XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader Build Support Tool ( M-Shell )

Peter Suh

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

Thank you for your good comments.

As long as the Pat file is downloaded initially and the model and revision are not changed, the function to back up and store the already downloaded Pat file for rebuilding is a feature that has already been prepared.

This time, the above function was blocked by using pre-extracted rd.gz and zImage files.

I would like to take a more in-depth look at pocopico and copyright-related aspects.
I left a related inquiry with him a little while ago.

If there is no good way to implement fast loader builds while protecting developers, I am currently considering returning to the original process.

thank you

Yes you are right with the distrubution of bsp files and at some point i was also thinking about removing them as i now use Fabios patching method in HTML Builder. I just didnt have time to re-engineer the build process in rploader.sh.

Having in mind that TTG was very cautious with the distribution of original Syno files, i would like to keep following their rules.

It might be critical for us that we are testing many models to build in faster times but for the main user i think its OK to wait for 5 minutes once in a while.

The stability plays a great role and i think at that we are all somehow in a very good place.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, pocopico said:

Yes you are right with the distrubution of bsp files and at some point i was also thinking about removing them as i now use Fabios patching method in HTML Builder. I just didnt have time to re-engineer the build process in rploader.sh.

Having in mind that TTG was very cautious with the distribution of original Syno files, i would like to keep following their rules.

It might be critical for us that we are testing many models to build in faster times but for the main user i think its OK to wait for 5 minutes once in a while.

The stability plays a great role and i think at that we are all somehow in a very good place.

I also received confirmation from @wjz304 that ARPL is no longer using bsp with the new patch method.

I will think about it for a few more days and plan to go back to downloading the DSM Pat file.

I will also take the time to analyze ARPL's patching method.
It seems that TCRP should also become free from copyright by completely removing the bsp file.

Quick question. I am using peter-suh image with esxi (DS3617xs after software update) and i get: no drives detected. i am not sure how to debug this. is there a way to see if the drive was  mounted properly in "image build" OS? i want to make sure my old content is there and that the correct drive is used.

10 minutes ago, envision said:

Quick question. I am using peter-suh image with esxi (DS3617xs after software update) and i get: no drives detected. i am not sure how to debug this. is there a way to see if the drive was  mounted properly in "image build" OS? i want to make sure my old content is there and that the correct drive is used.

Go back to the TCRP FRIEND loader build screen and
As seen in the captured image below
Please use the “Show error log of running loader” menu.
If an error occurred, you can check the log here.

2023-10-245_03_20.png.6c43380dbec696a5e6d1d3acc10df996.png

Usually errors are at the bottom of the log.

To obtain the error log file, TCRP FRIEND kernel booting must have been performed at least once.

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply! Here's what how the log ends:

:: Executing "on_boot" custom scripts ... [  OK  ]
Extensions processed
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/etxhci-hcd.ko': No such file or directory
Starting /usr/syno/bin/synocfgen...
/usr/syno/bin/synocfgen returns 0
Insert synorbd kernel module
Insert synofsbd kernel module
Insert sha256 kernel module
All disk ready or timeout execeed
Exit on error [1] DISK NOT INSTALLED...
Tue Oct 24 15:50:09 UTC 2023
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0

log6262413.txt

Edited by envision

9 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

I also received confirmation from @wjz304 that ARPL is no longer using bsp with the new patch method.

I will think about it for a few more days and plan to go back to downloading the DSM Pat file.

It seems that TCRP should also become free from copyright by completely removing the bsp file.

