XPEnology Community

Automated RedPill Loader (ARPL)

fbelavenuto

I use ARPL on HP Gen8 Microserver running ESXI 6.5 with HDDs on internal SATA controller, CPU is a Xenon 1265 if that matters.

TinyCore works just fine but I could not get ARPL to recognize my RDM-mounted disks when buildning a DS3622xs+ loader, ARPL-vmdk on first SATA controller, RDM-disk on second controller.

DSM7 loads, I can install the PAT file but after reboot the same "Install prompt" shows up again, No errors during install, but its "stuck" in a install loop.

I then tried to build as DS920+ and that worked directly with exactly the same settings as the DS3622xs+, is this a expected behaviour ? 

(I really havent fully understood the full implications of different models apart from number of HDDs supported).

11 hours ago, tooobe said:

Nice! Any guide to upgrade smoothly and transferring all apps and settings from DSM6? Or is it starting from scratch the only way?

First of all you have to check what apps do you use in DSM 6, some of them are different in DSM 7 and can't be smoothy upgraded. This could be problem with upgrade.

DSM update should go smoothly just making new boot loader, than you have to use correct pat file of DSM7.1. Everything will go like in normal synology.

I was updateing from 6.3 to 7.0.1 using Redpill Multiloader (rp_ml v.2.0.0-r02) by Foxby because had problem when i add u4 to DSM6.3 (u4 need new loader, i didn't know that). So i make new usb loader and upgrade to 7.0.1.  Today using ARPL 0.4-alpha6 i have 7.1u4.

25 minutes ago, fbelavenuto said:

Hi guys, there were some bugs in the latest versions.
Please redownload the latest v0.4-alpha7, I recreated it with the bugs fixed.

I appreciate your work and I like the loader very much. But....

If I understand correctly, you had alpha7 online, changed the release and it's still alpha7 ? That's wrong, it should be alpha8 then.

6 минут назад, Randomized сказал:

I appreciate your work and I like the loader very much. But....

If I understand correctly, you had alpha7 online, changed the release and it's still alpha7 ? That's wrong, it should be alpha8 then.

its alpha7 with the correction of errors in it, because alpha7 was not loaded by anyone

13 minutes ago, Randomized said:

I was testing github actions and the alpha7 version is the same as alpha6. I should have blacked out but the rush was great and I didn't, so I used the same number.

1 hour ago, fbelavenuto said:

I uploaded and tested the alpha7 48 minutes from now.

That's my point, you have reused the alpha7 version nr with 2 different releases.

I downloaded and installed alpha 7 today on 10:10 AM (CEST).

SHA1 hash of downloaded file:

C:\Users\<omitted>\Downloads>certutil -hashfile arpl-0.4-alpha7.vmdk.zip
SHA1 hash of arpl-0.4-alpha7.vmdk.zip:
f487b25411f6c5cfe335c92461430efc2f52d965
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.

image.thumb.png.078de0893de316caa22114105c2a3adb.png

In other words, watch out because there are 2 releases with the same version nr.

Tell me i'm wrong and I admit it, but I have used alpha 7 already this morning.

I download the 'new' alpha 7 and it has indeed changed, now it has the following SHA1 hash:

f53dbe699e880c40122905fb2375866d934a6d33

Edited by Randomized

10 minutes ago, Randomized said:

Tell me i'm wrong and I admit it, but I have used alpha 7 already this morning.

You're not wrong, I did a wrong thing to take advantage of the same release number, that's all.

The most correct would be to have me launched with another number (in this case 8 )

Edited by fbelavenuto

4 minutes ago, fbelavenuto said:

You're not wrong, I did a wrong thing to take advantage of the same release number, that's all.

The most correct would be to have me launched with another number (in this case 8 )

Thanks for the clarification, that's exactly the point I tried to make before somebody told me what I did was not possible..... (SWAGG3R)

And thanks again for your work, because it's a very nice and easy menu added on the loader ;)

Edited by Randomized

14 minutes ago, fbelavenuto said:

Your efforts in creating ARPL and responsiveness to issues that are being reported are impressive and appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I installed on ESXi without problem, now I'm testing on Vmware Workstation Pro 16.2.4, everything works fine, but when I tried to install the DSM, it says it will erease all the files from disk 2, I select yes, the installation starts and after a few seconds it stop on 0% and cannot format the DRIVE.

