XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

3 hours ago, MikeaP said:

Hello fellow users,

I need a hand in doing baremetal installation and I beg your pardon upfront if I'm posting in the wrong forum thread (I have read through quite a lot of stuff here and this one seemed most appropriate).

I have previously done a successful installation using this guide on the very same hardware I'm trying to do an installation now.

However it was quite some time ago with redpill v 0.4.something.

This time following instructions and modifications I did last time to meet my hardware I face an issue - after running redpill I'm able to see my NAS on the network asking me for the initial installation of DSM, I feed in the PAT file and installation fails at around 55% telling me the file is wrong.

My hardware is Dell R210II (pretty old one) which most closely meets bromolow image.

Having started a fresh build with redpill and looking into the system via serial console I can see that:

1) there are no /dev/synoboot* entries (I made sure pid/vid of my USB stick are correct; /dev/synobios is there).

2) in dmesg output I see kernel lpc_ich is complaining about unknown LPC device with devId 0x1C52

3) I don't see any trace of USB block device drivers / USB as such in the system

Could you please help me with some guidance on where to look further:

1) given a very first start after building image with redpill: should there be /dev/synoboot* entries (though not mounted) ? or are they expected to appear only after successfully installing DSM from PAT file?

2) Do I suspect it right that failing to start ICH (in my case Intel C202 south bridge) kernel also fails to load USB support appropriately?

3) Were kernel files used by redpill modified somehow to drop ICH support which seems to be a part of standard lpc_ich.c according to "conventional" kernel sources ?

P.S. I have tried both bromolow (seems to be 3.x kernel) and broadwellnk (4.x kernel) with the same result - complaining about unknown LPC device 0x1c52 and failing to install PAT file.

I found your hardware at line 4516 of the modules.alias.4.json file.

"name": "lpc_ich",
       "alias": "pci:v00008086d00001C52sv*sd*bc*sc*i*"

Is your USB stick an SD card?

Have you tried changing the USB memory to another one?

And, in order not to meet the 55% damage message
The /dev/synoboot* list is absolutely necessary.

22 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

I found your hardware at line 4516 of the modules.alias.4.json file.

"name": "lpc_ich",
       "alias": "pci:v00008086d00001C52sv*sd*bc*sc*i*"

Is your USB stick an SD card?

Have you tried changing the USB memory to another one?

And, in order not to meet the 55% damage message
The /dev/synoboot* list is absolutely necessary.

Hej Peter,

thank you for your reply :)

I did find the reference to my HW as well in the modules alias file trying to figure out if some kernel module did not get into the redpill-ed image (like i have to add bnx2 support along with firmware files). As there is no lpc_ich.ko among modules and hardware seens to be on "known" list - my only guess is that the module is statically linked with the kernel.

When playing with freshly launched system ("junior mode" if I'm not mistaken): if I issue lsmod command - I can see very few modules loaded (ie bnx2) but nothing related to lpc_ich or usb. At the same time I can see usb-related *.ko files in a folder where modules presumably are.

My USB stick is not an SD card - a "genuine" 1 Gb stick in a USB port on the backplane of the server.

Looking through the dmesg - I was able to see some boot wait script reporting waiting for ~30 seconds for a device to come up, but there are no entries in dmesg with pid/vid of my USB stick which makes me think USB support does not come up at all.

I also tried with my USB keyboard plugged during boot but I see no traces of keyboard (pid/vid) in dmesg as well (I would expect at least it listed as unsupported/unknown device on USB bus).

I have yet to try a different USB stick, but honestly I can't see why current one might have failed to work (it managed to work before with bromolow 7.0.1 but does not work with exactly same image right now).

Are there any other logs worth investigating ?

is lpc_ics linked statically as I assume or has to be compiled/packed into image? (i have not found corresponding *.ko among files in repo used by redpill) 

1 hour ago, MikeaP said:

Hej Peter,

thank you for your reply :)

I did find the reference to my HW as well in the modules alias file trying to figure out if some kernel module did not get into the redpill-ed image (like i have to add bnx2 support along with firmware files). As there is no lpc_ich.ko among modules and hardware seens to be on "known" list - my only guess is that the module is statically linked with the kernel.