I'm not using bsp files at all in TCRP HTML Builder, its only rploader that has not been adjusted to that, but i plan to fix that soon

• Like 1

Hey Peter, pocopico,  I think I just found out the issue. The tinycore-redpill seems to have a regression with DS3617xs when using newer builds. You can see in the screenshots, when using DS3617xs, we are told that no drives are detected - I created a new esxi VM to test this out and i get the same message. once i switch to the DS923+ then i can proceed with installation or migration if i connect my DS3617xs drive to it. I am not sure if it's safe to migrate my DS3617xs to DS923+

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.31.38 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.38.50 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.38.35 AM.png

44 minutes ago, envision said:

Hey Peter, pocopico,  I think I just found out the issue. The tinycore-redpill seems to have a regression with DS3617xs when using newer builds. You can see in the screenshots, when using DS3617xs, we are told that no drives are detected - I created a new esxi VM to test this out and i get the same message. once i switch to the DS923+ then i can proceed with installation or migration if i connect my DS3617xs drive to it. I am not sure if it's safe to migrate my DS3617xs to DS923+

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.31.38 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.38.50 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 10.38.35 AM.png

I have seen no issues migrating from one model to another.

14 hours ago, Peter Suh said:

What we don't know is the extent to which Synology are tolerant of our Community activity. 

Edited by mgrobins
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, envision said:

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply! Here's what how the log ends:

:: Executing "on_boot" custom scripts ... [  OK  ]
Extensions processed
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/etxhci-hcd.ko': No such file or directory
Starting /usr/syno/bin/synocfgen...
/usr/syno/bin/synocfgen returns 0
Insert synorbd kernel module
Insert synofsbd kernel module
Insert sha256 kernel module
All disk ready or timeout execeed
Exit on error [1] DISK NOT INSTALLED...
Tue Oct 24 15:50:09 UTC 2023
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0

log6262413.txt 22.27 kB · 1 download

Looking at the log, it seems the problem lies elsewhere.
What are your MOBO specs and what CPU do you use?

There is no trace in the log that the ahci module was loaded.

Do disks in a virtual environment use AHCI mode?

2023-10-2510_37_09.png.72e1b22b3a92bd4ba2e40aadcc8a5509.png

Edited by Peter Suh

On 10/25/2023 at 1:58 AM, pocopico said:

I'm not using bsp files at all in TCRP HTML Builder, its only rploader that has not been adjusted to that, but i plan to fix that soon

@pocopico
Finally I completely removed the bsp file from TCRP today.
I followed the script from ARPL.

In the redpill-load repo below:
buildroot/

config/

build-loader.sh has been modified.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-load

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Suh said:

@pocopico
Finally I completely removed the bsp file from TCRP today.
I followed the script from ARPL.

In the redpill-load repo below:
buildroot/

config/

build-loader.sh has been modified.

https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/redpill-load

You dont need redpill-load anymore, that is the most time consuming process.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, pocopico said:

You dont need redpill-load anymore, that is the most time consuming process.

I think I can see the improvements you made in the script below.

You're not creating the loader.img file anymore?

In that case, redpill-load is not needed.

I think you just need to import config.json and use it.

thank you

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/html/index.sh#L2267

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/html/index.sh#L2277

Edited by Peter Suh

I need HELP!  converted 918+ 1.04b dsm 6 eventually to tcrp friend m-shell and its been running fantastic for 6 months? 1 year? Thanks to peter and procopio and all.

But now i have major problems. 1st i noticed how slow my all ssd system got. benchmarks shpwed drives like 860 evo 2tb down to 500 read and 40 write speed!

But worse now is my boot drive, my usb, now has over 64 partitions of tcrp as you can see in my picture. 

Honestly im not concerned anymore with WHY it happened, but i backed the whole 11tb up, and now i just want to start back with tcrp friend mshell, but ive only done process once.

Im so frustrated. 

look at this image! thats all my boot usb! Over 64 partitions now?

Please i just wanna start back at 7.2 with mshell and tcrp from peter.

this 918 using REAL mac and serial and SO important to my family!

ps. running e5 2680 v4 x99 16 ddr4 12 quality ssds with write cache turned off.

20231025_161817.jpg

Edited by Captainfingerbang
forgot image

On 10/26/2023 at 2:11 AM, Peter Suh said:

I think I can see the improvements you made in the script below.

You're not creating the loader.img file anymore?

In that case, redpill-load is not needed.

