XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

56 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

Hi @Peter Suh

I am doing a Test Migration on my server now removed all disks and going to reboot to see if it loads 100%. During the install process now i found this. Do I need to worry about it.

cpio: dev/console: Cannot mknod: Operation not permitted
cpio: dev/net/tun: Cannot mknod: Operation not permitted

Thanks again 

EDIT: On Reboot i got this now.

FAILED to match the count of configured netif_num and mac addresses, DSM will panic, exiting so you can fix this.

while on TCRP Friend please check your /mnt/tcrp/user_config.json file and verify that netif_num matches the number of macs in linux line.

e.g.

netif_num=1 only mac1 should exist on the boot lines. 

netif_num=2 , mac1 and mac2 should exist on the boot lines. 

and so on.

• Like 1

Just now, pocopico said:

while on TCRP Friend please check your /mnt/tcrp/user_config.json file and verify that netif_num matches the number of macs in linux line.

e.g.

netif_num=1 only mac1 should exist on the boot lines. 

netif_num=2 , mac1 and mac2 should exist on the boot lines. 

and so on.

Thanks, alot Ah ok cool so if 2 MACs then set it to 2.

The other issue i have do i need to worry about it? 

7 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

Hi @pocopico

I have updated it to 2 MAC and 2 for the netif_num and still the same issues. I do have 2 NIC's Disabled in the BIOS on my MicroServerr GEN8 & using the HP 1GB NIC 2 Port for the main NIC.

Thanks

Can you show me your user_config.josn ?
Have you ever edited /mnt/tcrp/user_config.json directly?
If you use the vi editor at the TCRP FRIEND prompt, the user_config.json file may be deleted or damaged as in the last time.
Finally, show the contents of the file with cat where you modified user_config.json and whether the file exists normally.

Hi @Peter Suh

You are spot on the file is overwritten to the original values. I was doing vi from the prompt where should i be making changes under please.

Thanks 

To be safe, I would go back to tcrp linux and edit the original original user_config. And the loader has to be fielded again. Having trouble displaying your user_config.json? I'm trying to check because there seems to be an error. This time, complete the modifications and build as shown below. ./my.sh DS3622xs+F noconfig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HI @Peter Suh

Please see the below:

Before:

tc@box:~$ ls -l
total 2636
-rwxrwxrwx  1 tc staff   35149 Oct 21 12:19 LICENSE
-rwxrwxrwx  1 tc staff    1294 Oct 21 12:19 README.md
drwxr-sr-x 14 tc staff     280 Nov  3 17:40 config/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 tc staff   52758 Nov  3 09:04 custom_config.json
-rwxrwxrwx  1 tc staff   25498 Nov  3 09:04 custom_config_jun.json
-rwxr-xr-x  1 tc staff  150200 May 31 18:12 dtc
-rwxrwxrwx  1 tc staff    5692 Oct 21 12:19 global_config.json
drwxrwsrwx  3 tc staff      80 Nov  3 17:40 html/
-rw-r--r--  1 tc staff   81845 Oct 21 12:19 modules.alias.3.json
-rw-r--r--  1 tc staff 1628600 Oct 21 12:19 modules.alias.4.json
-rwxr-xr-x  1 tc staff   21882 Oct 22 14:27 my.sh
-rw-r--r--  1 tc staff   10756 Nov  3 08:34 my.sh.gz
-rwxr-xr-x  1 tc staff   28005 Oct 22 14:27 myfunc.h
-rwxr-xr-x  1 tc staff    8886 Oct 22 14:27 myv.sh
drwxr-sr-x 11 tc staff     440 Nov  3 17:40 redpill-lkm/
drwxr-sr-x 24 tc staff     720 Nov  3 17:40 redpill-load/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 tc staff  474230 Nov  3 09:04 rpext-index.json
-rwxrwxrwx  1 tc staff  136902 Nov  3 09:04 rploader.sh
-rwxrwxrwx  1 tc staff    4670 Oct 21 12:19 serialnumbergen.sh
drwxrwsrwx  2 tc staff     280 Nov  3 17:40 tools/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 tc staff    1688 Nov  3 09:06 user_config.json

