XPEnology Community

ARPL 7.1 USB Storage Fixed Yet?

11 часов назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

I did some searching, and the latest post I saw here didn't really clear this up. Any time I still connect USB external drive, it shows as internal. 

Is ARPL able to fix or can I fix USB storage on my 918+? 

Thank you 

Why do you need it? It makes sense to use such a connection only for some temporary "one-time" actions. With a constant connection there is a high risk of incorrect actions, failures and data loss.

For example, I placed a DSM volume on usb disks only for the duration of the backup when completely reinstalling the server. I didn't quickly find how to do it in DSM, so I created a datastore for ESXi on usb disks (DSM works for me as a virtual machine in ESXi).

On 7/19/2023 at 10:15 PM, dj_nsk said:

Why do you need it? It makes sense to use such a connection only for some temporary "one-time" actions. With a constant connection there is a high risk of incorrect actions, failures and data loss.

For example, I placed a DSM volume on usb disks only for the duration of the backup when completely reinstalling the server. I didn't quickly find how to do it in DSM, so I created a datastore for ESXi on usb disks (DSM works for me as a virtual machine in ESXi).

WHY do i need it? this post wasn't a discussion on WHY to do it.

But i'll flatter your response by asking, why does Synology DSM have USB external storage?

There's plenty of reasons. My only reason is so that i can plug in a drive and move things via usb. 

With that being said, is it impossible to get USB external storage working with ARPL and 7.1+?

10 часов назад, Captainfingerbang сказал:

With that being said, is it impossible to get USB external storage working with ARPL and 7.1+?

I'm sorry - I must have read it wrong. I thought that you want to see an external USB drive as an internal one and use it to create a pool of resources.

Do you really see them as internal??? Perhaps you installed some addon or patch earlier?

In the case of TCRP, it was reconfirmed that there is no problem as it recognizes the USB stick as another external device as it did originally.

I think the fundamental problem is that ARPL, which adopts EUDEV, is not compatible with USB devices.
In case of M-SHELL for TCRP, EUDEV is not used.

2023-07-2212_51_24.thumb.png.224cb813c1ef81602a4a9275e4390197.png

Edited by Peter Suh

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 9:43 PM, Peter Suh said:

Are you ARPL-i18n?
If so, do you have the following settings in your user_config.json?

synoinfo:
esataportcfg: "0x00"
usbportcfg: "0x00"
internalportcfg: "0xffffffff"
maxdisks: "22"

Dude, i pray youre still on these forums.

I upgraded etc finally got around to doing this...

I have 7 internal disks and 1 usb disk that it boots from, so total 8 disks.

Why am i still having this problem???

I put exactly this at the end of that synoinfo part and look what happens? STILL EXTERNAL. AND I IMAGINE, probably cant use usb storage for file moving etc.

There is 1 thing though... Im running a DVA3221, and JUST updated to 7.2. The thing is, i switched to ARPL-I8n, the newer one..

Could that be causing this???? Im SICK of not being able to use USB storage for backup or WHATEVER.. its annoying  plz help

synoinfo:
maxdisks: "8"

And to make it WORSE, i now get to see this annoying error warning that my boot usb drive is not in use! Like WTH!  

Ideas Gentlemen?

ps DVA3221 7.2-64570 Update 3  I3 8100 B360 hd3  ARPL-I8n

Screenshot 2023-09-01 015258.png

error.png

Edited by Captainfingerbang

1 hour ago, Captainfingerbang said:

I put exactly this at the end of that synoinfo part and look what happens? STILL EXTERNAL. AND I IMAGINE, probably cant use usb storage for file moving etc.

There is 1 thing though... Im running a DVA3221, and JUST updated to 7.2. The thing is, i switched to ARPL-I8n, the newer one..

Could that be causing this???? Im SICK of not being able to use USB storage for backup or WHATEVER.. its annoying  plz help

synoinfo:

And to make it WORSE, i now get to see this annoying error warning that my boot usb drive is not in use! Like WTH!  

Ideas Gentlemen?

error.png

Would you like to try DVA3221 in my M SHELL for TCRP?

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.5.0

When it comes to ARPL-i18n issues, it is difficult for me to get deeply involved.

1 hour ago, Captainfingerbang said:

synoinfo:

Ideas Gentlemen?

error.png

However, it seems like you used an unproven device.
It seems like the device called sata to usb has confused Redpill.
It seems that the ARPL boot screen will recognize it as an ATA bootloader, not a USB stick.

Originally, Synology supported a bootloader called SATA DOM.
SATA DOM is actually a device that is not easy to obtain and use, and it is not common for motherboards to support it.

Therefore, the technology to FAKE SSD like SATA DOM is applied to Redpill.

However, this part is not perfect so far.
The most proven and safe method is to use only USB sticks.
Of course, it is not as durable as SATA disks, but it is a much easier method than having to deal with various complicated variables.

4 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

However, it seems like you used an unproven device.
It seems like the device called sata to usb has confused Redpill.
It seems that the ARPL boot screen will recognize it as an ATA bootloader, not a USB stick.

