cseb

DSM 6.1.3 and sas controller

Recommended Posts

Hi, is someone tryed to use a sas controller with the last loader of Jun? 

And which controler works? 

 

Personnaly I have tryed to use hp p410 with the hpsa.ko and that don't work. 

@IG-88 has compiled several versions of the driver but nothing work.

 

Thanks 

Edited by cseb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a good choice are the lsi (now broadcom) controllers in IT mode, reliable but not cheap

some people use cheaper controllers with 2/4/8 sata ports based on marvell, you should have a closer look on the spec's, don't use controllers with multiplex chip, only use the controller with real full speed sata ports

 

you might search the forum for syba and marvell

also keep in mind, if its not running with the AHCI driver and need a kernel driver to check if its available for dsm 6.1

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Hardware,_driver_status

 

Edited by IG-88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, IG-88 said:

a goog choice are the lsi (now broadcom) controllers in IT mode, reliable but not cheap

some people use cheaper controllers with 2/4/8 sata ports based on marvell, you shoud have a closer look on the build, dont use controllers with miltiplex chip, only use the controller with real full speed sata ports

 

you might search the forum for syba and marvell

also keep in mind, if its not running with the AHCI driver and need a kernel driver to check if its availible for dsm 6.1

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Hardware,_driver_status

 

Thanks for your answer. 

What do you think about this cards : 

LSI MEGARAID 9266-8i 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the driver would be "megaraid_sas.ko", thats part of juns 1.02b driver set

as this is a raid controller and i can't see anything about it-mode (initiator target mode to see attached disk as single disks, pathtrough of disks) i dont think this one is ok

 

More like Broadcom LSI 9211-8i

when looking at at the lsi/avago/broadco website there should be a IT-Mode firmware

afaik the 9240 can be "downgraded" to a 9211 with it-firmware too

also the OEM Modell IBM M1015  can be flashed to 9211

 

if you want to buy something new the 9211-8i is it, but you still have to flash it to a different firmware (doen that only twice), there are loads of howto's for this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Dell H200 flashed to IT-Mode and it works very good with the loader 1.02b (under DSM 6.1.3 Update 4 as a VM under ESXi 6.5 Update 1 as passthrough :smile: ). The H200 is similar to the IBM M1015.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2017 at 4:38 PM, Balrog said:

I use a Dell H200 flashed to IT-Mode and it works very good with the loader 1.02b (under DSM 6.1.3 Update 4 as a VM under ESXi 6.5 Update 1 as passthrough :smile: ). The H200 is similar to the IBM M1015.

 

 

 

 

I also have an h200 flashed to IT-Mode and a pass-through from proxmox to Xpenology. However I cannot get it to find the hard drives that are attached. I can see through a serial terminal that it is loading the drivers for it when it boots. Do you have any insight into why this might be the case? What synology device was your loader for? I'm using the synology ds3617xs version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.11.2017 at 12:21 AM, FuzzyBabyDucks said:

 

 

I also have an h200 flashed to IT-Mode and a pass-through from proxmox to Xpenology. However I cannot get it to find the hard drives that are attached. I can see through a serial terminal that it is loading the drivers for it when it boots. Do you have any insight into why this might be the case? What synology device was your loader for? I'm using the synology ds3617xs version.

 

I use the ds3615xs version. Its working for years now and I see no advantage for me in using the ds3617xs.

Before inserting the H200 into the server I flashed it with the newest firmware to 20.00.07. In the early versions of P20-firmware was a bug but version 20.00.04 and after are fine.

You can have a deeper look here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/tutorial-updating-ibm-m1015-lsi-9211-8i-firmware-on-uefi-systems.11462/

 

I dont know if it is the point where it hangs at your site but this is was I have done. Afterwards I put the card into the Server and passed it through the VM with success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2017 at 1:52 AM, Balrog said:

 

I use the ds3615xs version. Its working for years now and I see no advantage for me in using the ds3617xs.

Before inserting the H200 into the server I flashed it with the newest firmware to 20.00.07. In the early versions of P20-firmware was a bug but version 20.00.04 and after are fine.

You can have a deeper look here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/tutorial-updating-ibm-m1015-lsi-9211-8i-firmware-on-uefi-systems.11462/

 

I dont know if it is the point where it hangs at your site but this is was I have done. Afterwards I put the card into the Server and passed it through the VM with success.

 

I have the same h200 firmware flashed as you do. I managed to resolve the issue, although not as I would like it.

