XPEnology Community

What is tcrp with friend

pedroj666

On 12/13/2022 at 2:16 AM, tomoki said:

Hi Orphée, i just read your msg and found "You must use "old" TCRP standard mode. the same way you need to enable "Direct Boot" to "true" on ARPL with N54L."

May you please explain more about this? As I am the one who are using N54L and i found difficulty about using TCRP 0.9.3

The old TCRP method is called Jot Mode.

The link below explains how to build this Jot MODE loader.

Please have a look.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65969-freezes-at-the-booting-stage/?do=findComment&comment=392160

On 12/13/2022 at 2:16 AM, tomoki said:

Hi Orphée, i just read your msg and found "You must use "old" TCRP standard mode. the same way you need to enable "Direct Boot" to "true" on ARPL with N54L."

May you please explain more about this? As I am the one who are using N54L and i found difficulty about using TCRP 0.9.3

The new loader's img location has already been described above.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/65370-what-is-tcrp-with-friend/?do=findComment&comment=389943

4 hours ago, asheenlevrai said:

If I don't have TCRP with friend, what postupgrade actions should I do after upgrading?

Thanks

-a-

Could you use bringfriend.

- bringfriend

Downloads TCRP friend and makes it the default boot option. TCRP Friend is here to assist with

automated patching after an upgrade. No postupgrade actions will be required anymore, if TCRP

friend is left as the default boot option.

./rploader.sh <model> bringfriend

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, apriliars3 said:

Could you use bringfriend.

- bringfriend

Downloads TCRP friend and makes it the default boot option. TCRP Friend is here to assist with

automated patching after an upgrade. No postupgrade actions will be required anymore, if TCRP

Can you please explain the difference between

and

./rploader.sh build <model> withfriend

(as described here)?

Thanks a lot :)

-a-

• 2 months later...

Totally confused re: "withfriend", "bringfriend"....  "Setting TCRP withfriend as default boot option will help me upgrade without postupdate"... but how?

I built a new loader cause my existing 3622xs+ (MSI mobo.. AMD) failed to boot after about a year of operation.  So I added "withfriend" at the end of the build command.  I chose 7.1.1-42962 and if i boot to USB verbose option... everything is fine with 42962 (update 1).  If I chose to boot with TCRP with friend (last option).... the monitor doesn't show any errors but the system never shows on my network.  So it appears I've created a bootloader that has the "friend" boot option, but how do I use it? I'd like to upgrade to U4 if possible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 10:36 AM, WiteWulf said:

@asheenlevrai pretty much everything you've asked is answered in this thread :)

TCRP and ARPL are both different interfaces/builders for the same loader: redpill

TCRP uses a graphical UI with terminal sessions and CLI scripts

ARPL uses terminal/curses style interface

TCRP implemented the "friend" feature automatically detects when an update has been applied to the installed DSM software and makes the necessary changes to your loader image

Do you know whether ARPL can handle update automatically like TCRP withfriend? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this is the right topic for this:

I updated DSM with a new subversion synology_apollolake_918+7.1.1-42962-5.  I did (just for testing) sudo ./rploader.sh postupdate ds918p-7.1.1-42962

When I start DSM with Redpill (SATA) it is working fine. But when I start DSM with Friend again I got:
image.thumb.png.ab55ae4deee92cdf42f9847d488ecc6d.png

and according to Synology assistant DSM is not installed anymore.
But when starting again with Redpill (SATA) it is working fine again.
So can I not use Friend again after using postupdate?

Edited by glsf91

21 minutes ago, glsf91 said:

I don't know if this is the right topic for this:

I updated DSM with a new subversion synology_apollolake_918+7.1.1-42962-5.  I did (just for testing) sudo ./rploader.sh postupdate ds918p-7.1.1-42962

When I start DSM with Redpill (SATA) it is working fine. But when I start DSM with Friend again I got:
image.thumb.png.ab55ae4deee92cdf42f9847d488ecc6d.png

and according to Synology assistant DSM is not installed anymore.
But when starting again with Redpill (SATA) it is working fine again.
So can I not use Friend again after using postupdate?

TCRP FRIEND doesn't need postupdate processing originally.

After Small update is installed with U5, Ramdisk update message appears during FRIEND's reboot process, and this postupdate

process is automatically processed instead.

postupdate is only required for existing TCRP Jot.

If Ramdisk update is not processed well, please let us know again.

