XPEnology Community

TinyCore RedPill Loader (TCRP)

pocopico

1 hour ago, phone guy said:

If you are simply trying to recover your data? I think open media vault can read the synology disks, at least that will give you the ability to recover your disks. I think that what your trying to do. Google open media vault, and search here, you will find it mentioned that OMV can read the synology drives without data wipe.

tbh i don't see any good mention. but i'd do it in any system with mdadm and btrfs. i just wonder why DSM7 gets repeatedly installed ok, and after reboot it's in "uninstalled" state and asks for PAT again. (hope it's not because MAC changes -> PORT changes each time and the web render waiting 10min times out).

Edited by nadiva

8 hours ago, eason6 said:

Hi 

@pocopico 

I used DS3622 platform to build loader and the disk err still there(I changed a new ssd disk this time, booting with UEFI ), but the log were different:

what's the problem this time ,please, thank you.

SynologyNAS> cat /var/log/*rc*
START /linuxrc.syno.impl
Insert Marvell 1475 SATA controller driver
Insert basic USB modules...
:: Loading module usb-common ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usbcore ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ehci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module ehci-pci ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-hcd ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module xhci-pci ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading module usb-storage ... [  OK  ]
:: Loading kernel modules from extensions ...
Loading kmod #0 "mdio.ko" for pocopico.alx (args: )
Loading kmod #1 "alx.ko" for pocopico.alx (args: )
Loading kmod #0 "r8125.ko" for pocopico.r8125 (args: )
Loading kmod #0 "r8168.ko" for pocopico.r8168 (args: )
:: Loading kernel modules from extensions ... [  OK  ]
:: Executing "on_boot" custom scripts ...
Running "check-alx.sh" for pocopico.alx->on_boot
Loading module alx -> Module alx loaded succesfully
Ran "check-alx.sh" for pocopico.alx->on_boot - exit=0
Running "check-r8125.sh" for pocopico.r8125->on_boot
Loading module r8125 -> Module r8125 loaded succesfully
Ran "check-r8125.sh" for pocopico.r8125->on_boot - exit=0
Running "check-r8168.sh" for pocopico.r8168->on_boot
Loading module r8168 -> Module r8168 loaded succesfully
Ran "check-r8168.sh" for pocopico.r8168->on_boot - exit=0
Running "boot-wait.sh" for redpill-boot-wait->on_boot
Still waiting for boot device (waited 1 of 30 seconds)
Still waiting for boot device (waited 2 of 30 seconds)
Still waiting for boot device (waited 3 of 30 seconds)
Still waiting for boot device (waited 4 of 30 seconds)
Still waiting for boot device (waited 5 of 30 seconds)
Still waiting for boot device (waited 6 of 30 seconds)
Still waiting for boot device (waited 7 of 30 seconds)
Still waiting for boot device (waited 8 of 30 seconds)
Confirmed a valid-looking /dev/synoboot device
Ran "boot-wait.sh" for redpill-boot-wait->on_boot - exit=0
Running "install_rd.sh" for redpill-misc->on_boot
Starting ttyd, listening on port: 7681
Ran "install_rd.sh" for redpill-misc->on_boot - exit=0
:: Executing "on_boot" custom scripts ... [  OK  ]
Extensions processed
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/etxhci-hcd.ko': No such file or directory
Insert net driver(Mindspeed only)...
Starting /usr/syno/bin/synocfgen...
/usr/syno/bin/synocfgen returns 0
Insert synorbd kernel module
Insert synofsbd kernel module
Insert sha256 kernel module
All disk ready or timeout execeed
Assemble args:
Exit on error [12] No raid status in path /sys/block/md0/md/array_state, go to junior mode...
Thu Apr 21 00:36:54 UTC 2022
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0

Hi, don't forget me ,please...

@pocopico

12 minutes ago, eason6 said:

Hi, don't forget me ,please...

@pocopico

No raid disk is found this time, DSM goes into junior mode for install.

Exit on error [12] No raid status in path /sys/block/md0/md/array_state, go to junior mode...