 

It was failing because of an issue with proxmox doing the passthrough to the VM. when launching the VM, It would get a PCI address header failure (which apperently can be ignored), but I had my doubts. I installed ESXi on another drive and stuck that in the machine and eevrything just worked perfectly on my first attempt.

 

Unfortunately, that means I have to migrate some of the other vms to ESXi and will have to use full VMs rather than just the containers. 

 

Its unfortunate that I couldnt get proxmox working with it though.

 

Have you updated to the latest version of DSM? I'm kinda worried about that potentially breaking things.

Edited by FuzzyBabyDucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have the same h200 firmware flashed as you do. I managed to resolve the issue, although not as I would like it.

 

It was failing because of an issue with proxmox doing the passthrough to the VM. when launching the VM, It would get a PCI address header failure (which apperently can be ignored), but I had my doubts. I installed ESXi on another drive and stuck that in the machine and eevrything just worked perfectly on my first attempt.

 

Unfortunately, that means I have to migrate some of the other vms to ESXi and will have to use full VMs rather than just the containers. 

 

Its unfortunate that I couldnt get proxmox working with it though.

 

Have you updated to the latest version of DSM? I'm kinda worried about that potentially breaking things.

So it's a problem with proxmox and not the H200 itself.

I ran for about 2 years DSM with a bare metal installation due to problems with passthrough the H200 under ESXi 6.0. The situation is much better with ESXi 6.5 now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey guys,

would HBA 9400-16I TRI-MODE work ? (It is flashed in IT mode) but the VM states that there are no disks upon first boot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the chip on this is SAS3416, the driver for this chip would be mpt3sas

916+ loader does not have this driver (for now)

 

for testing i would use a system with a ahci sata and a single drive on that to install dsm, the controller would be just in its slot to see if the driver loads correctly (/var/log/...)

as the chip seems to be newer and the kernel and mpt* divers in it are kind of old there is a good chance it will not work, in the kernel 3.10.102 (base of dsm 6.1) there is no controller id for this one, the newest in "our" kernel seems to be 0097

 

vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0094 ("SAS3108 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0095 ("SAS3108 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0096 ("SAS3004 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0097 ("SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00aa
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ab ("SAS3516 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode RAID On Chip (ROC)")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ac ("SAS3416 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode I/O Controller Chip (IOC)")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ad
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ae ("SAS3508 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode RAID On Chip (ROC)")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00af ("SAS3408 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode I/O Controller Chip (IOC)")

 

broadcom provides driver source and as i was already testing new mpt* drivers for the 916+ image i downloaded and compiled it

driver builds and can be loaded in a vm, i expect it will do the same on 3615 and 3617

PM me if you need a test-extra.lzma for this card and for what loader you want it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm LSI MPT SAS 1068 controller are working with the current DSM revision. I'm using a 8port and a 4port controller flashed with IT firmware but bios disabled. Very cheap on ebay: <10€.

 

cheers Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sure...the 1068 is only supporting drives up to 2TB each. In my case it works well using 2x 4x2TB Raid5 volumes. 

 

br chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rebranded LSI controllers like the H200 (I have an HPE version) in IT mode are the default best option from my opinion. Inexpensive, TONS of them around, lots of support available from home-labbers. Most add 8 6G SAS/SATA ports with no complications around SMART etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

I am currently using on several production NAS units this Fujitsu D2607-A11 and A21 card crossflashed to 9211-8i IT Mode  (it is based on LSI2008).

 

It took me a while until I found the right procedure in order to cross it successfully.

 

Regards.

 

Alex.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 1:10 PM, IG-88 said:

the chip on this is SAS3416, the driver for this chip would be mpt3sas

916+ loader does not have this driver (for now)

 

for testing i would use a system with a ahci sata and a single drive on that to install dsm, the controller would be just in its slot to see if the driver loads correctly (/var/log/...)

as the chip seems to be newer and the kernel and mpt* divers in it are kind of old there is a good chance it will not work, in the kernel 3.10.102 (base of dsm 6.1) there is no controller id for this one, the newest in "our" kernel seems to be 0097

 


vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0094 ("SAS3108 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0095 ("SAS3108 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0096 ("SAS3004 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0097 ("SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00aa
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ab ("SAS3516 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode RAID On Chip (ROC)")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ac ("SAS3416 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode I/O Controller Chip (IOC)")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ad
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ae ("SAS3508 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode RAID On Chip (ROC)")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00af ("SAS3408 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode I/O Controller Chip (IOC)")

 

broadcom provides driver source and as i was already testing new mpt* drivers for the 916+ image i downloaded and compiled it

driver builds and can be loaded in a vm, i expect it will do the same on 3615 and 3617

PM me if you need a test-extra.lzma for this card and for what loader you want it

 

 

Hi,

 

Do you have a test driver for the chip SAS3416? I have a 9400-16i card that does not boot. I have tried your extra.lzma for ds3615 v4.8 but did not work.