When playing with freshly launched system ("junior mode" if I'm not mistaken): if I issue lsmod command - I can see very few modules loaded (ie bnx2) but nothing related to lpc_ich or usb. At the same time I can see usb-related *.ko files in a folder where modules presumably are.

My USB stick is not an SD card - a "genuine" 1 Gb stick in a USB port on the backplane of the server.

Looking through the dmesg - I was able to see some boot wait script reporting waiting for ~30 seconds for a device to come up, but there are no entries in dmesg with pid/vid of my USB stick which makes me think USB support does not come up at all.

I also tried with my USB keyboard plugged during boot but I see no traces of keyboard (pid/vid) in dmesg as well (I would expect at least it listed as unsupported/unknown device on USB bus).

I have yet to try a different USB stick, but honestly I can't see why current one might have failed to work (it managed to work before with bromolow 7.0.1 but does not work with exactly same image right now).

Are there any other logs worth investigating ?

is lpc_ics linked statically as I assume or has to be compiled/packed into image? (i have not found corresponding *.ko among files in repo used by redpill) 

bnx2 seems to be listed as Qlogic's NIC.
Looking at the Junior log analysis, maybe there is another NIC?

As a result of decompressing the kernel module file(bnx2-4.4.180plus-broadwellnk.tgz), the bnx2.ko file clearly exists.
Does the /var/log/*rc* file in the junior log say it can't find the bnx2.ko file?

The bnx2.ko file must exist somewhere under the /exts/pocopico.bnx2/ directory.
Please send the log and directory contents around the above on junior.

I haven't analyzed the log yet.
Perhaps when an error starts in bnx2 ext, processing of the next ext is stopped and a 30 second timeout may occur.

Edited by Peter Suh

17 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

bnx2 seems to be listed as Qlogic's NIC.
Looking at the Junior log analysis, maybe there is another NIC?

As a result of decompressing the kernel module file(bnx2-4.4.180plus-broadwellnk.tgz), the bnx2.ko file clearly exists.
Does the /var/log/*rc* file in the junior log say it can't find the bnx2.ko file?

The bnx2.ko file must exist somewhere under the /exts/pocopico.bnx2/ directory.
Please send the log and directory contents around the above on junior.

I haven't analyzed the log yet.
Perhaps when an error starts in bnx2 ext, processing of the next ext is stopped and a 30 second timeout may occur.

I might not made myself clear :) - there is no issue with bnx2 driver - it loads and works as expected.

A reference to bnx2 was there to illustrate my question about lpc_ich: is lpc_ich driver built into/statically linked with the kernel or should i look for a loadable kernel module (lpc_ich.ko) like i had to do for bnx2 network card ?

45 minutes ago, MikeaP said:

I might not made myself clear :) - there is no issue with bnx2 driver - it loads and works as expected.

A reference to bnx2 was there to illustrate my question about lpc_ich: is lpc_ich driver built into/statically linked with the kernel or should i look for a loadable kernel module (lpc_ich.ko) like i had to do for bnx2 network card ?

EDIT  I read also few posts back.

The message doesnt mean anything. It just means rploader tried to scan on the list of extensions for a matching extension and it couldnt find any. I'm curious though as of why this PCI device gets scanned. I only scan for known devices.

BTW : https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/mfd/lpc_ich.c Thats not related to USB. 

Please send the output of ./rploader.sh identifyusb 

Edited by pocopico

Hi guys, sorry to bother you...

I have a question: I have a HP Microserver GEN7 N40L with Redpill 7.1 and Xpenology 7.1 that works perfectly (thanks to you!)

Now I found an Acer AC100 wit Xeon E3-1260L at a very good price and I would like to buy it to replace my microserver.

How can I move my current HDs without having to do it all over again?

Can I move the disks and the USB stick as they are or do I have to touch something on the stick (eg the mac address?)?

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, pocopico said:

EDIT  I read also few posts back.

The message doesnt mean anything. It just means rploader tried to scan on the list of extensions for a matching extension and it couldnt find any. I'm curious though as of why this PCI device gets scanned. I only scan for known devices.

BTW : https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/mfd/lpc_ich.c Thats not related to USB. 