If you have the disk error i suggest you set the SataPortMap or if its not possible to fix it go for ds920p

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, nadiva said:

tbh i don't see any good mention. but i'd do it in any system with mdadm and btrfs. i just wonder why DSM7 gets repeatedly installed ok, and after reboot it's in "uninstalled" state and asks for PAT again. (hope it's not because MAC changes -> PORT changes each time and the web render waiting 10min times out).

Please use my gh repo for your loader. Also start with minimum extensions and add more until you are Ok. Not all extensions can be loaded and not all extensions have been tested for interoperability. The extension loading script in my repo has been enhanced to support loading extensions with overlapping depencies, so again, use my GH repo.

To be certain on what is going wrong during boot, you of course have to look into /var/log/junior_reason.log and /var/log/linuxrc* 

To log into the system you can use http://<yourip>:7681 (included in redpill-misc extension)

Edited by pocopico

On 4/20/2022 at 2:34 PM, pocopico said:

You can try the DS920+ geminilake platform. If you only have couple of disks it should work better for you. On DS920+ you specify the disks in the dtb file. 

Hello sir,

First ,thanks for your read and understand my pool English,

I tried install DSM920+ but also show"No drive detected" ,

I already inserted a disk on Msata port (SATA1 port),so i guess the reason may be no disk on SATA0 port,but due to the hardware ,I cannot insert disk on SATA0port.

so is there any plan to solve this problem?

Finally ,thanks for your reading!!

微信截图_20220421174311.png

1 hour ago, pikyuyin said:

Hello sir,

First ,thanks for your read and understand my pool English,

I tried install DSM920+ but also show"No drive detected" ,

I already inserted a disk on Msata port (SATA1 port),so i guess the reason may be no disk on SATA0 port,but due to the hardware ,I cannot insert disk on SATA0port.

so is there any plan to solve this problem?

Finally ,thanks for your reading!!

微信截图_20220421174311.png

U can try sata_remap

In grub file add

sata_remap="0>1:1>0"

8 hours ago, nadiva said:

my story better.. i had old USB boot flashdrive in, the initram on the old one was overwritten during the /mnt/sdb3 mess consisting of dozens of attempts to make a build without error. Fixed that, DSM7 didn't show up and no connection.

Later noticed (LOL) my storage isn't supported that's why DSM7 didn't boot, probably checking pci (I wouldn't mind to boot without RAID tho).

I added the drivers from Jun loader to CPIO, which was the easiest part of the process, and only then DSM7 showed up via NIC.

Also was chaging Sataportmap 41 to 1 hoping to isolate RAID temporarily, without realizing i shifted the second controller to be the first one. So another installation (which always ends in success and then asks for another installation) got 1 member of RAID overwritten instead of SSD, and now getting "SATA port errors 2,3,4" and no loader works.

Anyways, this can't be fixed even with original Syno unit I wanted to buy today just to try to recover the mess, i will need to do it myself :) If I hide SSD and clean RAID member1, might rebuild the RAID:)

hmmm well no I didn't think I had a big issue... knew it had to be something with the sata config in grub. 

But I'll sprinkle some WTF on my issue... so drive 1 and drive 5 (pretty sure that's the 3rd port as there's only 4 ports... but hey) are both old seagate 500gb drives. different models though. drive 1 has bad sectors and about 10k hours, drive 5 has no bad sectors and < 10k hours. both show as "critical". I'm guessing drive 5 just isn't on the list of drives that synology is ok with... it bluntly refuses to use that drive. plugged in a 15yo laptop drive (hitachi 100gb 7200rpm) in it's place and dsm is just fine with using that. so on the initial install it really doesn't like seeing bad drives... or only 1 bad drive? this being a test bench it only gets the dodgy leftovers. but hey, so far i'm impressed. it sees 6 cores, sees all 16gb ram and i've installed a whole lot of apps. not seeing it go all weird on me (i haven't checked too many logs, only the dsm logs in the control panel).

so cheers to @pocopico and @ThorGroup and @IG-88 and @Peter Suh and all the other active guys on this thread and forum...you're doing amazing stuff! (sorry for all the names I left out, there's some true legends in this thread - taking on all the weird reports and questions on here, making sense of them and somehow having the patience to answer them all, even the repeats!)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jizar Stoffel said:

I made a huge mistake, How do I restore a backup from the "old" folder on tinycore?

