP on my proxmox machine and every IP is manually specified via static IP.

image.thumb.png.ea67220bc53d68b1ea332cc74b2db97f.png

5 minutes ago, coint_cho said:

So I've successfully made the image for broadwellnk-7.1.0-42621 and have installed the pat, but currently for some reason when I tried to root to change the ifconfig for eth0 as I'm running in proxmox, the machine automatically power off right after and I have to reinstall, as starting it up again it would just power off again. Any ideas what's happening? Note: I do not have DHCP on my proxmox machine and every IP is manually specified via static IP.

image.thumb.png.ea67220bc53d68b1ea332cc74b2db97f.png

Yes, in 7.1. you need to install jumkey.misc OR login from serial console and remove the  acpi-cpufreq line from /usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf following a reboot the system should be ok.

The latest rploader.sh and latest custom_config.json should take care of that in the add_extensions key for each .id can you verify your custom_config.json ? Does it have these keys ?

Edited by pocopico

oki doki getting there ! 🤗

so to summarize:

./rploader.sh clean now
./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh fullupgrade now
./rploader.sh backup now

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh clean now
./rploader.sh download broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218
./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218 add https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-misc/rpext-index.json
wget https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/blob/develop/config/DS3622xs%2B/7.0.1-42218/config.json 
mv config.json  /home/tc/redpill-load/config/DS3622xs+/7.0.1-42218/config.json 

edit custom_config.json to replace following under "id": "broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218" / "id": "broadwellnk-7.1.0-42621":

"redpill_lkm": {
                            "source_url": "https://github.com/dogodefi/redpill-lkm.git",
                            "branch": "develop"
                    },
                    "redpill_load": {
                            "source_url": "https://github.com/dogodefi/redpill-load.git",
                    },

DONT FORGET TO ADAPTE user_config.json :-)

./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218
./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.1.0-42621

then i finnaly got this 

menuentry 'RedPill DS3622xs v7.1.0-42621 Beta (USB, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'RedPill DS3622xs v7.1.0-42621 Beta (SATA, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'Tiny Core Image Build' {
Caching files for future use
No adequate space on TCRP loader partition /mnt/sdf3 to cache pat file
Found /mnt/sdf3/auxfiles/ds3622xsp_42218.pat
/mnt/sdf3/auxfiles/ds3622xsp_42621.pat file
Do you want me to remove older cached pat files and cache current ? [yY/nN] : y
Found /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds3622xsp_42621.pat, copying to cache directory : /mnt/sdf3/auxfiles
cp: preserving permissions for '/mnt/sdf3/auxfiles/ds3622xsp_42621.pat': Operation not permitted

i hope that now i will not have issue with grub not booting 😕

edit: facing same issue at boot time

error:symbol 'grub_disk_native_sectors' not found
entering rescue mode
grub rescue>

any idea what i am doing wrong 😓

Edited by titoum

8 hours ago, bc0421 said:

You need to modify the VMX file which is in the directory your VM files are stored. Find the ethernet0.virtualDev entry  and change it from e1000 to vmxnet3.    (ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3")

Ok, did that but still have same issue. The vm doesn’t seem to be starting the network interface. I can’t find the nas using synology assistant etc.

I don’t have acces to the router so can’t check dhcp leases to confirm if it’s getting an iP or not.

is there any other way to verify if the vm is fully booting up with the network interface initialized?

11 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

Ok, did that but still have same issue. The vm doesn’t seem to be starting the network interface. I can’t find the nas using synology assistant etc.

I don’t have acces to the router so can’t check dhcp leases to confirm if it’s getting an iP or not.

is there any other way to verify if the vm is fully booting up with the network interface initialized?