 

I am using Jun 1.02b loader for 3615xs model. Thank you.

 

Sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

even in kernel 4.4.59 of the 918+ (newer kernel then th other two) the latest i can see in the kernel driver is SAS3108

so it will need to build from external source and i do have newer source but we tried it  with the 36165/17 (older kernel) and it did not work

maybe with the newer kernel 4.4. of the 918+ it will work

atm  i do have a SAS2008 and my new nas hardware (not in use yet) for testing so i can at least compile a new driver and test is with the older card

i will try this in the next hours a i'm on the 918+ drivers for a new 1.04b extra.lzma package
 

[18.12.2017] new 4.4, ... update driver mpt3sas to v23 for SAS93xx/SAS94xx support, ...

...

[14.01.2018]  new 4.5, revert driver mpt3sas to jun's and in case of 916+ to kernel default as SAS94xx support did not work (kernel oops), ...

no, its not just compiling it

:: Loading module mpt3sas[    4.449175] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 000000010000008f
[    4.456576] IP: [<ffffffff813a42b0>] scsi_setup_command_freelist+0x80/0x280
[    4.463961] PGD 45131b067 PUD 0
[    4.467420] Oops: 0000 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
[    4.471614] Modules linked in: mpt3sas(OE+) megaraid_sas(E) megaraid(E) mptctl(E) mptspi(E) mptscsih(E) mptbase(E) raid_class(E) libsas(E) scsi_transport_sas(E) scsi_transport_spi(E) megaraid_mbox(E) megaraid_mm(E) vmw_pvscsi(E) BusLogic(E) usb_storage xhci_pci xhci_hcd usbcore usb_common imwz(OE)
[    4.499888] CPU: 1 PID: 4197 Comm: insmod Tainted: G           OE   4.4.59+ #24922
[    4.507930] Hardware name: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B360M-HD3/B360M HD3, BIOS F13 06/05/2019
[    4.517334] task: ffff880456a06100 ti: ffff880450bc8000 task.ti: ffff880450bc8000
[    4.525264] RIP: 0010:[<ffffffff813a42b0>]  [<ffffffff813a42b0>] scsi_setup_command_freelist+0x80/0x280
[    4.535257] RSP: 0018:ffff880450bcbac0  EFLAGS: 00010202
[    4.540881] RAX: ffff880456a06100 RBX: ffff8804579b4000 RCX: ffffffffa0187140
[    4.548422] RDX: ffff880456a5b580 RSI: 0000000000000001 RDI: ffffffff818536c0
[    4.555943] RBP: ffff880450bcbaf8 R08: 000000000000000a R09: ffff8804542d6800
[    4.563519] R10: 0000000000000001 R11: 0000000000000000 R12: 00000000024000c0
[    4.571068] R13: ffff8804579b4030 R14: 000000010000007f R15: ffffffffa0187140
[    4.578633] FS:  00007f46e7af9700(0000) GS:ffff88046e480000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
[    4.587206] CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
[    4.593292] CR2: 000000010000008f CR3: 00000004578e8000 CR4: 00000000003606f0
[    4.600856] Stack:
[    4.602998]  ffffffff8129a6dd 00000001579b4000 ffff8804579b4000 ffff8804579b4208
[    4.610910]  ffff88045b995090 ffff88045b995090 ffff8804579b4000 ffff880450bcbb30
[    4.618831]  ffffffff813a4a6f 0000000000000000 ffff8804579b4788 ffff88045b995000
[    4.626796] Call Trace:
[    4.629391]  [<ffffffff8129a6dd>] ? __blk_queue_init_tags+0x3d/0x80
[    4.636001]  [<ffffffff813a4a6f>] scsi_add_host_with_dma+0x9f/0x310
[    4.642646]  [<ffffffffa015284a>] _scsih_probe+0x64a/0xc80 [mpt3sas]
[    4.649376]  [<ffffffff812ffbcc>] pci_device_probe+0x8c/0x100
[    4.655460]  [<ffffffff81387681>] driver_probe_device+0x1f1/0x310
[    4.661888]  [<ffffffff81387822>] __driver_attach+0x82/0x90
[    4.667773]  [<ffffffff813877a0>] ? driver_probe_device+0x310/0x310
[    4.674420]  [<ffffffff81385711>] bus_for_each_dev+0x61/0xa0
[    4.680409]  [<ffffffff81387119>] driver_attach+0x19/0x20
[    4.686139]  [<ffffffff81386d43>] bus_add_driver+0x1b3/0x230
[    4.692128]  [<ffffffffa018e000>] ? 0xffffffffa018e000
[    4.697562]  [<ffffffff8138802b>] driver_register+0x5b/0xe0
[    4.703464]  [<ffffffff812fe6a7>] __pci_register_driver+0x47/0x50
[    4.709898]  [<ffffffffa018e1ea>] _mpt3sas_init+0x1ea/0x203 [mpt3sas]
[    4.716708]  [<ffffffff810003b6>] do_one_initcall+0x86/0x1b0
[    4.722706]  [<ffffffff8111703d>] ? __vunmap+0x8d/0xf0
[    4.728141]  [<ffffffff810e1b48>] do_init_module+0x56/0x1be
[    4.734050]  [<ffffffff810b7d8d>] load_module+0x1dfd/0x2080
[    4.739962]  [<ffffffff810b51f0>] ? __symbol_put+0x50/0x50
[    4.745767]  [<ffffffff811160c5>] ? map_vm_area+0x35/0x50
[    4.751469]  [<ffffffff8111740c>] ? __vmalloc_node_range+0x13c/0x240
[    4.758196]  [<ffffffff810b810f>] SYSC_init_module+0xff/0x110
[    4.764281]  [<ffffffff810b81a9>] SyS_init_module+0x9/0x10
[    4.770096]  [<ffffffff8156a74a>] entry_SYSCALL_64_fastpath+0x1e/0x92
[    4.776900] Code: 8b 8b c0 00 00 00 41 81 e4 bf 00 40 02 41 83 c4 01 8b b1 68 01 00 00 85 f6 74 71 4c 8b b1 70 01 00 00 4d 85 f6 0f 84 da 00 00 00 <41> 8b 46 10 85 c0 74 7d 83 c0 01 48 c7 c7 c0 36 85 81 41 89 46
[    4.798263] RIP  [<ffffffff813a42b0>] scsi_setup_command_freelist+0x80/0x280
[    4.805751]  RSP <ffff880450bcbac0>
[    4.809434] CR2: 000000010000008f
[    4.812946] ---[ end trace af6f0f37cfffe320 ]---