I think only manual mv files 

Backup function can Backup but not restore function, maybe manual decompress or move all files.

I saw the scripts and cant find a restore for backup only restoreloader from backuploader function. 

17 minutes ago, blackmix said:

I think only manual mv files 

Backup function can Backup but not restore function, maybe manual decompress or move all files.

I saw the scripts and cant find a restore for backup only restoreloader from backuploader function. 

The only restore function is for loader backup. 

./rploader.sh restoreloader now 

as well as the backup

./rploader.sh backuploader now

Edited by pocopico

1 hour ago, Jizar Stoffel said:

I tried moving files manually, now I dont have rploader.sh on it and cant run commands from ssh... do I have to remake the USB stick?

Did you try ./rploader.sh restoreloader now command? what exactly are you trying to restore? rebuilding usb loader is fairly easy which you already know. Keep same serial and mac and version and on reboot system will come back as normal.

/home/tc/old you will see your user_config.json (if you did backup command) which should have serial and mac

you can move with mv command or copy with cp command, obviously with from/to syntax ;)

Or if nothing else use winscp on windows or portx on mac then you get explorer gui and can move and copy with drag and drop

Edited by phone guy

27 minutes ago, phone guy said:

Did you try ./rploader.sh restoreloader now command? what exactly are you trying to restore? rebuilding usb loader is fairly easy which you already know. Keep same serial and mac and version and on reboot system will come back as normal.

/home/tc/old you will see your user_config.json (if you did backup command) which should have serial and mac

you can move with mv command or copy with cp command, obviously with from/to syntax ;)

Or if nothing else use winscp on windows or portx on mac then you get explorer gui and can move and copy with drag and drop

this is what happened....

I got some new HDD (4TB IronWolfs x4) and switched my 4 PORT SATA PCI to a 8 PORT. to have a todal of 12 drives in my rig.

I tried to update the GRUB, but ended up updating the dam system with ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now...( iknow, i know... I wasnt paying attention)

so I lost the boot setting for the loader, so I tried taking the files manually from the backup folder and pasting on the home folder, only to see it being copied as TC and not ROOT user (I suck at WinSCP). so after changing every single file from tc to root... rploader.sh was not working anymore, I gave up and im trying to do everything from scratch again. and guess what...... error... drive 3,4 bla bla bla... is back, now I have to read all the posts back to see what is wrong.

I wrote down the procedures on how to do this, and I followed to the latter, but I believe something changed, because if I dont get the "Installation failed, file corrupted" error I get the  install loop error.

We really need a WIKI for this, Im willing to help making one!!!!

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Jizar Stoffel said:

this is what happened....

I got some new HDD (4TB IronWolfs x4) and switched my 4 PORT SATA PCI to a 8 PORT. to have a todal of 12 drives in my rig.

I tried to update the GRUB, but ended up updating the dam system with ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now...( iknow, i know... I wasnt paying attention)

so I lost the boot setting for the loader, so I tried taking the files manually from the backup folder and pasting on the home folder, only to see it being copied as TC and not ROOT user (I suck at WinSCP). so after changing every single file from tc to root... rploader.sh was not working anymore, I gave up and im trying to do everything from scratch again. and guess what...... error... drive 3,4 bla bla bla... is back, now I have to read all the posts back to see what is wrong.

I wrote down the procedures on how to do this, and I followed to the latter, but I believe something changed, because if I dont get the "Installation failed, file corrupted" error I get the  install loop error.

We really need a WIKI for this, Im willing to help making one!!!!

Sorry to hear that.... ok, lets assume your sata is ahci? so you shouldn't need drivers for that. I am also assuming your drives have data on them you want to save, and adding 4 more drives... so, when you rebuild, same serial and mac will not force any formatting or anything, it will be just like a power cycle.  What build (model) are you using? if you change that you will have to migrate from (for example) 918 to 3622 (or whatever), same model/serial/mac it wont.

The drive error is most likely the sata mapping, if you have the old user config or grub you already know what it was, so you can at least get back to where you were yesterday, then we can figure out how to add the other sata ports.

