XPEnology Community

Migrating drives to new server, HDD driver not recognized

SomeTester

Question

I recently built a new server with an Asus B450-MA motherboard. It starts up, but it does not recognize the previous install I imagine due to not detecting any drives. This was an old loader setup, but I'm fine maintaining that for now if possible. My current loader details: Jun loader 1.03b ds3615 DSM 6.2.3

I tried replacing the extra.lzma file on the second partition with a new one, version 0.12 I believe. In either case, still no such luck. 

End goal: revive previous installation on the server in its current state with a compatible loader for my current DS version with the necessary drivers to recognize my HDDs. Thoughts? It's been a very long time since I've messed with this, so appreciate any extra details. 

1 minute ago, Peter Suh said:

I also have the ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING with similar specs to yours.
The invisible IP has to do with the built-in NIC.
Both MOBOs are using the same RTL8111H.
I know that Jun loader's extension driver supports this chipset.
I'll try to see if the same thing happens with my MOBO.

Thank you! Yeah, let me know if you can get anything to appear on your end when trying a 6.2 DSM of sorts. Looking forward to hearing your findings. It's odd though how the only one that has worked for me was the TCRP for DS1621+. And you're right, same Realtek Ethernet driver. Keep me posted!

As you can see in the capture, everything is normal when DS918+ 6.2.3 is installed.
Are the green LEDs and blinking yellow LEDs on your MOBO's NIC port checked?

And, there is one more thing.
Even if it is confirmed that the two LEDs on the NIC port are lit
find.synology.com can be misbehaving.
Web browsers may be affected by cookies and caches.
It is more accurate to check the IP directly from Synology Assistant or the router.

963384077_2022-09-1612_12_34.thumb.png.509ce52c999cd10ed330234daa968a50.png470959966_2022-09-1612_13_45.thumb.png.00fbbf3237319f6dbc0dcbf819ce3879.png828808557_2022-09-1612_18_49.thumb.png.45c5701f092bae7c007f62a081b9fca0.png60848398_2022-09-1612_20_38.thumb.png.9ebf3d715bd347b73abee70f858b6904.png

Edited by Peter Suh

On 9/11/2022 at 9:27 PM, SomeTester said:

I recently built a new server with an Asus B450-MA motherboard. It starts up, but it does not recognize the previous install I imagine due to not detecting any drives. This was an old loader setup, but I'm fine maintaining that for now if possible. My current loader details: Jun loader 1.03b ds3615 DSM 6.2.3

I tried replacing the extra.lzma file on the second partition with a new one, version 0.12 I believe. In either case, still no such luck. 

End goal: revive previous installation on the server in its current state with a compatible loader for my current DS version with the necessary drivers to recognize my HDDs. Thoughts? It's been a very long time since I've messed with this, so appreciate any extra details. 

would you happen to have a spare intel nic? try that with the realtek disabled, I've read in the past that there may be 'conflicts' with versions post install of dsm, intels 'just work', however as @Peter Suh has shown, you should be able to install with your hardware without errors.

12 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

As you can see in the capture, everything is normal when DS918+ 6.2.3 is installed.
Are the green LEDs and blinking yellow LEDs on your MOBO's NIC port checked?

And, there is one more thing.
Even if it is confirmed that the two LEDs on the NIC port are lit
find.synology.com can be misbehaving.
Web browsers may be affected by cookies and caches.
It is more accurate to check the IP directly from Synology Assistant or the router.

963384077_2022-09-1612_12_34.thumb.png.509ce52c999cd10ed330234daa968a50.png470959966_2022-09-1612_13_45.thumb.png.00fbbf3237319f6dbc0dcbf819ce3879.png828808557_2022-09-1612_18_49.thumb.png.45c5701f092bae7c007f62a081b9fca0.png60848398_2022-09-1612_20_38.thumb.png.9ebf3d715bd347b73abee70f858b6904.png

Fair, and yeah, I always ping/access port 5000 directly instead. I'm just not sure what's going on for me. I updated the 4 fields in partition 1 (used serial generator for the appropriate DS), wrote it to the USB with Win32DiskImager, booted the USB, waited, nothing. Is there any particular step that I may be missing here?

7 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

would you happen to have a spare intel nic? try that with the realtek disabled, I've read in the past that there may be 'conflicts' with versions post install of dsm, intels 'just work', however as @Peter Suh has shown, you should be able to install with your hardware without errors.

It's an idea I've been bouncing around for sure. If there was a known-NIC adapter that everyone recognizes as working, I would be more than happy to purchase it. Do you have any suggestions?

