XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

On 7/15/2023 at 6:42 PM, chienbinhso13 said:

I want to ask how many drives can LSI 2008 map? As I am currently running 8 drives, when installing 2 new drives, it overwrites 2 old drives on the interface and causes errors. I'm trying to fix the sata map, but when I boot into TC I can't execute the command ./rploader.sh anymore. I tried searching with find -type f -name rploader.sh but it didn't work either. I tried downloading the file rploader.sh from github to include it but when I run it, it can't find the user-config.json file.

Burn a new USB with the image from this link.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.4.3-2

If only HBA such as LSI 2008 is used, adjustment of SataPortMap is not required.

Among the first-time users of TCRP, as follows:
I confirmed that I could not enter the X terminal used for TCRP BUILD LOADER.

The date in my MOBO BIOS was pointing to 7/9/2023, 8 days ago.
In this state, it is impossible to enter the X terminal preset in TCRP.

Preset the date and time in the BIOS at least close to the actual time.

If you change this, you will be able to enter.

After entering the TCRP X terminal, automatic time correction is sometimes processed again.

Can someone please confirm that Surveillance Station licenses will not break if I update my DS920+ nas from DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 to the currently latest ds920p-7.2.0-64570 Update 1, along with updating both SS packages to the latest 9.1.2-10854?

I plan to just boot the DVA1622 redpill loader image and run the commands below the way I have before.  Or maybe I need to reinstall redpill loader from scratch? Mind you that my DVA1622 DSM only shows me I can update to firmware ds920p-7.2.0-64570 (without Update 1), although I see I could manually download DSM_DVA1622_64570.pat with Update 1.

I'm running dva1622 from VMWare Workstation 16.2.

a. Perform rploader update by running ./rploader.sh update

b. Perform a fullupdate to update all local files of your image by running ./rploader.sh fullupgrade

c. Change your serial and mac address by running ./rploader.sh serialgen DVA1622 realmac

d. Update user_config.json with your VID:PID of your usb stick by running ./rploader.sh identifyusb

e. Update user_config.json with your SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap by running ./rploader.sh satamap

Are these steps still correct? I haven't played with redpill for some time. I just don't want to have SS break licenses like it has for me in the past. 

Btw, I always forget this but I believe I'm supposed to manually download the SurveillanceStation-x86_64-9.1.2-10854_openvino.spk package from Synology for DVA1622 correct?

3 hours ago, yorkman said:

Can someone please confirm that Surveillance Station licenses will not break if I update my DS920+ nas from DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 2 to the currently latest ds920p-7.2.0-64570 Update 1, along with updating both SS packages to the latest 9.1.2-10854?

I plan to just boot the DVA1622 redpill loader image and run the commands below the way I have before.  Or maybe I need to reinstall redpill loader from scratch? Mind you that my DVA1622 DSM only shows me I can update to firmware ds920p-7.2.0-64570 (without Update 1), although I see I could manually download DSM_DVA1622_64570.pat with Update 1.

I'm running dva1622 from VMWare Workstation 16.2.

a. Perform rploader update by running ./rploader.sh update

b. Perform a fullupdate to update all local files of your image by running ./rploader.sh fullupgrade

c. Change your serial and mac address by running ./rploader.sh serialgen DVA1622 realmac

d. Update user_config.json with your VID:PID of your usb stick by running ./rploader.sh identifyusb

e. Update user_config.json with your SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap by running ./rploader.sh satamap

Are these steps still correct? I haven't played with redpill for some time. I just don't want to have SS break licenses like it has for me in the past. 

Btw, I always forget this but I believe I'm supposed to manually download the SurveillanceStation-x86_64-9.1.2-10854_openvino.spk package from Synology for DVA1622 correct?

please refer to the guide on my M SHELL for TCRP github page.
Build the loader menu-driven.
Modules are added automatically, so you don't have to add them one by one.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill

First of all, DVA1622 knows that the serial's rules must be correct to activate the Surveillance license.
Serials currently in use or serials to be added in the future must be guaranteed with UBR in the middle.
My M SHELL shared above is already creating a serial like that.

And the final version that M SHELL is currently using for the loader build is 64570 U1.

It is not possible to determine the detailed version only with the pat file name.
Verification with the md5 checksum provided by Synology is correct.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

please refer to the guide on my M SHELL for TCRP github page.
Build the loader menu-driven.
Modules are added automatically, so you don't have to add them one by one.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill

It is not possible to determine the detailed version only with the pat file name.
Verification with the md5 checksum provided by Synology is correct.

Thanks. Trying the vmdk release but the menu defaults to Korean for some reason and I don't really know what I'm selecting. I pressed ENTER for everything after selecting DVA1622 so it looks like that's enough. After rebooting though it says EFI Booted system with NO EFI even though the vm I created has UEFI enabled. But I assume that's not a problem as I'm able to continue with DSM setup.