It says: Failed to install DSM. Fail to format the drive.

I tried different models, but always the same. both disks the loader and the empty disk are on SATA controller. The same one.

I never saw these error. 

Did someone has tried with Vmware Workstation Pro??

PS: After trying with the alpha v.6 boths models DS3622xs+ and the DVA3221 installed without a problem. I use the same configuration for the VM with the alpha v6. Maybe something is missing on the alpha7 for the compatibility for the VMDKs on Vmware Workstation.

image.png.f153c5e1732d6c5324ab9dd8f32e9484.png

Edited by dferara
updates on the post

10 hours ago, dferara said:

I installed on ESXi without problem, now I'm testing on Vmware Workstation Pro 16.2.4, everything works fine, but when I tried to install the DSM, it says it will erease all the files from disk 2, I select yes, the installation starts and after a few seconds it stop on 0% and cannot format the DRIVE.

It says: Failed to install DSM. Fail to format the drive.

I tried different models, but always the same. both disks the loader and the empty disk are on SATA controller. The same one.

I never saw these error. 

Did someone has tried with Vmware Workstation Pro??

PS: After trying with the alpha v.6 boths models DS3622xs+ and the DVA3221 installed without a problem. I use the same configuration for the VM with the alpha v6. Maybe something is missing on the alpha7 for the compatibility for the VMDKs on Vmware Workstation.

image.png.f153c5e1732d6c5324ab9dd8f32e9484.png

Try with build version 42661 or try insisting on the same file

5 hours ago, SanKen said:

What are the differences between LKM dev and prod?

The creators of this kernel module, TheThorGroup, created these options with different log levels. The "dev" version displays much more log than the "prod" version. These logs are from the kernel, you see them if you have a serial port on your machine.
These logs in greater quantity are for diagnosing more serious problems, as the LKM project is not considered stable yet.
More information can be read on their official github: https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm

• Thanks 3

I installed ESXI 7.0 Update 3 on the physical machine HPE Gen10 Plus, the virtual machine with the physical hard disk pass-through, and allocated 50g of space as the program disk, used tinycore-redpill as the boot program, and set SataPortMap=184, DiskIdxMap=100400, so that the first physical disk of my machine is displayed as hard disk 1, and the 50G space is displayed as hard disk 5. The Synology version is 7.1.1-42962.

When I switched the bootloader from tinycore-redpill to ARPL, I found the following problems:
1. The hard disk information in the storage manager is disordered (SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap have the same settings)
2. After the machine is entered, it is displayed as a new machine. All applications installed on it are not displayed, but the data on the hard disk is still there.

When I switch the bootstrap back to tinycore-redpill again, everything works fine

1.png

1 hour ago, fbelavenuto said:

The creators of this kernel module, TheThorGroup, created these options with different log levels. The "dev" version displays much more log than the "prod" version. These logs are from the kernel, you see them if you have a serial port on your machine.
These logs in greater quantity are for diagnosing more serious problems, as the LKM project is not considered stable yet.
More information can be read on their official github: https://github.com/RedPill-TTG/redpill-lkm

Can't change it after bulid the loader? 

21 minutes ago, c_zs said:

I installed ESXI 7.0 Update 3 on the physical machine HPE Gen10 Plus, the virtual machine with the physical hard disk pass-through, and allocated 50g of space as the program disk, used tinycore-redpill as the boot program, and set SataPortMap=184, DiskIdxMap=100400, so that the first physical disk of my machine is displayed as hard disk 1, and the 50G space is displayed as hard disk 5. The Synology version is 7.1.1-42962.

When I switched the bootloader from tinycore-redpill to ARPL, I found the following problems:
1. The hard disk information in the storage manager is disordered (SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap have the same settings)
2. After the machine is entered, it is displayed as a new machine. All applications installed on it are not displayed, but the data on the hard disk is still there.

When I switch the bootstrap back to tinycore-redpill again, everything works fine

1.png

Please try ARPL without DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap variables