raidsm

reclaiming / compacting unused VMDK space for backup purposes

Hi all! 

Can somebody help reducing/compacting a DSM VMDK file from 30G  to what it's really using (1TB) ? Should I've made a snapshot right after my DSM installed with my packages?

I want to make a full backup of my virtual xpenology guest VMware fusion machine (OSX host on a SSD). The thing is the xpenology is using approximately 1 gig MAX but , my VMDK size is about 30 GIG as of now... I must have use this space from previous downloaded files but deleted those afterward. My recycle bin in DSM is turned off and empty. The backup is mainly because I use this for many thing including a docker homebridge setup and some other things and I don't want to start over if my HD dies..

I've read that

1-BTRFS (and EXT4)  partition doesn't need to be "defragmented" like a ntfs partition for windows guest vm it seems. 

2- can't install VMware tools on DSM guest os

3- As I use a SSD I'm not convince about using a software that zero out all unused bites (unnecessary wear?)

thanks for your help!

EDIT: I've run the DSM volume defragmentation and no change on the VMDK file size. Volume is at 1.02 GB but VMDK file size still at 30Gb..

Edited by raidsm

On 10/26/2019 at 9:11 AM, bearcat said:

What provisioning mode was used when you made the VMDK?

I did not choosen the pre alocated option neither the  split into 2 gig when creating it.