Originally, Synology supported a bootloader called SATA DOM.
SATA DOM is actually a device that is not easy to obtain and use, and it is not common for motherboards to support it.

Therefore, the technology to FAKE SSD like SATA DOM is applied to Redpill.

However, this part is not perfect so far.
The most proven and safe method is to use only USB sticks.
Of course, it is not as durable as SATA disks, but it is a much easier method than having to deal with various complicated variables.

Ive read quite a few folks suggesting SSD as boot Drive so there isn't kernel panics.

Would you then suggest that everyone not using a USB flash device/drive gets the same error I am getting here

6 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

Ive read quite a few folks suggesting SSD as boot Drive so there isn't kernel panics.

Would you then suggest that everyone not using a USB flash device/drive gets the same error I am getting here

I don't think SSD-type loaders prevent kernel panics.
It is important that the three FAT partitions within the loader are mounted correctly in the Linux kernel, but this mounting process is still not stable.
Although this problem also occurs with the USB type,
In my experience so far, this happens much more often with ATA.

This is a commonly known cause of the 55% to 56% file corruption message occurring during DSM installation.

The most common type of kernel panic is caused by incorrect lkm compilation.

On 7/21/2023 at 11:54 PM, Peter Suh said:

In the case of TCRP, it was reconfirmed that there is no problem as it recognizes the USB stick as another external device as it did originally.

I think the fundamental problem is that ARPL, which adopts EUDEV, is not compatible with USB devices.
In case of M-SHELL for TCRP, EUDEV is not used.

2023-07-2212_51_24.thumb.png.224cb813c1ef81602a4a9275e4390197.png

It is a bootloader disk and should not be displayed

10 minutes ago, Captainfingerbang said:

i

i scrapped the ssd. onto flash drive.

are these the correct things to add to config?

So I want to know what type it is recognized for, because you are not a USB drive

You can try it and it should make you display it as USB, but the bootloader disk should not be displayed

Edited by wjz304

On 9/2/2023 at 5:03 AM, TJemuran said:

So, what's the solution you found? Pls share here mate..

Hey im really sorry for a couple reasons

A: for taking so long to reply

B: Because i have not found a solution to using ARPL 7.1 / 7.2 and being able to also use usb external storage. 

I did find a solution to something else i was excited about, but unrelated apparently. 

But, as far as a solution your concerned about, you can see below IN IMAGE BELOW here from Peter Suh's post(trust me this guy knows his stuff, LISTEN to him) that the solution is not to use arpl ENTIRELY cuz it dont play nice with USB. Peter Suh has his own build i believe and he says it doesn't have the USB problems that arpl does. 

I would use TCRP or Peters build but personally i' have trepidation about it being too hard, too much command line etc.

So your answer is to use TCRP or 

image.thumb.png.e646217ae26c8b5f9b450f3ae9579a4a.png

• Like 1

Folks,

Trying different things to get my DS918+ 7.2 ARPL i18n to get usb WORKING! I cant! Help! 

Im told from one camp, that i need to use certain config settings, from another group they say ARPL CANNOT use usb for external storage...

What is the truth?

Please take a look at my config now, as i have changed my DS918+ and still usb storage goes internal... (This is different machine than my OP)

I REALLY NEED USB and REALLY dont want to switch from ARPL, unless there is something as easy to use with all the boot menu's etc

snip3.thumb.png.68373faf5ab1cfc60f1024efd46c1ca7.png

snip4.thumb.png.090ddab7850c4fcf7f544ac3cfc1b9dd.png

On 9/1/2023 at 7:41 AM, Peter Suh said:

I don't think SSD-type loaders prevent kernel panics.
It is important that the three FAT partitions within the loader are mounted correctly in the Linux kernel, but this mounting process is still not stable.
Although this problem also occurs with the USB type,
In my experience so far, this happens much more often with ATA.

This is a commonly known cause of the 55% to 56% file corruption message occurring during DSM installation.

The most common type of kernel panic is caused by incorrect lkm compilation.

I decided to say screw it!   Forget ARPL!   I went with this Mr. Peter Sue's Build and guess what? I've EASILY got external usb storage working without ANY configuring..

But the best part?

Look at my USB transfer speeds to and fro my 3221? Ever seen anything this tasty? THIS my friends is what i was trying to achieve, USB storage at UNBELEIEBALE Speeds!

Take a bow Mr. Peter. Your build is amazing. And in fact i did all this after downing a 1/5 of my favorite cheap vodka!

Look at these speeds! I could KISS you Mr. Peter! 

P.S.   There are no internal NVME drives YET. This is transfer to and fro and all SATA ssd array/SHR from USB (RED 3.2 ONBOARD B360-HD3) Using an Acasis External NVME TB4 Enclosure, BUT only using a USB-C 10G Cable to USB-A  Link here  .   For me? No more wondering if a USB 3.2 2x2 card will work in this, I DONT NEED ONE- HAHA!!!!!  Now, i will move on to test this all with NVME storage array, and re-check USB speeds and report back... When i get more time in a month or so.

image.thumb.png.bc423219de2c52443392bd69d5795127.png