Please send the output of ./rploader.sh identifyusb 

Hej Pocopico,

the message about unknown LPC device is not from rploader,sh - this message pops up in dmesg of a syno kernel.

As there is something fishy with loader (there are no /dev/synoboot* entries) and there is no mentioning of my usb stick pid/vid - this was the only meaningful error in the dmesg to start investigation from.

I will provide output of identifyusb (and can do so for lspci/lsblk/whatever from within tinycore) once i get back home.

However one more funny thing: usb kernel modules are there in syno image but trying to insmod them trom command prompt (i see it's busybox version) results in complains unresolved symbols. Seems like some other dependency is not loaded.

6 minutes ago, MikeaP said:

Hej Pocopico,

the message about unknown LPC device is not from rploader,sh - this message pops up in dmesg of a syno kernel.

As there is something fishy with loader (there are no /dev/synoboot* entries) and there is no mentioning of my usb stick pid/vid - this was the only meaningful error in the dmesg to start investigation from.

I will provide output of identifyusb (and can do so for lspci/lsblk/whatever from within tinycore) once i get back home.

However one more funny thing: usb kernel modules are there in syno image but trying to insmod them trom command prompt (i see it's busybox version) results in complains unresolved symbols. Seems like some other dependency is not loaded.

I suggest you compare the lsmod from tinycore for USB related modules and then see whats not loading on your system. Since this is the first time of reading something like that i suggest changing the USB stick and/or the USB port that its connected. 

19 hours ago, Castelrink said:

Hello everyone,

One question please: I can't find where to enter the password tc/P@ssw0rd? How should I do it to be able to continue?

Thanks.

4. Adjust CONFIG after SSH connection

Ssh connection with putty etc. from PC other than Xpenology. ( id:tc / pass : P@ssw0rd )

-> Do you not understand what this means?

When I get to this screen the system just won't let me write anything.

Sin título-1.jpg

Edited by Castelrink

8 hours ago, Pang1982 said:

Hi guys, sorry to bother you...

I have a question: I have a HP Microserver GEN7 N40L with Redpill 7.1 and Xpenology 7.1 that works perfectly (thanks to you!)

Now I found an Acer AC100 wit Xeon E3-1260L at a very good price and I would like to buy it to replace my microserver.

How can I move my current HDs without having to do it all over again?

Can I move the disks and the USB stick as they are or do I have to touch something on the stick (eg the mac address?)?

Thank you!

It might be a good idea to rebuild the TCRP loader on a USB stick.
However, if it is confirmed that the NIC ext added by auto-detection in the old PC is exactly the same, it is okay to use it as is.

If you try the latter method,
You may need to attach a USB stick to your MS Windows PC, access the first FAT partition, edit the BOOT/GRUB/grub.cfg file, and adjust SataPortMap, etc.

It is recommended to modify the MAC address if you used the real MAC address of the old PC on the USB stick.
If the virtual MAC address generated by TCRP is recorded, it is okay to leave it alone.

The disks used in the old PC can be used in the new PC without any changes.

3 hours ago, Castelrink said:

4. Adjust CONFIG after SSH connection

Ssh connection with putty etc. from PC other than Xpenology. ( id:tc / pass : P@ssw0rd )

-> Do you not understand what this means?

When I get to this screen the system just won't let me write anything.

Sin título-1.jpg

In TC Linux, the SSH authentication must be renewed every time you boot TC.

So, you have to delete the known_host file in the ./ssh folder every time for the connection to succeed.

To avoid such trouble, it is better to use putty or other connection utility.

In my case, I use portx, a free program, and it renews the SSH authentication every time I connect, so I can connect conveniently.

https://portx.online/en/#download

Edited by Peter Suh

7 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

It might be a good idea to rebuild the TCRP loader on a USB stick.
However, if it is confirmed that the NIC ext added by auto-detection in the old PC is exactly the same, it is okay to use it as is.

If you try the latter method,
You may need to attach a USB stick to your MS Windows PC, access the first FAT partition, edit the BOOT/GRUB/grub.cfg file, and adjust SataPortMap, etc.

It is recommended to modify the MAC address if you used the real MAC address of the old PC on the USB stick.
If the virtual MAC address generated by TCRP is recorded, it is okay to leave it alone.