Other than that minor issue great job sir. Seems to work perfectly and so easy to setup!

Update: I was able to get the right language by modifying the user_config.json file's ucode to en_US

Edited by yorkman
view
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, yorkman said:

Thanks. Trying the vmdk release but the menu defaults to Korean for some reason and I don't really know what I'm selecting. I pressed ENTER for everything after selecting DVA1622 so it looks like that's enough. After rebooting though it says EFI Booted system with NO EFI even though the vm I created has UEFI enabled. But I assume that's not a problem as I'm able to continue with DSM setup.

Other than that minor issue great job sir. Seems to work perfectly and so easy to setup!

Update: I was able to get the right language by modifying the user_config.json file's ucode to en_US

The language setting of the menu is set to be automatically designated by searching for the country of access to the Internet, but this part does not seem to work well.
Actually my native language is Korean.
The way you figured out is also one of the ways to change the language code.
The "l" key is a shortcut to change the language.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I think I just found a bug. When I try to access http://MyDva1622IP:7681 from my Edge browser, for example, I just see very fast flicking between what says "Connection Closed" and "308x69" so I wouldn't be able to troubleshoot in the future if needed.

Also, the "Press g, e, j" options don't work once booted. Lastly, the screen says I'm using DSM 7.2-64570 Update 0 when it's DSM 7.2-64570 Update 1

Edited by yorkman

4 hours ago, yorkman said:

I think I just found a bug. When I try to access http://MyDva1622IP:7681 from my Edge browser, for example, I just see very fast flicking between what says "Connection Closed" and "308x69" so I wouldn't be able to troubleshoot in the future if needed.

Also, the "Press g, e, j" options don't work once booted. Lastly, the screen says I'm using DSM 7.2-64570 Update 0 when it's DSM 7.2-64570 Update 1

First of all, thanks for the reporting.

The first problem is not a bug.
Port 7681 is dedicated to the TTYD web console and is used as a monitoring port when DSM is in Junior mode or in an abnormal state.
The 7681 TTYD port does not work when DSM is operating normally.
This is an unnecessary attempt.

The second problem is also not a bug.
g, e, j Keys must be operated within 7 seconds before the FRIEND kernel is loaded.
The above 3 option keys are each necessary for the FRIEND kernel to deal with problems or necessary actions before loading, and are coded to operate as such.

The problem that FRIEND does not indicate the SmallFixVersion version correctly is also not a critical bug, and you should refer to the version found in DSM.
Pocopico, which developed the original FRIEND KERNEL, is also aware of the problem, but it seems that there is no need to fix it.

• Like 1

It looks like @pocopico has been on vacation for over 10 days.

A problem occurs when the M.2 NMVe uses a model based on DT in 7.2-64570 U2.

If you are using pocopico's original TCRP and the above problem occurs, you can take action with the script below.

It looks like it will be patched when pocopico returns from vacation.

The nvme-cache addon script needs to be made current.

sudo -i
curl -kLO https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tcrp-addons/main/nvme-cache/installondsm.sh
chmod +x installondsm.sh
sh installondsm.sh

Rebooting is required, and to check if the service has been created well, check the command below.
It is normal even if it looks inactive.

for file in `ls /etc/systemd/system/*.service | awk -F / '{print $NF}'`; do systemctl status ${file}; done

On 7/17/2023 at 5:11 PM, Peter Suh said:

Burn a new USB with the image from this link.

If only HBA such as LSI 2008 is used, adjustment of SataPortMap is not required.

currently i am running DSM7.1-42661 DVA3221. However, it only accepts 7 drives. if I plug in more then the new drive takes the place of the old drive and DSM gives an error.
I tried to fix maxdisks in synoinfo.conf and grub but it didn't work

7 hours ago, chienbinhso13 said:

currently i am running DSM7.1-42661 DVA3221. However, it only accepts 7 drives. if I plug in more then the new drive takes the place of the old drive and DSM gives an error.
I tried to fix maxdisks in synoinfo.conf and grub but it didn't work

If you are using bare metal, try modifying the settings as below.
If it is a VM, please let me know again. You must use another method.

Don't try to edit grub.cfg directly.

Make sure you can edit the "user_config.json" file in M SHELL's bootloader build screen.
This is what should be written in it.

"DiskIdxMap": "1000",
"SataPortMap": "12",
"SasIdxMap: "0",
"MaxDisks: "24"

USE DDSML, Not EUDEV

The loader needs to be rebuilt.
7.1.1-42661 is not supported,
Did you build 7.1.1-42218 ?

And, from the post below, there are results from testing related content.
I haven't had a case for the DVA3221 yet, but I think it's worth a try.

• Like 1

Currently on baremetal 7.1, using tcrp .9.4.0.