tc@box:~$ cat user_config.json
{
  "general": {
    "model": "DS3622xs+",
    "version": "7.1.1-42962",
    "smallfixnumber": "0",
    "zimghash": "8903dc99f7201c8656de618d767c05f91bfd32edd9a3706a50fd223237842bf2",
    "rdhash": "432f315818adad4e1ca54040557e164caf2937004e2d009aac8865391353e2f6",
    "usb_line": "withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS3622xs+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x4030 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 syno_port_thaw=1 mac2=001F295E3363 mac1=001F295E3362 sn=20C0SQRYE6GXH vid=0x0424 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=0A00 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=58 ",
    "sata_line": "withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS3622xs+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=1 pid=0x4030 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 synoboot_satadom=1 syno_port_thaw=1 mac2=001F295E3363 mac1=001F295E3362 sn=20C0SQRYE6GXH vid=0x0424 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=0A00 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=58 ",
    "redpillmake": "",
    "friendautoupd": "true"
  },
  "ipsettings": {
    "ipset": "",
    "ipaddr": "",
    "ipgw": "",
    "ipdns": "",
    "ipproxy": ""
  },
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "mac2": "xxxx",
    "netif_num": "1",
    "pid": "0x4030",
    "vid": "0x0424",
    "sn": "xxxx",
    "mac1": "xxxxx",
    "SataPortMap": "58",
    "DiskIdxMap": "0A00"
  },
  "synoinfo": {
    "internalportcfg": "0xffff",
    "maxdisks": "16",
    "support_bde_internal_10g": "no",
    "support_disk_compatibility": "no",
    "support_memory_compatibility": "no"
  },
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

After:

tc@box:~$ cat user_config.json
{
  "general": {
    "model": "DS3622xs+",
    "version": "7.1.1-42962",
    "smallfixnumber": "0",
    "zimghash": "8903dc99f7201c8656de618d767c05f91bfd32edd9a3706a50fd223237842bf2",
    "rdhash": "432f315818adad4e1ca54040557e164caf2937004e2d009aac8865391353e2f6",
    "usb_line": "withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS3622xs+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=2 pid=0x4030 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 syno_port_thaw=1 mac2=001F295E3363 mac1=001F295E3362 sn=20C0SQRYE6GXH vid=0x0424 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=0A00 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=58 ",
    "sata_line": "withefi earlyprintk syno_hw_version=DS3622xs+ console=ttyS0,115200n8 netif_num=2 pid=0x4030 earlycon=uart8250,io,0x3f8,115200n8 synoboot_satadom=1 syno_port_thaw=1 mac2=001F295E3363 mac1=001F295E3362 sn=20C0SQRYE6GXH vid=0x0424 elevator=elevator loglevel=15 HddHotplug=0 DiskIdxMap=0A00 syno_hdd_detect=0 vender_format_version=2 syno_hdd_powerup_seq=0 log_buf_len=32M root=/dev/md0 SataPortMap=58 ",
    "redpillmake": "",
    "friendautoupd": "true"
  },
  "ipsettings": {
    "ipset": "",
    "ipaddr": "",
    "ipgw": "",
    "ipdns": "",
    "ipproxy": ""
  },
  "extra_cmdline": {
    "mac2": "xxxx",
    "netif_num": "2",
    "pid": "0x4030",
    "vid": "0x0424",
    "sn": "xxxx",
    "mac1": "xxxx",
    "SataPortMap": "58",
    "DiskIdxMap": "0A00"
  },
  "synoinfo": {
    "internalportcfg": "0xffff",
    "maxdisks": "16",
    "support_bde_internal_10g": "no",
    "support_disk_compatibility": "no",
    "support_memory_compatibility": "no"
  },
  "ramdisk_copy": {}
}

I then Rebooted and there we go.

Thanks again so the issue was i needed to change this before running the commands.

Edited by Vodka2014

Hi @Peter Suh

I have managed to migrate my HP MicroServer GEN8 to the latest Loader and DSM Update 2.

I do have 1 issue thou are i changed the IP on the DSM GUI but the IP on the loader is different and i think i lost internet access due to this how do i fix the loader to show my static IP i need please.

Thanks 

Edited by Vodka2014

2 часа назад, Vodka2014 сказал:

Hi @Peter Suh

I have managed to migrate my HP MicroServer GEN8 to the latest Loader and DSM Update 2.