The disks used in the old PC can be used in the new PC without any changes.

Perfect, thank you very much :)

On 8/1/2022 at 6:36 PM, pocopico said:

I suggest you compare the lsmod from tinycore for USB related modules and then see whats not loading on your system. Since this is the first time of reading something like that i suggest changing the USB stick and/or the USB port that its connected. 

I finally got my hands on my box server I have troubles with.

Following advise from Pocopico: a straight comparison of lsmod between TC and Syno on the server with usb stick in the very same port:

TinyCore

Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
cpufreq_powersave      12288  0 
cpufreq_conservative    12288  0 
cpufreq_userspace      12288  0 
mgag200                24576  1 
drm_kms_helper        114688  4 mgag200
drm                   286720  3 mgag200,drm_kms_helper
agpgart                28672  1 drm
backlight              12288  1 drm
cec                    32768  1 drm_kms_helper
squashfs               32768 57 
loop                   24576 114 
ipmi_ssif              20480  0 
wmi                    16384  0 
acpi_ipmi              12288  0 
ipmi_si                36864  1 
ipmi_msghandler        32768  3 ipmi_ssif,acpi_ipmi,ipmi_si
pcspkr                 12288  0 
lpc_ich                20480  0 
bnx2                   61440  0 

Syno:

SynologyNAS> lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: G
mpt3sas               336499  2
bnx2                   72295  0
redpill               149032  0

Just to make sure modules are there:

SynologyNAS> ls /usr/lib/modules/
adt7475.ko             leds-atmega1608.ko     syno_hddmon.ko
cdc-acm.ko             leds-lp3943.ko         synobios.ko
dca.ko                 lockd.ko               synofsbd.ko
e1000e.ko              loop.ko                synorbd.ko
ehci-hcd.ko            mpt3sas.ko             udp_tunnel.ko
ehci-pci.ko            mv14xx.ko              usb-common.ko
fat.ko                 nfs.ko                 usb-storage.ko
grace.ko               nfsv3.ko               usbcore.ko
hid.ko                 pgdrv.ko               usbhid.ko
i2c-algo-bit.ko        phy_alloc_0810_x64.ko  vfat.ko
i40e.ko                r8168.ko               vxlan.ko
igb.ko                 sg.ko                  xhci-hcd.ko
ip6_udp_tunnel.ko      sha256_generic.ko      xhci-pci.ko
ixgbe.ko               sunrpc.ko

and some more things that might be interesting:

SynologyNAS> ls /proc/bus/
input  pci

In TC pci and usb buses looked as following:

lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/Ivy Bridge DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C202 Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
02:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
03:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)

lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0781:5567 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Blade
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0424:2514 Microchip Technology, Inc. (formerly SMSC) USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:c30e Logitech, Inc. UltraX Keyboard (Y-BL49)
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0461:4e22 Primax Electronics, Ltd Dell Mouse, 2 Buttons, Modell: MS111-P
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

tree view:

/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/2p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/6p, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 1, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
        |__ Port 5: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
            |__ Port 3: Dev 6, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/2p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/6p, 480M

identifying USB with script:

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh identifyusb now
Found SanDisk Cruzer SerialNumber: 20060266521896B3438C
Vendor ID : 0x0781 Product ID : 0x5567
Should i update the user_config.json with these values ? [Yy/Nn]
y
tc@box:~$

And now some weirdness - I have done a few insmods manually:

SynologyNAS> ls /usr/lib/modules
adt7475.ko             leds-atmega1608.ko     syno_hddmon.ko
cdc-acm.ko             leds-lp3943.ko         synobios.ko
dca.ko                 lockd.ko               synofsbd.ko
e1000e.ko              loop.ko                synorbd.ko
ehci-hcd.ko            mpt3sas.ko             udp_tunnel.ko
ehci-pci.ko            mv14xx.ko              usb-common.ko
fat.ko                 nfs.ko                 usb-storage.ko
grace.ko               nfsv3.ko               usbcore.ko
hid.ko                 pgdrv.ko               usbhid.ko
i2c-algo-bit.ko        phy_alloc_0810_x64.ko  vfat.ko
i40e.ko                r8168.ko               vxlan.ko
igb.ko                 sg.ko                  xhci-hcd.ko
ip6_udp_tunnel.ko      sha256_generic.ko      xhci-pci.ko
ixgbe.ko               sunrpc.ko
SynologyNAS> insmod /usr/lib/modules/usb-common.ko
SynologyNAS> insmod /usr/lib/modules/usbcore.ko
[ 2972.283571] ACPI: bus type USB registered
[ 2972.287599] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[ 2972.293092] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[ 2972.298425] usbcore: registered new interface driver ethub
[ 2972.303921] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[ 2972.308970] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:166> usbcore registered, adding device watcher
[ 2972.316625] <redpill/call_protected.c:112> Got ptr ffffffffa00bddb0 for usb_register_notify
[ 2972.324966] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:127> Registered USB device notifier
SynologyNAS> lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: G
usbcore               199999  0
usb_common              2286  1 usbcore
mpt3sas               336499  2
bnx2                   72295  0
redpill               149032  0
SynologyNAS> insmod /usr/lib/modules/usb-storage.ko
[ 3008.504224] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
SynologyNAS> ls /proc/bu
buddyinfo  bus/
SynologyNAS> ls /proc/bus/
input  pci    usb
SynologyNAS> insmod /usr/lib/modules/ehci-hcd.ko
[ 3050.895123] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
SynologyNAS> insmod /usr/lib/modules/ehci-pci.ko
[ 3061.797531] ehci-pci: EHCI PCI platform driver
[ 3061.802090] ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: EHCI Host Controller
[ 3061.807320] ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[ 3061.814716] ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: debug port 2
[ 3061.819254] DMAR: 32bit 0000:00:1a.0 uses non-identity mapping
[ 3061.825091] DMAR: Setting identity map for device 0000:00:1a.0 [0x0 - 0xfff]
[ 3061.836046] ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: cache line size of 64 is not supported
[ 3061.842838] ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: irq 20, io mem 0xc5206000
[ 3061.853989] ehci-pci 0000:00:1a.0: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[ 3061.859869] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 3061.863636] hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
[ 3061.867763] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=1d6b, pid=0002> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
[ 3061.880467] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.0: EHCI Host Controller
[ 3061.885696] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
[ 3061.893094] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.0: debug port 2
[ 3061.897633] DMAR: 32bit 0000:00:1d.0 uses non-identity mapping
[ 3061.903467] DMAR: Setting identity map for device 0000:00:1d.0 [0x0 - 0xfff]
[ 3061.914415] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.0: cache line size of 64 is not supported
[ 3061.921206] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.0: irq 23, io mem 0xc5205000
[ 3061.931986] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.0: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[ 3061.937852] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 3061.941641] hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
[ 3061.945729] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=1d6b, pid=0002> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
SynologyNAS> [ 3062.189982] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
[ 3062.267982] usb 2-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-pci
[ 3062.337286] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[ 3062.344172] hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
[ 3062.348168] hub 1-1:1.0: 6 ports detected
[ 3062.353308] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=8087, pid=0024> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
[ 3062.411285] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[ 3062.418069] drivers/usb/core/hub.c (2940) Same device found. Change serial to ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffa0
[ 3062.428299] hub 2-1:1.0: USB hub found
[ 3062.432162] hub 2-1:1.0: 6 ports detected
[ 3062.437307] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=8087, pid=0024> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
[ 3062.720983] usb 2-1.1: new low-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
[ 3062.827282] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[ 3062.834470] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=0461, pid=4e22> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
[ 3062.929985] usb 2-1.2: new low-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
[ 3063.060157] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[ 3063.068204] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=046d, pid=c30e> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
[ 3063.163987] usb 2-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
[ 3063.265283] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[ 3063.272070] drivers/usb/core/hub.c (2940) Same device found. Change serial to ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffa0
[ 3063.282146] drivers/usb/core/hub.c (2940) Same device found. Change serial to ffffffd1ffffffb2ffffffdbffffffa1
[ 3063.292616] hub 2-1.5:1.0: USB hub found
[ 3063.296657] hub 2-1.5:1.0: 4 ports detected
[ 3063.301663] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=0424, pid=2514> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
[ 3122.344596] usb 2-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 3
[ 3123.811157] usb 2-1.1: new low-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci
[ 3123.917588] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[ 3123.924741] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=0461, pid=4e22> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
[ 3184.040401] usb 2-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 6
[ 3185.507330] usb 2-1.1: new low-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci
[ 3185.613518] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[ 3185.620714] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=0461, pid=4e22> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
[ 3245.736205] usb 2-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 7
[ 3247.202503] usb 2-1.1: new low-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-pci
[ 3247.308697] Got empty serial number. Generate serial number from product.
[ 3247.315849] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:75> Found new device <vid=0461, pid=4e22> - didn't match expected <vid=0781, pid=5567> (prev_shimmed=0)
[ 3320.389710] usb 2-1.5.1: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
[ 3320.492656] usb-storage 2-1.5.1:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 3320.499136] scsi host7: usb-storage 2-1.5.1:1.0
[ 3320.503735] <redpill/usb_boot_shim.c:91> Device <vid=0781, pid=5567> shimmed to <vid=f400, pid=f400>
[ 3321.508645] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Blade             1.27 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 3321.517462] <redpill/scsi_notifier.c:65> Probing SCSI device using sd_probe_shim
[ 3321.524851] <redpill/scsi_notifier.c:77> Triggering SCSI_EVT_DEV_PROBING notifications
[ 3321.532763] <redpill/scsi_notifier.c:87> Calling original sd_probe()
[ 3321.539136] <redpill/scsi_notifier.c:91> Triggering SCSI_EVT_DEV_PROBED notifications - sd_probe() exit=0
[ 3321.540265] sd 7:0:0:0: [synoboot] 7821312 512-byte logical blocks: (4.00 GB/3.73 GiB)
[ 3321.541636] sd 7:0:0:0: [synoboot] Write Protect is off
[ 3321.541638] sd 7:0:0:0: [synoboot] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
[ 3321.542634] sd 7:0:0:0: [synoboot] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 3321.554636]  synoboot: synoboot1 synoboot2 synoboot3
[ 3321.562280] sd 7:0:0:0: [synoboot] Attached SCSI removable disk