Now looking to update to dsm 7.2 and with that to the new tcrp. My xpenology box is remote and I have ipmi access to it. Anyway I can update the USB stick to the latest tcrp? Does the loader update command do that Or a new .img burn is required?

While doing this remotely is a bit risky I think with ipmi access I should be mostly ok. This time around I'm probably also going to use the "with friend" option which seems to be on by default on the latest tcrp, is that correct?

Edited by alirz1

1 hour ago, alirz1 said:

Currently on baremetal 7.1, using tcrp .9.4.0.

Now looking to update to dsm 7.2 and with that to the new tcrp. My xpenology box is remote and I have ipmi access to it. Anyway I can update the USB stick to the latest tcrp? Does the loader update command do that Or a new .img burn is required?

While doing this remotely is a bit risky I think with ipmi access I should be mostly ok. This time around I'm probably also going to use the "with friend" option which seems to be on by default on the latest tcrp, is that correct?

If you can control the grub boot menu sequence with ipmi remote access and even control the TC linux kernel console,

it is recommended to rebuild the bootloader for DSM 7.2.

After rebooting, you will be asked to install the pat file for DSM 7.2.

Just proceed with the installation as requested.

Edited by Peter Suh

14 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

If you are using bare metal, try modifying the settings as below.
If it is a VM, please let me know again. You must use another method.

Don't try to edit grub.cfg directly.

Make sure you can edit the "user_config.json" file in M SHELL's bootloader build screen.
This is what should be written in it.

"DiskIdxMap": "1000",
"SataPortMap": "12",
"SasIdxMap: "0",
"MaxDisks: "24"

USE DDSML, Not EUDEV

The loader needs to be rebuilt.
7.1.1-42661 is not supported,
Did you build 7.1.1-42218 ?

And, from the post below, there are results from testing related content.
I haven't had a case for the DVA3221 yet, but I think it's worth a try.

Sorry that I didn't provide enough information from the beginning. I'm using ESXI

2 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

If you can control the grub boot menu sequence with ipmi remote access and even control the TC linux kernel console,

So I can update the bootloader via command line right? I don’t need to burn a new tcrp image to the usb flash drive that is connected to my bare metal?

that’s the only think I don’t how can do remotely but other than that yes I have full keyboard display from the xpenology box via a connected pikvm.

would loader rebuild and dsm install/migrate to 7.2 carry over my current dsm 7.1 configs and apps etc?

21 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

one thing that confuses me that during build process, TC will download the selected DSM version e.g it'll download "7.1.1 DSM_DS918+ 42962.pat". But it wont say which build/update version is this PAT. So once the build is done and im at the DSM installation/migration GUI and have to select or download a dsm pat how do i know which UPDATE/BUILD of 7.1.1 i need to provide? i've been going at this for a and tried providing different pat files of the same 7.1.1 but my installation hangs at 99% everytime.

testing a VM 7.2 build with tcrp 0.9.4.9 but its failing with this error:

[#] Extension misc for ds918p_64570 platform is already up to date
[-] The extension pocopico.e1000 was found. However, the extension index has no recipe for ds918p_64570 platform. It may not be
[-] supported on that platform, or author didn't updated it for that platform yet. You can try running
[-] "ext-manager.sh update" to refresh indexes for all extensions manually. Below are the currently known information about
[-] the extension stored locally:
[#] ========================================== pocopico.e1000 ==========================================

i the .vmx file of the vm does have that ethernet listed as: ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

21 hours ago, chienbinhso13 said:

Sorry that I didn't provide enough information from the beginning. I'm using ESXI

This setting also worked on esxi.
However, you need to try changing SataportMap and DiskIdxMap as follows.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61839-tinycore-redpill-loader-build-support-tool-m-shell/?do=findComment&comment=446694

Edited by Peter Suh
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, alirz1 said:

testing a VM 7.2 build with tcrp 0.9.4.9 but its failing with this error:

[#] Extension misc for ds918p_64570 platform is already up to date
[-] The extension pocopico.e1000 was found. However, the extension index has no recipe for ds918p_64570 platform. It may not be
[-] supported on that platform, or author didn't updated it for that platform yet. You can try running
[-] "ext-manager.sh update" to refresh indexes for all extensions manually. Below are the currently known information about
[-] the extension stored locally:
[#] ========================================== pocopico.e1000 ==========================================

i the .vmx file of the vm does have that ethernet listed as: ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

Even now, if you can process the rploader.sh command through ipmi, you can switch from pocopico's TCRP to my M SHELL for TCRP.
Execute the following command.

curl -kLO https://raw.githubusercontent.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/master/my.sh.gz; tar -zxvf my.sh.gz ; ./rploader.sh backup; sudo reboot

After rebooting, if you enter the TCRP loader build again, A menu-driven loader build like ARPL will be provided.