 

 

Edited by IG-88
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 8:21 PM, IG-88 said:

Hi IG-88

Very similar setup, Gigabyte H370M and Pentium G5400, loader 1.04b and 918+ DSM 6.2.2+ your extra lzma

I've almost the same error with a Dell SAS 6/iR, log attached.

I've tried to change the firmware with a Broadcom LSI SAS 1068E, works perfectly under debian but same error on DSM.

Did you solved this issue?

 

errore xpenology.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i could not test this driver but there themes something odd/wrong in some drivers in the 1st test version for 918+ (the words experimental and test where chosen for a reason)

in the meantime I've finished the extra.lzma for the 3615 image and had no such odd problems, the mptsas (for 1068E) in that comes from the kernel and as the mpt2sas from kernel did work i'd expect the mptsas to work too

i have not made it available yet as it needs a 1.03b loader that on top has the new kernel from 6.2.2 on it (jun's version come with 6.2.0 kernel and dsm installs a newer on usb when you update to 6.2.2), synology kept the kernel version but changed kernel settings in a way that drivers from 6.2.0 and 6.2.2 are not compatible

 

i will look the next days if i can find out why some 918+ drivers i compiled have problems and crash (the log does not help me, can't debug)

 

so you will need to stay on 6.1.x or 6.2.0 when using 918+ or if you don't need transcoding you can try 3615 with the new extra.lzma (i think i will make the 3615 extra.lzma available even if people need to do extra steps for a 1.03b with new kernel (witch needs to be tested and for various reasons i don't want to publish a complete loader)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, tell me, did you manage to compile the driver on hdd dell h200 it (hba) for 3515 loader 1.03

 

Отправлено с моего MI 6 через Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LDiamond said:

Hello, tell me, did you manage to compile the driver on hdd dell h200 it (hba) for 3515 loader 1.03

no, my driver does not work but 3615 dsm image comes with driver mpt2sas and 3617 with mtp2sas + mpt3sas, so for now the build in drivers will be used

at least thats what i'm plannig to do atm as i could not find out why the mpt2sas from 3.10.105 synology kernel with synology kernel config does not work, might be somethin with the kernel config or the nor 2 year old kernel (beta) source, synology never published newer source even after developing/changing for 2 years, looks like thy don't care about GPL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.