XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

On 7/2/2022 at 3:45 AM, fbelavenuto said:

Hello everyone, I would like to share a personal project that I am developing. It is another loader for TTG Redpill, intended to be as automatic and user-friendly as possible.

The link is below, download the image and record it on a flash drive, the rest is done on the same computer.

I'm Brazilian and I'm not good at English language, so forgive me for translation errors.

I used forum knowledge and code from various loaders developed by TTG, pocopico, jumkey, Jun and many others.

Hope you like it.

https://github.com/fbelavenuto/arpl

Edit: An important information that I forgot to mention is that I developed a simple patch to no longer display the DUMMY port error on models without device-tree, the user will be able to install without having to worry about it

Excuse me,i use the ARPL v0.4alpha6 to build the 3617xs-7.1.1-42962,it work well,many thanks for your tool.
Now i wanna to update the v0.4 to v1.0 ,because the ARPL v0.4 donot support 7.1.1-42962 to update 7.1.1-42962up2;
But from [ip:7681],i  use the p'update menu',it doesnot work.It show me "Error downloading bzImage".Maybe the reason is that the national firewall。
And i think if it can use the file "[update.zip]v1.0-beta7",to update v0.4 to v1.0-beta7 local,but i donot find the manual to do it.i can download the file v1.0-beta7,but cannot use the "update menu" to do this .
thanks a lot!

MY hardware:HP MICROSERVER-GEN8(E3-1265L V2+16G+Esxi 6.7up3)

15 minutes ago, picole said:

Excuse me,i use the ARPL v0.4alpha6 to build the 3617xs-7.1.1-42962,it work well,many thanks for your tool.
Now i wanna to update the v0.4 to v1.0 ,because the ARPL v0.4 donot support 7.1.1-42962 to update 7.1.1-42962up2;
But from [ip:7681],i  use the p'update menu',it doesnot work.It show me "Error downloading bzImage".Maybe the reason is that the national firewall。
And i think if it can use the file "[update.zip]v1.0-beta7",to update v0.4 to v1.0-beta7 local,but i donot find the manual to do it.i can download the file v1.0-beta7,but cannot use the "update menu" to do this .
thanks a lot!

MY hardware:HP MICROSERVER-GEN8(E3-1265L V2+16G+Esxi 6.7up3)

You maybe need to redo the image by downloading the new image from github.

The image size changed and it bigger than before.

Just save on a paper every settings you've set on the alpha loader, and re-write them while making the new loader (SN, MAC, all you needed first time)

If you do it right, once new loader built, DSM should ask you to "update" at first boot, and you will just need to give the new/latest .pat file

Edited by Orphée

17 hours ago, Orphée said:

You maybe need to redo the image by downloading the new image from github.

The image size changed and it bigger than before.

Just save on a paper every settings you've set on the alpha loader, and re-write them while making the new loader (SN, MAC, all you needed first time)

If you do it right, once new loader built, DSM should ask you to "update" at first boot, and you will just need to give the new/latest .pat file

ok,thank you!

Now i use the ARPL_V1.0beta7 image to boot and install the DSM7.1.1-42962up2,and i donot need to write the parameter(SN、MAC),the loader just do it automated

it works well,just need a moment to setup the system.

Has anyone gotten any VM to start on beta7 on ds923+? Getting, 'failed to power on virtual machine' for windows or linux

- vt is enabled in bios

- running latest arpl.v1-b7

- VM CPU compatibility mode enabled or disabled

- ds923+

- RAID0

willing for change model and arpl version

Is this true?

Virtual machine data can only be stored on Btrfs volumes

thanks!

Edited by ichasecorals
added limitation note

I've noticed some performance issues since upgrading from jun/3615xs to arpl/3522xs on my Braswell Celeron N3150.

So I did some testing with most (if not all models) available in arpl, clean install on a separate drive. I've tested with PHP and Geekbench and on all but the 3615xs model, I'm only getting around 25% of the scores in Geekbench and PHP test script takes around 4.4x longer.

I also went back and tested jun loader with the different models in DSM 6.2 and got all normal results. Next I also gave tcrp a shot with some models and again a performance hit. Although it was only 80% of my Geekbench score and 1.3x longer in PHP, and again 3615xs was all normal.

3615xs 3622xs 3622xs
loader arpl arpl tcrp
php 12s 53s 16s
gb single 217 53 172
gb multi 794 200 638
percent 100% ~25% ~80%

Anyone has some insight on this issue?

• Thanks 1

I finally made it with my Odroid H2+ that's keeping laying around. As DVA1622 utilizes Intel UHD onboard graphics, I would give it a try.

At first I couldn't get it working and had similar error as Neilyboy earlier, in which v1.0-beta6 and 7 I could not get the first reboot after the initial setup (no ping no discovery). I've tried even earlier beta4 and beta5 builds but none of them even get into the initial setup screen.

Then I tried to tweak with my CMOS settings, disabled Sound Card, lower Intel UHD RAM settings, and eventually found out that I've got the eMMC enabled before. Once I tuned the settings and another fresh installs, my Odroid H2+ could eventually make it ping-able and get into the DSM finally.

Of course with the DVA1622 setup, the first thing that I tested is the AI detection and make it successfully working properly, just like my genuine DVA3221. The only downsize of DVA1622 limitation is only one NIC network card is detected by DSM.