Fair, and yeah, I always ping/access port 5000 directly instead. I'm just not sure what's going on for me. I updated the 4 fields in partition 1 (used serial generator for the appropriate DS), wrote it to the USB with Win32DiskImager, booted the USB, waited, nothing. Is there any particular step that I may be missing here?

It seems like a repeating story, but why are you trying to add the ext driver to the ds918 img file I shared with you? Did you try to replace the shared version with another version because it didn't work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Peter Suh said:

It seems like a repeating story, but why are you trying to add the ext driver to the ds918 img file I shared with you? Did you try to replace the shared version with another version because it didn't work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not, I burned your IMG that you provided to me onto the USB and only edited the grub.conf as required. Sorry if I was not clear before with the steps that I went through. Let me know if I made any mistake.

It's an idea I've been bouncing around for sure. If there was a known-NIC adapter that everyone recognizes as working, I would be more than happy to purchase it. Do you have any suggestions?
Any Intel e1000 based nic
Also, some dumb suggestions :)
Reset bios, disable any serial/parallel/audio peripherals
Try an xpe5.2 basic boot loader with spare hdd, (old but works with most hw) find mac, install dsm, telnet, get pci and module info, note for your hardware.
Then try dsm6 using the same boot/dsm version shown by Peter as working.
If all OK reconnect your drives and migrate

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

Any Intel e1000 based nic
Also, some dumb suggestions :)
Reset bios, disable any serial/parallel/audio peripherals
Try an xpe5.2 basic boot loader with spare hdd, (old but works with most hw) find mac, install dsm, telnet, get pci and module info, note for your hardware.
Then try dsm6 using the same boot/dsm version shown by Peter as working.
If all OK reconnect your drives and migrate

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk

Appreciate the troubleshooting tips. Quick question before I try something else as well: does it matter if I currently have DSM 7.1 on my HDD? I might just wipe them entirely as well and try what you suggested.

4 hours ago, SomeTester said:

Appreciate the troubleshooting tips. Quick question before I try something else as well: does it matter if I currently have DSM 7.1 on my HDD? I might just wipe them entirely as well and try what you suggested.

I should be getting a Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK (with the E1000 chipset 82574L). We will see if that does the trick. In the meantime, I will work on your suggestions to see if they make any difference, dumb or not :)

14 hours ago, SomeTester said:

erase all the partitions, gpartd or similar

4 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

erase all the partitions, gpartd or similar

At least with Peter's IMGs, formatting the drives made no difference. Also, the Ethernet port is blinking amber with solid green as well, but my bet is still the NIC as well. I'll report back after the new NIC arrives (and I'll disable the other in the BIOS).

Two years ago, there were several attempts to use jun's loader on Ryzen.
What flyride emphasized was that HT should be turned off on the DS918+.
The network works, but it seems that there are cases where the loader does not work if there are more CPU cores than necessary.

The CPU I tested is a Ryzen 3300X 4-Core 8-Thread.
I didn't have any problems with HT off though
You said that you are using a 5600G 6-Core 12-Thread.
Would you like to try turning HT off?

And, I don't know if C-Tiimings is also involved.

Edited by Peter Suh

8 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

Two years ago, there were several attempts to use jun's loader on Ryzen.
What flyride emphasized was that HT should be turned off on the DS918+.
The network works, but it seems that there are cases where the loader does not work if there are more CPU cores than necessary.

The CPU I tested is a Ryzen 3300X 4-Core 8-Thread.
I didn't have any problems with HT off though
You said that you are using a 5600G 6-Core 12-Thread.
Would you like to try turning HT off?

And, I don't know if C-Tiimings is also involved.

Hyper Threading (HT) is for Intel only, so not applicable here.

I don't know what core-timings are, that's not a thing. Does he mean c-state...? I'm not sure how that would help. I still have the same issue with the Jun Loaders with the NIC Intel card, very disappointed.

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

In AMD, SMT is Intel's HT.

Disable SMT Mode in BIOS.
In a post two years ago, it seems that there was a problem even though I replaced it with an Intel NIC.
First try disabling simultaneous multithreading.

Well, SMT is a helluva drug. I made a lot of progress after that, and that seemed to do the trick. Much appreciated! I got it to come back post reboot with DS3617xs, but it asks me for a password. Tried it with admin/[blank] but no dice. Either way, I'll reformat and try again and report back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

In AMD, SMT is Intel's HT.

Disable SMT Mode in BIOS.
In a post two years ago, it seems that there was a problem even though I replaced it with an Intel NIC.
First try disabling simultaneous multithreading.

Update: We're in business. It had to of been the SMT piece messing with everything (though the Intel NIC E1000 probably didn't hurt, as well as reformatting both drives). Pretty sure I am in a good place now. Thank you both very much, and I hope that this thread helps someone else out in the future!

• Thanks 1