I do have 1 issue thou are i changed the IP on the DSM GUI but the IP on the loader is different and i think i lost internet access due to this how do i fix the loader to show my static IP i need please.

Thanks 

What about Router to show device list and make it static over there in dhcp to match it with dsm?)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vodka2014 said:

Hi @Peter Suh

Thanks 

I'm not sure if you changed the contents of user_config.json to xxxx, but you need to enter 12 numbers and 2 real MAC addresses with alphabets excluding ':' or '-' characters.
And as dimakv2014 said, if you pre-allocate an IP address using these real MAC addresses on the router,
The loader should auto-detect these IP addresses.
If the auto-detected IPs are displayed correctly, there is no need to change the IP settings in DSM to static.
The issue is that the loader cannot follow the router's settings.

Also, I don't know how many disks are being used, but there is a possibility that the disk may not be recognized correctly if it is set as that.
At the same time as correcting the MAC address, please empty the contents as shown below.
As TTG recommends, it is fitting that the loader auto-adjusts the disk mapping.

"SataPortMap": "",
    "DiskIdxMap": ""

19 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

Hi @Peter Suh

My disks are all setup and was upgraded. I used the new DSM and per what you stated last time so that is good. 

How do i now edit the user config and not break this. 

Your concern is that if you rebuild the loader while it has already been updated to 7.1.1-42962 Update 2, will the loader of 7.1.1-42962 Update 0 be built?

Smallupdates between Update 2 and Update 0 do not matter.

The version of the original loader does not use the Small version.

Is there any problem with using vi editor? do you know how to use it?

And all disks are recognized, but if the wrong settings of SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap did not affect it, you can leave it alone, but it is a bit strange.

Edited by Peter Suh

Just now, Peter Suh said:

Your concern is that if you rebuild the loader while it has already been updated to 7.1.1-42962 Update 2, will the loader of 7.1.1-42962 Update 0 be built?

Smallupdates between Update 2 and Update 0 do not matter.

The version of the original loader does not use the Small version.

Is there any problem with using vi editor? do you know how to use it?

And all disks are recognized, but if the wrong settings of SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap did not affect it, you can leave it alone, but it is a bit strange.

I know i am asking a lot of questions and like i mentioned last time this info is all not in 1 place and all over the forms for some of it. It is showing me 16 Bay when i only have 4 Disks. 

So i need to reboot go back to the build loader. Do i edit the user config file and then run the below or what is the correct process once the system is all working. 

./my.sh DS3622xs+F noconfig noclean

Thanks again. 

11 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

I know i am asking a lot of questions and like i mentioned last time this info is all not in 1 place and all over the forms for some of it. It is showing me 16 Bay when i only have 4 Disks. 

So i need to reboot go back to the build loader. Do i edit the user config file and then run the below or what is the correct process once the system is all working. 

./my.sh DS3622xs+F noconfig noclean

Thanks again. 

Yes, that's right. If you edit user_config.json and modify it, you must build the loader.
I understand the concern that rebuilding the loader with an already stabilized DSM would have a bad effect.
I had that same concern when I tried this loader.
But you don't have to worry about that.
You must rebuild the loader.

And DS3622xs+ is a 12-bay product, and if you look at the overview through the disk manager, only 4 out of the 12 bays will show the disk differently.

If it is inconvenient to see too many bays unnecessarily,
There is also a way to change to DS1621xs+, which is a 6-bay product with the same Broadwell nk platform.
You just need to go through the migration one more time.
It only decreases the number of bays, nothing changes.

Edited by Peter Suh

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

Yes, that's right. If you edit user_config.json and modify it, you must build the loader.
I understand the concern that rebuilding the loader with an already stabilized DSM would have a bad effect.
I had that same concern when I tried this loader.
But you don't have to worry about that.
You must rebuild the loader.

And DS3622xs+ is a 12-bay product, and if you look at the overview through the disk manager, only 4 out of the 12 bays will show the disk differently.

If it is inconvenient to see too many bays unnecessarily,
There is also a way to change to DS1621xs+, which is a 6-bay product with the same Broadwell nk platform.
You just need to go through the migration one more time.
It only decreases the number of bays, nothing changes.