You need to change the VMX file for the network interface to "e1000e" which works with most platforms (except the AMD ones). Another option would be to leave it as is and recreate the loader but add the e1000 or vmxnet3 extension before you build the loader (vmxnet3 is always the best option for vmware VMs in terms of speed etc)

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42621 add   https://github.com/pocopico/rp-ext/raw/main/e1000/rpext-index.json 

or 

./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.1.0-42621 add   https://github.com/pocopico/rp-ext/raw/main/vmxnet3/rpext-index.json 

VGA output is missing from the syno kernel. I you are using VM workstation, you can create a serial port and putty to it. This way you will see all kernel boot messages and finally log into the VM. 

image.png.ed944beb2fade522c090d8a8076c1fa1.png

You can then use putty to connect to that serial \\.\pipe\ds920p_710

image.png.8fc1514c07b72b04101d1bd77395eabe.png

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 1

Hello @pocopico. Have a little question that’s make me crazy… have installed with tiny core a 7.0.1 DS918+ with mpt3sas (H330 it mode). It cannot detect any disk (8x8To). It works with 3615xs. Cannot understand why, but I really need 918+ for HW acceleration… cannot have access to serial (bare metal). With a disk already installed plug in sata, it just said : not installed but detect the data disk. Without the HBA card, it works fine …

thx :) 

Edited by RedwinX

1 hour ago, titoum said:

oki doki getting there ! 🤗

so to summarize:

./rploader.sh clean now
./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh backup now

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh clean now
./rploader.sh ext broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218 add https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-misc/rpext-index.json
wget https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/blob/develop/config/DS3622xs%2B/7.0.1-42218/config.json 

edit custom_config.json to replace following under "id": "broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218" / "id": "broadwellnk-7.1.0-42621":

},
                    },

then i finnaly got this 

menuentry 'RedPill DS3622xs v7.1.0-42621 Beta (USB, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'RedPill DS3622xs v7.1.0-42621 Beta (SATA, Verbose)' {
menuentry 'Tiny Core Image Build' {
Caching files for future use
No adequate space on TCRP loader partition /mnt/sdf3 to cache pat file
Found /mnt/sdf3/auxfiles/ds3622xsp_42218.pat
/mnt/sdf3/auxfiles/ds3622xsp_42621.pat file
Do you want me to remove older cached pat files and cache current ? [yY/nN] : y
Found /home/tc/redpill-load/cache/ds3622xsp_42621.pat, copying to cache directory : /mnt/sdf3/auxfiles
cp: preserving permissions for '/mnt/sdf3/auxfiles/ds3622xsp_42621.pat': Operation not permitted

i hope that now i will not have issue with grub not booting 😕

edit: facing same issue at boot time

error:symbol 'grub_disk_native_sectors' not found
entering rescue mode
grub rescue>

any idea what i am doing wrong 😓

This custom_config.json contains 7.0.1 / 7.1.0 developer lkm/load git

It's dogodefi / dogodefi / dogodefi / pocopico

Titoum changed everything to dogodefi.

Shouldn't it all be changed to pocopico?

877755758_2022-04-064_12_26.thumb.png.a1f8d55c400da44f0bf7ac0b4403c800.png

Edited by Peter Suh

28 minutes ago, RedwinX said:

Hello @pocopico. Have a little question that’s make me crazy… have installed with tiny core a 7.0.1 DS918+ with mpt3sas (H330 it mode). It cannot detect any disk (8x8To). It works with 3615xs. Cannot understand why, but I really need 918+ for HW acceleration… cannot have access to serial (bare metal). With a disk already installed plug in sata, it just said : not installed but detect the data disk. Without the HBA card, it works fine …

thx :) 

Well what can i say ? First of all i would go for 3622xs instead of 918 but that another issue. We can work on the HBA issue. You can enable telnet after the no disk detect to futher troubleshoot. Mostly interested on whether the module is loaded or not, the /var/log/linuxrc.syno.impl and /var/log/junior_reason.log 

10 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

For ds3615xs 7.1.0
He said to use it as a pocopico.

2 hours ago, pocopico said:

Yes, in 7.1. you need to install jumkey.misc OR login from serial console and remove the  acpi-cpufreq line from /usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf following a reboot the system should be ok.

The latest rploader.sh and latest custom_config.json should take care of that in the add_extensions key for each .id can you verify your custom_config.json ? Does it have these keys ?

