XPEnology Community

DSM 6.1.x Loader

jun

ESXi does not support VM booting from USB. You can work around the issue with "plop boot manager". Basically, you use CDROM iso as a boot drive in your VM, which then points to the USB stick.

I am not sure it's worth the trouble. If you want to edit the config file on the VM, you can just do that, there's no need to use a USB image as a work around.

It actually does just fine. Just create a new VM with OS Microsoft (whatever version supports EUFI), add a USB controller and USB device, enable EUFI boot in the advanced settings en have the VM boot in UEFI directly. Then just choose the USB drive as boot disk and have fun.

That's what I did. I use 2 USB sticks to run everything:

Bootdevice USB1 = ESXi (boots the Baremetal)

Bootdevice USB2 = Synology (boots through ESXi in VM)

OR2Y6Er.png

3N70Yqj.png

Has anybody successfully built a Nas based on new DSM 6.0.2 loader on VMWare Workstation?

Do I need an iso or img file to boot it up?

Thanks a lot.

Yes I did it. Check fiew post, i describes what I did.

If you want your vm to autoboot, create a batch file with "vmware - x yourvmfile".

I store 1 VMK / disk. So if one disk fails, i add a new one, and recreate the missing vmk

Envoyé de mon SM-T700 en utilisant Tapatalk

I read all your other posts but didn't see how you boot it up on VMWare Workstation.

Once again, do I need an iso or just download img file to boot from it?

Thanks.

Sorry, i didn't mention that.

The first page of this thread, there is a link for the VmWare boot (the vmware boit file). So you download this file, and open it from vmware. Then you edit the vmware device and add some disk, and your all set!

Hey people, while I am hoping to hear some experience sharing regarding the problem I faced, I have been researching and came across a statement saying "USB boot is not supported in ESXi". Can someone with related knowledge confirm that??

Thanks

ESXi does not support VM booting from USB. You can work around the issue with "plop boot manager". Basically, you use CDROM iso as a boot drive in your VM, which then points to the USB stick.

I am not sure it's worth the trouble. If you want to edit the config file on the VM, you can just do that, there's no need to use a USB image as a work around.

Dynax, great to hear your advice again! In fact I came across plop boot manager just now and got it running. Now my DSM is running as I wanted! Superb stuff that is.

Main reason to use this method is that without booting from USB, I get the 50MB HDD issue I mentioned previously, and that kind of bugged me not working like a bare bone would. Though not sure if I was the only one who faced that problem with Gen8+esxi as I have not seen anyone talks about it, maybe everyone use a Gen8 with bare bone.

The only niggle I still have is that when using plop boot manager I have to manually select "USB" from the menu, as any settings such as auto countdown, floppy disabling, etc would not saved (far as I understand it is due to the nature of "CD/DVDs" could not be edited and saved, hence any altered settings would not save for next boot). Would be great if there is a way to fix this small thing, perhaps edit the iso would do the trick. i will look into that anyway, but if anyone got some previous experience on this, I would greatly appreciate some words too.

Cheers

Envoyé de mon SM-T700 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi, I also have Dell H310 in IT mode. How did you pass through disk controller to xpenology? And you can see S.M.A.R.T after the "pass through"? Are your HDDs spinning down/ sleeping now in idle time?

Thanks.

3 things required for you to pass through and get smart info from the drives / have them sleep

v19 firmware on the card (this is what worked for me). Don't need the bios, just the firmware. All we want is a "dumb" HBA.

a vt-d capable processor (the pentium in the ML10 V2 does not support VT-d, which needs to be on in bios). Also known as "direct-path" or "direct-io".

pass through of pci device in ESXI for the vm in question.

i.e. I had a scsi card passed through to a windows 2008 machine (which also passed through the LTO-4 tape drive connected to it), and a usb controller and the h310 passed through to the Xpenology VM.

I also passed through one or 2 ports of a 4 port intel card to each VM so they each had their own 1GbE of bandwidth instead of fiddling with virtual nics, something I'm not up to speed with yet :smile:

Edited by Guest

It actually does just fine. Just create a new VM with OS Microsoft (whatever version supports EUFI), add a USB controller and USB device, enable EUFI boot in the advanced settings en have the VM boot in UEFI directly. Then just choose the USB drive as boot disk and have fun.