Dont worry! We will get you thru this!

edit: personally, I have a folder for my rp builds, where I try to keep the whole ssh/putty log (you can click the menu icon and copy all to clipboard and save it as a text file) so I can go back and see the commands I used and the results of the build...and I saw a great tip somewhere here, where the guy was making his own script for his build, that way he just executes the script he makes and it adds all his drivers for his system. Great idea. Just a suggestion so you wont have to dig thru posts to remember if there is a next time.

This article explains how the sataport mapping works, reading this is detailed, and it helps.

https://gugucomputing.wordpress.com/2018/11/11/experiment-on-sata_args-in-grub-cfg/

Edited by phone guy

1 minute ago, phone guy said:

Sorry to hear that.... ok, lets assume your sata is ahci? so you shouldn't need drivers for that. I am also assuming your drives have data on them you want to save, and adding 4 more drives... so, when you rebuild, same serial and mac will not force any formatting or anything, it will be just like a power cycle.  What build (model) are you using? if you change that you will have to migrate from (for example) 918 to 3622 (or whatever), same model/serial/mac it wont.

The drive error is most likely the sata mapping, if you have the old user config or grub you already know what it was, so you can at least get back to where you were yesterday, then we can figure out how to add the other sata ports.

Dont worry! We will get you thru this!

This article explains how the sataport mapping works, reading this is detailed, and it helps.

https://gugucomputing.wordpress.com/2018/11/11/experiment-on-sata_args-in-grub-cfg/

thnks.

my biggest problem time was finding how to change the satamap setting. if you do it thru the loader by pressing 'e' , is not perssistent. if you do it by removing the usb stick and opening on the computer by editing the grub file, file gets corrupted, if you do it by rebuilding the loader, you got the infamous (drive 3,4.... disable error).

i know that my setting should be 68 / 0004.

my onboard sata on my H81 Motherboard, has port 3,4 as ghost drives, so I get port 1,2,5,6 as fisical drives, on the pci side I get my other 8 ports.

Did you try and let it satamap for you? and fyi, peter suh made an auto script too you can execute from tc using wget https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/m.sh.gz; tar -zxvf m.sh.gz;

and if you use notepad++ to edit, nothing should get corrupt

Edited by phone guy

3 minutes ago, phone guy said:

Did you try and let it satamap for you? and fyi, peter suh made an auto script too you can execute from tc using wget https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/m.sh.gz; tar -zxvf m.sh.gz;

yea, 

sudo ./rploader.sh satamap now gives me 64/0004, it seems its reading the pci driver as a 4 port instead of 8

ill try peter suh's script right now

Edited by Jizar Stoffel

Just now, Jizar Stoffel said:

yea, 

sudo ./rploader.sh satamap now gives me 64/0004, it seems its reading the pci driver as a 4 port instead of 8

ill try peter suh's script right now

It probably is a 4 port with a multiplexer to switcn between 1-4 and 5-8, those will only work for what in front of the switch, so 4. Thats what I read anyway

44 minutes ago, Jizar Stoffel said:

switched my 4 PORT SATA PCI to a 8 PORT. to have a todal of 12 drives in my rig.

Ok, re reading, thats the culprit I almost guarantee... that card most likely uses a switch to get the 8 ports, so dsm wont work with sata pci switch, it only sees whats in front of the switch, which would be 4. You either need to use both cards (your 1st 4 port and the 2nd 8 port as a 4 port if you have the pci slots) or use a sas hba card in it mode and add mpt3sas driver ext. (dell h200/h310/lsi9211 8i/etc) to add 8 sata ports

Edited by phone guy

1 minute ago, Jizar Stoffel said:

@phone guy I ran wget https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/m.sh.gz; tar -zxvf m.sh.gz;

it create a m.sh on /home/tc

what I do now?

./m.sh

it will ask some questions, answer them. If you want it to answer Yes to everything then use

wget https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz; tar -zxvf my.sh.gz;

and run # ./my.sh

1 minute ago, Jizar Stoffel said:

oh crap.... hahahaha

so .... running ./m.sh DS3622xs+ does the whole procedure automatic???? I see

m.sh asks questions

my.sh answers Y automatically

myv.sh is for vms (and answers Y automatically)

You did read what I said about your 8 port sata card right?