XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

Just now, Peter Suh said:

Is it shutdown exactly or a kernel panic?
Shutdown means to shut down the power, and the power is on when in a kernel panic state.

So it loads the loader i can see it loaded 100%. Then the disks start to read and write as per usual. then i just hear the disks spin down and then the machine shuts down. 

I Rolled back to the other USB I have DS3622xs+ Update 2 and i managed to get the system up again. The only difference was those 2 settings I remove on DS1621xs+ as per what you stated on the notes. 

20 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

So it loads the loader i can see it loaded 100%. Then the disks start to read and write as per usual. then i just hear the disks spin down and then the machine shuts down. 

I Rolled back to the other USB I have DS3622xs+ Update 2 and i managed to get the system up again. The only difference was those 2 settings I remove on DS1621xs+ as per what you stated on the notes. 

So, are you currently migrating to your DS3622xs+ and finding stability?

I also tried installing DS1621xs+ as Friends Loader on my baremetal.
As shown in the screenshot below, there were no major problems.

IMG_5752.thumb.jpeg.830e15540dd7e5164c489b8aa406e429.jpeg1261826513_2022-11-046_24_20.thumb.png.187e9a2c72017cd8adafaf76ce97c509.png939527893_2022-11-046_24_42.thumb.png.6280956cd7c6a159da18533fdca8eb18.png

3 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

So, are you currently migrating to your DS3622xs+ and finding stability?

I also tried installing DS1621xs+ as Friends Loader on my baremetal.
As shown in the screenshot below, there were no major problems.

IMG_5752.thumb.jpeg.830e15540dd7e5164c489b8aa406e429.jpeg1261826513_2022-11-046_24_20.thumb.png.187e9a2c72017cd8adafaf76ce97c509.png939527893_2022-11-046_24_42.thumb.png.6280956cd7c6a159da18533fdca8eb18.png

Correct i moved back and i am up and running. I do not know why my System did what it did. Also i see you have an Internet Connection for DSM i do not know why this does this on my stuff oh well.

What do you Recommend i do here please to get this working 

11 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

Correct i moved back and i am up and running. I do not know why my System did what it did. Also i see you have an Internet Connection for DSM i do not know why this does this on my stuff oh well.

What do you Recommend i do here please to get this working 

Are you currently installing DSM without internet access?
I've never tried such a test.
I wonder what would happen if there was no internet situation.

Also, I wonder if this situation will affect the shutdown.

Monitoring through serial port is the best for accurate cause analysis in baremetal.
I'm currently connecting the serial cable and looking at the logs through the minicom app.

I tried to boot the DS1621xs+ by removing the NIC connection altogether.
Since I have a serial cable, I can log in without a NIC.
As expected, the IP was not properly assigned.
There is no shutdown.

Edited by Peter Suh

2 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

Are you currently installing DSM without internet access?
I've never tried such a test.
I wonder what would happen if there was no internet situation.

Also, I wonder if this situation will affect the shutdown.

Monitoring through serial port is the best for accurate cause analysis in baremetal.
I'm currently connecting the serial cable and looking at the logs through the minicom app.

When you do the Migrate it ask for the DSM File or Auto i use the Manual Method and select the Main DSM and let it to is thing. I download it from the Synology Site

Once in the GUI Under the DSM Verion i have no Internet for that but i do have Internet.

Should i do this again and this time use the Auto Method for DSM to download  ? 

I do not have an Serial Cable or anything i just have my screen connected so i can see the loader etc... 

5 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

When you do the Migrate it ask for the DSM File or Auto i use the Manual Method and select the Main DSM and let it to is thing. I download it from the Synology Site

Once in the GUI Under the DSM Verion i have no Internet for that but i do have Internet.

Should i do this again and this time use the Auto Method for DSM to download  ? 

I do not have an Serial Cable or anything i just have my screen connected so i can see the loader etc... 

Downloading the DSM pat file from the download center in advance and installing it is fine,

or automatically downloading the latest version.

You can choose one of the two methods that is convenient for you.

There is no difference in the results of these two methods.

If so, is the DS3622xs+ now all 4 disks used and found stabilization?
Are there no more exams?

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

How do i do this please as i moved back now so i have the USB Still

If baremetal you need a serial com port with a USB to serial on another computer using telnet.

It is in french but Google Translate should do the job :

Edit : From my point of view, Serial port log access is mandatory if you want to have a reliant Xpenology environment.

When you want/need to update and/or debug your Xpenology, this is the only way to do it when for any reason your LAN card does not get any IP (Driver missing, kernel panic, etc...)

I still use it each time I update my baremetal to follow how update goes and if everything works as intented.

Edited by Orphée
  • Like 1

Your last state is that you proceeded to install the DSM pat file of DS1621xs+, and it said that it was shutdown.

After that, have you replaced it with DS3622xs+ and haven't seen the DSM installation progress screen yet?

Are the two LEDs on the network port blinking?

Is the assigned IP displayed on the screen of TCRP LOADER?

Please upload at least one captured photo that shows the current situation.

It is difficult to understand the situation by writing alone.

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Suh said:

Your last state is that you proceeded to install the DSM pat file of DS1621xs+, and it said that it was shutdown.

After that, have you replaced it with DS3622xs+ and haven't seen the DSM installation progress screen yet?

Are the two LEDs on the network port blinking?

Is the assigned IP displayed on the screen of TCRP LOADER?

Please upload at least one captured photo that shows the current situation.

It is difficult to understand the situation by writing alone.

Lets start over.

1. I started with DS3622xs+ as per our discussions. This worked but due to the Disks you Recommend that i move to DS1621xs+

2. I created and new USB Of DS1621xs+ and this was the one that had an issue and shutdown after the loader. It asked to Migrate that i did and then on reboot it had a fit but the Loader was as per your screenshot.

3. I added back DS3622xs+ and migrated again and this is up and running. 

So this is where i am right now. I need to move to DS1621xs+ again due to the Disk changes since i only have 4 disks in my server.  I am not sure if it will break again and i had the same screen as per you @Peter Suh

6 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

After all, you didn't like the way it looked, did you?
If so, the only way is to adjust SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap .
Are the 4 disks using Raid?
If so, you should handle it with caution.

Not at all i do not mind i just tried what you recommend. and found an issue and posted about it. Thanks again will just leave this alone now.

I might just remove SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap and build it again as per what you stated to remove the values, 

Edited by Vodka2014

@Vodka2014

https://www.2cpu.co.kr/nas/37174

Although the contents of the link below are in Korean, it seems that they have know-how related to HP Gen8 and DSM 7.
Can you translate and view in Google Chrome in your language?
This user seems to have successfully completed the installation with the following settings.

SataPortMap = "6",
DiskIdxMap = "00"

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

@Vodka2014

https://www.2cpu.co.kr/nas/37174

Although the contents of the link below are in Korean, it seems that they have know-how related to HP Gen8 and DSM 7.
Can you translate and view in Google Chrome in your language?
This user seems to have successfully completed the installation with the following settings.

SataPortMap = "6",
DiskIdxMap = "00"

I may be wrong, but if the disks are currently shown at 11-14,

I don't think this suggested settings will work.

The fact they start at 11 probably means there is one or more sata board before the detected disks.

So it could be something like

SataPortMap = "16",

DiskIdxMap = "1000"

This is just an example with only one Sata controller (1) in front the needed one (6), and the position of the first sata controller moved to "10" whereas position of the 2nd needed controller moved to "00"

I don't remember the command line to list the current sata controllers available in TinyCore builder menu...

Edit : It may also depend on BIOS configuration regarding Sata availability

Edited by Orphée
  • Like 2