From the code here https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/rploader.sh

withfriend is an option/mode when doing a build. As you can see from the sample command below

./rploader.sh build <model> withfriend

In short, when building a loader for your setup you can tell the build to include that option for you. It is the default option anyway so you won't likely have to type it.

bringfriend is however a command. You can think of it in the similar way as build. The use case is explained in the code and also from help command as below. The context if it might help, is to bring it into your existing loader setup instead of rebuilding a new one.

- bringfriend

I in fact have my own question about that "assisit with automated patching after an upgrade". It is not very clear on what sort of patching is required and that kind of "an upgrade" is that 😁

I can only guess: patching is for tcrp and upgrade is for DSM. So the docs could be clearer as

- bringfriend
  automated patching TCRP after an DSM upgrade. No postupgrade actions will be required anymore, if TCRP

Edited by namvan

• 2 months later...

I have been visiting this forum for many years and it has certainly always been a great help to me. Investigating about the TCRP friend option I have arrived to this thread and the truth is that I still do not have the matter clear, I don't know if because of the language, although English does not usually have too much problem for me.

The fact is that I am unable to understand what I should do with the bootloader and when, how to update dsm and when to boot in friend-mode. Yesterday I booted a server in friend mode and the screen showed something about an update on the ramdisk, it finally ended up loading -didn't know- and the server was inaccessible. Perhaps you expected that in -friend mode the loader would be updated and finally DSM would end up booting with the latest synology update already applied.

Sorry for the question, but couldn't someone make a tutorial for people as "stupid" as me?

In fact, I think this questions should appear in a big and up to date "how to" thread, because I discovered TCRP a time ago, I successfully migrated a server from DSM 6 to 7 a long time ago, and a few days ago I set up another server and I find that part of the way to compile the loader has changed and I have not seen it written anywhere on this forum.

I hope I'm not sounding picky, I don't want to be misunderstood. Thank you very much for the tremendous work, and excuse my English.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2022 at 7:52 PM, Peter Suh said:

I recommend you to try M SHELL for TCRP FRIEND, which I developed.

It has evolved a lot from the old TCRP and has been changed to enable loader builds using convenient MENU.

A user guide is also shared on Github at the link below.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/releases/tag/v0.9.3.0-1

This is the one that I am using right now and the only one that worked for me and I can say it works like a charm.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 2:48 PM, ivimail said:

I have been visiting this forum for many years and it has certainly always been a great help to me. Investigating about the TCRP friend option I have arrived to this thread and the truth is that I still do not have the matter clear, I don't know if because of the language, although English does not usually have too much problem for me.

The fact is that I am unable to understand what I should do with the bootloader and when, how to update dsm and when to boot in friend-mode. Yesterday I booted a server in friend mode and the screen showed something about an update on the ramdisk, it finally ended up loading -didn't know- and the server was inaccessible. Perhaps you expected that in -friend mode the loader would be updated and finally DSM would end up booting with the latest synology update already applied.

Sorry for the question, but couldn't someone make a tutorial for people as "stupid" as me?

In fact, I think this questions should appear in a big and up to date "how to" thread, because I discovered TCRP a time ago, I successfully migrated a server from DSM 6 to 7 a long time ago, and a few days ago I set up another server and I find that part of the way to compile the loader has changed and I have not seen it written anywhere on this forum.

I hope I'm not sounding picky, I don't want to be misunderstood. Thank you very much for the tremendous work, and excuse my English.

Thank you for writing this, I'm just as lost here on the update procedures. Would be very thankfull if someone could write a small tutoral for dummies for TCRP.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Fox Mulder said:

- Outcome of the update: SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 7.2.1 69057-Update 1

- DSM version AFTER update: DSM 7.2.1 69057-Update 2

- Loader version and model: wjz304/arpl-i18n v23.10.4, DS923+

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL

- additional Comments: Updated automatically (let the DSM download and install)

Could not edit the post, so wanted to add: I have updated ARPL to RR (the new reincarnation of ARPL) in order to keep updated. I had to actually burn the new image and recover the existing DSM in order for everything to work. But it went pretty smoothly. Now I am fully updated to version 23.11.6

12 hours ago, Fox Mulder said:

Could not edit the post, so wanted to add: I have updated ARPL to RR (the new reincarnation of ARPL) in order to keep updated. I had to actually burn the new image and recover the existing DSM in order for everything to work. But it went pretty smoothly. Now I am fully updated to version 23.11.6

RR is wjz304/rr being arpl-i18n

Edited by gericb