Hi, ive checked the afformentioned file and the line is commented out with #. And after a while I noticed that the system crashes whenever I access the IP I assigned to it (10.10.10.10) and just shuts off. Not sure what the issue is.. my CPU is set to kvm64 tho, will that cause any issue?

Edited by coint_cho

ok i got it !

image.thumb.png.d03b845ab9c8dfb8c973ca2bd9385993.png

so in summary i followed previous steps i described:

./rploader.sh clean now
./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh backup now

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh clean now

},
                    },

then i  had to copy over the path file to the following location with the name expected: /home/tc/custom-module/ds3622xsp_42621.pat

only thing missing is proper hdd handling...

image.png.73699536ebb3c494150b10527079ecee.png

i dont know why but it doesnt seems to find them...i guess i need to edit my usbkey to change those value ?

Edited by titoum
info

4 minutes ago, titoum said:

ok i got it !

image.thumb.png.d03b845ab9c8dfb8c973ca2bd9385993.png

so in summary i followed previous steps i described:

./rploader.sh clean now
./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh backup now

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh clean now

},
                    },

then i  had to copy over the path file to the following location with the name expected: /home/tc/custom-module/ds3622xsp_42621.pat

only thing missing is proper hdd handling...

image.png.73699536ebb3c494150b10527079ecee.png

i dont know why but it doesnt seems to find them...i guess i need to edit my usbkey to change those value ?

@titoum

Is there a reason why the same command was used repeatedly, although the order is a little different?

./rploader.sh clean now

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh backup now

./rploader.sh update now

./rploader.sh clean now

i took the cmd from pocopico to be sure that tinycore is refreshed and then i followed the cmd you provided :-)

for the sake on not loosing my mind, i just diligently followed every steps the same to be sure of no deviation.

might be possible to skip some but Murphy is always around the corner ^^'

for the sata config, i can edit on the usb if i remember correctly. it was on partition 2? 

On 3/22/2022 at 6:05 PM, gadreel said:

@VRx666 Find attached a sample Unraid XML configuration...

unraid.xml 7.65 kB · 11 downloads

How is this supposed to work? I don't see a network interface? Which one should be used? Virtio or virtio-net?

Also, how does the serial output work on UnRaid? I can't seem to make it work unfortunately.

Edited by Bose321

2 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I've merged and included all changes of the two major redpill-lkm forks into mine (mainly config/platforms.h and shim/pci) . Tested the redpill.ko module compilation and you should not have issues changing custom_config.json redpill-lkm sources to my redpill-lkm repo. 

Once @alienman PRs his patch, the pocopico redpill-lkm repo, wiill also include @alienmansmart shim patch as well 

Anyway the redpill-lkm repo is not used in the tinycore redpill loader build, as i provide static compiled modules, which at some point i would have to recompile using the pocopico redpill-lkm repo

Edited by pocopico
  • Thanks 1

Did some more testing and currently I’m in 7.0.1-42218, did the same thing as what I did for 7.1.0-42621, so not sure what the issue is… I’ll gladly help with more tests on 7.1.0 if needed since this is just a test VM for Xpenology. 

No crashes no nothing, installed the PAT and I’m dropped straight into synology setup for 7.0.1. 

220AE2DB-3F77-4F61-8088-694814D31861.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coint_cho said:

Did some more testing and currently I’m in 7.0.1-42218, did the same thing as what I did for 7.1.0-42621, so not sure what the issue is… I’ll gladly help with more tests on 7.1.0 if needed since this is just a test VM for Xpenology. 

No crashes no nothing, installed the PAT and I’m dropped straight into synology setup for 7.0.1. 

220AE2DB-3F77-4F61-8088-694814D31861.jpeg

And it looks like I’m consistently dropping connection to my NIC despite having the setup for static IP done. I have to do ifconfig eth0 down and ifconfig eth0 up to manually restart the link. My Ethernet is e1000 in proxmox, since virtio didn’t work for me, and I’m skipping vmxnet3 since it’s only limited to 100m base-t

Edited by coint_cho