OH i did not know that, was not on the main page to show what is all supported. Now i take it i need to start over on a new USB Key and just use the same steps as before and just change DS1621xs+ for my HP MicroServer GEN8. Before i start change the netif_num to 2 save it and run the mysh build. Once his is done change the user config and remove the 2 values as per what you stated then save and run noconfig noclean

Edited by Vodka2014
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

HI @Peter Suh

As you mentioned it loaded got the error about the DiskIdxMap & SaraPortmap. Where is this listed in the forms on the Tutorals to remove this value. I checked your M Shell and the Bare Metal installs and no where it states this for users to remove these values.

Or did i miss this somewhere. 

Thanks 

The guide I made in the first place didn't even know if I had to empty this value.

This is what I learned after writing the guide.

The fact that TTG recommends is also the fact that if you look at the contents of pocopico's rploader.sh, there was the following command in the satamap() function.

Did you not empty the value as I guided?

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/rploader.sh

From Line #1782

# This function identifies all SATA controllers and create a plausible sataportmap and diskidxmap.
    #
    # In the case of SATABOOT: While TinyCore suppresses the /dev/sd device servicing synoboot, the
    # controller still takes up a sataportmap entry. ThorGroup advised not to map the controller ports
    # beyond the MaxDisks limit, but there is no harm in doing so - unless additional devices are
    # connected along with SATABOOT. This will create a gap/empty first slot.

#
    # By mapping the SATABOOT controller ports beyond MaxDisks like Jun loader, it forces data disks
    # onto a secondary controller, and it's clear what the SATABOOT controller and device are being
    # used for. The KVM q35 bogus controller is mapped in the same manner.
    #
    # DUMMY ports (flagged by kernel as empty/non-functional, usually because hotplug is supported and
    # not enabled, and no disk is attached are detected and alerted. Any DUMMY port visible to the
    # DSM installer will result in a "SATA port disabled" message.
    #
    # SCSI/SAS and non-AHCI compliant SATA are unaffected by sataportmap and diskidxmap but a summary
    # controller and drive report is provided in order to avoid user distress.
    #
    # This code was written with the intention of reusing the detection strategy for device tree
    # creation, and the two functions could easily be integrated if desired.

Edited by Peter Suh

10 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

The guide I made in the first place didn't even know if I had to empty this value.

This is what I learned after writing the guide.

The fact that TTG recommends is also the fact that if you look at the contents of pocopico's rploader.sh, there was the following command in the satamap() function.

Did you not empty the value as I guided?

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/rploader.sh

From Line #1782

# This function identifies all SATA controllers and create a plausible sataportmap and diskidxmap.
    #
    # In the case of SATABOOT: While TinyCore suppresses the /dev/sd device servicing synoboot, the
    # controller still takes up a sataportmap entry. ThorGroup advised not to map the controller ports
    # beyond the MaxDisks limit, but there is no harm in doing so - unless additional devices are
    # connected along with SATABOOT. This will create a gap/empty first slot.

#
    # By mapping the SATABOOT controller ports beyond MaxDisks like Jun loader, it forces data disks
    # onto a secondary controller, and it's clear what the SATABOOT controller and device are being
    # used for. The KVM q35 bogus controller is mapped in the same manner.
    #
    # DUMMY ports (flagged by kernel as empty/non-functional, usually because hotplug is supported and
    # not enabled, and no disk is attached are detected and alerted. Any DUMMY port visible to the
    # DSM installer will result in a "SATA port disabled" message.
    #
    # SCSI/SAS and non-AHCI compliant SATA are unaffected by sataportmap and diskidxmap but a summary
    # controller and drive report is provided in order to avoid user distress.
    #
    # This code was written with the intention of reusing the detection strategy for device tree
    # creation, and the two functions could easily be integrated if desired.

Oh wow it is all in their Line 1782. Is there any way to update your main guide on this please. 

Yes i did what you stated and will be adding my disks in and starting the Migration Next. Thanks again for the help and support

5 minutes ago, Vodka2014 said:

Oh wow it is all in their Line 1782. Is there any way to update your main guide on this please. 

In addition to the guide I made, there is a version of the guide that is better made.
And, if I am not an administrator, I do not have the right to edit an already uploaded post.
I can't recreate it from scratch, and there's no way to supplement the existing content.

• Like 1