cseb

DSM 6.1.3 and sas controller

Recommended Posts

Hi, is someone tryed to use a sas controller with the last loader of Jun? 

And which controler works? 

 

Personnaly I have tryed to use hp p410 with the hpsa.ko and that don't work. 

@IG-88 has compiled several versions of the driver but nothing work.

 

Thanks 

Edited by cseb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a goog choice are the lsi (now broadcom) controllers in IT mode, reliable but not cheap

some people use cheaper controllers with 2/4/8 sata ports based on marvell, you shoud have a closer look on the build, dont use controllers with miltiplex chip, only use the controller with real full speed sata ports

 

you might search the forum for syba and marvell

also keep in mind, if its not running with the AHCI driver and need a kernel driver to check if its availible for dsm 6.1

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Hardware,_driver_status

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, IG-88 said:

a goog choice are the lsi (now broadcom) controllers in IT mode, reliable but not cheap

some people use cheaper controllers with 2/4/8 sata ports based on marvell, you shoud have a closer look on the build, dont use controllers with miltiplex chip, only use the controller with real full speed sata ports

 

you might search the forum for syba and marvell

also keep in mind, if its not running with the AHCI driver and need a kernel driver to check if its availible for dsm 6.1

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Hardware,_driver_status

 

Thanks for your answer. 

What do you think about this cards : 

LSI MEGARAID 9266-8i 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the driver would be "megaraid_sas.ko", thats part of juns 1.02b driver set

as this is a raid controller and i can't see anything about it-mode (initiator target mode to see attached disk as single disks, pathtrough of disks) i dont think this one is ok

 

More like Broadcom LSI 9211-8i

when looking at at the lsi/avago/broadco website there should be a IT-Mode firmware

afaik the 9240 can be "downgraded" to a 9211 with it-firmware too

also the OEM Modell IBM M1015  can be flashed to 9211

 

if you want to buy something new the 9211-8i is it, but you still have to flash it to a different firmware (doen that only twice), there are loads of howto's for this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Dell H200 flashed to IT-Mode and it works very good with the loader 1.02b (under DSM 6.1.3 Update 4 as a VM under ESXi 6.5 Update 1 as passthrough :smile: ). The H200 is similar to the IBM M1015.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2017 at 4:38 PM, Balrog said:

I use a Dell H200 flashed to IT-Mode and it works very good with the loader 1.02b (under DSM 6.1.3 Update 4 as a VM under ESXi 6.5 Update 1 as passthrough :smile: ). The H200 is similar to the IBM M1015.

 

 

 

 

I also have an h200 flashed to IT-Mode and a pass-through from proxmox to Xpenology. However I cannot get it to find the hard drives that are attached. I can see through a serial terminal that it is loading the drivers for it when it boots. Do you have any insight into why this might be the case? What synology device was your loader for? I'm using the synology ds3617xs version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.11.2017 at 12:21 AM, FuzzyBabyDucks said:

 

 

I also have an h200 flashed to IT-Mode and a pass-through from proxmox to Xpenology. However I cannot get it to find the hard drives that are attached. I can see through a serial terminal that it is loading the drivers for it when it boots. Do you have any insight into why this might be the case? What synology device was your loader for? I'm using the synology ds3617xs version.

 

I use the ds3615xs version. Its working for years now and I see no advantage for me in using the ds3617xs.

Before inserting the H200 into the server I flashed it with the newest firmware to 20.00.07. In the early versions of P20-firmware was a bug but version 20.00.04 and after are fine.

You can have a deeper look here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/tutorial-updating-ibm-m1015-lsi-9211-8i-firmware-on-uefi-systems.11462/

 

I dont know if it is the point where it hangs at your site but this is was I have done. Afterwards I put the card into the Server and passed it through the VM with success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2017 at 1:52 AM, Balrog said:

 

I use the ds3615xs version. Its working for years now and I see no advantage for me in using the ds3617xs.

Before inserting the H200 into the server I flashed it with the newest firmware to 20.00.07. In the early versions of P20-firmware was a bug but version 20.00.04 and after are fine.