SynologyNAS> ls /dev/syno*
/dev/synobios   /dev/synoboot1  /dev/synoboot3
/dev/synoboot   /dev/synoboot2
SynologyNAS>

Why did it not start usb support automatically ? How is this process controlled ?

Even after enabling usb manually and clearly getting /dev/synoboot* installation fails (at random % from 46 to 55 - at least it never gets beyond 55%).

In syno console it says the following during installation:

[ 5604.191597] md0: detected capacity change from 8589869056 to 0
[ 5604.197434] md: md0: set sdh1 to auto_remap [0]
[ 5604.201965] md: md0: set sdg1 to auto_remap [0]
[ 5604.206495] md: md0 stopped.
[ 5604.209376] md: unbind<sdh1>
[ 5604.221139] md: export_rdev(sdh1)
[ 5604.224457] md: unbind<sdg1>
[ 5604.232139] md: export_rdev(sdg1)
[ 5604.323006] md1: detected capacity change from 2147418112 to 0
[ 5604.328841] md: md1: set sdh2 to auto_remap [0]
[ 5604.333374] md: md1: set sdg2 to auto_remap [0]
[ 5604.337903] md: md1 stopped.
[ 5604.340790] md: unbind<sdh2>
[ 5604.348137] md: export_rdev(sdh2)
[ 5604.351481] md: unbind<sdg2>
[ 5604.361137] md: export_rdev(sdg2)
[ 5607.724693] md: bind<sdg1>
[ 5607.732300] md: bind<sdh1>
[ 5607.735130] md/raid1:md0: active with 2 out of 16 mirrors
[ 5607.749681] md0: detected capacity change from 0 to 8589869056
[ 5610.872542] md: bind<sdg2>
[ 5610.884373] md: bind<sdh2>
[ 5610.887208] md/raid1:md1: active with 2 out of 16 mirrors
[ 5610.901029] md1: detected capacity change from 0 to 2147418112
[ 5611.477200] EXT4-fs (md0): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities
[ 5611.529559] EXT4-fs (md0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[ 5611.635525] EXT4-fs (md0): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities
[ 5611.679563] EXT4-fs (md0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[ 5611.710518] EXT4-fs (md0): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities
[ 5611.744292] EXT4-fs (md0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
[ 5647.549047] ext2: synoboot2 mounted, process=updater