That's what I did. I use 2 USB sticks to run everything:

Bootdevice USB1 = ESXi (boots the Baremetal)

Bootdevice USB2 = Synology (boots through ESXi in VM)

OR2Y6Er.png

3N70Yqj.png

Hi Wolfwood,

Can you detail how you put the raw mapped drives into your esxi setup for this VM? Much thanks

Synology NAS GPL Source

8451branch!!!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/ ... 451branch/

It's a good sign especially with the emails I got from Synology, however there is some bad news. Looks like the kernel is heavily stripped down to only provide driver updates. It resides in the backports file. They are using kernel 3.18.1

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hi Wolfwood,

Can you detail how you put the raw mapped drives into your esxi setup for this VM? Much thanks

For easy reference, one of the sources I used was this youtube video:

Parameters (example names):

Datastore name = DSTORE

Folder name = RDM

Disk name = t10.ATA________WDC_WD20EARX2D00PASB0_________________________WD2DWMC4N2456242

Disk name on datastore = WD2000GB

- Start with creating a folder to hold the 'direct' connections to your disk on one of the datastores: RDM

- type: cd /dev/disks

- type: ls -l

- You'll find all drives connected listed as for example: t10.ATA________WDC_WD20EARX2D00PASB0_________________________WD2DWMC4N2456242

- Identify the drives you'll want to map as RAW LUN (note their names)

- type: cd /vmfs/volumes/DSTORE/RDM (or the folder you created yourself)

- type: vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/t10.ATA________WDC_WD20EARX2D00PASB0_________________________WD2DWMC4N2456242 /vmfs/volumes/DSTORE/RDM/WD2000GB.vmdk

Once all the drives are created you can go to your vSphere and you can add a disk

- Add drive

- Existing disk

- Browse datastore to RDM folder and you'll see the created drives from above

- Make sure you select Independent (enable) because of direct passthrough (and no need for snapshots etc.) and Persistant is choosen.

- And repeat the steps to add drives that way.

That's a quick type, but the video shows more information. Otherwise you can also check the following sites:

https://www.tumfatig.net/20120226/raw-d ... s-on-esxi/

https://blog.0xbadc0de.be/archives/98

This is what I got from Synology a few days ago.

And for the source code of 8451 branch don't get too excited, yet. That source code seems to be only for packages. Not kernel.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Synology support.

After confirming with our developers, the source code for DSM 6.0.2 is estimated to be released at some point after DSM 6.1 official version is released to the public.

The exact date is not known at this point as there are still bug fixes and security enhancement being added to the current version of DSM 6.0.2.

Apologize for being able to provide an exact date.

Please feel free to contact us again if you need further help!

Best Regards,
[name stripped]
Synology Technical Support

Those anyone knows Is it safe to update to DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 4

Ikia

I did mine by downloading the package form Synology and install it manually. The below is the link.

https://usdl.synology.com/download/DSM/ ... 3615xs.pat

But you need to specified your USB flash vid, pid & append SataPortMap=XX, check how to find them and type at the very first selection screen.

Without the above info, I got error while installing the update 4.

Sorry for bothering! but is there any comprehensive / detailed tutorial on how to baremetal load DSM 6.x for newbies?

what i did but i think i've missed something:

1º download jun loader v1.0.1

2º extracted the files

3º burn the synoboot.img using win32diskimage to a usb pen

4º tried to edit grub.cfg vid/pid of usb pen (but i can´t! mounted the usb on linux, but nothing appears)

can someone please help on how to do a solid baremetal install?

thank you

from this link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=1430#p79971

Sorry can only quote max. three times.

Absolutely wrong. There is no need to flash anything. Simply use your NIC MAC address.

Shouldn´t there always be the pair of SN with the calculated MAC? Or do you mean I can just put a generated serial number and the hardware MAC from my baremteal system in the grub.cfg and it works?

Thanks

from this link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20216&start=1430#p79971

Sorry can only quote max. three times.

Absolutely wrong. There is no need to flash anything. Simply use your NIC MAC address.

Shouldn´t there always be the pair of SN with the calculated MAC? Or do you mean I can just put a generated serial number and the hardware MAC from my baremteal system in the grub.cfg and it works?

Thanks

No there shouldn't unless the purpose is to fradulently use Synology's services such as Quickconnect. Using a generated s/n and your network card MAC address is enough for DSM to function.