You can have a deeper look here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/tutorial-updating-ibm-m1015-lsi-9211-8i-firmware-on-uefi-systems.11462/

 

I dont know if it is the point where it hangs at your site but this is was I have done. Afterwards I put the card into the Server and passed it through the VM with success.

 

I have the same h200 firmware flashed as you do. I managed to resolve the issue, although not as I would like it.

 

It was failing because of an issue with proxmox doing the passthrough to the VM. when launching the VM, It would get a PCI address header failure (which apperently can be ignored), but I had my doubts. I installed ESXi on another drive and stuck that in the machine and eevrything just worked perfectly on my first attempt.

 

Unfortunately, that means I have to migrate some of the other vms to ESXi and will have to use full VMs rather than just the containers. 

 

Its unfortunate that I couldnt get proxmox working with it though.

 

Have you updated to the latest version of DSM? I'm kinda worried about that potentially breaking things.

Edited by FuzzyBabyDucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have the same h200 firmware flashed as you do. I managed to resolve the issue, although not as I would like it.

 

It was failing because of an issue with proxmox doing the passthrough to the VM. when launching the VM, It would get a PCI address header failure (which apperently can be ignored), but I had my doubts. I installed ESXi on another drive and stuck that in the machine and eevrything just worked perfectly on my first attempt.

 

Unfortunately, that means I have to migrate some of the other vms to ESXi and will have to use full VMs rather than just the containers. 

 

Its unfortunate that I couldnt get proxmox working with it though.

 

Have you updated to the latest version of DSM? I'm kinda worried about that potentially breaking things.

So it's a problem with proxmox and not the H200 itself.

I ran for about 2 years DSM with a bare metal installation due to problems with passthrough the H200 under ESXi 6.0. The situation is much better with ESXi 6.5 now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey guys,

would HBA 9400-16I TRI-MODE work ? (It is flashed in IT mode) but the VM states that there are no disks upon first boot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the chip on this is SAS3416, the driver for this chip would be mpt3sas

916+ loader does not have this driver (for now)

 

for testing i would use a system with a ahci sata and a single drive on that to install dsm, the controller would be just in its slot to see if the driver loads correctly (/var/log/...)

as the chip seems to be newer and the kernel and mpt* divers in it are kind of old there is a good chance it will not work, in the kernel 3.10.102 (base of dsm 6.1) there is no controller id for this one, the newest in "our" kernel seems to be 0097

 

vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0094 ("SAS3108 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0095 ("SAS3108 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0096 ("SAS3004 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 0097 ("SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00aa
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ab ("SAS3516 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode RAID On Chip (ROC)")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ac ("SAS3416 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode I/O Controller Chip (IOC)")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ad
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00ae ("SAS3508 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode RAID On Chip (ROC)")
vendor: 1000 ("LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"), device: 00af ("SAS3408 Fusion-MPT Tri-Mode I/O Controller Chip (IOC)")

 

broadcom provides driver source and as i was already testing new mpt* drivers for the 916+ image i downloaded and compiled it

driver builds and can be loaded in a vm, i expect it will do the same on 3615 and 3617

PM me if you need a test-extra.lzma for this card and for what loader you want it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm LSI MPT SAS 1068 controller are working with the current DSM revision. I'm using a 8port and a 4port controller flashed with IT firmware but bios disabled. Very cheap on ebay: <10€.

 

cheers Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sure...the 1068 is only supporting drives up to 2TB each. In my case it works well using 2x 4x2TB Raid5 volumes. 

 

br chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rebranded LSI controllers like the H200 (I have an HPE version) in IT mode are the default best option from my opinion. Inexpensive, TONS of them around, lots of support available from home-labbers. Most add 8 6G SAS/SATA ports with no complications around SMART etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

I am currently using on several production NAS units this Fujitsu D2607-A11 and A21 card crossflashed to 9211-8i IT Mode  (it is based on LSI2008).

 

It took me a while until I found the right procedure in order to cross it successfully.

 

Regards.

 

Alex.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now