and an error in /tmp/installer_sh.log

umount: can't unmount /volume1: Invalid argument
raidtool destroy 0
raidtool destroy 1
[CREATE] Raidtool initsys
[CREATE][  ok  ] Raidtool initsys
[RESETROOTCOMPATIBLEBIT] /usr/syno/sbin/reset_root_compatiblie_bit.sh
[RESETROOTCOMPATIBLEBIT][  ok  ] /usr/syno/sbin/reset_root_compatiblie_bit.sh
[MKSWAP] /sbin/mkswap /dev/md1
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 2147414016 bytes
[MKSWAP][  ok  ] /sbin/mkswap /dev/md1
[MKFS] MakeSystemFSWithPrjQuota /dev/md0
mke2fs 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
Creating filesystem with 2097136 4k blocks and 524288 inodes
Filesystem UUID: 625265af-ce09-4173-b3fd-94d1e839d471
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632

Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (16384 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

[MKFS][  ok  ] MakeSystemFSWithPrjQuota /dev/md0
Failed to set alarm time
Excution Error

any help or guidance on where to dig further would be appreciated.

Hi, I have problem with migrating from JUNs 6.2.3.

At first I tried to instal 920+ version on my spare disk and it worked just fine.

So I wanted to migrate my current system to the new one, but after installing the .pat file the 10 minutes countdown begins but the station will not boot. Synology assistant will not find the station. I tried to reboot after 20 minutes or so and it went back to the migration screen...

Any ideas?

thanks

Problem "solved".

It just took incredibly long time to boot. I mean like 30 minutes.

Now I'm trying to make Surveillance station work with H265 codec. I tried the procedure with patching codec, but I dont have real S/N and MAC so it does not work.

Is it a problem of DSM 7.1 and SS9 only? Will it work if I downgrade to DSM 7.0.1 + SS8(Are these codecs included in SS8 without need of side instalation?)?.

I have 2 reolink cameras. One is H264 only and it works fine all the time. Second supports H265 and it keeps disconnecting. It runs somethimes for few minutes or hours. 2-3 days at best and then it disconnect and I have to power it off and on again. I suppose it's a problem with codecs because I force it to use H264. but I'm not sure. Maybe it is a faulty unit.

Hello and good afternoon,

A week ago I posted in this thread an issue trying to do a fresh install in an spare disk before moving my RAID from 6.2.3 to 7.0, didn't get any answer so far, you can see more details in here:

In short, whenever the system boots, a "install" screen is always displayed, no matter how many time I select the manual .pat, it always reach 70% and then reboot and "install" screen is shown over and over again... Any ideas? No errors are displayed at all

Regards!

1 hour ago, Tone said:

Hello and good afternoon,

A week ago I posted in this thread an issue trying to do a fresh install in an spare disk before moving my RAID from 6.2.3 to 7.0, didn't get any answer so far, you can see more details in here:

In short, whenever the system boots, a "install" screen is always displayed, no matter how many time I select the manual .pat, it always reach 70% and then reboot and "install" screen is shown over and over again... Any ideas? No errors are displayed at all

Regards!

Have you tried disabling the onboard SATA port?… I had an issues installing the pat file on a Dell R620 until I disabled the onboard SATA which is for the optical drive in my case. Give that a try if you have not already.

12 hours ago, rojoone2 said:

Have you tried disabling the onboard SATA port?… I had an issues installing the pat file on a Dell R620 until I disabled the onboard SATA which is for the optical drive in my case. Give that a try if you have not already.

Thanks for the tip but apparently there's no option in bios to disable the onboard SATA. Bios is Megatrends ZA10A280 just if its of any help...

31 minutes ago, Tone said:

Thanks for the tip but apparently there's no option in bios to disable the onboard SATA. Bios is https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00028430en_us&docLocale=en_US just if its of any help...

Have a look at this document from HP about enabling and disabling SATA and UEFI:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00028430en_us&docLocale=en_US