I just created a vm on ESXi V7.0 Update 3 with all standard settings, with arpl 1.0-beta7 and DS923+ with newest DSM, added a virtual NVME and saw this. When you follow the link under "weitere Informationen" you see the compatibility list of NVME modules at Synology and that shows only their own modules. It looks like they want only allow their own? Is this something RedPill can overrun ? I did already the manual "synopartition" via ssh but did not help.....

1701546719_Gro(Bildschirmfoto2022-12-12um10_50.51).thumb.jpeg.801324df2759e518f22db772e43c93cd.jpeg

Edited by WilliamWilliams

4 hours ago, Cr4z33 said:

I am running DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2 with tinycore-redpill loader (cannot remember what version it is sorry).

Any chance to use this new loader WITHOUT having to reinstall DSM again? 😬

If you use the same model and 42218 build you don't have to reinstall. Just to be sure use the same serial and mac as well, can be found in the info center. After switching to ARPL you can update from within DSM to the latest version, the Synology updater will update in 2 steps, first to 7.1 and then to 7.1.1. ARPL will patch itself on reboot to the correct build.

If you choose a different model you have to reinstall, but thats only the system part and you will get to option to keep your settings. The data on the disk is always kept unless it ask you to format all disks which shouldn't be the case. If you choose a newer build in the configurator it's like a reinstall but again you get to keep your settings and data.

Best to have a backup though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 5:22 PM, vasiliy_gr said:

And what happend in Beta7 with reducelog addon?

If I do "Update addons" after "Update arpl" with reboot between them - there is no reducelog. Also "Build the loader" produces error - it is needed to delete this addon before build.

Anyway four upgrades from Beta6 to Beta7 - no kernel panic or so.

Screenshot_20221207_225826.jpg

Screenshot_20221207_230011.jpg

Screenshot_20221207_230040.jpg

I removed it because it caused severe problems on some user installs.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 4:39 AM, royeiror said:

I managed to get to the installation using the 7 beta. But the 10 minutes timer runs out and the status under the Assistant stays migrateable. I feel very close, but there's something keeping me from booting. Is there a way to check a log or somesuch?

image.thumb.png.af8185309e1f8f5d2990e1bd141c7c67.png

Yes, return to loader, add the "dbgutils" addon, rebuild the loader and boot it. After problem shutdown your machine and get "logs" folder into first partition of USB flash drive

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, vasiliy_gr said:

On new 1.0-beta8 - Kernel Panic.

On old 1.0-beta7 - "No space left on device".

On old 1.0-beta3 - hibernation does not work.

So there is no working variant at all... What shall be done?

Previously I downloaded beta6 with upgrade internally to beta7. Now it is impossible because of beta8...

Can you explain more about this bug, please?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cr4z33 said:

@fbelavenuto what if I want to have WOL (Wake On LAN) working?

Do I have to add anything to your loader before going to use it?

Yes, it works, but your system needs to support it. If you use a MAC different from your network card you may have problems if your machine has just turned on, because the MAC is changed by software and a DSM boot is necessary for this.
I recommend not changing the MAC, only change it if you have a valid MAC/SN set. In this case try waking up your machine with its original MAC and the modified MAC, one of them will work according to the current status of the microcomputer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fbelavenuto said:

Yes, it works, but your system needs to support it. If you use a MAC different from your network card you may have problems if your machine has just turned on, because the MAC is changed by software and a DSM boot is necessary for this.
I recommend not changing the MAC, only change it if you have a valid MAC/SN set. In this case try waking up your machine with its original MAC and the modified MAC, one of them will work according to the current status of the microcomputer.

Yes I am already using the same machine MAC address, but right now WOL was not working with my current tinycore-redpill loader.

Thanks tomorrow morning I will be moving to your loader instead. :D

24 minutes ago, fbelavenuto said:

Can you explain more about this bug, please?

I try to fight hibernate issues. Now - not sleeping part, but random awakes (several hours). It makes my HDD-s temperature never come to minimum value of 30 Celsius. So I try different loaders - and because of this I wrote about beta8 so urgently.

My configuration - DS3622xs+, Proxmox, 12-th generation of Intel CPU's (on the test NAS - i5-12400), SAS HBAs LSI 9300 or 9400 (on test NAS - 9400-8i).

And I encountered bad situation... With beta8 I always obtain kernel panic in DSM, it never loaded. I tried many times, with complete reboot of Proxmox.

With beta7 I recieve the message "No space left on device" while building DSM kernel.

With beta6 I receive kernel panic because of beta kernel modules.

On beta3... I receive nothing. DSM loads without issues. But there is no reason to study hibernate on beta3...

As for beta4 and beta5 - I do not tried them previously. As for beta7, previously I downloaded loader beta6 and internaly updated it to beta7. But now I can't do this because of beta8 - and it runs into kernel panic with DSM, as I said previously.

Hello. Sorry for my English. Please tell me, mother J5005-ITX, installed ARPL v1.0-beta7 DS920+. In Storage Manager/Overview, information about installed disks does not match actual slots. Two disks are installed in slots 2 and 4, but it shows that disks are installed in slots 1 and 2. Despite the fact that when installing ARPL v1.0-beta7 DS918 + everything is fine, where the disks are installed, it shows there. I understand that this is due to the Device-tree system to define the HDs , "SataPortMap" and "DiskIdxMap" prescribed and experimented with them, nothing helps, tell me how to fix it.