I think you just need to import config.json and use it.

thank you

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/html/index.sh#L2267

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/blob/main/html/index.sh#L2277

Safe to assume that we don't have to create an all new USB/Re-configure the Loader to get all your changes and benefits.  Just restart the computer with the existing USB, it will download and re-configure/update things as needed. Possibly only requiring "build the loader" with the current DSM to get all changes implemented.... 🥳

Thanks

Edited by gericb
  • Like 1

Hi,

I just migrated from DS918+ on Z230 SFF, first to ARPL DS920, and now for testing to DVR1622 on m-shell. Everything is working. All upgrade is OK. As I remember TCRP has faster VM than ARPL and i can see it. Everything is working on Z240 Sff with i7-6700T. Even m.2 navm storage pool is working, error about unsupported disk typ gon after repair pool. I cant only see that i  have m.2 disk in slot as i could see in DS920 on ARPL.

I have 2 questions

1. LAN card in HP is i219-LM but m-shell and also new ARPL recognise  as e1000.

2. Second card (WiFi USB - just for test) is not recognised

in free time i need to test hardware transcoding is working, and find ip cam to check face recognition. In AME everything looks good

Great job with loader.

Edited by BartAcid

11 hours ago, BartAcid said:

Hi,

I just migrated from DS918+ on Z230 SFF, first to ARPL DS920, and now for testing to DVR1622 on m-shell. Everything is working. All upgrade is OK. As I remember TCRP has faster VM than ARPL and i can see it. Everything is working on Z240 Sff with i7-6700T. Even m.2 navm storage pool is working, error about unsupported disk typ gon after repair pool. I cant only see that i  have m.2 disk in slot as i could see in DS920 on ARPL.

I have 2 questions

1. LAN card in HP is i219-LM but m-shell and also new ARPL recognise  as e1000.

2. Second card (WiFi USB - just for test) is not recognised

in free time i need to test hardware transcoding is working, and find ip cam to check face recognition. In AME everything looks good

Great job with loader.

1. The NIC must be recognized as e1000e.
Please let me know the results of the command below.

lspci -nn | grep 0200

2. RedPill does not support WIFI.

bart@DVR1622:~$ lspci -nn | grep 0200
0000:00:1f.6 Class [0200]: Device [8086:15b7] (rev 31)

e1000e is showing on booting, before i forgot second e.

I check spec to my Z240 SFF and there is

Integrated Ethernet PHY Connection I217LM. Management capabilities: WOL, PXE 2.1 and AMT 11.0

intel 219LM was shown in winpe.

When I change storage Panel Size do I have to rebuild loader?

Edited by BartAcid

12 hours ago, BartAcid said:

bart@DVR1622:~$ lspci -nn | grep 0200
0000:00:1f.6 Class [0200]: Device [8086:15b7] (rev 31)

e1000e is showing on booting, before i forgot second e.

I check spec to my Z240 SFF and there is

Integrated Ethernet PHY Connection I217LM. Management capabilities: WOL, PXE 2.1 and AMT 11.0

intel 219LM was shown in winpe.

When I change storage Panel Size do I have to rebuild loader?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/61839-tinycore-redpill-loader-build-support-tool-m-shell/?do=findComment&comment=449023

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, maxime said:

HI! Can I use TinyCore RedPill (with M-Shell ) Loader with a Intel I5 2°Gen CPU? If Yes, which DS model should I "emulate"? Thanks!

DS3622xs+ is recommended for Intel 2nd generation CPU.
If transcoding is required, an Intel 4th generation or higher or Atom series CPU is required.

• Thanks 1

My XPEnology server doesn't have monitor and keyboard connected; which steps should I do, for update TCRP M-shell using TTYD? How to remotely reboot XPEnology in TCRP loader configuration? And how to return to "normal boot" once I updated the system? Is there a step by step guide for this? Thanks for your support! 🙏

43 minutes ago, maxime said:

My XPEnology server doesn't have monitor and keyboard connected; which steps should I do, for update TCRP M-shell using TTYD? How to remotely reboot XPEnology in TCRP loader configuration? And how to return to "normal boot" once I updated the system? Is there a step by step guide for this? Thanks for your support! 🙏

You did not explain the purpose of updating M-SHELL.
For TCRP, TTYD is not required during normal update process.